The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    If the pirates are willingto send the yankees a 2 liter of coke and a snickers bar for Aj Burnnett stop putzing around and make the damn trade!!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I fit happens it's a good deal for Pittsburgh. Let's say Burnett returns to his form somehow...what a bargain for them. :o
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    DS1119 wrote:
    I fit happens it's a good deal for Pittsburgh. Let's say Burnett returns to his form somehow...what a bargain for them. :o

I actually think he'll do really well in Pittsburgh. The switch to a soft hitting league (which lost two of its best hitters) in a pitcher friendly park with a lot less pressure will help him a lot. I could see him putting up some really good numbers. I hope he does.
    Awesome stuff on Kuroda

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2012/02/ ... %e8%ac%9d/

I can't wait to watch him pitch. Love a consistent pitcher like that.
    The Yankees and Pirates are still discussing the deal and it'll probably be completed, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets. It seems likely that the Pirates will take on $13-15MM of the $33MM remaining on Burnett's contract and give up two non-roster players.

First news of today. If the Yankees save that much money and get anything in return, that's impressive.
  • If they save 15 million that's a HR for Cash.
    If they save 15 million that's a HR for Cash.

For sure
  • Reports are Hughes is much slimmer and in great shape, lets hope he stays healthy and regains his form.
    Reports are Hughes is much slimmer and in great shape, lets hope he stays healthy and regains his form.
    I've been rooting for hughes all along. If he can get it togetherand pineda can make the transition to the AL east..... Well the rotation looks pretty solid in my opinion if those two come around and AJ gets shipped out of town
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Reports are Hughes is much slimmer and in great shape, lets hope he stays healthy and regains his form.
    I've been rooting for hughes all along. If he can get it togetherand pineda can make the transition to the AL east..... Well the rotation looks pretty solid in my opinion if those two come around and AJ gets shipped out of town

I am a big fan of the Yanks rotation this year. Pineda has some development but I am a fan. Kuroda is about as consistent as it gets. Nova should have another good year, not going to strike out a ton of guys but will get it done and then it's down to Sweaty Freddy and Hughes.
  • Heyman is saying that Cleveland is one of the other teams interested in Burnett. The Yankees would do a Burnett/Hafner swap but the Indians may not want to give him up for AJ.

The Angels were looking into a deal, too, but every West Coast team is on AJ's no-trade list because his wife is from Maryland and doesn't like to fly.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Heyman is saying that Cleveland is one of the other teams interested in Burnett. The Yankees would do a Burnett/Hafner swap but the Indians may not want to give him up for AJ.

The Angels were looking into a deal, too, but every West Coast team is on AJ's no-trade list because his wife is from Maryland and doesn't like to fly.

Any way we can trade AJ and keep the wife?
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:
    Heyman is saying that Cleveland is one of the other teams interested in Burnett. The Yankees would do a Burnett/Hafner swap but the Indians may not want to give him up for AJ.

why? can she pitch?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    igotid88 wrote:

why? can she pitch?

No but she can catch. :mrgreen:

http://instantrimshot.com/
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Jeter's the first one at camp. Now I'm ready for the season to begin.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/ ... YCeH8DmM/0
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    DS1119 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

why? can she pitch?

No but she can catch. :mrgreen:

http://instantrimshot.com/
    Fucking post of the year! wel done
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196

No thanks on Hafner. Would rather they roll the dice on Pirates prospects than 80 games of mediocre, immobile production. I haven't heard any names from the Pirates system being floated. Maybe they'll roll the dice on Stetson Allie?
    pjl44 wrote:

No thanks on Hafner. Would rather they roll the dice on Pirates prospects than 80 games of mediocre, immobile production. I haven't heard any names from the Pirates system being floated. Maybe they'll roll the dice on Stetson Allie?

Pirates are no names. Two non 40 man roster prospects described as "meh". Yanks aren't getting anything worthwhile back.
    Burnett rejected an Abreu-Burnett swap.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Pirates are no names. Two non 40 man roster prospects described as "meh". Yanks aren't getting anything worthwhile back.

Then what's the point in pushing to trade him? Despite his issues, you're all but guaranteed 180 innings of mediocre production with the upside of a #2 if he happened to get his head straight. That has value and I'd much rather gamble on that than save $10-15 million and get a bag of balls in return.
    pjl44 wrote:
    Then what's the point in pushing to trade him? Despite his issues, you're all but guaranteed 180 innings of mediocre production with the upside of a #2 if he happened to get his head straight. That has value and I'd much rather gamble on that than save $10-15 million and get a bag of balls in return.

That's just it. Too much pitching and money for a lefty dh to platoon with Jones. I'm sure they are really hoping for Hughes to take the 5th spot, then AJ would be a $16.5 middle reliever and pretty much the 4th-6th reliever off the bench.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Once they got Kuroda you knew they were thinking of getting rid of AJ. Hughes has more upside and Garcia is a spot starter. If AJ was the 5th starter okay but he's being paid as a #1 or 2. No matter what happens in spring training Hughes needs to get the 5th spot. They can't keep toying with him and putting him in the bullpen. He needs the innings.
    I miss igotid88
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

That's just it. Too much pitching and money for a lefty dh to platoon with Jones. I'm sure they are really hoping for Hughes to take the 5th spot, then AJ would be a $16.5 middle reliever and pretty much the 4th-6th reliever off the bench.

The salary's a sunk cost. If they can't get more back than a warm body, hang onto him for rotation depth. I've heard lots of allusions to his makeup, but am really curious about what his off-the-field issues entail.
  • pjl44 wrote:
    The salary's a sunk cost. If they can't get more back than a warm body, hang onto him for rotation depth. I've heard lots of allusions to his makeup, but am really curious about what his off-the-field issues entail.

AJ seems like a pretty good guy from everything you see and hear, I think the whole black eye thing came from an altercation with Eiland who rumors are had a serious alcohol problem.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    A little late, but congrats on the Pineda trade. I think you won that cleanly.
  • I think the sunk cost aspect is why they need to trade him and take whatever they can get. At least that way they'll decrease the cost somewhat. The money isn't the issue with him. The problem is that he's literally the worst starter in baseball over the past 2 season among guys with enough innings to qualify for the ERA title in each year. Only Lackey has a higher combined ERA over the past 2 seasons Just slightly) but he 2010 ERA was 4.40 so he only passed him due to his amazingly bad 2011. AJ's the only starter in MLB to put up a 5.00 ERA or worse each of the past 2 years. Having him on the roster isn't just costing them money, it's costing them wins and causing them to overuse the bullpen because he averaged less than 6 IP per start and usually left the game with multiple runners on base. Not to mention the fact that he's led the league in wild pitches 2 of the last 3 seasons and led the league in hitting batters the only season he didn't lead the league in wild pitches (and even then he only had 1 less wild pitch than he did the year before). Getting rid of him can only make the team better because they're removing a negative performer. If he wasn't making as much money as he is they would have just released him and been done with it. If a situation arises where they have 2 injured starters, it's a pretty safe bet that whoever gets the call from AAA will be better than he's been over the last 2 seasons.

As for the attitude issues, his childish reactions to being yanked from games in the 5th inning last year are a big reason why he's no longer viewed as a positive guy to have around. He'd get pulled in the 5th inning with a slim lead but 2-3 runners on base in the middle of another one of his endless string of mid-game meltdowns and he acted like Girardi was trying to prevent him from getting credited with the win as if that's more important than preventing him from blowing another lead.

pjl44 wrote:
  • Fow what it's worth, Jim Bowden says a deal with the Pirates should be done within the next 24 hours and that the Yankees are weighing one other offer for AJ from another team. Of course, Bowden also said his sources told him Kuroda was going to take Boston's offer and that didn't happen.

edit: I just saw that Buster Olney also says that the talks with Pittsburgh are moving ahead but another team made a proposal yesterday that NY is also considering. He doesn't say what team made the offer, just that it's not Cleveland.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    I think the sunk cost aspect is why they need to trade him and take whatever they can get. At least that way they'll decrease the cost somewhat. The money isn't the issue with him. The problem is that he's literally the worst starter in baseball over the past 2 season among guys with enough innings to qualify for the ERA title in each year. Only Lackey has a higher combined ERA over the past 2 seasons Just slightly) but he 2010 ERA was 4.40 so he only passed him due to his amazingly bad 2011. AJ's the only starter in MLB to put up a 5.00 ERA or worse each of the past 2 years. Having him on the roster isn't just costing them money, it's costing them wins and causing them to overuse the bullpen because he averaged less than 6 IP per start and usually left the game with multiple runners on base. Not to mention the fact that he's led the league in wild pitches 2 of the last 3 seasons and led the league in hitting batters the only season he didn't lead the league in wild pitches (and even then he only had 1 less wild pitch than he did the year before). Getting rid of him can only make the team better because they're removing a negative performer. If he wasn't making as much money as he is they would have just released him and been done with it. If a situation arises where they have 2 injured starters, it's a pretty safe bet that whoever gets the call from AAA will be better than he's been over the last 2 seasons.

As for the attitude issues, his childish reactions to being yanked from games in the 5th inning last year are a big reason why he's no longer viewed as a positive guy to have around. He'd get pulled in the 5th inning with a slim lead but 2-3 runners on base in the middle of another one of his endless string of mid-game meltdowns and he acted like Girardi was trying to prevent him from getting credited with the win as if that's more important than preventing him from blowing another lead.

monster rain, you are the man. your analysis deserves a wider audience than us knuckleheads who troll the PJ baseball threads. If you ever have anything SF Giants related, feel free to share:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=123422

:mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13