Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,626
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Apparently I ordered this a while ago,  and decided two MOFIS and a KG stereo version is not enough.  This is Ryan Smith,  Sterling,  RTI, mono.  
    Let me know which pressing you prefer. I've only got a cheap copy atm and want to upgrade to better quality. 

Yeah, I'm curious too.  I only have a '97 CD (Columbia CK 64935) because the better vinyl pressing are either hard to come by or sky-high price wise.
    I shall let you konw.  This was $30 new on Discogs, so I think that's reasonable if it sounds great.  It's form 2013 so becoming more scarce.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Apparently I ordered this a while ago,  and decided two MOFIS and a KG stereo version is not enough.  This is Ryan Smith,  Sterling,  RTI, mono.  
    Let me know which pressing you prefer. I've only got a cheap copy atm and want to upgrade to better quality. 

Yeah, I'm curious too.  I only have a '97 CD (Columbia CK 64935) because the better vinyl pressing are either hard to come by or sky-high price wise.
    I shall let you konw.  This was $30 new on Discogs, so I think that's reasonable if it sounds great.  It's form 2013 so becoming more scarce.

Very reasonable, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Can't wait to spin this tonight. Really need to find a copy of Massey Hall for a good price at some point too. 
    I was going to ask you if it was worth getting considering the beauty of Massey.  Every song on here is on Massey. 
    I love Massey but this is a good set from the same era if someone can't get a hold of Massey now since it's out of print. I think Massey was possibly  more "formal" and YS is a little more relaxed. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

The 45 RPM is the way to go in Stereo, The KG is good for a single LP. I have never had a good mono, so let me know also.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    mrussel1 said:

I have this. You won’t be disappointed. 
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

The 45 RPM is the way to go in Stereo, The KG is good for a single LP. I have never had a good mono, so let me know also.
    This mono is great.  @1ThoughtKnown is right.  Ryan Smith has yet to disappoint me.  

This is a very good sounding record.  The mix is definitely different than the MOFI and KG's that I have.  The bass is back a bit and the piano is more forward.  Very clear, but not to the point of 'analytical'.  I really like the mono sound as sometimes jazz can be a bit too hard panned in stereo.  Overall I would highly recommend, particularly if you can find in the 30-35 dollar range.  You won't get near a 45x2 without paying 2-3x unless you catch a MOFI drop.  If you want to nerd out, here's the details from Fremer.  He gives it an "11" in sound quality.  I don't know that I'd go that high, but it matches my others.  It's just a bit different in the mix and it being mono.  https://www.analogplanet.com/content/miles-davis-kind-blue-monophonic-reissue-sonylegacy-analog-planet-exclusive
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 635

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    A question:

What is it that makes the original 1 LP press of Viatlogy better than the 2 LP re-issue? In the mix, or in the quality or whatever`?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    A question:

What is it that makes the original 1 LP press of Viatlogy better than the 2 LP re-issue? In the mix, or in the quality or whatever`?
    The reissue sounds like it has a veil over it.  I think it's lifeless.  The original explodes of the TT comparatively.  Vs is the same. 
  • Options
    dufferduffer Posts: 135

Sat drinking wine
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,688

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    mickeyrat said:

Well that explains it. 
  • Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388
    duffer said:

I’m jealous!!! How’s it sound??? They are putting out three records this year!!! 
    I want KB vinyl so bad but it’s impossible to find in Canada, and their shipping rates are astronomical 😕. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    A question:

The reissue sounds like it has a veil over it.  I think it's lifeless.  The original explodes of the TT comparatively.  Vs is the same. 
    What he said. 100% It's not close.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    A question:

What he said. 100% It's not close.

guess I own 2 copies now. sealed 94 pressing and the reissue
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I culled 5 LPs from my collection today.  Whatcha think?  Do we want an "I just culled _________ on vinyl!"  thread?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I culled 5 LPs from my collection today.  Whatcha think?  Do we want an "I just culled _________ on vinyl!"  thread?

maybe I am planning to.....?

someone here may want something?

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Good idea with the 'plan to' before the 'just culled'.  Someone's trash is another's treasure. Yaknow....
  • Options
    Picked up binural, riot act and avacado from here. Been putting it off and if they sold out I'd regret not having them.
    End of confession
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

maybe I am planning to.....?

someone here may want something?

Good idea though I maybe best over in Lost Dogs.

• Options
    am out of control.....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    am out of control.....

Whoa!  Nice times 24!
    For some reason, I have a particular fondness for that Hendrix Winterland LP, haha!
    Would love to hear what you think of the Monk, Underground.  It's always intrigued me but the mixed reviews have left me wondering how it is.

• Options
    You did great mickeyrat. Get lost in those blind faith jams.  Good stuff!!
  • Options
    dufferduffer Posts: 135
    toolie said:
    duffer said:

I’m jealous!!! How’s it sound??? They are putting out three records this year!!! 
    I want KB vinyl so bad but it’s impossible to find in Canada, and their shipping rates are astronomical 😕. 
    It sounds fantastic,a really good pressing. I'll definitely be keeping an eye/ear out for the others.
    Sat drinking wine
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    TUSK rules.  Don't let nobody tell you different.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,345
    I was able to get a last minute shop by appointment time  today...

Cool Hendrix box for dirt cheap!
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    mickeyrat said:
    am out of control.....

I saw the used kids video and went to get that Neil young everybody copy....  you beat me to it!
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    am out of control.....

I saw the used kids video and went to get that Neil young everybody copy....  you beat me to it!

those 3 bins on the end cap..... get me every time.

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    ...But he never meant shit to me!!!!

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018