The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    And the Pineda watch begins. 30 days starting Saturday...
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Trades looking better and better with Montero on the list. :lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Trades looking better and better with Montero on the list. :lol:

Word. Thought the same thing. Hence why you don't declare a winner 6 months into a trade.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/ ... -in-store/

What does Alex Rodriguez’s future have in store?

Craig Calcaterra

Let’s get one thing out of the way at the outset: whatever results from the Biogenesis news, be it a lengthy suspension or otherwise, this will not “forever taint Alex Rodriguez‘s legacy” or whatever words anyone chooses to author to that melodramatic effect. Alex Rodriguez’s legacy was toast years ago, rightly or wrongly.

A-Rod was transformed from a supremely-talented All-Star into a greedy mercenary when he signed his first $250 million contract with the Texas Rangers before the 2001 season and had that image solidified when he opted out of it while with the Yankees and signed another huge deal in December 2007.

He was branded a steroid cheat and effectively denied his rightful ticket to the Hall of Fame when word surfaced of his past performance enhancing drug use in early 2009 and that stain has never gone away in the public eye.

Beyond that, he has been portrayed in the media — not necessarily without reason — as a vain, image-conscious but self-consciousness-impaired prima donna for well over a decade now and has been judged as something less than a professional or a fierce competitor due to past playoff failures (never mind that he carried the Yankees on his back to the 2009 World Series title) and because he is not Derek Jeter (never mind that not even Derek Jeter is the Derek Jeter the media and his adoring fans have constructed).

So no, this is not a fall from grace. This is not a hero brought to his knees. If you hear someone talking about A-Rod and Biogenesis and they offer any sentiment suggesting that this, after all that has come before, is the final straw, you may feel free to ignore this person because they have no idea what they are talking about. A-Rod has been a widely hated and hated-on figure for far longer than he was ever considered, first and foremost, a baseball superstar and this is merely another brick in that very tall, very long and very solid wall. It’s not totally fair that he’s been made the pariah that he is, but he is a pariah among all but the most forgiving fans, no question.

So what CAN the Biogenesis scandal do to Alex Rodriguez?

It can suspend him for 50 games. One hundred games if the investigation finds out he used PEDs and lied about it. But it cannot, and I believe should not, end his career, either in its entirety or as a New York Yankee.

Alex Rodriguez is under contract with the New York Yankees through 2017 . Including this season he’s owed approximately $114 million. While the Yankees would love to be out from under than contract somehow — because, really, it’s a horrible contract — there is no mechanism for them to void it regardless of what comes out of the Biogenesis investigation. The Joint Drug Agreement provides no means to do so. Player contracts have no terms which allow for contracts being voided due to PEDs for they incorporate the Joint Drug Agreement by reference. Given that we are now nearly six years out from when the deal was signed, it would strain credulity for the Yankees to claim that there was any fraud or misrepresentation that forced them into the deal. It’s just not going anywhere, regardless of what the Yankees front office may say off the record to the media.

At the same time, there is zero incentive for Alex Rodriguez to retire or walk away from the game. While he is coming off major surgery and while it is unclear whether he will ever be anything close to the player he once was, it is premature to say that Rodriguez will never play again for physical reasons. But even if he can’t play — even if his hip is toast, he can’t run, field or even lift a bat — the Yankees are still on the hook for that $114 million. All A-Rod would need to do is to comply with whatever rehabilitation or medical regimen the Yankees asked him to do and the checks would keep on coming. There is considerable precedent for this happening in baseball history, with Albert Belle being perhaps the most notable example. Belle signed a five-year contract with the Orioles in 1998, but due to a degenerative hip condition did not play for the final three of those five years. He was kept on the disabled list by the Orioles, fully paid, the entire time. Why? Because teams assume the financial risk of injury to a player, not the player.

But the thing is, Alex Rodriguez does appear to be able to play baseball. He has been rehabbing at the Yankees complex in Tampa for weeks now, taking ground balls, running, hitting balls off a tee and getting back into baseball shape. Just today Yankees manager Joe Girardi had this to say about his third baseman:

“My focus is not on what MLB is investigating and all of that. And I don’t want to get caught up in that just because, in a sense, they’re going to handle it. I’ll let them handle it. I’ll continue to assist our players in getting ready anyway they can.

“But he’s in Tampa getting ready and that’s what we want him to do.”

He hasn’t commented on the latest reports. Given the state of Rodriguez’s rehab, the Yankees need for his bat back in the lineup and given the potentially lengthy timeline for any discipline if he is found culpable, I think it’s far more likely that we’ll see Alex Rodriguez playing major league baseball games this season than we’ll see him cast out of the game on either a temporary or permanent basis.
    www.myspace.com
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    But the thing is, Alex Rodriguez does appear to be able to play baseball. He has been rehabbing at the Yankees complex in Tampa for weeks now, taking ground balls, running, hitting balls off a tee and getting back into baseball shape.

Maybe MLB will let him hit off a tee in live games too. :lol:

So, I saw that Donald Trump is saying the Yankess shouldnt have to pay Arod.

It just got me thinking. Arod is dumber than we can imagine. Or smarter, who knows?
    How stupid do you have to be to gt yourself caught up in all this hoopla, and make most Yankee fans dislike you. He really must be dumber than a box of cupcakes.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    This A-Rod story just gets crazier as the days go.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-tea ... -1.1364586
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    Draft day. Although it's not as exciting as the other sports. But the Yankees have a few in the first round
    I miss igotid88
    Real big night. Yanks have been stocking up for this for a while....thanks soriano
    Like the pick a lot. Kid hit like crazy last year. Glad to see they didn't go high risk again this year
    Don't know much about these next two. 6'7'' seems awfully big for a hitter. Not too many of them in baseball.

Read the lefty high school kid has some gas...94 coming out of high school. Sign him
    Wang opted out now a Jay
    Mel stottlemeyers (definitely spelled wrong, drunk) is named "Mo in the 9th".... possibly my favorite thing ever
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Wang opted out now a Jay
    :(.
    Mo in the 9th

Good win. Why do the Yankees never miss Felix in a series?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Mo in the 9th

Good win. Why do the Yankees never miss Felix in a series?

At least we didn't get Iwakuma
    I miss igotid88
    Mo In The 9th

2 games with Felix starting this season, 2 wins...can't beat that.

Offense still sucks, but they keep winning. This has been a pretty insane season. 3 out of 4 to start a long west coast swing is big.
    Gerrit Cole whom the Yankees drafted in 2008 and we're about to offer $4million but decided to go to college instead. Is making his debut for the Pirates today.
    I miss igotid88
    Great hold, Stewart!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    Newch91 wrote:
    Great hold, Stewart!
    But then ran to the dugout like it was the third out. :lol:
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    Newch91 wrote:
    Great hold, Stewart!
    But then ran to the dugout like it was the third out. :lol:
    :lol::lol: Got hit hard he didn't know how many outs there were.
    That throw was perfect by Wells.
    Another bad week
    I miss igotid88
    First round pick Eric Jagielo hurt his hamstring and will be out a few weeks.
    I miss igotid88
    Was only a matter of time.....
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Jesus Christ
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,220
    Kind of felt like being in the twilight zone watching the Yankees and Mets this past week:

http://gothamhub.com/2013/06/the-twilig ... -baseball/
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Tex back on the 15 day DL. Youkilis is having surgery and will be out 10-12 weeks
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Tex back on the 15 day DL. Youkilis is having surgery and will be out 10-12 weeks

Youk probably would've gotten hurt but this injury is on retardi for playing him in that 18 inning game :fp:
    Yeah and next WBC tell selig to go fuck himself we should never allow any more players to participate in that meaningless tournament.