The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    DS1119 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Hughes should be in the pen until he figures out that he doesn't need to strike everyone out. Paging Andy Pettitte.

If he's in the pen that's all he'll have to do. Most pitchers when they are young think they need to strike people out.

And that's his mindset so I say put him in the pen where he can flourish and really help the team, especially a team that's lacking RIvera and Robertson right now. Some guys are not made to be starters and can flourish as relievers. Just refer to Mo.

Look at Mo's WHIP and ERA once he was converted full time to the pen. Not to mention his K to walk ratio. Not saying Hughes will be the next Rivera but with his mindset he'd be best in the pen for this team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ma01.shtml

Hughes whip and K to walk ratio are still good. I think the era can be misleading.( collisions in the outfield or if you're taken out for a reliever who allows your runner to score).

I also don't like when the detractors take his first full year as a starter and say he can't be a starter because he had a bad second half. Not taking into account he pitched an extra 70ip when it's usually increased by maybe 30 each year. Also the second half wasn't as bad. He had good starts in there as well.
    I miss igotid88
    DS1119 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Who's to say Rivera wouldn't have been a good starter. He wasn'tn given much of a chance to succeed there. And it wasn't until he was 25 when he started to get his velocity. And we can't always put every pitcher who strikes people out in the bullpen. I just want to see a couple full seasons in a row so he can command those offspeed pitches. He's probably 200ip behind where most pitchers his age are at this point.

Well RIvera wasn't a good starter and I truly believe that Hughes should be groomed as a reliever. He's not a "kid" anymore. He's 26 and a fastball pitcher. His strengths need to be utilized before they are wasted. He's a perfect 7 and 8th inning guy if not a future closer type guy IMHO. Hughes/RObertson....Robertson/Hughes could be a very nice combination for the next 10 years. All the meanwhile while Joe continues this Hughes experiment he's throwing away games.

Rivera only had 10 starts. Hard to say he couldn't have a good starter. Fortunately for him and the Yankees he succeeded in the bullpen. And yes Hughes is not a kid. But in terms of pitching he's still learning. Injuries and bullpen set him back some. And why take away a month of good starts? He's not the only pitcher who has struggled in the beginning.
    I miss igotid88
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    igotid88 wrote:
    Rivera only had 10 starts. Hard to say he couldn't have a good starter. Fortunately for him and the Yankees he succeeded in the bullpen. And yes Hughes is not a kid. But in terms of pitching he's still learning. Injuries and bullpen set him back some. And why take away a month of good starts? He's not the only pitcher who has struggled in the beginning.

There's a reason Hughes has bounced in and out of the rotation through the years. Other than his wonderful first half of 2010 he has struggled to grab a rotation spot. He flourishes in the pen and I jjust truly believe that's where he belongs. Up until about a month ago I was drinking the Hughes Kool Aid too. This team is in no position to be grooming kids. With the money the team throws around year after year they could easily fill his 4th or 5th rotation spot with someone. He's a stud out of the pen.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    I don't have the energy to argue/discuss this much tonight but I'd put him in triple a and let him figure it out as a starter, I just don't think they can carry that ERA on the team if it stays as is. I don't like the idea of making him a reliever yet.

No chance I last for this whole game
    Good god
    DS1119 wrote:
    This team is in no position to be grooming kids. With the money the team throws around year after year they could easily fill his 4th or 5th rotation spot with someone.

I agree with this. I don't think the Yanks are in a position to let a pitcher take their lumps to the tune of an ERA of almost 6. I don't want them giving up on him as a starter and it would blow for Hughes but send him down and give him a while to work on everything and see what happens.
    Gotta love boras in his field level suite behind home plate
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Gotta love boras in his field level suite behind home plate

Was he counting some money?
    DS1119 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

There's a reason Hughes has bounced in and out of the rotation through the years. Other than his wonderful first half of 2010 he has struggled to grab a rotation spot. He flourishes in the pen and I jjust truly believe that's where he belongs. Up until about a month ago I was drinking the Hughes Kool Aid too. This team is in no position to be grooming kids. With the money the team throws around year after year they could easily fill his 4th or 5th rotation spot with someone. He's a stud out of the pen.

Most of that due to injury. And who's to say he will continue to flourish in the bullpen. Like a starter you still need to locate your fastball. He usually locates his fastball well. This season he has left a few up. And he needs to get rid of the cutter. He's dominating left handers this year. Righties have been giving him problems. And t seems like every year he's learning a new pitch. He's incorporated the changeup more and it's helped. But he needs to throw it more.
    I miss igotid88
    Damn Swisher robbed twice
    I miss igotid88
    Bases loaded full of Yankees is a pitcher's dream
    I miss igotid88
    Hate to say it but this team sucks right now. I see 2008 all over again.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:
    Bases loaded full of Yankees is a pitcher's dream
    You got that right.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    If this team can't score at least 1 here, my heads gonna explode, which would suck
    There you go
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If this team can't score at least 1 here, my heads gonna explode, which would suck

as soon as i put it on..boom

16 homers.wow...i need to start watching
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Just called that home run to my friend right before that pitch.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Ca-YES!!!!
    I miss igotid88
    Good stuff. Now do your job, nova.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Good stuff. Now do your job, nova.

Jinx. :fp: :lol:

As soon as I read this Nova gave up a bomb.
    Nice win. Scary with Trumbo up at the end of the game. Finish 4-2 out west.
    Not an easy 6-2 record. But a win's a win.
    I miss igotid88
    Nice trip out west. Would be good to take 2 of 3 from Detroit this weekend.

Umpires are out of control. Something needs to be done. Between the first inning check swing and this, the egos on these guys are unreal. You're a fucking umpire.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/31/m ... o-big-win/
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    igotid88 wrote:

5.60 era.

no not easy....pretty fucking incredible is more like it. :shock: :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Nice trip out west. Would be good to take 2 of 3 from Detroit this weekend.

Umpires are out of control. Something needs to be done. Between the first inning check swing and this, the egos on these guys are unreal. You're a fucking umpire.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/31/m ... o-big-win/
    How does Girardi, former catcher, not see this and tear into that sorry excuse for an ump?
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    igotid88 wrote:

5.60 era.

no not easy....pretty fucking incredible is more like it. :shock: :lol:

When your offense averages 6 runs a game and the bullpen pitches to just an under 1.00 era in your starts. The chances of winning are good. Defense has been decent. But he has the stuff to pitch better.
    I miss igotid88
    The Yankees are getting the minor league affiliates involved with HOPE Week. Awesome stuff. Am sure that will do a lot of good in some of these smaller communities. Glad to see HOPE Week take off like it has.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    One of the best things the Yankees have ever done, nice to see the entire organization participating in this great event.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Yankees are getting the minor league affiliates involved with HOPE Week. Awesome stuff. Am sure that will do a lot of good in some of these smaller communities. Glad to see HOPE Week take off like it has.
    One of the best things the Yankees have ever done, nice to see the entire organization participating in this great event.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, man. Great stuff.
    Just saw something fromCBS that SOriano will retain the closers role after Robertson returns.