*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    i'm surprised you like ellis considering how much you grew to hate lou williams...

i like a player like that off the bench like with lou. instant offense. i'm not sure i want this guy hoisting up over 20 shots a game with this team. takes too much away from holiday and turner (turner would battle thad for small forward if this trade goes down). ellis' contract runs the same length as iguadala's too. i actually agree with that last sentence of that article i posted before too. i'd rather the turkelou (no idea how to spell that) deal than this one just for the flexibility they'd have in 2013.

definitely gonna be interesting. i like the fact that thorn realizes iguadala needs to go though. him not showing up for his exit interview certainly rubbed thorn the wrong way. this ric bucher guy on espn is saying he'll definitely be traded by the end of the month. we shall see.

and apparently thorn's got free reign to make deals while the sale goes through. so that's good.
    www.myspace.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the difference between monta and lou is that monta can generate his own shot and get to the rim ... he is a volume shooter but i think that's reflective of the system he's been in for a few years ... having said that - it'll be tough to pair him up with jrue in the backcourt as they will be real small at the 1 and 2 ...

as y'all know ... i'm a fan of igoudala ... he is definitely overpaid but i like his game and i think he is a great piece as long as there are other pieces around him to suit his talents ... i suspect he's gonna be one of those guys you don't miss until he's gone ... and you see the little things he did on the court ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    the difference between monta and lou is that monta can generate his own shot and get to the rim ... he is a volume shooter but i think that's reflective of the system he's been in for a few years ... having said that - it'll be tough to pair him up with jrue in the backcourt as they will be real small at the 1 and 2 ...

as y'all know ... i'm a fan of igoudala ... he is definitely overpaid but i like his game and i think he is a great piece as long as there are other pieces around him to suit his talents ... i suspect he's gonna be one of those guys you don't miss until he's gone ... and you see the little things he did on the court ...

and with turner at the 3 and brand at 4, that's gotta make them the smallest team in the league i would imagine.

i appreciate iguadala and what he brings. but a move will probably be best for him and the team long term though. just don't think monta ellis is what i want in return right now...
    www.myspace.com
    and with turner at the 3 and brand at 4, that's gotta make them the smallest team in the league i would imagine.

i appreciate iguadala and what he brings. but a move will probably be best for him and the team long term though. just don't think monta ellis is what i want in return right now...

i think the best you can do is a high draft pick and some pylon with a bad contract ... it's similar to when the raptors were trading vince ... at least you have a guy who WANTS to play there right now so you have some leverage in deals ...

in any case - until they resolve the CBA ... i'd be surprised if anyone made a significant deal ...
    polaris_x wrote:

i think the best you can do is a high draft pick and some pylon with a bad contract ... it's similar to when the raptors were trading vince ... at least you have a guy who WANTS to play there right now so you have some leverage in deals ...

in any case - until they resolve the CBA ... i'd be surprised if anyone made a significant deal ...

he wants out. didn't attend the exit interview. at this point i'd be surprised if a deal isn't made by the draft or end of month. thorn's actively shopping him.
    www.myspace.com
    he wants out. didn't attend the exit interview. at this point i'd be surprised if a deal isn't made by the draft or end of month. thorn's actively shopping him.

didn't know that ... that hurts the leverage ...
    polaris_x wrote:

didn't know that ... that hurts the leverage ...

true...but then you have teams like golden state who need to make a move before or at the draft.

speaking of vince carter. it's the 10 year anniversary of the '01 sixers finals team. i was watching highlights of that game 7 where he almost hit that shot.......almost :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    i'm surprised you like ellis considering how much you grew to hate lou williams...

I just said he's fun to watch. lou williams couldn't hold ellis' jock strap. they arent even close as far as talent...no contest.
    heard on the radio today that more NBA teams lost money last year than made money. :lol:

this league could fold tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it.
    edited June 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

I just said he's fun to watch. lou williams couldn't hold ellis' jock strap. they arent even close as far as talent...no contest.

no doubt ellis is more talented. he's a full time starter. williams comes off the bench. their games are similiar though.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    ...aaaaaaaaaand now let the chris kaman rumors heat up again. :lol:
    www.myspace.com

these iguodala rumors have been disappointing thusfar.

Kaman and Hawes :lol::lol::lol:
    The Fixer wrote:

not sure what you expected.

latest i heard had the clips throwing in the t wolves' 2012 1st round pick.

expiring contract (he only has 1 year left, he's an upgrade over hawes, plus gives us trade bait at deadline)+ high draft pick = all. day. long.

if you can get that pick, i would definitely do that trade. next year's draft is expected to be much better than this year's. also turns team over to jrue and evan. boom.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

expiring contract (he only has 1 year left, he's an upgrade over hawes, plus gives us trade bait at deadline)+ high draft pick = all. day. long.

if you can get that pick, i would definitely do that trade. next year's draft is expected to be much better than this year's. also turns team over to jrue and evan. boom.

didn't konw there was a pick included. that's big. that's what they should be trying to get

the expiring contract thing is the main reason I said the dalembert trade sucked (well, and getting hawes and especially nocioni). for some reason everyone but me loved that deal. weird
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

didn't konw there was a pick included. that's big. that's what they should be trying to get

the expiring contract thing is the main reason I said the dalembert trade sucked (well, and getting hawes and especially nocioni). for some reason everyone but me loved that deal. weird

there were more things at play with the dalembert trade as we've discussed many times. the new coach didn't want his lazy habits/bad attitude affecting his team. addition by subtraction even if you may have gotten a little more at the deadline (worth noting that the kings couldn't get anything for him at the deadline though).

gonna be an interesting couple weeks...
    www.myspace.com

there were more things at play with the dalembert trade as we've discussed many times. the new coach didn't want his lazy habits/bad attitude affecting his team. addition by subtraction even if you may have gotten a little more at the deadline (worth noting that the kings couldn't get anything for him at the deadline though).

honestly would you make the dalembert trade over again? I'd rather have his cap space than the 500 season and first round ass kicking. not to mention he would have been their best frontcourt defender by the longest of long shots.

I was never a fan of the guy, but that trade was dumb
    The Fixer wrote:

honestly would you make the dalembert trade over again? I'd rather have his cap space than the 500 season and first round ass kicking. not to mention he would have been their best frontcourt defender by the longest of long shots.

I was never a fan of the guy, but that trade was dumb

i dunno man. it's in the past. there's no use in still being hung up on it.

you're kind of contradicting yourself there too. you say you'd rather have the cap space instead of a .500 season but say he would have been their best front court defender...which, under that thinking, would've meant they still would have been a 40-ish win team. and i disagree that they got their ass kicked. i think they played the heat about as good as anyone else other than the mavs....and that's the kind of playoff experience i was hoping for with these young bucks since last summer. that's a different discussion though.

i don't know if i would do the trade again. but if they're able to dump nocioni's salary this offseason (he only has this yr left--last is a team option) you can argue they're roughly in kind of the same shape than if they kept dalember if not better. you're clearly not a hawes fan, and neither am i as a starter, but he's serviceable as a backup. looks like they will bring him back in that role. 22 year old 7 footers with decent touch don't grow on trees. we wouldn't have that if we kept dalembert.
    www.myspace.com

you're kind of contradicting yourself there too. you say you'd rather have the cap space instead of a .500 season but say he would have been their best front court defender...which, under that thinking, would've meant they still would have been a 40-ish win team. and i disagree that they got their ass kicked. i think they played the heat about as good as anyone else other than the mavs....and that's the kind of playoff experience i was hoping for with these young bucks since last summer. that's a different discussion though.

i don't know if i would do the trade again. but if they're able to dump nocioni's salary this offseason (he only has this yr left--last is a team option) you can argue they're roughly in kind of the same shape than if they kept dalember if not better. you're clearly not a hawes fan, and neither am i as a starter, but he's serviceable as a backup. looks like they will bring him back in that role. 22 year old 7 footers with decent touch don't grow on trees. we wouldn't have that if we kept dalembert.

yeah, I meant they would have had a better team and the cap space if they would have kept dalembert. or possibly made a move at the deadline (the expiring contract increasing their leverage for a pick or something useful...ie not nocioni or hawes)

hawes is a free agent right? they could have always just signed him. or...wait for it...maybe signed someone that can play defense and rebound.
    he's a restricted free agent so it's easier for us to sign him.

be nice if this bioymbo cat falls into our laps...
    www.myspace.com
    they just need some presence in the paint...on both ends of the court. turner's gotta start this year too.

I'd love to see them move brand and iguodala. just think about how athletic this team would be if they signed josh smith instead of brand that offseason.
    The Fixer wrote:
    they just need some presence in the paint...on both ends of the court. turner's gotta start this year too.

I'd love to see them move brand and iguodala. just think about how athletic this team would be if they signed josh smith instead of brand that offseason.

woulda coulda shoulda my friend. but smith was a restricted fa back then and i remember something about him kind of just playing us to get a better deal from atlanta...

i don't have any problems with brand though.
    www.myspace.com
    loooong read. but a good one about the 3 rumored trades so far. i pretty much agree with this assesment, though this guy would rather keep iguadala. i thought turkogluo only had a year left on his contract. since he doesn't, that trade blows. of the 3, you gotta do the kaman deal if you can get the clips to sweeten the pot a bit:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger ... rouq-aminu

Monta Ellis: I don't like this deal at all. In fact, I hate it. Both players have salaries that are close enough to be traded straight up. Ellis is paid less, and a trade like this would save you 11 million dollars. The problem is that Ellis happens to be signed for the exact same length of time as Iguodala, so you aren't making this move as a salary dump. It does save you money, but hardly enough to create significant cap space before Iguodala's salary would have gone off the books. This would solely be a move that in theory makes the Sixers better on the court.
    That would be an absolute shame too, because Ellis is not the player Iguodala is, nor does he solve any of the Sixers' problems. First, comparing the two players, Iguodala does many things well and Ellis does one thing well, scoring. Thing is, how well does he do it? The points per game crowd would tend to favor his scoring average over Iguodala. They also may be shocked to find out that out of the six years they both have played in the league, Iguodala has had a higher true shooting percentage (IMO the best way to measure how efficiently a guy scores) four of those years, including the last two of the last three. Last year, when Eliis had a very good year by his standards, he was marginally better than Iguodala, with .536 TS% to Dre's .530. I will acknowledge that a higher offensive burden and a bad injury for Ellis needs to be taken into account, but trading for his scoring is lunacy! They would acquire the guy for one reason, to score, but the guy we are trading does it just as efficiently as he does. Not to mention, how does Ellis perform not playing in an up and down system?

The idea of this team "needing a scorer" also is a really foolish claim to make, and many are making it to justify the potential trade. If that's code for a volume shooter who does little else, than I'll pass. Speaking of passing, I'm probably not being fair to Ellis, who does that pretty well. It's just that Iguodala's better at that too (more assists, less turnovers) and needs the ball a lot less to accomplish it, but we'll get into that later. Some teams might be able to use Ellis as a scorer like the Bulls use Derrick Rose and the Sixers used to deploy Allen Iverson, with good defenders all around him. I don't know, a team like Charlotte or Milwaukee might be good fits off the top of my head.

Anyone who says this team "needs a scorer" before mentioning a big man who can defend and rebound is wrong though. Thaddeus Young can score. Lou Williams can score. Elton Brand can score. Jodie Meeks can score. Jrue Holiday can score. There has been such an overreaction to the Miami series, where the team struggled in the half-court against the Heat. Newsflash: Everyone in the Eastern Conference struggled in the half-court against Miami. That's no reason to make a panic trade because of it.

The worst part of this potential trade is the impact on Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner. If you believe that those two players are the Sixers' future backcourt (Some don't with Turner, but continue with me), having a guy like Monta Ellis would not help their growth. These two guys need to be our offensive initiators in the future, and Ellis simply is a ball stopper. He used 30 percent of the team's possessions in Golden State and Steph Curry was on his team. I don't think having Jrue on the team will faze him either. Not to mention Lou Williams, who really is a very similar player to Ellis, is already on this team and will also play heavy minutes. There were complaints about Iguodala needing the ball too much for Jrue and Turner to grow. If Ellis and his robust usage rate came to town, Jrue and Turner might both really struggle as long as he is on the team. The type of player to play alongside Jrue and Turner would ideally be a three-point shooter who can defend. I'd suggest Dorell Wright from Golden State as a good example.

Defensively, you are trading one of the league's best defenders for one of the worst. Doug Collins did a great job getting this team's defense into the Top 10 despite having a terrible defender at the 5 and an old one at the 4. This team needed a stopper in Iguodala to keep them afloat on that end. With Ellis, I don't want to think about how many guys Spencer Hawes and Elton Brand are going to have to stop at the rim. Did I mention Lou would still be on the team too?

The people in Golden State are looking to get rid of Ellis because they are finding it hard to have two guys under 6'3 play defense consistently. That's a fair point, and it is exactly the situation the Sixers would be in. Jrue Holiday has great defensive potential and has the size to defend twos (He did an admirable job guarding Wade), but I don't want to force Jrue Holiday into guarding shooting guards. This is a point guard's league, and I think the Sixers have a guy equipped to handle the focal point of most teams' offense. Why switch such a valuable weapon up? This trade really doesn't help in any way in my opinion.

Chris Kaman: I'd rank this move a little ahead of the Ellis trade, which isn't exactly a compliment. Make no mistake, Kaman is a worse player than Ellis at this point, but there are a couple of reasons that this would be a better deal. The move would be more of a salary dump, because Kaman has one year left on his deal and has value as a large expiring contract. He also is an upgrade over Hawes in the position of need. He really isn't an athletic defensive big at all though, the goal for trading Iguodala. I think the Sixers can do better than this. Straight up, you can't make that trade.
    Luckily, the Clippers have more pieces. I'd probably want Aminu and maybe a pick back from them, but they have the pieces to reasonably make a fair trade. It would be a robbery if they got Iguodala straight up for Kaman. If they can't get a young big, Aminu might help as a guy that is athletic on the perimeter with a solid three point shot. Maybe the Sixers can use the pick to draft a young defensive big too. If the Sixers got a few pieces back, a move centered around Kaman isn't terrible.

Hedo Turkoglu: I don't want to address this deal, even if they throw Jameer Nelson in it. I would hope the Sixers do the same. I'm a huge fan of Jameer's, but we have a point guard and no use for him. Hedo's contract is just as long at Iguodala's and he is only good at getting fan bases to hate him. No thank you.
    So there it is. I really hope the Sixers don't make a trade that will set them back. Right now, I think they can be a team that is around 45 wins and possibly closer to 50 if they can find a way to get a legit defensive big in the middle. With Monta Ellis instead of Iguodala, I'd be pretty surprised if they won more games than they lost next year. Holding onto Iguodala wouldn't be a bad thing at all for this team if they can't get a good offer. Hopefully the front office realizes that too.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    AI back to the sixers :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    AI back to the sixers :?:

I hope no one signs that loser.
    Here comes the pick
    awesome. another white center that shoots jump shots. hopefully there are some trades coming
    not who i would have taken with faried still available. but they needed a big man and got the biggest dude in the whole draft. bit of an upgrade over hawes, especially offensively. bit of a presence in the post. needs to improve on the defensive end.

sam amick and chad ford like him and i respect their opinions. amick's summary:
    There wasn't much size in the draft, and Vucevic can provide that and much more for a team that was relying on Spencer Hawes at the center spot. Vucevic is a physical and solid player who measured out as the biggest prospect of this class. His improved post game and mid-range game played a big part in his rise, too.

i think the combo of the pending sale/lockout may have squelched the iguadala trade talks. looooong offseason ahead.
    www.myspace.com
    by the way, i loved how espn spent 10 minutes talking about the knicks (5 mins before their pick and 5 mins after) and spent about 30 seconds talking about the sixers. :roll:

funny to see their fans boo their pick though :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    by the way, i loved how espn spent 10 minutes talking about the knicks (5 mins before their pick and 5 mins after) and spent about 30 seconds talking about the sixers. :roll:

Dude Sixers took is solid. won't be a star but that is what you get at 16. just hope be can bring a bit of an attitude. Hawes is not exactly the most physical guy. and i like taking Lavoy Allen in the 2nd round. he has NBA talent and should be a real solid rebounder at worst. i think he could end up being a solid NBA guy.

as for the Knicks i had flipped it over and saw that pick - that guy sucks. shocked he was a 1st rounder. Was never really all that impressed with him in college.
    pjhawks wrote:

Dude Sixers took is solid. won't be a star but that is what you get at 16. just hope be can bring a bit of an attitude. Hawes is not exactly the most physical guy. and i like taking Lavoy Allen in the 2nd round. he has NBA talent and should be a real solid rebounder at worst. i think he could end up being a solid NBA guy.

as for the Knicks i had flipped it over and saw that pick - that guy sucks. shocked he was a 1st rounder. Was never really all that impressed with him in college.

yeah i liked taking a chance on allen in the 2nd round. dude can rebound.
    www.myspace.com