The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Don't even get me started on the new Stadium. The place is an abortion. Makes SKyDome seem exciting.

Haha, I know how you feel. I really like the place, I just hate what has happened to the crowd.

My favorite personal moment being in the old place was when John Rocker made his first appearance after his "comments" about New Yorkers. I believe it was a Saturday afternoon game and when those bullpen doors opened and he came out the place was nuts. I thought that noise was deafening. His first pitch...what does he do...he plunks Jeter! Holy fuck the place was nuts. Then when O'Neil came up and Baba started blasting...holy fuck. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Don't even get me started on the new Stadium. The place is an abortion. Makes SKyDome seem exciting.

Haha, I know how you feel. I really like the place, I just hate what has happened to the crowd.

My favorite personal moment being in the old place was when John Rocker made his first appearance after his "comments" about New Yorkers. I believe it was a Saturday afternoon game and when those bullpen doors opened and he came out the place was nuts. I thought that noise was deafening. His first pitch...what does he do...he plunks Jeter! Holy fuck the place was nuts. Then when O'Neil came up and Baba started blasting...holy fuck. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That's awesome. I'd have to think for a few about my favorite moment. I don't think I was there for anything like that.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    is that bob costas on the broadcast

i hate him. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

He did last night for MLB and is doing tonight. He did one a week or so ago, which was cool until he went on one of his annoying as fuck Barry Bonds rants. Soemthing along the lines of.

"Arod is possibly approacing the all time home run mark, once held by the incredible Babe Ruth, then the gentleman Hank Aaron and now by the joke Barry Bonds"

What a fucking self-righteous jackass
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

He did last night for MLB and is doing tonight. He did one a week or so ago, which was cool until he went on one of his annoying as fuck Barry Bonds rants. Soemthing along the lines of.

"Arod is possibly approacing the all time home run mark, once held by the incredible Babe Ruth, then the gentleman Hank Aaron and now by the joke Barry Bonds"

Rumor has it that he created "the wave" while attending Syracuse University. Kudos if he did that though. :lol: Used to enjoy him, Scully, Gargiola, and Kubek doing those Saturday games on NBC when I was a kid...but you're right. He's kind of turned into a douche.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Rumor has it that he created "the wave" while attending Syracuse University. Kudos if he did that though. :lol: Used to enjoy him, Scully, Gargiola, and Kubek doing those Saturday games on NBC when I was a kid...but you're right. He's kind of turned into a douche.

:lol:

I'm the same way. I liked him for a long time (my old man hated him), but fuck, you'd think he invented the game of baseball too.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

so is he not the regular guy? only does them for MLB network? pretty sure i've heard him a few times this season on MLB (great station)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

so is he not the regular guy? only does them for MLB network? pretty sure i've heard him a few times this season on MLB (great station)

No, he just does MLB Network games here and there. Once or twice a week maybe? This will be his third Yanks game for MLB Network in a week. Has Jim Kaat with him though, which is awesome. They have another team or two too, plus sometimes they just used a teams feed.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    No, he just does MLB Network games here and there. Once or twice a week maybe? This will be his third Yanks game for MLB Network in a week. Has Jim Kaat with him though, which is awesome. They have another team or two too, plus sometimes they just used a teams feed.

Kaat is good. Wish he was still with Yes. Costas I think does something late at night on the NBS Sports channel too if I'm not mistaken. :think:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Kaat is good. Wish he was still with Yes. Costas I think does something late at night on the NBS Sports channel too if I'm not mistaken. :think:

Yeah, man. I love Kaat. Was at his last game when he threw out the first pitch, was cool. I think you're right about that. And he has the Studio 42 show or whatever on MLB.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    plus sometimes they just used a teams feed.

wish the did that for ever game. i enjoy hearing the guys from around the league.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, man. I love Kaat. Was at his last game when he threw out the first pitch, was cool. I think you're right about that. And he has the Studio 42 show or whatever on MLB.

He's refreshing. He doesn't have a "schtick". He just knows what the fuck he's talking about. Paul O'Neil and COne actually I think could follow in his footsteps.
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

wish the did that for ever game. i enjoy hearing the guys from around the league.

That would be cool actually.
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That would be cool actually.

i get the NHL package and 90% of the time, i get the feed that isn't the Flyers feed. It's cool to hear them, except for the Bruins....talk about homers to the max. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i get the NHL package and 90% of the time, i get the feed that isn't the Flyers feed. It's cool to hear them, except for the Bruins....talk about homers to the max. :fp:

That's Boston for yah. I'm not kidding when I say I don't play well with people from that region. :lol:
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,230
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Actually that was at Shea Stadium June 29, 2000 against the Mets. The Yankees played in Atlanta. His first appearance in Yankee Stadium following those comments would have been the following June for Cleveland when Atlanta traded him for Steve Karsay.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,230

They do this in CITI Field also but it seems like with all the new food, which is nice and so on, there's an element of both places that encourages you not to watch the game closely.
    you mean like having a wiffle ball field behind the scoreboard or waiting an hour at the shake shack. Whatever happened to just taking your kid to a ballgame and having some hot dogs and Pepsi and teaching him how to fill out a scorecard or just tailgating with your friends and keeping the drinking going till the beer cutoff? Also I'm glad the players and media feel the same way as some of us fans do.

I'm with you on Shake Shack and not for nothing, the Keith Hernandez burger is superior and quicker to get plus for 10 bucks you get chips with it.

I remember I went to a game with a friend two years ago and were talking about the technical aspects of someone's swing, I think it was Beltran's. In the middle of the conversation, I think I turned to him and said you know we're probably the only ones discussing this.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    DS1119 wrote:

Actually that was at Shea Stadium June 29, 2000 against the Mets. The Yankees played in Atlanta. His first appearance in Yankee Stadium following those comments would have been the following June for Cleveland when Atlanta traded him for Steve Karsay.

Well I was there and maybe I'm melting some memories together but I honestly don't think I am...and if I am then fuck me. I may need to give up drinking before I go totally batshit then. :? Let me do some research. It was Yankess/Braves on a Saturday. That much I'm sure of.
    DS1119 wrote:

Well I was there and maybe I'm melting some memories together but I honestly don't think I am...and if I am then fuck me. I may need to give up drinking before I go totally batshit then. :? Let me do some research. It was Yankess/Braves on a Saturday. That much I'm sure of.

Jesus...it may have been the cleveland Indians not the Braves. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Fuck me. :lol:
    Kuroda's dealing tonight. Wow.
    And the rout is on.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'll chime in on the announcers. My favorite is Singleton. I really miss Bobby Murcer doing the games. He was my favorite growing up.

Who remembers Al Trautwig(spelling?) doing the games?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    I'll chime in on the announcers. My favorite is Singleton. I really miss Bobby Murcer doing the games. He was my favorite growing up.

Yes. Early 90's when the Yankees were on the MSG Network. But do you remember Bill White and the Scooter on WPIX?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    DS1119 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yes. Early 90's when the Yankees were on the MSG Network. But do you remember Bill White and the Scooter on WPIX?
    I remember Scooter a little bit. He was just about retiring when I started watching. Did he retire in '96 or '97?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I remember Seaver's first year, Scooter called him White all year! hes was not happy.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    Montero catching a no-hitter though 8 in Seattle against our boy Mattingly's Dodgers.
    I miss igotid88
    Combined no-hitter for the Mariners behind the catching of Montero
    I miss igotid88
    The last time it took 6 pitchers for a combined no-hitter was in 2003 Astros vs Yankees
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Combined no-hitter for the Mariners behind the catching of Montero

Doesn't look like they think Montero is a catcher long term with their recent draft pick and all.
    Newch91 wrote:

Look Out!

Love Singleton and Cone.