Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Mr. Cave and company's most excellent (minus the last song), The Boatman's Call (2014 BMG/Mute vinyl re-issue):

I need to listen more to them.  They do the soundtrack top Peaky Blinders and I dig it. 
    I'll check that one out!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Mr. Cave and company's most excellent (minus the last song), The Boatman's Call (2014 BMG/Mute vinyl re-issue):

I need to listen more to them.  They do the soundtrack top Peaky Blinders and I dig it. 
    I'll check that one out!  :smiley:
    Great show
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 635

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    Which pressing of Definitely Maybe is that?   Saw a nice silver one.  Wondering how it sounds
    Spun Definitely Maybe this afternoon. Great sounding pressing. Would highly recommend.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    DC29940 said:
    Which pressing of Definitely Maybe is that?   Saw a nice silver one.  Wondering how it sounds
    Spun Definitely Maybe this afternoon. Great sounding pressing. Would highly recommend.
    Awesome. Thanks man
  • Options
    Maybe the loveliest album ever written, and on vinyl it's just exquisite.  Every few years Newbury does an exclusive pressing.  This one was just announced. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Maybe the loveliest album ever written, and on vinyl it's just exquisite.  Every few years Newbury does an exclusive pressing.  This one was just announced. 

That was an RSD isuue too.  I have that version.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

YES!  LOVE IT!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I scored big time today while down in Sacramento.  Came across a very minty Minutemen The Punch Line on SST Records (#004!) for $8   It's worth almost ten times that much in this condition.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    edited October 2019
    brianlux said:
    I scored big time today while down in Sacramento.  Came across a very minty Minutemen The Punch Line on SST Records (#004!) for $8   It's worth almost ten times that much in this condition.

Nice find @brianlux :clap:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Brian if there is one rare record there are more!  Go back to that spot and see what else they have!!!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Brian if there is one rare record there are more!  Go back to that spot and see what else they have!!!
    The store is sort of a this-and-that kind of place- records, CDs, toys, t-shirts, etc., so their record section is fairly small and I went through everything they had and picked up a few others, but nothing real exciting.  But I will return fairly often to poke around!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    Is he responsible for the poor vinyl pressings?
    More than I am. :) 
    It's very frustrating to buy new vinyl that has defects right out of the package!
    Should have kept the receipt. But buying it at the supermarket I didn't think about it and threw it like I do all supermarket receipts.
    The record store I liked to frequent closed earlier this year, as the owner and his wife retired.  The other two near me are run by dicks (basically) so I don't feel the need to patronize them.  So now I'm free to buy from Amazon (and Ebay too).  If there's something wrong with the Amazon record, I have no problem returning it.  
    The problem with that for me is Amazon.  They want to put all family owned brick and mortar stores out of business and they treat their employees like slaves. 

We don't have a decent record store anywhere near us these days either so I either order from independent stores I know of outside my area like the very cool Red Devil Records in San Rafael, California, or Discogs, or as a last resort, eBay. 
    I know the problem with Amazon and go to them last.  But I'd rather pay them than the douches at Plan9 in a Richmond. I do ebay as well but always seem to end up at the monster seller called get_import_cd.  They have 2.5 million reviews.  Im not sure of that's better than Amazon or not. 
    I hear you about get_import_cd.  I bought something from them years- a record that was slapped between two thin pieces of cardboard.  Not what I would call "sturdy" packaging!  

Have you had any luck with Discogs?  I like some of the sellers there and always go with either the ones I've had good buying with or that have good reviews.  I always read the rating reviews.
    Yes bought a ton of used there,  especially when looking for a specific pressing.  I've had about 80% success.  You're right,  the reviews are key because there's a bunch a amateurs there.  I bought Cars Moving in Stereo two weeks ago.  4 days after ordering,  I got a message that the order was cancelled.  That's annoying.  I ended up buying it from an Ebay seller out of California that I've used a few times.  Called Packman I think. 
    I've had better experiences with discogs than I have ebay. Discogs is a major go-to for me - ebay is a last resort. I find that basically everyone bullshits about the vinyl grading on ebay. I don't think I've ever received an honest grading there at all, unless it's a sealed product. At least discogs specializes in vinyl/music, so has more audiophiles and record stores participating (I know my favorite record store deals with discogs only, not ebay). Ebay is more of a random free for all, and I think way more shady people go there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!
    It's very frustrating to buy new vinyl that has defects right out of the package!
    Should have kept the receipt. But buying it at the supermarket I didn't think about it and threw it like I do all supermarket receipts.
    The record store I liked to frequent closed earlier this year, as the owner and his wife retired.  The other two near me are run by dicks (basically) so I don't feel the need to patronize them.  So now I'm free to buy from Amazon (and Ebay too).  If there's something wrong with the Amazon record, I have no problem returning it.  
    The problem with that for me is Amazon.  They want to put all family owned brick and mortar stores out of business and they treat their employees like slaves. 

We don't have a decent record store anywhere near us these days either so I either order from independent stores I know of outside my area like the very cool Red Devil Records in San Rafael, California, or Discogs, or as a last resort, eBay. 
    I know the problem with Amazon and go to them last.  But I'd rather pay them than the douches at Plan9 in a Richmond. I do ebay as well but always seem to end up at the monster seller called get_import_cd.  They have 2.5 million reviews.  Im not sure of that's better than Amazon or not. 
    I hear you about get_import_cd.  I bought something from them years- a record that was slapped between two thin pieces of cardboard.  Not what I would call "sturdy" packaging!  

Have you had any luck with Discogs?  I like some of the sellers there and always go with either the ones I've had good buying with or that have good reviews.  I always read the rating reviews.
    Yes bought a ton of used there,  especially when looking for a specific pressing.  I've had about 80% success.  You're right,  the reviews are key because there's a bunch a amateurs there.  I bought Cars Moving in Stereo two weeks ago.  4 days after ordering,  I got a message that the order was cancelled.  That's annoying.  I ended up buying it from an Ebay seller out of California that I've used a few times.  Called Packman I think. 
    I've had better experiences with discogs than I have ebay. Discogs is a major go-to for me - ebay is a last resort. I find that basically everyone bullshits about the vinyl grading on ebay. I don't think I've ever received an honest grading there at all, unless it's a sealed product. At least discogs specializes in vinyl/music, so has more audiophiles and record stores participating (I know my favorite record store deals with discogs only, not ebay). Ebay is more of a random free for all, and I think way more shady people go there.
    Agreed.  I should have said that I buy new records on Ebay.  I don't think I've ever bought used anywhere but discogs or in person. 
  • Options
    Just picked up:

The Weeks- Two Moons
    Thee Oh Sees- Grave Blockers
    James Brown- The Payback
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
    ^^^snagged the payback that was moldy. Plays great but trying to figure out what to do with the jacket. Damaged and nasty.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2019
    Just received the Tragically Hip's Day for Night half speed master release. I haven't played it yet (can't wait!!), but just the packaging is rather beautiful. The whole silver part is actually more like a mirror.

Funeral Sky, the first album from Reuben and the Dark, which is a Canadian band (that is recently catching some attention - one of their songs from this album was used for the El Camino (Breaking Bad movie) trailer, and I saw that another one of their songs is being used in another big movie).

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    ^^^snagged the payback that was moldy. Plays great but trying to figure out what to do with the jacket. Damaged and nasty.

Water and sun?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    SCREW YOU LARS ULRICH!

That's been my experience as well- in fact, more and more so and time passes.  I think the feedback scores on Discogs must be more accurate as well.  I've gotten thing from eBay sellers who have 100% positive ratings that left me scratching my head. 

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Generally dont like buying vinyl on ebay now unless its new and less than a year since it was released. Usually sold out stuff. I find that there are a lot of people that either dont know how to grade a record or do and just plead ignorant or hoping you dont complain. Discogs isnt any better really since you dont get to see pics of the actual records unless you ask.

Ive had truly amazing finds in charity shops here in the UK but since the resurgence of vinyl those are few and far between. These shops have started asking silly prices for some records etc.

Used stores are okay for picking up records that can easily be found online but its less hassle to just get it in a shop. Dont tend to find anything rare in used shops or record fairs. They just tend to be outlets for them to get rid of stuff that they cant sell online nowadays.

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Never use ebay for used vinyl, only Discogs and in-stores. But have had great success on ebay buying rare CD pressings because people usually don't know what they have when dealing with older CD pressings.
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,819
    Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - Self Titled (Red 2019 reissue)
    Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - Here We Rest (Yellow 2019 reissue)
    Dave Matthews Band - DMB Live Philadelphia 1998
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    pjpitt89 said:
    The DMB Philly came out quite nice.  And $34 for 5 records?  What a steal.  
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,819
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    I’m thrilled for the sound, but the pressing is horrible. They’re all pressed off center, and most had horrible scuffs and scratches out of the sleeve. Got a replacement and mix and matched a set from my 2 copies. 

But you’re right, for the price it was still worth it
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    pjpitt89 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    I’m thrilled for the sound, but the pressing is horrible. They’re all pressed off center, and most had horrible scuffs and scratches out of the sleeve. Got a replacement and mix and matched a set from my 2 copies. 

But you’re right, for the price it was still worth it
    Yikes.  Mine was perfect.  
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Wilco -Ode to Joy
  • Options
    1997 DDC Steve Hoffman remaster.  Plastic fantastic!!

• Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    Picked up William DuVall's solo album, One Alone. All acoustic affair. Lovely record.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:
    1997 DDC Steve Hoffman remaster.  Plastic fantastic!!

The DCC is a GREAT cut of that record. it and the 45rpm MSFL cut are the two to get if you enjoy the record.