Options

Chart longevity

Comments

• Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    If the released FON, they'd have yet another hit on their hands.

All of my friends who are not PJ fans seem to love that tune.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440
    Backspacer is not on Itunes top 100 anymore.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    pjfanman wrote:
    If the released FON, they'd have yet another hit on their hands.

All of my friends who are not PJ fans seem to love that tune.

Funny that you say that. I have a buddy of mine who is not really a PJ fan but will give their stuff a chance. He listened to Backspacer right after it came out and I asked him how it was. He said he thought the album was just 'ok' but that he loved 'Force of Nature'.

I was surprised it stood out to him. It wasn't my favorite at first but it's grown on me more than any other song on the album.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
    Ooooph! Week 31, #174. I think they released Amongst the Waves just in the nick of time. That plus Jazz Fest, and later on, tour and I think that will pump some life into things. I would guess what in the 150+ depths of the chart, it doesn't take too much of a difference in week by week sales to move up or down several positions. For example, a 500 unit increase, I bet would move it up several slots.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,387
    Ooooph! Week 31, #174. I think they released Amongst the Waves just in the nick of time. That plus Jazz Fest, and later on, tour and I think that will pump some life into things. I would guess what in the 150+ depths of the chart, it doesn't take too much of a difference in week by week sales to move up or down several positions. For example, a 500 unit increase, I bet would move it up several slots.

You are correct, sir.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    After 31 weeks, "Backspacer" checks in at #174 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 30th week of release?

"Ten": #21
    "Vs.": #46
    "Vitalogy": #58*
    "Yield": #144
    "Backspacer": #174
    "No Code": Off chart
    "Binaural": Off chart
    "Pearl Jam": Off chart
    "Riot Act": Off chart

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89-89-142-155-139-174

"Backspacer" has accrued Pearl Jam's fifth-longest tenure on The Billboard 200.

"Ten": 250
    "Vs.": 67
    "Vitalogy": 55
    "Yield": 36*
    "Backspacer": 31
    "No Code": 24
    "Rearviewmirror": 22
    "Binaural": 17
    "Pearl Jam": 17
    "Live On Two Legs": 15
    "Riot Act": 14*
    "Lost Dogs": 11

* Non-consecutive
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    they released amongst the waves?? how out of the loop am i?
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    they released amongst the waves?? how out of the loop am i?

Not yet....May 17th. Still in the loop. :D
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I guess, now, it's time to hope for a '*' for re-entry. While looking at the 181-200 range, I noticed Dark Side of the Moon still hanging in there with 761 weeks on the charts. I'll do the math so you don't have to bother, that's 14 1/2 years. I'm sure that's on and off several times. I would think that with Amongst the waves in mid-may, and the tour, we have a pretty good shot at at least a limited time of re-entry.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    I think High School kids smoking pot while watching the Wizard of Oz keeps Dark Side of the Moon in the top 200 perpetually. You gotta think, at least a couple thousand kids per week give this a shot. I believe you have to start the album right after the third lion roar.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    I guess, now, it's time to hope for a '*' for re-entry. While looking at the 181-200 range, I noticed Dark Side of the Moon still hanging in there with 761 weeks on the charts. I'll do the math so you don't have to bother, that's 14 1/2 years. I'm sure that's on and off several times. I would think that with Amongst the waves in mid-may, and the tour, we have a pretty good shot at at least a limited time of re-entry.

Those 761 weeks don't even tell the whole story. From March 1991 to December 2009, "catalog" (i.e., older) albums like "Dark Side" were not eligible for the Billboard 200. In all likelihood, "Dark Side" would have remained in the top 200 for most of that time period (as evidenced by its long run on the Top Catalog Albums chart during that span) and would have something like 1,700 weeks on the Billboard 200 now.

As you note, "Backspacer" falls out of the Billboard 200 for the first time this week. However, if Billboard still had the same chart policy it had from 1991 to 2009, "Backspacer" would still be on the chart for a 32nd week at roughly No. 176. This is worth noting when comparing its chart longevity with other Pearl Jam albums, all of which enjoyed an extra week or more on the charts that they wouldn't have if catalog albums had been eligible to chart. For example, if "Yield" were charting under today's rules, it probably would have lasted only 34 weeks instead of 36, because its last two weeks on the chart were at No. 180 and No. 199. Typically, there are more than 20 catalog albums in the top 200.
  • Options

Oh, by the way-- "Yield" and "Riot Act" re-entered the chart for one week each after initially exiting the top 200.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

Those 761 weeks don't even tell the whole story. From March 1991 to December 2009, "catalog" (i.e., older) albums like "Dark Side" were not eligible for the Billboard 200. In all likelihood, "Dark Side" would have remained in the top 200 for most of that time period (as evidenced by its long run on the Top Catalog Albums chart during that span) and would have something like 1,700 weeks on the Billboard 200 now.

As you note, "Backspacer" falls out of the Billboard 200 for the first time this week. However, if Billboard still had the same chart policy it had from 1991 to 2009, "Backspacer" would still be on the chart for a 32nd week at roughly No. 176. This is worth noting when comparing its chart longevity with other Pearl Jam albums, all of which enjoyed an extra week or more on the charts that they wouldn't have if catalog albums had been eligible to chart. For example, if "Yield" were charting under today's rules, it probably would have lasted only 34 weeks instead of 36, because its last two weeks on the chart were at No. 180 and No. 199. Typically, there are more than 20 catalog albums in the top 200.

to BF25394

what determines whether or not a band releases a single? i would assume that if a band is under a label, the company would be the one to choose and release it, but pj isn't under a label. wouldn't they release as many singles as they want to promote the album? or are there other factors that come into play that?
  • Options

to BF25394

what determines whether or not a band releases a single? i would assume that if a band is under a label, the company would be the one to choose and release it, but pj isn't under a label. wouldn't they release as many singles as they want to promote the album? or are there other factors that come into play that?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking who decides what to release as a single-- the record label or the artist-- the answer is, "It depends." Typically, the label will consult with the artist, although the label will usually have the final say. The more clout the artist has, the more control the artist has over those kinds of decisions. The artist may also have more control with a smaller or independent label.

But the designation of "singles" is something of an obsolete concept these days. Singles used to be physical product-- first 45s, later (and, mercifully, briefly) cassette singles and, finally, CD singles. Now the single is just a download and, theoretically, except for those few artists who don't allow their songs to be individually downloaded, anything can be a "single." Thus, in today's world, the "single" concept really just means "track for radio play." The label may send a physical CD single to radio stations to encourage them to play a particular track but, theoretically, a song can get radio play organically because program directors or DJs choose to play it without it having been promoted by the record company. This is increasingly rare as very few radio DJs have control over what they play anymore. It's all determined back at corporate headquarters of CBS or Clear Channel after heavy market research and focus group testing.

Even though Pearl Jam is not with a record company, they have someone working for them who works their songs to radio. This may amount to nothing more than putting CDs of "Amongst The Waves" in envelopes and mailing them out to stations, or it could involve calls/e-mails/faxes to program directors, or other promotions. My sense is that promotion of "Backspacer" was fairly bare bones-- send out the CDs to radio and "Que sera sera," but I don't know for sure.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

to BF25394

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking who decides what to release as a single-- the record label or the artist-- the answer is, "It depends." Typically, the label will consult with the artist, although the label will usually have the final say. The more clout the artist has, the more control the artist has over those kinds of decisions. The artist may also have more control with a smaller or independent label.

But the designation of "singles" is something of an obsolete concept these days. Singles used to be physical product-- first 45s, later (and, mercifully, briefly) cassette singles and, finally, CD singles. Now the single is just a download and, theoretically, except for those few artists who don't allow their songs to be individually downloaded, anything can be a "single." Thus, in today's world, the "single" concept really just means "track for radio play." The label may send a physical CD single to radio stations to encourage them to play a particular track but, theoretically, a song can get radio play organically because program directors or DJs choose to play it without it having been promoted by the record company. This is increasingly rare as very few radio DJs have control over what they play anymore. It's all determined back at corporate headquarters of CBS or Clear Channel after heavy market research and focus group testing.

Even though Pearl Jam is not with a record company, they have someone working for them who works their songs to radio. This may amount to nothing more than putting CDs of "Amongst The Waves" in envelopes and mailing them out to stations, or it could involve calls/e-mails/faxes to program directors, or other promotions. My sense is that promotion of "Backspacer" was fairly bare bones-- send out the CDs to radio and "Que sera sera," but I don't know for sure.

yeah when i said single i meant a song that gets continuous radio play

thanks for answering my question!
  • Options
    By the way, an example of a band having the clout to get its way in choosing a single was Pearl Jam when "No Code" came out. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Epic's idea to go with "Who You Are" as the lead single.
  • Options
    It's back. #191. We got an **
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    BF25394 wrote:
    By the way, an example of a band having the clout to get its way in choosing a single was Pearl Jam when "No Code" came out. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Epic's idea to go with "Who You Are" as the lead single.

Does anyone really think that Eddie doesn't hold final veto power over any final PJ related decisions ?
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    It's back. #191. We got an **
    Not bad seeing as there were 21 debut entries to contend with.
  • Options
    "Backspacer" re-enters The Billboard 200 at #191 in its 32nd week on the chart and its 33rd week of release. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 33rd week of release?

"Ten": #26
    "Vs.": #55
    "Vitalogy": #70*
    "Yield": #158
    "Backspacer": #191
    "No Code": Off chart
    "Binaural": Off chart
    "Pearl Jam": Off chart
    "Riot Act": Off chart

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89-89-142-155-139-174...191

"Backspacer" has accrued Pearl Jam's fifth-longest tenure on The Billboard 200.

"Ten": 250
    "Vs.": 67
    "Vitalogy": 55
    "Yield": 36
    "Backspacer": 32*
    "No Code": 24
    "Rearviewmirror": 22
    "Binaural": 17
    "Pearl Jam": 17
    "Live On Two Legs": 15
    "Riot Act": 14*
    "Lost Dogs": 11

* Non-consecutive

Note: All albums except "Backspacer" charted during a time when catalog (i.e., older) titles were ineligible for The Billboard 200. Under the previous eligibility standards, "Backspacer" would currently have charted for 33 consecutive weeks.
  • Options
    Please note the following correction: "Yield" has been incorrectly listed as having spent 36 non-consecutive weeks on the chart. In fact, its chart run spanned 36 consecutive weeks. The most recent update (for week 33 of release) reflects the correct information.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    BF25394 wrote:
    Please note the following correction: "Yield" has been incorrectly listed as having spent 36 non-consecutive weeks on the chart. In fact, its chart run spanned 36 consecutive weeks. The most recent update (for week 33 of release) reflects the correct information.
    YOU SON OF A BITCH! :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    it's weird to think that riot act spent less than half the time on the chart but sold the same amount as backspacer lol
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    YOU SON OF A BITCH! :x

I have let you down. Just know that this hurts me more than it hurts you.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    so how many copies were sold?
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Davidtrios wrote:

That's easy. The total number of records shipped to sales outlets - the number that are still left.

If you'd like I can also answer the question "How long is a piece of string?"

:)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

about 520,000 (usa)
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Davidtrios wrote:

about 520,000 (usa)
    So is this considered a lot now a days? Or just average? I run into so many people with poor taste in music that never heard of Pearl Jam or think they broke up after Vitalogy.I do what I can when Im in Target I go and take out a whole section of cd's and move them away so I can give the Pearl Jam CD'S their nice neat little jam min world 8-) no poppa roach any where around. Just on section of Pearl Jam,.And when the fix it up, Im back the next day to do it all over again. I wonder if Eddie reads this if he will tell me to be a good boy, or keep at it :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup: :clap::lol:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Pearl Jam are back in the game - with the highest profile, most airplay and interest since before No Code came out. Getting some long overdue respect from the Music papers and broadsheets - winning some new fans who have the entire catalogue to delve into. Backspacer has proved a very popular and accessible record, appealing to both older and younger generations of music listeners. Here in the UK I have seen 5 or more prominent Pearl Jam references in the major national papers these past 12 months- 5 more than most years!!

Not bad for a twenty year old bunch of ageing rock dinosaurs!!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

about 520,000 (usa)
    So is this considered a lot now a days? Or just average? I run into so many people with poor taste in music that never heard of Pearl Jam or think they broke up after Vitalogy.I do what I can when Im in Target I go and take out a whole section of cd's and move them away so I can give the Pearl Jam CD'S their nice neat little jam min world 8-) no poppa roach any where around. Just on section of Pearl Jam,.And when the fix it up, Im back the next day to do it all over again. I wonder if Eddie reads this if he will tell me to be a good boy, or keep at it :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup: :clap::lol:

it's not considered a lot but it isn't bad, either. going gold today is about the equivalent of going platinum 20 years ago.
    i may have lowballed my original estimate... it might be closer to 540,00 copies sold. there was a guy who used to post the exact numbers on here a few months back but i haven't seen a post in a while. if you do a search for "backspacer sales numbers" or something like that, you could probably find it.