Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,877
    Hey now. Had that misc debris on cd. Gonzo!
  • Options

Had no idea GI was making music in 87, wow.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2023

They put out one more in 88 (called Crash) I think. Those two albums are more melodic and influenced by the proto-goth releases by the Damned. The hardcore purists may not have liked it, but I did. 
  • Options

They put out one more in 88 (called Crash) I think. Those two albums are more melodic and influenced by the proto-goth releases by the Damned. The hardcore purists may not have liked it, but I did. 
    Yeah I might not enjoy it then.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Loujoe said:
    Was the last Primus album I needed to complete the vinyl set. 

After grabbing that LC box set you let me know about from Club Bastardo, the only two I won’t own are:
    - Oysterhead
    - Holy Mackerel (not released on wax)
    - Electric Apricot Soundtrack (not released on wax)
    - June 20 Rehearsal EP (not released on wax)
    - Beanpole - All My Kin

I wouldn’t buy They Can’t All Be Zingers…. It’s a “best of” that’s only on cd 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    Just in, these two amazing LPs .  Gave them a spin this evening. David Murray Octet: New Life, and World Saxophone Quartet, Dances and Ballads.
    Wow! 
    IMG

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,877
    Loujoe said:

After grabbing that LC box set you let me know about from Club Bastardo, the only two I won’t own are:
    - Oysterhead
    - Beanpole - All My Kin

Very fancy. Well done. All My Kin I tried to order, site said had one. Got canceled. Sold out. Very ultra odd one I think. Will have to seek out some more songs later. Seems like it would be kind of easy to find due to its horrendousnessssssss. I'll keep an eye out.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Loujoe said:

- Oysterhead
    - Beanpole - All My Kin

Very fancy. Well done. All My Kin I tried to order, site said had one. Got canceled. Sold out. Very ultra odd one I think. Will have to seek out some more songs later. Seems like it would be kind of easy to find due to its horrendousnessssssss. I'll keep an eye out.
    There is one on discogs. Waaaaaay too expensive 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684
    Hackneyed Diamonds..

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860

I just picked this up last week. Been bugging Tom for a copy of Sleep In The Trees (just called "Sleep" on this release) for a few years now (only available on an Australian single that was way too expensive). He told me he loved the track, but looked on all his digital devices and couldn't find it. I guess he found it. I tweeted this and he said "damn, forgot about the "in the trees" part of the title" and also said "and this track was a precursor to the stuff I started with Lee Harvey Osmond". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hackneyed Diamonds..

How does it sound? 
  • Options

I just picked this up last week. Been bugging Tom for a copy of Sleep In The Trees (just called "Sleep" on this release) for a few years now (only available on an Australian single that was way too expensive). He told me he loved the track, but looked on all his digital devices and couldn't find it. I guess he found it. I tweeted this and he said "damn, forgot about the "in the trees" part of the title" and also said "and this track was a precursor to the stuff I started with Lee Harvey Osmond". 
    Nice! I have to admit, this was about as far into Tom Wilson that I got. I saw Junkhouse a couple times. Great live band 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hackneyed Diamonds..

How does it sound? 
    Few notes here. https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/243155/the-rolling-stones-thread#latest
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860

Nice! I have to admit, this was about as far into Tom Wilson that I got. I saw Junkhouse a couple times. Great live band 
    one canadian band I never got to see. only came here 3 times before they broke up. they are playing a few reunion shows for the anniversary, but just around the southern ontario area. no tour planned that I know of.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Moving back to Calgary in the new year, taking advantage of the cheap prices and shipping to my US address on the other side of 49. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

one canadian band I never got to see. only came here 3 times before they broke up. they are playing a few reunion shows for the anniversary, but just around the southern ontario area. no tour planned that I know of.  
    I am going to have to find those concert dates and book a business trip to southern Ontario around one of those shows. 
  • Options
    Got my Bday present.  Woohoo!

Inzombia album - Wikipedia
    Slant 6 was a mid 90's post punk group on Dischord records.  Good stuff and long out of print.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    ^^^ good Dischord shit
  • Options
    Just outstanding in every way.  I have four excellent AB-1006 versions and this beats them easily.  When these were announced I knew there was lots of room to improve for Thrill,  Pretzel,  basically everything but Gaucho and Aja.  I was a little skeptical how much better it could get.  And the answer is, a lot better. 

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047
    mrussel1 said:
    Just outstanding in every way.  I have four excellent AB-1006 versions and this beats them easily.  When these were announced I knew there was lots of room to improve for Thrill,  Pretzel,  basically everything but Gaucho and Aja.  I was a little skeptical how much better it could get.  And the answer is, a lot better. 

I've been trying to resist this purchase.  I might have to cave.

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Do you have an original?
  • Options
    Finally!!  Plus it arrived about 3 weeks early.  Can't beat that. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

How's the sound?  My copy arrived yesterday, but my receiver is getting an upgrade, so I have to wait to listen.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 640
    mrussel1 said:

This the DMB store exclusive? Got my shipping notification earlier this week, but it hasn't moved yet. Very anxious for it to arrive and to finally be able to spin it. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    DC29940 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This the DMB store exclusive? Got my shipping notification earlier this week, but it hasn't moved yet. Very anxious for it to arrive and to finally be able to spin it. 
    Yes it's from the Warehouse, red and blue.  For me, it only goes 60 miles so it came fast.  Regarding the quality, here is what I just posted to Discogs.  

Seems good, not great. The lacquer cut seems well done and no surface noise. If we believe the credits on this page, then it’s easy to conclude this is the same master as 1998, rather than starting over like they did with Crash. Hopefully what we have is something like a 24-192 pressing. I’d put this at the same level as UTTAD, and far below Crash. But it is what it is. If it was recorded digitally, then that’s what we have. I’m still glad to have it after all of these years.

Edit - I just did a little test. I compared my 1998 CD (ripped by EAC, direct USB-A xfer on JRiver to Mcintosh C49 and its DAC) and compared that to the new record. Because the audio level is dramatically different between the cd rip and the vinyl, I could not level them on the Mcintosh easily. So I used my amp switch and listened to teh vinyl on a 1971 Marantz 2245. I would say the Mc has the advantage here. Comparing the two, flipping back and forth, I can definitely say the vinyl is better than the 98 cd. But it's not really separation or imaging, it's depth. The music is just deeper and fuller. It's not a huge difference, but the vinyl is better. So hooray for that.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Do you have an original?

I do, but it's far from perfect in terms of condition.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    DC29940 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes it's from the Warehouse, red and blue.  For me, it only goes 60 miles so it came fast.  Regarding the quality, here is what I just posted to Discogs.  

Seems good, not great. The lacquer cut seems well done and no surface noise. If we believe the credits on this page, then it’s easy to conclude this is the same master as 1998, rather than starting over like they did with Crash. Hopefully what we have is something like a 24-192 pressing. I’d put this at the same level as UTTAD, and far below Crash. But it is what it is. If it was recorded digitally, then that’s what we have. I’m still glad to have it after all of these years.

Edit - I just did a little test. I compared my 1998 CD (ripped by EAC, direct USB-A xfer on JRiver to Mcintosh C49 and its DAC) and compared that to the new record. Because the audio level is dramatically different between the cd rip and the vinyl, I could not level them on the Mcintosh easily. So I used my amp switch and listened to teh vinyl on a 1971 Marantz 2245. I would say the Mc has the advantage here. Comparing the two, flipping back and forth, I can definitely say the vinyl is better than the 98 cd. But it's not really separation or imaging, it's depth. The music is just deeper and fuller. It's not a huge difference, but the vinyl is better. So hooray for that.

I was able to listen to the black vinyl, I received from Amazon. I did have to clean the record a few times, quite dirty.  I agree with your assessment.  I too, I'm glad to have this album on wax!  The jacket and booklet are very nice!  
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    Three new-to-me additions to my World Saxophone Quartet LPs,  I love these guys!
    Primary
    Primary
    Primary

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.