Options

Chart longevity

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,387
edited December 2013 in The Porch
After six weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #43 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their sixth week of release?

"Vs.": #2
"Vitalogy": #5*
"Yield": #19
"No Code": #20
"Pearl Jam": #35
"Backspacer": #43
"Binaural": #62
"Riot Act": #105
"Ten": Not charted

*Does not include two weeks available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    Cool numbers, thanks for posting that.
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 589
    Do we know how many units have sold after 6 weeks?
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440
    wnh1977 wrote:
    Do we know how many units have sold after 6 weeks?

over 326,00
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I don't have that info for the previous albums, but I know off the top of my head that "Vs." sold 950,000 the first week and "Vitalogy" sold 877,000 the first week.*

* The first week it was available as a CD. It was released two weeks earlier on vinyl.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    I don't have that info for the previous albums, but I know off the top of my head that "Vs." sold 950,000 the first week and "Vitalogy" sold 877,000 the first week.*

* The first week it was available as a CD. It was released two weeks earlier on vinyl.

DAMN!!!!
  • Options
    After seven weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #54 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their sixth week of release?

"Vs.": #3
    "Yield": #25
    "No Code": #25
    "Backspacer": #54
    "Binaural": #79
    "Riot Act": #103

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    After seven weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #54 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their sixth week of release?

"Yield": #25
    "No Code": #25
    "Backspacer": #54
    "Binaural": #79
    "Riot Act": #103

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).

it went down from 49-54 from the HDD chart to the Billboard.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    it went down from 49-54 from the HDD chart to the Billboard.

I think the HDD chart is based on raw data that isn't final.
  • Options
    After eight weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #69 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their eighth week of release?

"Vitalogy": #7*
    "No Code": #29
    "Yield": #31
    "Pearl Jam": #51
    "Backspacer": #69
    "Binaural": #84
    "Riot Act": #124

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Thanks for keeping us updated. You know, I think it's doing pretty decent considering that (1) It's only available at Target, itunes, and independent stores, (2) People could hear this for free on PJ's web site, and (3) most people download music illegally.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    I'm guessing it will 75th on next week's chart. Hopefully the Black Friday sale will give it a boost.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    So is the time and money they put into promoting Backspacer justified?

I think the overall concensus is that it is one of their better albums in recent years. Yet is still behind Avocado, which was not promoted at all.

Funny how promoting plays into things. It seems nearly impossible to guage. I wonder how it would have done with similar promotion as previous records.
  • Options

I think the overall concensus is that it is one of their better albums in recent years. Yet is still behind Avocado, which was not promoted at all.

Funny how promoting plays into things. It seems nearly impossible to guage. I wonder how it would have done with similar promotion as previous records.

Avocado was promoted.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

They promoted the shit out of Avocado. At least as much so as Backspacer. They did Letterman and SNL, just as many videos, made a music video for the second single, Life Wasted.

Binaural and Riot Act didn't get much promotion.
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    Thanks for keeping us updated. You know, I think it's doing pretty decent considering that (1) It's only available at Target, itunes, and independent stores, (2) People could hear this for free on PJ's web site, and (3) most people download music illegally.

I think you're right about #1, but #3 is not true. It may seem true to you because you download music illegally, or everyone you know downloads music illegally, but it's not even close to being true on a macro level. The vast majority of music downloads are done legally via iTunes and similar services.

By way of analogy, you probably don't know anyone who watches "NCIS," but that doesn't mean that no one watches it. In fact, it's the #1 show on television this season.

So I'd replace your #3 with: "They do not have a record company promoting the record."
  • Options
    They promoted the shit out of Avocado. At least as much so as Backspacer. They did Letterman and SNL, just as many videos, made a music video for the second single, Life Wasted.

Binaural and Riot Act didn't get much promotion.
    Okay, you're right that Avocado got promotion...my bad. But I still think Backspacer has had significantly more. They've done hella interviews PLUS I had never seen a TV ad for a PJ album until Backspacer. And it was in pretty high rotation for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    DS114969 wrote:

I think you're right about #1, but #3 is not true. It may seem true to you because you download music illegally, or everyone you know downloads music illegally, but it's not even close to being true on a macro level. The vast majority of music downloads are done legally via iTunes and similar services.

By way of analogy, you probably don't know anyone who watches "NCIS," but that doesn't mean that no one watches it. In fact, it's the #1 show on television this season.

So I'd replace your #3 with: "They do not have a record company promoting the record."

I would have to agree that I think people over estimate how many people actually download music illegally, but I do think the amount of people has increased and is more than any release previous to Riot Act
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    Fact: Pearl Jam was promoted alot more than Backspacer. Pearl Jam was backed by a major label, promoted on Letterman, Vh1 Story Tellers, Rollingstone, Numerous other publications, Advertising in all music publications, alot more interviews and a MAJOR Tour.

You are an IDIOT if you think Backspacer was promoted more. Go back to your day job, you have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Options
    vedpunk wrote:
    Fact: Pearl Jam was promoted alot more than Backspacer. Pearl Jam was backed by a major label, promoted on Letterman, Vh1 Story Tellers, Rollingstone, Numerous other publications, Advertising in all music publications, alot more interviews and a MAJOR Tour.

You are an IDIOT if you think Backspacer was promoted more. Go back to your day job, you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Easy there son. No need to be a cocksucker.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    BF25394 wrote:
    DS114969 wrote:

Fair enough. Although with your NCIS example I'd argue that the Nielsen system is seriously flawed...but that's a whole other discussion. ;)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Would have posted earlier, but didn't have my info with me:

After nine weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #91 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their ninth week of release?

"Vitalogy": #8*
    "No Code": #39
    "Yield": #34
    "Pearl Jam": #60
    "Backspacer": #91
    "Binaural": #98
    "Riot Act": #131

• Options
    http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Looks like it's headed for a big bump this week. I don't know where it'll finish, but #32 for now according to Hits daily double. I guess the $6.50 at Target didn't hurt.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    "Ten": Not charted... :D ..
    BEST EVER....!! 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    BF25394 wrote:
    After six weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #43 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their sixth week of release?

"Yield": #19
    "No Code": #20
    "Backspacer": #43
    "Binaural": #62
    "Riot Act": #105

*Does not include two weeks available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).
    Btw is all different the cd sales now..+Binaural and Riot act dint have the same promotion
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:

Looks like it's headed for a big bump this week. I don't know where it'll finish, but #32 for now according to Hits daily double. I guess the $6.50 at Target didn't hurt.

I was just going to post what you posted. I was checking to see how the Vultures were doing and I couldn't find them. And there was Pearl Jam and I checked the date on the chart to make sure this wasn't an old cookie and it wasn't. 11K with 37% counted. Of course, the reporting isn't a constant flow over time and that 11K could be the total, just all reported quickly, but if it was steady, they would end up with just under 30k sold. Not bad, I guess, during these times.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:

I was just going to post what you posted. I was checking to see how the Vultures were doing and I couldn't find them. And there was Pearl Jam and I checked the date on the chart to make sure this wasn't an old cookie and it wasn't. 11K with 37% counted. Of course, the reporting isn't a constant flow over time and that 11K could be the total, just all reported quickly, but if it was steady, they would end up with just under 30k sold. Not bad, I guess, during these times.

usually with 30 something percent reporting. Backspacer would usually be about 3 or 4 thousand. And end up with 10- 15K at 100%. So this 11k could be 25-30k.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    there should be another bump by x-mas.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    usually with 30 something percent reporting. Backspacer would usually be about 3 or 4 thousand. And end up with 10- 15K at 100%. So this 11k could be 25-30k.

Now 54% (Was 37%) and the number of units are unchanged so they dropped from 32 to 49. Definitely an uneven stream. That 11K could be the total from Target in an early part of the tally.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Even if 11,000 is the final total, that would be a bump up from last week's total.
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    Hey for the first time probably since Ten a Pearl Jam album is going to go back up the charts!