The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• I can understand why a Pirates fan(s) would actually want AJ wow their staff is bad lol

Jeff Karstens
    Erik Bedard
    Charlie Morton
    James McDonald
    Kevin Correia
  • Plus, recent Yankee cast-offs wind up being halfway decent there (Karstens last year, Ohlendorf for a short time a few years ago).
    I can understand why a Pirates fan(s) would actually want AJ wow their staff is bad lol

Jeff Karstens
    Erik Bedard
    Charlie Morton
    James McDonald
    Kevin Correia
  • Yep and if I was Cash I wouldn't cave in Yanks can always wait and see if another team loses a starter during the spring and move him than.
  • imalive wrote:
    I think the sunk cost aspect is why they need to trade him and take whatever they can get. At least that way they'll decrease the cost somewhat. The money isn't the issue with him. The problem is that he's literally the worst starter in baseball over the past 2 season among guys with enough innings to qualify for the ERA title in each year. Only Lackey has a higher combined ERA over the past 2 seasons Just slightly) but he 2010 ERA was 4.40 so he only passed him due to his amazingly bad 2011. AJ's the only starter in MLB to put up a 5.00 ERA or worse each of the past 2 years. Having him on the roster isn't just costing them money, it's costing them wins and causing them to overuse the bullpen because he averaged less than 6 IP per start and usually left the game with multiple runners on base. Not to mention the fact that he's led the league in wild pitches 2 of the last 3 seasons and led the league in hitting batters the only season he didn't lead the league in wild pitches (and even then he only had 1 less wild pitch than he did the year before). Getting rid of him can only make the team better because they're removing a negative performer. If he wasn't making as much money as he is they would have just released him and been done with it. If a situation arises where they have 2 injured starters, it's a pretty safe bet that whoever gets the call from AAA will be better than he's been over the last 2 seasons.

As for the attitude issues, his childish reactions to being yanked from games in the 5th inning last year are a big reason why he's no longer viewed as a positive guy to have around. He'd get pulled in the 5th inning with a slim lead but 2-3 runners on base in the middle of another one of his endless string of mid-game meltdowns and he acted like Girardi was trying to prevent him from getting credited with the win as if that's more important than preventing him from blowing another lead.

monster rain, you are the man. your analysis deserves a wider audience than us knuckleheads who troll the PJ baseball threads. If you ever have anything SF Giants related, feel free to share:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=123422

:mrgreen:

Thanks. Sometimes being anal-retentive comes in handy. :) I've definitely clenched my cheeks during more than a few of AJ's starts.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    Sounds like the AJ trade is going to get done in the next day or so then they'll be signing Ibanez and Chavez. I'm not a huge fan of Ibanez, I guess hopefully he can be helpful for 200-300 at bats.
  • Yeah today looks like the last day in pinstripes for AJ. He was definitely frustrating as hell to watch but at least he stepped up a few times in the playoffs. Anyway can't believe we're 2 weeks away from the first spring game, 28 here we come.
    Yeah today looks like the last day in pinstripes for AJ. He was definitely frustrating as hell to watch but at least he stepped up a few times in the playoffs. Anyway can't believe we're 2 weeks away from the first spring game, 28 here we come.

Yeah. As I said, in a weird way I'm sad to see him go. Crazy what one game can do.
  • Remeber how Hideki Okajima signed a minor-league deal with the Yankees? Well, he failed his physical and won't be joining the team.
    Trade is in place it sounds like

Thanks for this

m0fup.jpg

I think he'll do well in Pittsburgh. Best of luck.
  • Now that they're about to finish up with that saga they can get back to looking for a DH. I've seen the reports that Ibanez is their top choice but I jsut don't understand why. I have a bad feeling that they'll regret it if they sign him. What are the odds that a 40-year old gets better after having a bad season at 39?
    Now that they're about to finish up with that saga they can get back to looking for a DH. I've seen the reports that Ibanez is their top choice but I jsut don't understand why. I have a bad feeling that they'll regret it if they sign him. What are the odds that a 40-year old gets better after having a bad season at 39?

I don't get why they are going Ibanez over Damon either. I don't necessarily think they'll regret it as I'msure they'll trade for a bat if need be but I don't expect anything out of him. He'll only get a couple hundred at bats and not playing the field should help but he's just not good anymore.
    This may be one of the players coming in the trade. Old for where he is, but not terrible numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... reno001die

Edit:

Pirates prospects: "The Pirates didn’t sign Moreno until he was 20, which is relatively old for a Latin prospect to sign, but he’d had a jump in velocity. His fastball regularly reaches 97. He also throws a sharp slider that registers in the mid-80s, and an occasional change. He throws from a 3/4 angle that probably adds to the difficulty for RH hitters. So far, he’s had very good control."
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Now that they're about to finish up with that saga they can get back to looking for a DH. I've seen the reports that Ibanez is their top choice but I jsut don't understand why. I have a bad feeling that they'll regret it if they sign him. What are the odds that a 40-year old gets better after having a bad season at 39?

I don't get why they are going Ibanez over Damon either. I don't necessarily think they'll regret it as I'msure they'll trade for a bat if need be but I don't expect anything out of him. He'll only get a couple hundred at bats and not playing the field should help but he's just not good anymore.

Yeah, I've seen reports that say they think he's better in the field than Damon or Matsui (definitely better than Matsui but aside from arm strength I'm not sure he's better than Damon), but it makes no sense to me. Most of his playing time will be at DH so why choose a guy who hit .245 last year (and was horrible anywhere but Citizens Bank Park) when there's a guy available who can actually hit well in any park and can hit both lefties and righties? I would assume the asking price is probably higher for Damon, but how much can he really be asking for at this point? For a 1-year deal I just don't see a reason to go with the cheaper option when the price difference is probably only a couple million dollars and they just cut at least $5 million from the books for this season.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I've seen reports that say they think he's better in the field than Damon or Matsui (definitely better than Matsui but aside from arm strength I'm not sure he's better than Damon), but it makes no sense to me. Most of his playing time will be at DH so why choose a guy who hit .245 last year (and was horrible anywhere but Citizens Bank Park) when there's a guy available who can actually hit well in any park and can hit both lefties and righties? I would assume the asking price is probably higher for Damon, but how much can he really be asking for at this point? For a 1-year deal I just don't see a reason to go with the cheaper option when the price difference is probably only a couple million dollars and they just cut at least $5 million from the books for this season.

Agreed and who gives a shit what he can do in the field, he's the 5th outfielder and will probably see about 10 innings in the field.
  • I wouldn't give any of these guys the yanks are looking at a guaranteed contract. Offer them a minor league deal and wait and see if any teams lose a starter during the spring. With our SP depth(Garcia,Mitchell,Phelps) we should be able to grab a bat instead of going with one of the fossils that are being talked about.
  • I was looking at Ken Rosenthal's Twitter (via Twackle since Twitter is blocked at work) and there are quite a few Pirates fans excited about acquiring AJ. I feel so bad for them. I don't know if they really think he's going to be good or if they're just so beaten down by 2 decades of losing records that any scrap heap deal seems like a blessing based solely on it not being one of their "prospects" who would be warming the bench on most other organizations' AAA teams.
  • I wont be surprised at all if he has some success, AJ will have it much easier pitching in the AAA league the pirates play in.
    I was looking at Ken Rosenthal's Twitter (via Twackle since Twitter is blocked at work) and there are quite a few Pirates fans excited about acquiring AJ. I feel so bad for them. I don't know if they really think he's going to be good or if they're just so beaten down by 2 decades of losing records that any scrap heap deal seems like a blessing based solely on it not being one of their "prospects" who would be warming the bench on most other organizations' AAA teams.

I don't think this is a bad move for them. Better pitchers park, much worse hitters and less pressure. I think he'll be pretty good. I wouldn't be suprsied if he has a good year.
    I wouldn't give any of these guys the yanks are looking at a guaranteed contract. Offer them a minor league deal and wait and see if any teams lose a starter during the spring. With our SP depth(Garcia,Mitchell,Phelps) we should be able to grab a bat instead of going with one of the fossils that are being talked about.

Yeah, I hate the idea of Ibanez the most.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I wouldn't give any of these guys the yanks are looking at a guaranteed contract. Offer them a minor league deal and wait and see if any teams lose a starter during the spring. With our SP depth(Garcia,Mitchell,Phelps) we should be able to grab a bat instead of going with one of the fossils that are being talked about.

Yeah, I hate the idea of Ibanez the most.

At least if it happens my Philly boots won't annoy me as much with Ed's love-fest with

Raaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuul ;)

Those moments always make me cringe. Not for me, but for Ed

Ok shout the guy out but

Raaaaaaauuuuuuul in that voice.......gross
  • Trade done yanks save 13mm
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    What if A.J. fails the physical?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    What if A.J. fails the physical?

Suprisingly his health was all he had going for him. He's not going to fail and if he does he probably wouldn't pitch this season anyways.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thanks for this

m0fup.jpg

my grandmother could whiff Howard :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thanks for this

m0fup.jpg

my grandmother could whiff Howard :lol:

ha, true. Best picture I could find from that game that showed both teams.
    Spring training bitches
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Trade official press release

The New York Yankees today announced they have traded right-handed pitcher A.J. Burnett and cash considerations to Pittsburgh in exchange for minor leaguers RHP Diego Moreno and OF Exicardo Cayones.

Moreno, 25, combined to make 41 relief appearances with Single-A Bradenton and Double-A Altoona in 2011, going 2-4 with a 3.63 ERA (44.2IP, 18ER). He struck out 45 batters and held opponents to a .218 (36-for-165) batting average. In five minor league seasons (2007-11), he has combined to strike out 212 batters in 194.0 innings pitched over 116 games (six starts). A native of Higuerote, Venezuela, Moreno was signed by the Pirates as a non-drafted free agent on August 21, 2006.

Cayones, 20, was signed as a non-drafted free agent on July 4, 2008, out of Valencia, Venezuela. In three minor league seasons, he has batted .272 (128-for-471) with 34 doubles, seven triples, one home run and 68 RBI in 149 games, appearing at all three outfield positions. He split the 2011 season between the GCL Pirates and short-season Single-A State College, combining to hit .228 (26-for-114) in 38 games.

Burnett, 35, was signed by the Yankees as a free agent on December 18, 2008, to a five-year contract. In his three seasons with the club, he went 34-35 with a 4.79 ERA (584.0IP, 311ER) in 99 games (98 starts). His 58 wild pitches recorded during his three-year stint with the Yankees (2009-11) were the most for any Major League pitcher over a three-season span since Tony Cloninger threw 62 wild pitches from 1964 through 1966, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

He posted an 11-11 record with a 5.15 ERA (190.1IP, 109ER) in 33 appearances (32GS) with the Yankees in 2011, setting career-highs in home runs allowed (31) and tying a career-high in earned runs allowed, while ranking first with a franchise-record 25 wild pitches – the most by any Major League pitcher in a single season since the start of the 2000s and the fifth most since 1900.
    I miss igotid88
    While it's only $1 mil, I'm not a big fan of this deal at all. For some reason the team likes Ibanez a lot more than Damon. Could be that Damon's asking for $5 mil while Ibanez is asking for $1 mil. I really hope he doesn't see more than 300 at bats.