The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Pork is ready to come off the grill. Good bless America. God bless the Yankees.

DS, try not to cry yourself to sleep over the Yankees winning a very good game.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Typical Yankee fan response and I'm sorry but I see and read it all of the time and I'm a huge Yankee fan. When the Yankees win and it was a good win. When the Yankees lose and it was becasue of this bad call..or this one error...or this one pitcher making a bad pitch. Bottom line is they lost two of three against the Rays and were only let back into this game by Farnworth walking 4 in one inning. They hit 2 HRs over a three game stretch and won one game. The team can not win without doing the single hardest thing to do in sports and that's hit a homerun. When a team puts all of its eggs in one basket, that's an issue and my honest opinion.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Typical Yankee fan response and I'm sorry but I see and read it all of the time and I'm a huge Yankee fan. When the Yankees win and it was a good win. When the Yankees lose and it was becasue of this bad call..or this one error...or this one pitcher making a bad pitch. Bottom line is they lost two of three against the Rays and were only let back into this game by Farnworth walking 4 in one inning. They hit 2 HRs over a three game stretch and won one game. The team can not win without doing the single hardest thing to do in sports and that's hit a homerun. When a team puts all of its eggs in one basket, that's an issue and my honest opinion.

I will never blame a game on an ump, never happens. Find one example of it from me, you'll be looking for a while. If they lose on one pitch then sure, I may point to it, but I can't remember the last time that happened. Biggest one I can remember was Ichiro in '09 (maybe 2010?). There has definitely been some since but not that I can remember off hand.

Today they hung in there against one of the better pitchers in the game who was on top of his game while they had a spot starter in there for their ace. This game could easily have been 5-0 in the third. And yes, Farnsworth blows, but that's who the Rays had to go to. Just like the Yanks have gone to Wade and the likes at times. It happens. Good win going into an off day, as neily said. A much needed win.

They lost a series, every baseball team does. Hot and cold stretches. 162 games. They were never going to keep up .750 ball. 5 game lead in the division. 98 win pace. 3 big games coming up going into the break. Big guy coming back after and the deadline approaching. Feel free to enjoy it.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    big much needed win!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I will never blame a game on an ump, never happens. Find one example of it from me, you'll be looking for a while. If they lose on one pitch then sure, I may point to it, but I can't remember the last time that happened. Biggest one I can remember was Ichiro in '09 (maybe 2010?). There has definitely been some since but not that I can remember off hand.

Today they hung in there against one of the better pitchers in the game who was on top of his game while they had a spot starter in there for their ace. This game could easily have been 5-0 in the third. And yes, Farnsworth blows, but that's who the Rays had to go to. Just like the Yanks have gone to Wade and the likes at times. It happens. Good win going into an off day, as neily said. A much needed win.

They lost a series, every baseball team does. Hot and cold stretches. 162 games. They were never going to keep up .750 ball. 5 game lead in the division. 98 win pace. 3 big games coming up going into the break. Big guy coming back after and the deadline approaching. Feel free to enjoy it.

1-14 when not hitting a HR and 8-7 over the last 15.
    DS1119 wrote:

Ha, quality response. Very insightful. I get it, the sky is falling, they are one game over .500 over less than 10% of the season. Why bother even playing the rest of the games? Now that you pointed this out, I might as well stop watching.

Hot and cold stretches. 162 games.

Football has destroyed baseball fans.

You are aware the Yankees won today, right? Feel free to enjoy it. That is why we watch, right?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Ha, quality response. Very insightful. I get it, the sky is falling, they are one game over .500 over less than 10% of the season. Why bother even playing the rest of the games? Now that you pointed this out, I might as well stop watching.

You are aware the Yankees won today, right? Feel free to enjoy it. That is why we watch, right?

If you really don't see it I'm done trying to explain it. Check back in another 20 games.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

If you really don't see it I'm done trying to explain it. Check back in another 20 games.

Haha, alright dude. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!11!1! The Yankees fucking suck.

I think you have made clear how little you know about baseball after ripping Cano today.

I'll be on my way. For real this time considering you really have nothing insightful to offer in this or any other thread.

Remember when you argued for a week that the Yankees were going to sign Pujols? How about that time you said the Yankees should bring back Damon and his .201 average?
    edited July 2012
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha, alright dude. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!11!1! The Yankees fucking suck.

I think you have made clear how little you know about baseball after ripping Cano today.

I'll be on my way. For real this time considering you really have nothing insightful to offer in this or any other thread.

Remember when you argued for a week that the Yankees were going to sign Pujols? How about that time you said the Yankees should bring back Damon and his .201 average?

:fp: Still feel they should bring back Damon. Maybe I should quote some of your gems and your superior baseball knowledge. :lol::lol: Oh nevermind. You have a Yankee symbol in your avatar so you know it all. Anyone that expresses any opinion here you love to chime in and shoot it down with your expertise. You are the ever knowing baseball god and we shouldn't forget it. I think just yesterday you told me to fuck off. :lol: How's the Pineda trade working out for you? :lol: I believe you were pretty hard line that he would pitch this year for the team. Should I search for more of your gems? :lol::lol:

And this is your quote "I'll be on my way. For real this time considering you really have nothing insightful to offer in this or any other thread". So don't chime in here or it makes you a fibber. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Always love the personal insults too. Shows the type of person. Please stop jumping down people's throats when they have an opinion that differs from yours. It's all just opinion and until it plays out no one is right. I respect you and your baseball knowledge and you should do the same please.

One big Yankee circle jerk. All is good in Yankee camp. :lol:
    Post edited by DS1119 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Nova should have another good year, not going to strike out a ton of guys .

I think his K ratio will increase.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Now that they're about to finish up with that saga they can get back to looking for a DH. I've seen the reports that Ibanez is their top choice but I jsut don't understand why. I have a bad feeling that they'll regret it if they sign him. What are the odds that a 40-year old gets better after having a bad season at 39?

I don't get why they are going Ibanez over Damon either. I don't necessarily think they'll regret it as I'msure they'll trade for a bat if need be but I don't expect anything out of him. He'll only get a couple hundred at bats and not playing the field should help but he's just not good anymore.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Is this Damon love from Cliffy? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I've seen reports that say they think he's better in the field than Damon or Matsui (definitely better than Matsui but aside from arm strength I'm not sure he's better than Damon), but it makes no sense to me. Most of his playing time will be at DH so why choose a guy who hit .245 last year (and was horrible anywhere but Citizens Bank Park) when there's a guy available who can actually hit well in any park and can hit both lefties and righties? I would assume the asking price is probably higher for Damon, but how much can he really be asking for at this point? For a 1-year deal I just don't see a reason to go with the cheaper option when the price difference is probably only a couple million dollars and they just cut at least $5 million from the books for this season.

Agreed and who gives a shit what he can do in the field, he's the 5th outfielder and will probably see about 10 innings in the field.

I predict more innings than 10. We'll see.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I wouldn't give any of these guys the yanks are looking at a guaranteed contract. Offer them a minor league deal and wait and see if any teams lose a starter during the spring. With our SP depth(Garcia,Mitchell,Phelps) we should be able to grab a bat instead of going with one of the fossils that are being talked about.

Yeah, I hate the idea of Ibanez the most.

Hmm....
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    While it's only $1 mil, I'm not a big fan of this deal at all. For some reason the team likes Ibanez a lot more than Damon. Could be that Damon's asking for $5 mil while Ibanez is asking for $1 mil. I really hope he doesn't see more than 300 at bats.

Hmm...
    I'm certain the Ibanez signing had everything to do with his asking price being lower than Damon's. However, even if Damon wanted $5 million, who cares? They saved $5million this year by sending AJ packing so Damon would have been a break-even signing as far as payroll is concerned. The extra money for a better bat shouldn't be that big of an issue, especially since Damon reached out to the team, so he must have been willing to be a DH instead of an OF. I hope it works out, but I have a feeling mid-June will roll around and we'll be wishing they'd picked Damon.

Yuppers.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not worried about Pineda, just found it amusing.

I think the injury may be serious.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Pineda's velocity was up, but the results weren't there tonight but he did strike out 5 of his last 6 batters. It'll all come together soon. Good sign with the velocity though.

Do you know what he was hitting with his fastball? I haven't seen it mentioned in anything I read about the game, which I guess is a good sign and par for the course with the media (mention a dip in velocity as if the sky is falling and ignore when the velocity increases because it might make you look stupid for writing the doomsday articles after 1 Spring Training start).

Hit 94, sat at 92-93. Still lower than it will be, but increasing. That's the NY media though. He's just going to have to get used to it.

:lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Another good outing from Hughes. Would be a shame if he's not in the rotation.

The way it's going, I could see Nova spending some time in the minors.

:fp: I read 8 random pages and I have to stop now. :lol::lol:
    edited July 2012
    Perfectly happy to admit when I am wrong. Never been a problem. Didn't like Ibanez after last season, he has fortunately proved me wrong. Pineda and Hughes I have said I was wrong about many many times. We have to wait and see about Pineda though, Montero isn't exactly tearing it up. Not sure how I was wrong about anything about Nova (Edit: I guess the K rate, I still don't see that lasting though, hes just not that type of pitcher and there is nothing wrong with that as long as he can keep the ball down), he was absolutely brutal. All this is fine and you aren't really proving anything.

How about going back and finding how many times I said they should have brought Kuroda here over the past 2 years? I am right about some, wrong about others. All about the track record.

And hell, I could be wrong and this team could collapse and not make the playoffs, I don't see it but it could happen. And you know what? I will have enjoyed the season and had a good time watching and talking baseball while others will just have bitched and complained like spoiled 4 year olds the whole time and annoyed everyone here (which I have contributed to until today).

Relentlessly ripping a team who is essentially tied for the best record in baseball is just plain dumb to me and annoying. Ripping the best player on the team, by far, after he just won the game is idiotic. That's all. The game is supposed to be enjoyed, win or lose. "We" are fans of the most successful team in the history of the game. Whether they win or lose this year, or win or lose next year, we are going to see more championships in our lifetimes than fans of any other team. So if they fall out of first place in July, or lose a few games where they don't hit a home run, I am not going to bitch and cry about it for a week straight and get worked up about it. This team has solid management and the resources to be competitive for a very long time. Management is not "new money" like the Phillies, they know what they are doing and will keep this team good. So bitching about an issue half way into the season when the team is tied for the least number of losses in the game just doesn't make sense to me.

All about getting to the playoffs hot. All it is.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    big win last night

nice matchups going into boston

Kuroda...hughes ...garcia and nova ( Garcia is iffy :? )

sunday is Nova vs Lester
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    big win last night

sunday is Nova vs Lester

Ugh, Garcia against Boston is never pretty. Good hitters can wait for his pitches to hit. Those line drives that were going for outs against Tampa the other day would be putting dents in that dumb wall.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    big win last night

sunday is Nova vs Lester

Ugh, Garcia against Boston is never pretty. Good hitters can wait for his pitches to hit. Those line drives that were going for outs against Tampa the other day would be putting dents in that dumb wall.

i think he is pitching game 2 of double head

i would make it a garcia/phelps start ....first sign of trouble....phelps in
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    big win last night

sunday is Nova vs Lester

i think he is pitching game 2 of double head

i would make it a garcia/phelps start ....first sign of trouble....phelps in

Yeah, read yesterday they can carry 26 players for Saturday with the schedule, so they can keep McDonald and Phelps up, I think. I'd have to imagine you're right, just wonder how many pitches they would let Phelps go on 2 days rest.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just curious what you mean by this. I think I've seen you say this before too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    And Yeah, Cano is the fucking man.
    But whats up with Russel Martin? its as bad as having a pitcher in the NL come to bat.

The only thing I like to rip about the Yankees is the $50 Mil they are spending this year on Tex/Arod hitting about .250's combined.

I guess its becoming more of a pitchers game lately.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just that every single game matters so much and is such a big deal and that if a team goes on a bad stretch, they suck. It's just not right in baseball. The last 15 game stretch has been quoted a few times recently so to put that in context, that would be about a game and a half in the NFL. So to say the Yankees suck over a 15 game period and resting the outcome of the season on it is essentially pointless. It's like saying the Giants suck if they don't play well for 6 quarters.. Especially since they it's not like they have lost much of a lead or anything. Hot and cold stretches. 162 games.

And I get the argument that if a team misses the playoffs by 1 game then every single game they lost and should have won could be cited, but the fact is, every team has those. It's a 162 game season.
    And Yeah, Cano is the fucking man.
    But whats up with Russel Martin? its as bad as having a pitcher in the NL come to bat.

The only thing I like to rip about the Yankees is the $50 Mil they are spending this year on Tex/Arod hitting about .250's combined.

I guess its becoming more of a pitchers game lately.

Terrible year for Martin at the plate. I know they like his defense but it will be really interesting to see what they do next year if he keeps this up at the place.

Arod contract blows. Terrible. No two ways about it. That was in a weird time of the Yankees though when Hank and Levine had a lot of the power for a little while.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just that every single game matters so much and is such a big deal and that if a team goes on a bad stretch, they suck. It's just not right in baseball. The last 15 game stretch has been quoted a few times recently so to put that in context, that would be about a game and a half in the NFL. So to say the Yankees suck over a 15 game period and resting the outcome of the season on it is essentially pointless. It's like saying the Giants suck if they don't play well for 6 quarters.. Especially since they it's not like they have lost much of a lead or anything. Hot and cold stretches. 162 games.

And I get the argument that if a team misses the playoffs by 1 game then every single game they lost and should have won could be cited, but the fact is, every team has those. It's a 162 game season.

Ahh, I see what you're saying. I'd say that everything has a better chance of leveling off in a 162 game season, and there will be more steaks and low points obviously. Now a good question is, since Tex always starts slow, how will he end up? and how will the yanks deal with this pitching situation? We got a ways to go...should be interesting.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,965
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The popularity of football has destroyed so many baseball fans. This is a 162 game season, not 16.

Yes.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Perfectly happy to admit when I am wrong. Never been a problem. Didn't like Ibanez after last season, he has fortunately proved me wrong. Pineda and Hughes I have said I was wrong about many many times. We have to wait and see about Pineda though, Montero isn't exactly tearing it up. Not sure how I was wrong about anything about Nova (Edit: I guess the K rate, I still don't see that lasting though, hes just not that type of pitcher and there is nothing wrong with that as long as he can keep the ball down), he was absolutely brutal. All this is fine and you aren't really proving anything.

How about going back and finding how many times I said they should have brought Kuroda here over the past 2 years? I am right about some, wrong about others. All about the track record.

And hell, I could be wrong and this team could collapse and not make the playoffs, I don't see it but it could happen. And you know what? I will have enjoyed the season and had a good time watching and talking baseball while others will just have bitched and complained like spoiled 4 year olds the whole time and annoyed everyone here (which I have contributed to until today).

Relentlessly ripping a team who is essentially tied for the best record in baseball is just plain dumb to me and annoying. Ripping the best player on the team, by far, after he just won the game is idiotic. That's all. The game is supposed to be enjoyed, win or lose. "We" are fans of the most successful team in the history of the game. Whether they win or lose this year, or win or lose next year, we are going to see more championships in our lifetimes than fans of any other team. So if they fall out of first place in July, or lose a few games where they don't hit a home run, I am not going to bitch and cry about it for a week straight and get worked up about it. This team has solid management and the resources to be competitive for a very long time. Management is not "new money" like the Phillies, they know what they are doing and will keep this team good. So bitching about an issue half way into the season when the team is tied for the least number of losses in the game just doesn't make sense to me.

All about getting to the playoffs hot. All it is.

Ahh...that's funny :lol: