The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Sooooo, this is just incredible. The yankees signed cano's cousin, Burt Reynolds, yes, that's his name. And he has the most unbelievable twitter account ever. I am speechless. This is awesome
    Yeeeeaaaahh, his twitter account his great. Am sure he's going to have to tone that down.
  • http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1027159

I really hope the Yanks find a way to keep Martin, this is one guy I don't want to lose.

Agree for the most part. He does a great job with the pitchers but has to get his average up. Cant put up another sub .240 average and expect big money. Miguel Montero could be out there too which would be good too but will take more money than Martin.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agree for the most part. He does a great job with the pitchers but has to get his average up. Cant put up another sub .240 average and expect big money. Miguel Montero could be out there too which would be good too but will take more money than Martin.

Not to change the subject on ya Cliffy, but speaking of Monteros...the other Montero, Jesus...have you heard if they think he'll start in Seattle this year? Catcher or somewhere else?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Mariners are going to start him at catcher from what I've read
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not to change the subject on ya Cliffy, but speaking of Monteros...the other Montero, Jesus...have you heard if they think he'll start in Seattle this year? Catcher or somewhere else?

I think they are going to give him every chance to start at catcher, assume he'll get a lot of games there this year and if he's terrible, it will be DH or they have to figure out what to do with Smoak and have him start at first. Will definitely be interesting. Yankees clearly didn't see him as a catcher.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think they are going to give him every chance to start at catcher, assume he'll get a lot of games there this year and if he's terrible, it will be DH or they have to figure out what to do with Smoak and have him start at first. Will definitely be interesting. Yankees clearly didn't see him as a catcher.

Ah, thanks, interesting. Its too bad really -- I was excited about the guy as a Yankee, but I see why they traded him. SEeing that .328 avg last year (in limited at bats, I know) makes me interested to see how he'll do this year too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

Ah, thanks, interesting. Its too bad really -- I was excited about the guy as a Yankee, but I see why they traded him. SEeing that .328 avg last year (in limited at bats, I know) makes me interested to see how he'll do this year too.

Yeah, definitely a shame. He is going to hit for a long time in the big leagues. Harder to get pitching than it is to get hitting though. I was Montero's biggest fan. I do understand and think the trade makes sense though.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul.
    www.myspace.com
    rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul.

Not a big fan.
    This looks weird

ph_116380.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This looks weird

ph_116380.jpg

Ha. Really weird.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This looks weird

ph_116380.jpg

Ha. Really weird.

Yeah, I still haven't figured this whole Ibanez thing out yet. It'll take some time.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This looks weird

ph_116380.jpg

Ha. Really weird.

Yeah, I still haven't figured this whole Ibanez thing out yet. It'll take some time.

It'll probably go like this - you'll convince yourself he's decent due to his value, and then after a couple months you'll realize he wasn't worth it even if he puts up 20/85-ish because they'll be at inopportune times that don't really mean shit. And his low on-base will drive you nuts.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This looks weird

ph_116380.jpg

Ha. Really weird.

:| Meh, i don't expect much
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This looks weird

ph_116380.jpg

Ha. Really weird.

:| Meh, i don't expect much

Dude's probably gonna be in the lineup 70% of the time, so if you expect to win you should.
    It'll probably go like this - you'll convince yourself he's decent due to his value, and then after a couple months you'll realize he wasn't worth it even if he puts up 20/85-ish because they'll be at inopportune times that don't really mean shit. And his low on-base will drive you nuts.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Jones is talking like he's going to be taking some peoples jobs this spring so we'll see. I would imagine he'll put up some decent numbers with the short porch but I hope he only plays against righties.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Jones is talking like he's going to be taking some peoples jobs this spring so we'll see. I would imagine he'll put up some decent numbers with the short porch but I hope he only plays against righties.

I think Jones will get the DH time against lefties except on days they decide to rest Jeter or A-Rod. I'd ike to think that Girardi is smart enough to keep Ibanez on the bench against lefties. They should probably just lock him in the bathroom and not let him out until a righty reliever enters the game on those days.
  • There was an interesting piece in the Post today about Jones being a hall of famer. He has 420 home runs, but even the quotes from him had him saying he didn't believe he was a hall of famer at the present. But it is interesting since during several of his years with the Braves, he was among the top center fielders in the game.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • except on days they decide to rest Jeter or A-Rod.

I always laugh when I hear a baseball player has a night off to get some rest. :lol:
    Then again, those two are getting up there in baseball years.
    There was an interesting piece in the Post today about Jones being a hall of famer. He has 420 home runs, but even the quotes from him had him saying he didn't believe he was a hall of famer at the present. But it is interesting since during several of his years with the Braves, he was among the top center fielders in the game.

Heard about this. Will have to check it out. Seemed like he was a clear cut hall of famer in his early days. Will have to check it out.

Joe Poz has a post up comparing Mike Cameron to Jim Rice. Am sure that will piss some people off.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Hall of Fame is interesting and frustrating.

I think if you just compare numbers across generations you can get into trouble. you gotta compare them to their own era. Jones was the best of the best defensively but offensively i'm not sure how he stacks up against his contemporaries i'd have to look

also for me they have to pass the eyeball test. You know a first ballot hall of famer when you see one play. Jones is not one, but maybe he gets in down the road

He had a good 10 year run. I can't help but suspect steroids with him and perhaps that is why all of a sudden he can only be a platoon player and he has not even hit 35 years old yet. Either that or he lied about his age and was older when he came over from the netherlands. His OPS + is only 111 for his career which is good. Not sure its hall of fame good. You compare it to a guy like Bernie Williams who played the same position in a similar era and his OPS + is 125 and most folks agree great yankee but not a hal of famer I think for hitters its always nice to see you finish in the top 5 for the MVP award a few times which neither of them did.

so yeah he has some good stats was great defensively but in my eyes not a hall of famer. Especially if Bernie isn't one
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I don't think Jones is getting in the Hall. He was great for a while but he fell off pretty dramatically when he entered the decline phase of his career. He's got a lot of HRs and was an excellent defender but he was an all-or-nothing type of hitter. He was good for a HR but he struck out a ton, never hit for much of an average aside from 2000 and hasn't hit better than .247 in the last 5 seasons (and that was last year as a platoon player). I think he falls just a little short of being a Hall of Fame player but he was great for a while. Plus, he palyed at the same time as Ken Griffey Jr. and the comparisons could sway some voters away from him. It's been so long sinc ehe was good that I was surprised to look at his numbers and see that he has a stronger case that I would've thought, though. I jsut don't think 400 HRs in this era is going to cut it when you look at his low average and the fact that you'd expect a CF to have more SB even if he was hitting in the middle of the lineup (he hasn't had double-digits in steals since 2001.
    The Burt Reynolds twitter account is gone. Saw that coming. Mouth Hugs will forever been in my vocabulary now.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Burt Reynolds twitter account is gone. Saw that coming. Mouth Hugs will forever been in my vocabulary now.

Why? What was wrong with it? I only read a few tweets but it was nothing bad.
    I miss igotid88
    Got my hands on an advance copy of this

http://www.amazon.com/Pinstripe-Empire- ... 1608194922

Going to dig into it tonight. I can't wait. I hear it's about as good as any Yankees book written.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Got my hands on an advance copy of this

http://www.amazon.com/Pinstripe-Empire- ... 1608194922

Going to dig into it tonight. I can't wait. I hear it's about as good as any Yankees book written.
    Should be good. Marty Appel is pretty close with the organization.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Awww man. Look who's at camp.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/02/27/p ... ut-really/

I miss that dude.