Options

Chart longevity

Comments

• Options
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123946&hilit=album+sales+backspacer+sales

530k according to this as of April 24. I read on Hitsdailydouble that it has sold about 600k (I think I read that about two months ago). It's been about 24 weeks since that last count, so it seems reasonable.

Not bad at all for this era of dwindling album sales. You figure, Binaural sold about 700k - 800k ten years ago and industry-wide album sales have dropped by 50% since then. So, selling 600k of Backspacer probably would have equated to about 1.2 million sold in 2000.

Certainly not nearly as good as they did in the early - mid 90's, but nobody really sells like that anymore except for a pop star here and there. 9 albums in, I'd say 600k in sales of a new album still makes them very relevant.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    dwhite76 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    so how many copies were sold?

about 520,000 (usa)
    So is this considered a lot now a days? Or just average? I run into so many people with poor taste in music that never heard of Pearl Jam or think they broke up after Vitalogy.I do what I can when Im in Target I go and take out a whole section of cd's and move them away so I can give the Pearl Jam CD'S their nice neat little jam min world 8-) no poppa roach any where around. Just on section of Pearl Jam,.And when the fix it up, Im back the next day to do it all over again. I wonder if Eddie reads this if he will tell me to be a good boy, or keep at it :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup: :clap::lol:

everytime i visit target, backspacer is on the bottom rack of the display. to improve sales, at least i hope to, I put them right on top so people can see them better :lol:
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,387
    All right, time to bring this thread back:

After one week, "Lightning Bolt" sits at #1 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their first week of release?

"Vs.": #1
    "Vitalogy": #1*
    "No Code": #1
    "Backspacer": #1
    "Lightning Bolt": #1
    "Yield": #2
    "Pearl Jam": #2
    "Binaural": #2
    "Riot Act": #5
    "Ten": Not charted

*Does not include two weeks available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    BF25394 wrote:

After one week, "Lightning Bolt" sits at #1 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their first week of release?

*Does not include two weeks available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).

wait, what? riot act opened at 5?

is that right? how do i not remember that?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

wait, what? riot act opened at 5?

is that right? how do i not remember that?

Yep, opened at 5, peaked at 5.
  • Options
    Interestingly, the non-single that appears to be garnering the most digital downloads is...

(Wait for it)

"Future Days." The song is No. 30 on the Rock Digital Songs list, Pearl Jam's only entry on that chart, and No. 2 on the Hard Rock Digital Songs list, behind only Avenged Sevenfold's "Hail To The King" and ahead of Pearl Jam's three other entries, "Black" (No. 19), "Yellow Ledbetter" (No. 21) and "Getaway" (No. 22). (Don't ask me why "Future Days" is categorized as hard rock. I think they just go by artist.)

Yes, neither "Sirens" nor "Mind Your Manners" cracks either one of these charts. (Rock Digital Songs is 50 positions long; Hard Rock Digital Songs is 25 positions long.)
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440
    BF25394 wrote:
    Interestingly, the non-single that appears to be garnering the most digital downloads is...

(Wait for it)

"Future Days." The song is No. 30 on the Rock Digital Songs list, Pearl Jam's only entry on that chart, and No. 2 on the Hard Rock Digital Songs list, behind only Avenged Sevenfold's "Hail To The King" and ahead of Pearl Jam's three other entries, "Black" (No. 19), "Yellow Ledbetter" (No. 21) and "Getaway" (No. 22). (Don't ask me why "Future Days" is categorized as hard rock. I think they just go by artist.)

Yes, neither "Sirens" nor "Mind Your Manners" cracks either one of these charts. (Rock Digital Songs is 50 positions long; Hard Rock Digital Songs is 25 positions long.)

Yeah I noticed that about Future Days. I think Sirens was there last week. It got up #3 on Itunes.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    i see they are projected for 4th this week....any word on how many sales they are projected for though?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i see they are projected for 4th this week....any word on how many sales they are projected for though?

Usually the 2nd week there's a 60-70% drop.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

Usually the 2nd week there's a 60-70% drop.

okay. hoping this thing at least goes gold. too good an album to just fade away
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    "Backspacer" sold over 635,000, so you have to like the chances for "Lightning Bolt" to surpass 500,000.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    "Backspacer" sold over 635,000, so you have to like the chances for "Lightning Bolt" to surpass 500,000.
    what did backspacer do in week 2 though?

just saw the estimate is 35-40k for lb....that's a steep drop
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

58,727 -69%
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:

58,727 -69%

that's what backspacer sold in week 2?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

58,727 -69%

that's what backspacer sold in week 2?

Oui
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
  • Options
    K_jamK_jam Posts: 137
    That's a pretty big drop. This album will be like riot act and just reach gold.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    K_jam wrote:

their last 4 studio have reached gold. Only the greatest hits went platinum
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    K_jam wrote:

their last 2 studio have reached gold. Only the greatest hits went platinum

yeah but avocado and backspacer both went over 600k didn't they?

i have a bad feeling this doesn't get to gold...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    K_jam wrote:

their last 2 studio have reached gold. Only the greatest hits went platinum

yeah but avocado and backspacer both went over 600k didn't they?

i have a bad feeling this doesn't get to gold...

I meant 4. Yea but they're still certified Gold. I think this will get to gold as well. But might take a little longer.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    And we have to wait for Holiday sales. And hopefully Sirens gets more radio play. It's doing well but thought it would be charting higher by now.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    K_jam wrote:

their last 4 studio have reached gold. Only the greatest hits went platinum

Yeah I know. What I meant was it would sell the same as riot act, just over 500k
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    And we have to wait for Holiday sales. And hopefully Sirens gets more radio play. It's doing well but thought it would be charting higher by now.

For some reason the radio stations in Australia won't touch sirens, I've only heard sirens get played on one radio station occasionally.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
    Now that Steve Jobs destroyed the music industry, they probably need to re-calibrate what defines gold and platinum. Probably cut it to 500k for plat and 250k for gold. It isn't the same as things were when CD / Vinyl or Cassette purchased in record stores was the only means of access. They need to redefine the criteria based on current times. You can't compare with even 5-10 years ago.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Now that Steve Jobs destroyed the music industry, they probably need to re-calibrate what defines gold and platinum. Probably cut it to 500k for plat and 250k for gold. It isn't the same as things were when CD / Vinyl or Cassette purchased in record stores was the only means of access. They need to redefine the criteria based on current times. You can't compare with even 5-10 years ago.

Then they would have to redo previous certifications. I think it's based on how many people are in your country. Which is why most certifications overseas are 100k for Platinum and 50k for Gold
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

They did this in Canada:

For releases before May 1, 2008:
    Gold 50,000
    Platinum 100,000
    Diamond 1,000,000

For releases after May 1, 2008
    Gold 40,000
    Platinum 80,000
    Diamond 800,000
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134

Steve Jobs destroyed the music industry? I can't tell if that was serious or you were joking around, so for arguments sake I'm going to assume it was serious. How did Jobs ruin the industry? If you're referring to online music, you do realize that Napster and other illegal programs were around long before iTunes, right? Lars will back me up on this. Besides, downloads from iTunes are used when tallying sales numbers.
  • Options
    :corn:
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Wow, that's a big drop. I was hoping Lightning Bolt would have more legs. Looks like Paul Mccartney, Avett Brothers, and Head and the Heart also had huge drops (especially head and the heart which went from top 10 to out of the top 50 :o )
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    This albums savior is going to have to be Sirens. I haven't seen how it is doing on the singles charts but it could be a slow grower and ratchet up album sales or not as people can now preview all of the songs and just buy one. Crazy new world we live in.