Options

THE OFFICIAL NEW YORK METS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dont you hate statistics?
    to me sabermetrics are for gm's and people involved in baseball and not fantasy geeks or the average fan that want's to seem smarter then other fans

i don't hate them but when you talk bout them to other fans that's where i have the problem and won't discuss baseball with you ever. if you've noticed i stay away from having a convo with people on here that go by them for their arguments. i don't wanna learn bout these stats cause i'm not ever gonna be a gm with a degree from a ivy league school.

I see. I guess I just don't see how looking at baseball the same way the smartest people in the game look at it is a bad thing. I hear you though and no need to start up this argument.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I see. I guess I just don't see how looking at baseball the same way the smartest people in the game look at it is a bad thing. I hear you though and no need to start up this argument.
    not looking at it like it's a bad thing at all for a person to be into them. alota average fans aren't into them and don't really have the time to learn them and know how they work. i think it's cool people wanna be into them. alderson is a genius for revolutionizing the game forever. i guess i'm gonna have to get into them now considering this is how my gm will build my fave team. just don't know where to start really with them :lol::lol: .
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

not looking at it like it's a bad thing at all for a person to be into them. alota average fans aren't into them and don't really have the time to learn them and know how they work. i think it's cool people wanna be into them. alderson is a genius for revolutionizing the game forever. i guess i'm gonna have to get into them now considering this is how my gm will build my fave team. just don't know where to start really with them :lol::lol: .

http://www.fangraphs.com/

Thats a great site. Has a glossary and explanations of everything.
  • Options
    thanks cliffy

:thumbup:

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

http://www.fangraphs.com/

Thats a great site. Has a glossary and explanations of everything.

That site is great, especially for looking at pitch selection from year to year of pitchers.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    killmoretroutkillmoretrout Burque, NM Posts: 160
    Wow, Mets thread here, too? Awesome.

Really liking the Sandy choice. Adam Rubin had a nice run-down on the interview process and some really insightful post-hire tidbits from Sandy.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/new-york/ ... ing-points

Nice to hear a guy talk about shying away from 'second generation' long-term contracts and running a franchise with a sense of fiscal responsibility and emphasis on homegrown player development, whether it's a huge franchise or a small market one.

Don't wanna bash Omar too much or anything, but Sandy's a breath of very, very fresh air. Word on the street is that he's already trying to get his Nerd Herd disciples JP Ricciardi and Paul DePodesta on-board, too. I'm OK wit dat.

Lets go Mets.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'll bash Minaya.

His contracts to Perez and Castillo are laughed about around the league.

This team really went from a terrible GM to one of the best to ever do the job. I'm interested to see his choice for Manager. I wouldn't mind seeing Sandberg over Backman in any case. Did LaRussa re-sign with the Cards?
  • Options
    LaRussa did re-sign w/ the Cards. I'd be shocked if Sandberg got the Mets job.

Sandy's said he regards a manager similar to a corporate middle manager, an important cog, but ultimately someone who is there to carry out an overall organizational philosophy. Would love to see Bobby V. back, but not holding my breath. Backman's got a shot anyway (he told Rubin he's OK with 'fiery' and someone without major league experience). Maybe Bob Melvin. Chip Hale??

Ollie was a shit contract, for sure. But I honestly thought at the time there was potential for decent return. Beautiful mess, Ollie, when he was on.

Castillo's was horrible given the complete lack of competition for his services, which made the length + $$ all the more crazy.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    :lol: to this thread
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    I'll bash Minaya.

His contracts to Perez and Castillo are laughed about around the league.

This team really went from a terrible GM to one of the best to ever do the job. I'm interested to see his choice for Manager. I wouldn't mind seeing Sandberg over Backman in any case. Did LaRussa re-sign with the Cards?

ryno would be a great great choice and yes sandy did bring along his nerdy understudies which is another great move
    :lol: to this thread
    i thought the mets didn't matter to stankees fans. isn't that what you said last week :roll: :roll: :roll:

ROTLMFAO to the yankees old timers on the field who choked to the texas rangers. that's pretty fucking pathetic for a world series favorite :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    sooo it seems terry collins is the hot candidate to be next mets manager

i for one would love this. fiery manager for the mets would do great. i still want backman though.

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,833
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    X-Man, what do you think/know about the new manager?? We going all the way or what?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    X-Man, what do you think/know about the new manager?? We going all the way or what?

He managed the Angels before Scioscia. He was the minor league coordinator the last season, so if they go with some people from the system, they know him. A lot of people don't like managers who go 10 years in between jobs but I don't buy that. It's not like he hasn't been in baseball since his last managing job. Plus, anyone of us would be an upgrade in the managerial department over Chuckles Manuel.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    yea but a 2 year deal seems kinda odd doesn't it

• Options
    So when's DJ Carrassco bobblehead night and Ronny Paulino t-shirt night......
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Paulino's got good splits against lefties. Could be an OK platoon w/ Thole.

And DJ Carrassco... um... I love his dope house re-mixes of 80's pop songs?? Don't know really know who the hell he is, but his peripherals have been pretty good last few seasons. Alright by me.

Sandy tempered expectations for the offseason pretty well. Better than locking up a bunch of shit dudes for long years and big $$. They'll be a contender come 2k12, and if everything [EVERYTHING] goes right this year, they could win 85-ish.
  • Options
    Might as well start it now...

happyhalleedays.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    Might as well start it now...

happyhalleedays.jpg
    :roll:

might as well say NOONE CARES

• Options
    Was expecting a Merry Cliffmas, too. Thanks for going with the more 'all-purpose' Happy Hallidays.

Happy RA Dickey-mas. Nevermind.

Lets Go Mets.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,833
  • Options

Ozzie Guillen is much better at selling tickets than Sandy Alderson
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ozzie Guillen is much better at selling tickets than Sandy Alderson

Holy Crap....what was that

:lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Paulino's got good splits against lefties. Could be an OK platoon w/ Thole.

And DJ Carrassco... um... I love his dope house re-mixes of 80's pop songs?? Don't know really know who the hell he is, but his peripherals have been pretty good last few seasons. Alright by me.

Sandy tempered expectations for the offseason pretty well. Better than locking up a bunch of shit dudes for long years and big $$. They'll be a contender come 2k12, and if everything [EVERYTHING] goes right this year, they could win 85-ish.

dude, sandy alderson is the best thing to happen to the mets since steve phillips got busted banging that disgusting looking intern. I read something this week that said he was making the draft a priority and that the mets would be up there with the red sox and yanks as a top 5 team in terms of draft spending (currently they are in the bottom 10 of MLB...they are one of the few teams that stick to the MLB slotting recommendations).

alderson is gonna turn this mess around. it might take like 5 years, but he will at least have a plan that he will stick to. no more overpaying average/shitty latin american guys (ollie, castillo, etc).

as a phils fan I already miss omar...and phillips too
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

dude, sandy alderson is the best thing to happen to the mets since steve phillips got busted banging that disgusting looking intern. I read something this week that said he was making the draft a priority and that the mets would be up there with the red sox and yanks as a top 5 team in terms of draft spending (currently they are in the bottom 10 of MLB...they are one of the few teams that stick to the MLB slotting recommendations).

alderson is gonna turn this mess around. it might take like 5 years, but he will at least have a plan that he will stick to. no more overpaying average/shitty latin american guys (ollie, castillo, etc).

as a phils fan I already miss omar...and phillips too
    couldn't agree anymore with you then i already did before this post. they've only over slotted 2 times in recent years and both were boris clients, how shocking :roll: .

alderson will have this mess turned after this season

• Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    the mets....they still around?

things are soo bad it seems the phils have become the yanks new rival :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,761
    the mets....they still around?

things are soo bad it seems the phils have become the yanks new rival :lol:

Umm, Red Sox? :?

It's a lot more fun to compete with the Mets instead of the Braves - plenty of Mets fans to make fun of. :P
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Pretty big news today...
  • Options
    I've got $13 bucks. Who's with me?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,504
    what's the news?
    chinese-happy.jpg