Options

Chart longevity

Comments

• Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    If it's that much of a bump on one day sales and has been in the top 20 all week on iTunes, I guess we could expect the album to be back in the top 50 this week, right?

That's pretty impressive for 25 weeks into the release. I really like the fact that they haven't given up on this album. I really don't care how many copies they sell (it's kind of irrelevant anyway as so many people just download illegally) but I like that they care about staying relevant. I think Eddie mentioned it in the SPIN article - I'd hate to see them live 5 years down the road and have 75% of the crowd only care and get loud during "Alive" or "Jeremy". This band has so much more great material left in them and Backspacer deserves to be heard.

The success of this album allows them to keep doing things as a 'big indie' band. I'm sure Target would do another deal with them. I know some people here have a problem with that, but I could care less. As long as they continue to include indie stores and sell through the website, that's all that matters to me.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    If it's that much of a bump on one day sales and has been in the top 20 all week on iTunes, I guess we could expect the album to be back in the top 50 this week, right?

That's pretty impressive for 25 weeks into the release. I really like the fact that they haven't given up on this album. I really don't care how many copies they sell (it's kind of irrelevant anyway as so many people just download illegally) but I like that they care about staying relevant. I think Eddie mentioned it in the SPIN article - I'd hate to see them live 5 years down the road and have 75% of the crowd only care and get loud during "Alive" or "Jeremy". This band has so much more great material left in them and Backspacer deserves to be heard.

Two things: sales are relevant because they will affect the band's ability to distribute future albums. Granted, they could always release things for free over the Web, but broader distribution is contingent on being able to show that there's still an audience.

Second, illegal downloading is not as prevalent as most people here seem to think. The vast majority of downloading is done legally via iTunes and similar providers.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    After 25 weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #88 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 25th week of release?

"Ten": #27
    "Vs.": #34
    "Vitalogy": #41*
    "Backspacer": #88
    "Yield": #141
    "No Code": Off chart
    "Binaural": Off chart
    "Pearl Jam": Off chart
    "Riot Act": Off chart

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88

"Backspacer" has now accrued Pearl Jam's fifth-longest tenure on The Billboard 200.

"Ten": 250
    "Vs.": 67
    "Vitalogy": 55
    "Yield": 36
    "Backspacer": 25
    "No Code": 24
    "Rearviewmirror": 22
    "Binaural": 17
    "Pearl Jam": 17
    "Live On Two Legs": 15
    "Riot Act": 14
    "Lost Dogs": 11
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    T-Bone 82 wrote:

The success of this album allows them to keep doing things as a 'big indie' band. I'm sure Target would do another deal with them. I know some people here have a problem with that, but I could care less. As long as they continue to include indie stores and sell through the website, that's all that matters to me.

hard to tell. if it's only doing well at itunes. then it'll probably stay the same. i was just checking target's website. and it says it's out of stock.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    After 26 weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #89 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 26th week of release?

"Ten": #20
    "Vs.": #36
    "Vitalogy": #47*
    "Backspacer": #89
    "Yield": #159

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89

"Backspacer" has accrued Pearl Jam's fifth-longest tenure on The Billboard 200.

"Yield": 36*
    "Backspacer": 26
    "Riot Act": 14*

* Non-consecutive
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
    Wow 26 weeks is 1/2 a year. Time flies. I remember all the anticipation. The Conan show, the leak of the taping of the Target ad, the 10 second Verizon ringtone clips once a week, the 30second clips popping up in Youtube and getting squashed, the German revew translated to english, the piecing together of the album cover across the web and getting speed of sound demo, the amazement of the lack of a leak, hearing Supersonic being played live in Euro, finally the leak, the release. Seems like yesterday. It is still in my 6-cd changer in the car, getting frequent plays.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Wow 26 weeks is 1/2 a year. Time flies. I remember all the anticipation. The Conan show, the leak of the taping of the Target ad, the 10 second Verizon ringtone clips once a week, the 30second clips popping up in Youtube and getting squashed, the German revew translated to english, the piecing together of the album cover across the web and getting speed of sound demo, the amazement of the lack of a leak, hearing Supersonic being played live in Euro, finally the leak, the release. Seems like yesterday. It is still in my 6-cd changer in the car, getting frequent plays.

Of course, the Conan appearance was nearly ten months ago.
  • Options
    At the time of Binaural and even Riot Act, general music industry CD sales were higher. I've got to believe an expert could fairly easily equate what 500,000 in sales in 2010 would have been equivalent to in 2002 (Riot Act) and in 1998/1999 (Binaural). I'd be curious as to how many people have Backspacer, obtained by any means legal or illegal. In the 1970's you could tape a vinyl album onto cassette. Now, you can easily grab copies. So back then, with less of a means to pirate, sales more closely reflected "haves". I bet Backspacer in in the hands of over 1,000,000 people in the US.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    At the time of Binaural and even Riot Act, general music industry CD sales were higher. I've got to believe an expert could fairly easily equate what 500,000 in sales in 2010 would have been equivalent to in 2002 (Riot Act) and in 1998/1999 (Binaural). I'd be curious as to how many people have Backspacer, obtained by any means legal or illegal. In the 1970's you could tape a vinyl album onto cassette. Now, you can easily grab copies. So back then, with less of a means to pirate, sales more closely reflected "haves". I bet Backspacer in in the hands of over 1,000,000 people in the US.

now, i'm not a lawyer, but i would save 500k in 2010 is about the equivalent of around 1.2M in 2000
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

now, i'm not a lawyer, but i would save 500k in 2010 is about the equivalent of around 1.2M in 2000

I read an article recently that CD sales declined by over 50% over the last decade 2000 - 2009, so I think your estimate would be about right.

Imagine if they would have distributed this album widely, rather than just Target, iTUNES, and indies? It'd probably be good for at least 750k by now.
  • Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:

I read an article recently that CD sales declined by over 50% over the last decade 2000 - 2009, so I think your estimate would be about right.

Imagine if they would have distributed this album widely, rather than just Target, iTUNES, and indies? It'd probably be good for at least 750k by now.

The biggest reason for the difference is not illegal downloading-- it's legal downloading. What I mean is, now that people can buy any song they like for 99 cents, they do that instead of buying the entire album. I have made this point here a hundred times: the vast majority of downloading occurs legally via iTunes and similar sites.

The second-biggest reason for the difference is the limited distribution.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    The biggest reason for the difference is not illegal downloading-- it's legal downloading. What I mean is, now that people can buy any song they like for 99 cents, they do that instead of buying the entire album. I have made this point here a hundred times: the vast majority of downloading occurs legally via iTunes and similar sites.

But don't you think there is a lot of CD borrowing where the person who borrows rips it onto their hard drive?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    After 27 weeks, "Backspacer" remains at #89 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 27th week of release?

"Ten": #21
    "Vs.": #34
    "Vitalogy": #48*
    "Backspacer": #89
    "Yield": #166

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89-89

"Backspacer": 27

* Non-consecutive
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

But don't you think there is a lot of CD borrowing where the person who borrows rips it onto their hard drive?

Not as much as you think.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:

Not as much as you think.

Agree with your claim of "Limited Distribution". That kills off Amazon and other outlets. Frankly, it's been 27 weeks since the last time I was in a Target. And if Backspacer hadn't been released this way, it would have been at least 5 years and counting. I loathe places like Target, WallMart, Costco. In fact, if I can look up and see air conditioning pipes, I probably hate the place. I'm the ultimate mom-and-pop store advocate. I got my Target version because I knew it was different than the 10c/Indy version (packaging).
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    BF25394 wrote:

people had that option (and still do) before itunes when they could purchase the single. sure it wasn't 99 cents but it was still a cheaper option. illegal dl is the difference.
  • Options

people had that option (and still do) before itunes when they could purchase the single. sure it wasn't 99 cents but it was still a cheaper option. illegal dl is the difference.

It's not just that people can purchase the single and do it for less money. It's that they can purchase any track or tracks they want for 99 cents, instead of whatever is commercially available as a single for $3.99-$4.99 (the going rate for CD singles in the 1990s). It's also that the availability of individual tracks has eroded/eliminated the consumer's album-oriented mentality.

Illegal downloading is not as widespread as you think. The vast majority of downloading occurs legally.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

It's not just that people can purchase the single and do it for less money. It's that they can purchase any track or tracks they want for 99 cents, instead of whatever is commercially available as a single for $3.99-$4.99 (the going rate for CD singles in the 1990s). It's also that the availability of individual tracks has eroded/eliminated the consumer's album-oriented mentality.

Illegal downloading is not as widespread as you think. The vast majority of downloading occurs legally.

i get what you're saying but people use itunes to purchase singles. most people aren't going to purchase a song from itunes that they haven't heard before... if they have heard it, it was probably through a friend that owned the cd (i mean a song that isn't a single)... and in that case they would just borrow the cd and put it on their itunes.
    its not so much illegal dl, borrowing and trading have had a huge impact, too. i agree with you about your itunes statement bc it's true, but illegal dl is still as popular as it ever was.
  • Options
    i apologize if my statement doesn't make much sense. i'm pretty tired
  • Options
    After 28 weeks, "Backspacer" checks in at #142 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 28th week of release?

"Ten": #23
    "Vs.": #35
    "Vitalogy": #52*
    "Backspacer": #142
    "Yield": #158

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89-89-142

"Backspacer": 28

* Non-consecutive
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    BF25394 wrote:
    After 28 weeks, "Backspacer" checks in at #142 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 28th week of release?

"Ten": #23
    "Vs.": #35
    "Backspacer": #142
    "Yield": #158

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89-89-142

"Backspacer": 28

* Non-consecutive

wow! Backspacer has really come up strong for Pearl Jam. It's done better than Yield in terms of postion after 28 weeks? wow!
  • Options
    155 at week 29 ain't bad. Currently charting higher than Abbey Road by the Beatles :lol:
  • Options
    After 29 weeks, "Backspacer" checks in at #155 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 29th week of release?

"Ten": #24
    "Vs.": #41
    "Vitalogy": #49*
    "Yield": #150
    "Backspacer": #155

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89-89-142-155

"Backspacer": 29

* Non-consecutive
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    Hey its back up....from 155 to 139 in its 30th week!!!! :D
  • Options
    elderman wrote:
    Hey its back up....from 155 to 139 in its 30th week!!!! :D

I'm going to speculate that Backspacer sales remained flat or possibly even declined. Last week(week 29), there were a lot of entries at the top of the charts with much higher sales figures than was the case this week(week 30). So I would speculate PJ's shift was caused by a shift of the chart due to lower volume at the top. BF25394 has the numbers, I don't but this is what I think is happening.
  • Options
    After 30 weeks, "Backspacer" checks in at #139 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their 30th week of release?

"Ten": #22
    "Vs.": #46
    "Backspacer": #139
    "Yield": #140

"Backspacer" chart run, to date: 1-10-16-21-31-43-54-69-91-45-134-134-123-77-69-80-82-96-98-118-128-125-140-168-88-89-89-142-155-139

"Backspacer": 30

* Non-consecutive
  • Options
    Very surprised it's lasted this long. Great stuff.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    Very surprised it's lasted this long. Great stuff.

solid performance indeed :clap::clap:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    backspacer could pass yield... that's crazy.
    i really hope release a third single... i don't care what it is. it has nothing to do with me wanting backspacer to sell, i just like hearing new pearl jam on the radio.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    backspacer could pass yield... that's crazy.
    i really hope release a third single... i don't care what it is. it has nothing to do with me wanting backspacer to sell, i just like hearing new pearl jam on the radio.

+1

It seemed like they were positioning to release Unthought Known (giving it tv airplay on snl, various shows).....

I think they are crazy if they don't release Amongst the waves or force of nature......