Options

Chart longevity

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,386
    After four weeks, "Lightning Bolt" sits at #18 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their fourth week of release?

"Vs.": #1
    "Vitalogy": #2*
    "No Code": #7
    "Yield": #10
    "Pearl Jam": #17
    "Lightning Bolt": #18
    "Backspacer": #21
    "Binaural": #34
    "Riot Act": #90
    "Ten": Not charted

*Does not include two weeks available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    I still can't really wrap my head around Riot Acts poor perfomance... I am Mine alone should have kept it higher up.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440
    I still can't really wrap my head around Riot Acts poor perfomance... I am Mine alone should have kept it higher up.

I think it was released in the wrong year. 2 years before or 8 years later it would have done better.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    igotid88 wrote:

I think it was released in the wrong year. 2 years before or 8 years later it would have done better.

I can't agree with that statement. Riot Act, although having some gems, is in no way an album for the masses. Nothing about Riot Act has mass appeal. Listen to the way Eddie 'sings' on the album; it sounds like he couldn't give two shits. I'm pretty sure that was intentional because the tone of the album was pretty dark, reflecting that era in the United States, but he's never sounded so bummed.
    Also, keep in mind that people were buying a lot more albums in 2002, so sitting at 90 might be the equivalent to sitting at 20-30 by todays standards. In the end, Riot Act went gold, like everything since Yield.
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

I can't agree with that statement. Riot Act, although having some gems, is in no way an album for the masses. Nothing about Riot Act has mass appeal. Listen to the way Eddie 'sings' on the album; it sounds like he couldn't give two shits. I'm pretty sure that was intentional because the tone of the album was pretty dark, reflecting that era in the United States, but he's never sounded so bummed.
    Also, keep in mind that people were buying a lot more albums in 2002, so sitting at 90 might be the equivalent to sitting at 20-30 by todays standards. In the end, Riot Act went gold, like everything since Yield.

I didn't mean it in terms of people buying or not buying more albums. I meant more in terms of where the country was at and the alienation of bands like PJ and the Dixie Chicks. Other than I am Mine. Radio was hardly playing the songs. And Save You and Get Right are really good songs for radio. But at that time they did little promotion. Letterman and Chop Suey videos. I also think the people who didn't give it a chance back then who now like it. Still haven't purchased it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

No, sitting at 90 in 2002 is equivalent to sitting at 90 in 2013. Chart position is a relative measure: how are you selling compared to other contemporary records. A greater number of sales in 2002 is equivalent to a lesser number of sales in 2013, for the reason you cite, but that is not true of chart position. If you're number 90, it means 89 albums outsold you; if you're number 20, only 19 outsold you.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    igotid88 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

I didn't mean it in terms of people buying or not buying more albums. I meant more in terms of where the country was at and the alienation of bands like PJ and the Dixie Chicks. Other than I am Mine. Radio was hardly playing the songs. And Save You and Get Right are really good songs for radio. But at that time they did little promotion. Letterman and Chop Suey videos. I also think the people who didn't give it a chance back then who now like it. Still haven't purchased it.

i don't think they were alienated until after riot act came out and videos of bushleaguer being performed live leaked out to the mainstream.

save you, while being all kinds of awesome, is a horrible radio song. he says "fuck" like 20 times. i don't think that has ever been played on the radio for that reason. how could it? and it's just my opinion, but i don't think get right is a very good song. i doubt mainstream radio would like it.

i do agree that them not promoting the album that much had a lot to do with it. but they promoted binaural the same kind of way, maybe even less and that album did better.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think Riot Act was just a dud in general, in terms of commercial success and quality of content. A lot of people on this board would disagree with me on this, but that's my opinion.

There are a few reasons one could speculate on why it turned out that way. I think it may have had something to do with it being PJ's last record with Epic. I don't think Epic was really interested in promoting the band anymore and PJ was probably ready to go do their own thing but needed to fulfill their contract. Even though PJ stayed with the Sony family (J Records) for Self-Titled, I think they were given a fresh start and more control over the release and promotion process.

Obviously, pure speculation but I think could have something to do with it. Of course, there was also the Roskilde tragedy still fresh in their minds, so I'm sure that could have been a factor of the record sounding very downtrodden.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

i don't think they were alienated until after riot act came out and videos of bushleaguer being performed live leaked out to the mainstream.

save you, while being all kinds of awesome, is a horrible radio song. he says "fuck" like 20 times. i don't think that has ever been played on the radio for that reason. how could it? and it's just my opinion, but i don't think get right is a very good song. i doubt mainstream radio would like it.

i do agree that them not promoting the album that much had a lot to do with it. but they promoted binaural the same kind of way, maybe even less and that album did better.

I think Binaural while great didn't help Riot Act. They didn't capitalize on the success of Last Kiss. I don't blame them. And released NAIS as the first single instead of Insignificance or Grievance. And this was before the live bootlegs and still in that time frame of where they were still popular. Not that they're not now.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    I think Riot Act was just a dud in general, in terms of commercial success and quality of content. A lot of people on this board would disagree with me on this, but that's my opinion.

There are a few reasons one could speculate on why it turned out that way. I think it may have had something to do with it being PJ's last record with Epic. I don't think Epic was really interested in promoting the band anymore and PJ was probably ready to go do their own thing but needed to fulfill their contract. Even though PJ stayed with the Sony family (J Records) for Self-Titled, I think they were given a fresh start and more control over the release and promotion process.

Obviously, pure speculation but I think could have something to do with it. Of course, there was also the Roskilde tragedy still fresh in their minds, so I'm sure that could have been a factor of the record sounding very downtrodden.

From what I remember a lot of the people here didn't like it. Maybe they've changed their minds over the years.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    K_jamK_jam Posts: 137
    If they had included down in the album and released it I reckon things would of been a lot different.
  • Options
    Listen to the way Eddie 'sings' on the album; it sounds like he couldn't give two shits.

Ever listend to him sing on Binaural? Doesn't sound less sleepy on that.

And I think the numbers Riot Act sold is the result of the Binaural album and Pearl Jam really being off the mainstream music landscape.

But I still think I Am Mine could have been a "huge" mainstream single to carry the album further, Love Boat Captain too and maybe You Are. Even though being "soft".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Listen to the way Eddie 'sings' on the album; it sounds like he couldn't give two shits.

And I think the numbers Riot Act sold is the result of the Binaural album and Pearl Jam really being off the mainstream music landscape.

But I still think I Am Mine could have been a "huge" mainstream single to carry the album further, Love Boat Captain too and maybe You Are. Even though being "soft".

I Am Mine was released as a single; the albums first single, I believe. It didn't do much.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

No, sitting at 90 in 2002 is equivalent to sitting at 90 in 2013. Chart position is a relative measure: how are you selling compared to other contemporary records. A greater number of sales in 2002 is equivalent to a lesser number of sales in 2013, for the reason you cite, but that is not true of chart position. If you're number 90, it means 89 albums outsold you; if you're number 20, only 19 outsold you.

I just meant that however many albums they sold to sit at 90 in 2002 might be around the same number of albums sold to sit at the 20-30 spot today.
  • Options

I Am Mine was released as a single; the albums first single, I believe. It didn't do much.

It did well. 43 on the Hoe 100. But mostly due to single sales. 6 on the Modern Rock charts. And 7 on the Mainstream Rock
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    After five weeks, "Lightning Bolt" sits at #28 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their fifth week of release?

"Vs.": #1
    "Vitalogy": #3*
    "No Code": #10
    "Yield": #16
    "Pearl Jam": #22
    "Lightning Bolt": #28
    "Backspacer": #31
    "Binaural": #39
    "Riot Act": #100

*Does not include two weeks available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).

Chart run (5 weeks): 1-2-11-18-28
  • Options
    after 2 weeks, lb sold about 224k albums.

after 2 weeks, lady gaga's latest has sold 300k albums.

:shock:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I thought that LB would be on sale this week.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    Google Play has Lightning Bolt on sale for $3.99
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • Options
    Catching up:

After six weeks, "Lightning Bolt" sits at #31 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their sixth week of release?

"Vs.": #2
    "Vitalogy": #5*
    "Yield": #19
    "No Code": #20
    "Lightning Bolt": #31
    "Pearl Jam": #35
    "Backspacer": #43
    "Binaural": #62
    "Riot Act": #105

Chart run (6 weeks): 1-2-11-18-28-31
  • Options
    After seven weeks, "Lightning Bolt" sits at #63 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their seventh week of release?

"Vs.": #3
    "Vitalogy": #5*
    "Yield": #25
    "No Code": #25
    "Pearl Jam": #35
    "Backspacer": #54
    "Lightning Bolt": #63
    "Binaural": #79
    "Riot Act": #103

Chart run (7 weeks): 1-2-11-18-28-31-63
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Damn, I mean I remember how big they were back then, but Vs was an absolute beast. #2 after six weeks. We're talking about an album here, not just a single. And it was at a time when there were many many other rock bands around.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    Damn, I mean I remember how big they were back then, but Vs was an absolute beast. #2 after six weeks. We're talking about an album here, not just a single. And it was at a time when there were many many other rock bands around.

Yes, "Vs." spent five weeks at No. 1. "No Code" is the only other PJ album to spend more than 1 week at No. 1, and it only ruled the chart for 2 weeks. "Vitalogy," "Backspacer" and "Lightning Bolt" each spent a single week in pole position.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Yes, "Vs." spent five weeks at No. 1. "No Code" is the only other PJ album to spend more than 1 week at No. 1, and it only ruled the chart for 2 weeks. "Vitalogy," "Backspacer" and "Lightning Bolt" each spent a single week in pole position.

what knocked vitalogy to number 2?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Kenny G
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

Kenny G

It's true. Kenny G's "Miracles-- The Holiday Album" had been number 1 for two weeks before "Vitalogy" dislodged it from the top spot, and then the G-Man returned for a third week at the top, ousting our heroes. The clear lesson is "Don't cross Kenny G! He will have his revenge!"
  • Options
    Hahahaha.....I actually bought that one for my mom!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    looks like britney spears debuted at #5 with 108k copies sold.

pearl jam is once again bigger than her. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    According to HDD, we're back in the top-50

-- 49 PEARL JAM MONKEYWRENCH/REPUBLIC 11,293 --
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    I don’t care where they place on any charts, they would still be #1 on my list regardless of the meaningless statistics
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts