The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    He's already faced AJ 47 times in the new stadium? :)
    Branyan's a worthy gamble. probably won't do anything, but he does have 8 HR's in 47 at bats at New yankee Stadium

He hit an absolute shot into the upper deck the first year, right? Believe he was with Seattle.

Can't see him making a team but no reason not to have the body in spring training.
  • Well in Burnett's defense, he only gave two of those home runs:

at Old Yankee Stadium
    07-23-1999 - David Cone
    09-16-2000 - Orlando Hernandez
    06-02-2001 - Roger Clemens

Branyan at New Yankee Stadum

07-02-09 - Alfredo Aceves
    05-28-10 - Phil Hughes
    05-29-10 - Chad Gaudin
    06-30-10 - Damaso Marte
    08-20-10 - AJ Burnett
    08-20-10 - AJ Burnett
    08-21-10 - Javier Vazquez
    08-11-11 - Mariano Rivera
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    Branyan's a worthy gamble. probably won't do anything, but he does have 8 HR's in 47 at bats at New yankee Stadium

wasn't there a time when RB was going to be "the next big thing"? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • He's already faced AJ 47 times in the new stadium? :)

nice one! I almost wrote that he would no longer be able to face AJ unless he is traded to an AL team
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Yankees TV host Bob Lorenz charged with DUI
    http://www.westport-news.com/news/artic ... id=twitter
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    igotid88 wrote:

wait...bob lorenz does tv work for the yankees?! :lol:

...when i was a kid we used to make crank phone calls and record them like the jerky boys. i had a little schtick i would do and my name was always bob lorenz after this guy....but i spelled it with a silent "f" at the end for not apparent reason. i still have the tapes

this is the first i've heard of this dude in years :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:

...when i was a kid we used to make crank phone calls and record them like the jerky boys. i had a little schtick i would do and my name was always bob lorenz after this guy....but i spelled it with a silent "f" at the end for not apparent reason. i still have the tapes

Yep, YES Network.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Yep, YES Network.

that is hilarious....somewhere there are people who, unknowingly, are haunted by a younger, more immature juggler whenever they hear the name Bob Lorenzf.
    www.myspace.com
    K Law on Montero

As a catcher, Montero is not a catcher

That about sums it up.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    imalive wrote:

wasn't there a time when RB was going to be "the next big thing"? :?

Yes. Every year for about five years was going to be his "break out" year. :lol:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    K Law on Montero

That about sums it up.

Ya, but if he ends up hitting like Manny Ramirez, what does it matter. Our teams getting older and older and we trade away our one big young hot hitting stud, for what...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    K Law on Montero

That about sums it up.

Ya, but if he ends up hitting like Manny Ramirez, what does it matter. Our teams getting older and older and we trade away our one big young hot hitting stud, for what...

No doubt, the kid is going to hit. But if he can't catch, the DH spot is going to be Arods in a couple years. Hitters hit the market, pitchers are coming available less and less and Pineda is a really good young pitcher. I obviously liked Montero as much as anyone but if he can't catch, he has no spot on this team.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    igotid88 wrote:
    https://twitter.com/#!/BillHall_III/status/166986219681624064
    @BillHall_III
    Bill Hall
    IT'S OFFICIAL IM A YANKEE!!!!!!!! #IwannaRing!!!!

your numbers for us sucked :x

41 ABs, .151 BA, 1 (fucking) RBI

I'm sure you'll push the Yanks over the hump :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Looks like the Yanks and Pirates are still talking AJ. It's weird, as bad as he has been the past couple years, I like the guy and will be sad to see him go.
  • He seemed like a great guy in the clubhouse in '09 & '10. He brought some fun to the team with his shaving cream pies but his whining last year was really annoying. When you're pitching that poorly you have no business pouting like a little child when the manager pulls you from the game. According to Ken Rosenthal, the Pirates are not one of the teams on his no-trade list. I guess he never thought there was a possibility of them trading for him with that contract, but the Yanks seem to be willing to eat a big chunk of it in order to get rid of him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like the Yanks and Pirates are still talking AJ. It's weird, as bad as he has been the past couple years, I like the guy and will be sad to see him go.
    He seemed like a great guy in the clubhouse in '09 & '10. He brought some fun to the team with his shaving cream pies but his whining last year was really annoying. When you're pitching that poorly you have no business pouting like a little child when the manager pulls you from the game. According to Ken Rosenthal, the Pirates are not one of the teams on his no-trade list. I guess he never thought there was a possibility of them trading for him with that contract, but the Yanks seem to be willing to eat a big chunk of it in order to get rid of him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, agreed with that situation. Girardi stuck up for him after and said it wasn't directed at him although it looked like it and Girardi will seemingly stick up for players anytime. I am sure he never thought he would be traded. I'm not so sure I would trade him now if you have to pay that much. I'd see what Hughes and Freddy have in spring training before moving him, I think, especially if you are eating that much money.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Can never have too many arms. If he's not a cancer in the locker room and you have pay the huge majority of his contract might as well keep him. If anything he could always just perform mop up duty.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Can never have too many arms. If he's not a cancer in the locker room and you have pay the huge majority of his contract might as well keep him. If anything he could always just perform mop up duty.

Agreed. At least wait till spring training. Who knows what Hughes will look like and I don't think you can expect the same numbers out of Freddy. And yeah, the DL happens and pitchers are needed.
  • According to Jon Heyman, it looks like the trade with the Pirates would go through if Pittsburgh is willing to pay $5 million of his salary each of the next 2 years. So far, they haven't offered to do that.
    Heyman is saying there's optimism a deal will get done. I guess with 7 pitchers, you're going to move one at some point and this will allow them to get a bat, I just hope they have more confidence in Hughes than I do right now. Not the biggest fan of this going down before spring training.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Heyman is saying there's optimism a deal will get done. I guess with 7 pitchers, you're going to move one at some point and this will allow them to get a bat, I just hope they have more confidence in Hughes than I do right now. Not the biggest fan of this going down before spring training.

I see your point, but there are risks if they keep him until Spring Training, too. If interested teams sign someone else or like what they see from a prospect in camp, they won't have a need to trade for AJ anymore. Also, if he struggles in the exhibition games it will make it virtually impossible to move him without eating even more of his salary. At this point, I don't think he'll ever come back around mentally to succeed in NY consistently. He needs to pitch somewhere with less pressure so every bad inning doesn't become headline news and make him afraid to pitch the way he did in '08 and '09.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I see your point, but there are risks if they keep him until Spring Training, too. If interested teams sign someone else or like what they see from a prospect in camp, they won't have a need to trade for AJ anymore. Also, if he struggles in the exhibition games it will make it virtually impossible to move him without eating even more of his salary. At this point, I don't think he'll ever come back around mentally to succeed in NY consistently. He needs to pitch somewhere with less pressure so every bad inning doesn't become headline news and make him afraid to pitch the way he did in '08 and '09.

Yeah, man. I hear you. And when is the last time you saw a player like that traded during spring training. Just doesn't seem to happen. Budgets and teams are more or less set. I don't know if its just game 2 that makes me like the guy. His playoff start this year was big too. Definitely weird, I should be willing to drive him to Pittsburgh.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Why no confidence in Hughes? I'm sure he'll bounce back. Pitchers have bad years after their first full year or taken a step back. He's barely had 600ip. It's taken 5 years for him to get there. So I think once he racks up innings consistently he should be okay. And he's had good stretches last year. He just needs to be healthy. And his velocity will be there.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Why no confidence in Hughes? I'm sure he'll bounce back. Pitchers have bad years after their first full year or taken a step back. He's barely had 600ip. It's taken 5 years for him to get there. So I think once he racks up innings consistently he should be okay. And he's had good stretches last year. He just needs to be healthy. And his velocity will be there.

I hope so. I just don't know if you can depend on it. Last year was a gigantic leap back. I am deifnitely hopeful. Last year was rough. If the Yankees trade AJ it has to be a vote of confidence for Hughes.
    3:47pm: The Pirates appear to be willing to absorb $10MM in a trade, Heyman tweets. The Yankees have been pushing for an even split and seek an OK prospect in return. Heyman tweets that the chances of a deal remain "decent."

I can't see the Yanks getting more than 10-12 and I cant see them getting anything back, but we'll see.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    3:47pm: The Pirates appear to be willing to absorb $10MM in a trade, Heyman tweets. The Yankees have been pushing for an even split and seek an OK prospect in return. Heyman tweets that the chances of a deal remain "decent."

I can't see the Yanks getting more than 10-12 and I cant see them getting anything back, but we'll see.

I don't see them getting anything back either. Maybe a low prospect body just to make them feel good. Feel if they could split...pull the trigger.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't see them getting anything back either. Maybe a low prospect body just to make them feel good. Feel if they could split...pull the trigger.

Yeah, agreed. If they get a split, they have to do it.

This is pretty fun

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/02/open-t ... bie-63810/
    Sounds like it's going to get done. Thanks for game 2.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

F U.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

F U.

:thumbup: