Options

Chart longevity

Comments

• Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,004
    If you look at all the drivel that is on the charts & Backspacer only sells 326,000 you can tell that it means nothing. Crap sells especially in these days of the people hijacking music just to become famous & becoming puppets to reality tv. What happened to all the people who bought Ten, Vs & Vitalogy, what are they listening to nowadays? It has always been a thing that has really puzzled me.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    After sixteen weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #80 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their sixteenth week of release?

"Vs.": #19
    "Vitalogy": #22*
    "Backspacer": #80
    "No Code": #83
    "Yield": #85
    "Binaural": #153
    "Pearl Jam": #171
    "Riot Act": Off chart
    "Ten": Not yet charted

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    BALLBOY wrote:
    If you look at all the drivel that is on the charts & Backspacer only sells 326,000 you can tell that it means nothing. Crap sells especially in these days of the people hijacking music just to become famous & becoming puppets to reality tv. What happened to all the people who bought Ten, Vs & Vitalogy, what are they listening to nowadays? It has always been a thing that has really puzzled me.

Well, the vast majority of people (outside of this pit) didn't like Vs. as much as Ten and then the vast majority didn't like Vitalogy as much as Vs. and then the vast majority didn't like No Code as much as Vitalogy. Thank Waffle, Yield stopped some of the bleeding. Then of course Binaural and Riot Act were released and people began jumping ship once again.

Backspacer is actually doing awesome by industry standards today, even if sales aren't pleasing to PJ fans. Hell, it has moved like 900 K throughout the world and 99.9% of all musicians would love to be able to say the same thing these days.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    on that ukmix site. it was posted that Ten sold 211,382 copies. Which placed them 200th.

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27645&start=1500
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    igotid88 wrote:
    on that ukmix site. it was posted that Ten sold 211,382 copies. Which placed them 200th.

thats gotta be the new remastered one right?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

i guess all versions. old and remastered. Ten always sells well. When that guy on the board used email us soundscan numbers Ten would usually sell 1-3,000 a week.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    igotid88 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

i guess all versions. old and remastered. Ten always sells well. When that guy on the board used email us soundscan numbers Ten would usually sell 1-3,000 a week.

I've bought 4 "TEN" Albums over the Years! :)
  • Options
    Shouldn't it have been certified already? Is it because they don't have a big label. They're not bothering paying for the certification? I think that's how it works.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    You know what I don't understand.....why can't one of these billionaire bands purchase like 500,000 copies of their own record to make it seem like they are kicking major billboard ass??
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 330
    you mean like roadrunner records having 4 million copies of all the right reasons in a warehouse somewhere?
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    After seventeen weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #82 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their seventeenth week of release?

"Vs.": #20
    "Vitalogy": #28*
    "No Code": #76
    "Backspacer": #82
    "Yield": #89
    "Ten": #155
    "Binaural": #174
    "Pearl Jam": #191

*Does not include two weeks on chart when available on vinyl only (debuted at #55 vinyl-only, then fell to #173 before leaping to #1 upon the CD release).
  • Options
    "Backspacer" is down from #37 to #44 on iTunes.
  • Options
    Moving up the charts here in Canada. Moved up to #28...safe to say it's been their most successful album thus far on the Canadian charts since Yield.
  • Options
    After eighteen weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #96 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their eighteenth week of release?

"Vitalogy": #27*
    "No Code": #70
    "Backspacer": #96
    "Yield": #97
    "Ten": #143
    "Binaural": Off chart
    "Pearl Jam": Off chart

• Options
    cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    BALLBOY wrote:

We're still listening to Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy, and pretending Creed, Limp Bizkit, and Nickelback* never happened, and it was all one big nightmare.

* and Buckcherry, Puddle of Mudd, Kid Rock, Stained, Hootie and the Blowfish, Maroon 5, Fuel, Marilyn Manson, Smash Mouth, Baha Men, etc...
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    BF25394 wrote:
    After eighteen weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #96 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their eighteenth week of release?

pretty impressive for an independent release. I guess that's what a Fixer and a Just Breathe will do for an album.

I'm still enjoying Backspacer so i'm happy to see it is doing well even by Pearl Jam standards
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    BF25394 wrote:

Thanks for the time in presenting these stats, always very interesting and especially with Backspacers good run.
  • Options
    After nineteen weeks, "Backspacer" sits at #96 on The Billboard 200. How does this compare with prior Pearl Jam studio albums in their nineteenth week of release?

"Vs.": #22
    "Vitalogy": #28*
    "No Code": #82
    "Yield": #96
    "Backspacer": #98
    "Ten": #158

• Options
    What kind of bump (if any) do you think the Target commercial that ran during the Grammy's will give the album this week?
  • Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    What kind of bump (if any) do you think the Target commercial that ran during the Grammy's will give the album this week?

A negligible bump, at best.
  • Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:

if it was shown more than once, probably. but it only aired once towards the end of the show.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    why won't they re-air Conan's first show? with PJ's perfomance. I don't think they ever did. It won't be on the air much longer. I hope they air it one last time.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    T-Bone 82 wrote:

A negligible bump, at best.

don't know if this means anything. But streetpulse has it 45% up. But I don't know if that from last week. Or from the start of the new week.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    I noticed that "Pearl Jam" was gone after 18 weeks. Cant help but think that if "Come Back" was released as a single the album would have hung around like BS is doing.
  • Options
    'Ten' really did take a long time to catch on, didn't it? I don't remember it well since I was 9 when it came out. I was really into MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, and Naughty by Nature at that age. I guess my tastes changed a bit.

19 weeks into Ten's release would be January or February of 1992 I think. When did it catch on? Late '92?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    elderman wrote:
    I noticed that "Pearl Jam" was gone after 18 weeks. Cant help but think that if "Come Back" was released as a single the album would have hung around like BS is doing.

interesting. i always kind of thought marker would have been a good single. though it does have kind of a weird flow to it that probably would not have worked with the mainstream.

come back on the otherhand might have been okay. i can see people liking it much the same way that people like BS (isn't if funny that people just call it BS now? :lol: ).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    'Ten' really did take a long time to catch on, didn't it? I don't remember it well since I was 9 when it came out. I was really into MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, and Naughty by Nature at that age. I guess my tastes changed a bit.

19 weeks into Ten's release would be January or February of 1992 I think. When did it catch on? Late '92?

"Ten" debuted on the chart for the week ending January 4, 1992. It cracked the top 100 the first week in February, the top 20 the first week in March, but then took several months to get into the top 10.
  • Options
    elderman wrote:

Weeks On Chart, Pearl Jam Studio Albums:

250, "Ten"
    67, "Vs."
    55, "Vitalogy"
    36, "Yield"
    24, "No Code"
    19+, "Backspacer"
    17, "Binaural"
    17, "Pearl Jam"
    14, "Riot Act"

Also:
    22, "Rearviewmirror"
    15, "Live On Two Legs"
    11, "Lost Dogs"
    9, "Live At Benaroya Hall"
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    T-Bone 82 wrote:

"Ten" debuted on the chart for the week ending January 4, 1992. It cracked the top 100 the first week in February, the top 20 the first week in March, but then took several months to get into the top 10.

Wow, so it took over three months to debut in the top 200 (Released August '91?)? I know it was a debut record but that is surprising to me.