The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    if you are talking retiring 51, 20, you have to give it up for 21 as well.

throw in 6 and 46 while you are at it.

hmm, maybe the yankees will be the first team in professional sports to go to triple digits on the back of their jersey. ;)

Those two are home grown Yankees though. I think that means something. I think 46 will get it before 21.
    Why am I blanking on who wore 46?

Rhymes with Smandy Lettit.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    The Stare! :shock:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Personally, I see 21 as a lot more likely than 6 IMO.

Yeah, I don't think either of them are happening. I think 21 would have been done already if they were going to, especially with everyone they have coming up. He's been gone 10 years now. Crazy

Took the Yankees 15 years to retire Guidry's number.

That's true. All I know is that 51 and 20 need to get done ASAP.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    No more Kim Jones. Is it weird to say, I'm a little disappointed. I thought she did a good job. Although I assume this means more Jack Curry, which is always a good thing.
    That sucks. I liked her reporting during the games and after the games, especially after Jeter's 3,000th hit.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan when she first started but thought she has done really well the last few years.

This was great

KimJonesPorkChop.jpg
    Never thought I would say this. Very classy of Varitek

Via the Yankees, here's a comment from Jason Varitek:

"After hundreds of head-to-head games during the regular season and the postseason, I can't say I respect and admire anyone at our position more than I do Jorge. The hard work and preparation he put into catching is a huge reason he has five championships on his resume. He is a true grinder."
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    DS1119 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Those two are home grown Yankees though. I think that means something. I think 46 will get it before 21.
    Why am I blanking on who wore 46?

Thank you!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Thank you!

Brain lock...it happens.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    AJ is coming back. Andruw Jones that is.
    I miss igotid88
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    DS1119 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Thank you!

Brain lock...it happens.

brain lock on andy !!!!! :? ;););)

i suck at numbers on the yanks( besides the stars)

51 and 20 should be retired by them this year
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Jonathan Mayo released his top 100 prospects. Matt Moore came in ahead of Harper for the top spot. Montero actually is down to 12 this year and Banuelos is only one spot behind him at 13. Betances came in at 41, Gary Sanchez 53, Mason Williams at 73. No real suprises.
    KimJonesPorkChop.jpg

KBgvtOGwYj_id-hit-it-two-times.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    KimJonesPorkChop.jpg

KBgvtOGwYj_id-hit-it-two-times.jpg
    :lol::lol:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Is Nancy Newman still working Yankees games? I hate her. She always seems wasted when I see her on TV. Something ain't right with that one.
    Is Nancy Newman still working Yankees games? I hate her. She always seems wasted when I see her on TV. Something ain't right with that one.

Yeah, she sucks. Hopefully they don't let her out of the studio. I assume Jack Curry will take a bigger role. He knows his shit.
    Yankees signed Jim Hendry as an assistant to Cashman :?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Well you can't expect someone as important as Cashman to get his own coffee.
  • Cashmans love fest with ex sox continues we just signed manny decarlman
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol:

And Hendry had to do something well to get to the job he had, even if he was a horrible GM. Kind of like them having Towers a couple years ago, although Kevin Towers was much better.
    Yeah, Kevin Towers went and got himself another GM job after working for Cashman. I believe he's with Arizona now, so he's doing pretty well for himself right now. Hendry's probably hoping for the same fate but I don't know if Cashman will be able to help someone dumb enough to give out the contracts Hendry gave out. Cashman's best chance at making Hendry into a good GM candidate is to convince him to pull a Costanza and always do the opposite of his instincts.

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol:

And Hendry had to do something well to get to the job he had, even if he was a horrible GM. Kind of like them having Towers a couple years ago, although Kevin Towers was much better.
    Yeah, Kevin Towers went and got himself another GM job after working for Cashman. I believe he's with Arizona now, so he's doing pretty well for himself right now. Hendry's probably hoping for the same fate but I don't know if Cashman will be able to help someone dumb enough to give out the contracts Hendry gave out. Cashman's best chance at making Hendry into a good GM candidate is to convince him to pull a Costanza and always do the opposite of his instincts.

Yankes announced they hired him as a special assignment scout. I can live with that. Horrible at contracts for sure, but obviously has to know a thing or two about baseball to have gotten where he did.
    Billy Eppler promoted to assistant GM.

Donohue obviously promoted to replace Monahan
    Interesting thought on the Eppler promotion. Being set up to take over for Cashman in 3 years. The idea is that Cashman would be promoted to President or something.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/02/the-fu ... ice-63256/
    Yankees in serious talks with Raul Ibañez
    I miss igotid88
    Right now, I'm not in baseball mode. Still in football mode. Probably by opening day I'll be in baseball mode.
  • I still hope they go with Damon or Matsui over Ibanez. Ibanez is too old and was abysmal when he wasn't playing in the Phillies' homer-friendly park (.210 avg., .261 OBP, .317 SLG with 52.4 AB/HR on the road). I know that Yankee Stadium is a good place for a left-handed hitter with some power, but what good is a guy who can only hit at home and can only hit righties (.211 avg, .232 OBP, .353 SLG against lefties)? Damon can actually hit lefties (he hit .277 against them last year as opposed to .255 against righties and has just a 5-point drop against lefties compared to righties for his career). Ibanez is basically Posada without any of the years of good will with the fans, so there won't be anywhere near the same level of forgiveness from the fans if he struggles. If they're going to sign an aging veteran to a 1-year deal, at least make it one of the 2 guys who have played there before instead of a guy who could be a downgrade from Posada and will be booed relentlessly if he plays the way he did last year. I'll say this much: if George was still alive and in charge, Damon would have already had his introductory press conference.
    igotid88 wrote:
    Yankees in serious talks with Raul Ibañez
  • I wouldn't be surprised if this happens sooner rather than 3 years from now.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Interesting thought on the Eppler promotion. Being set up to take over for Cashman in 3 years. The idea is that Cashman would be promoted to President or something.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/02/the-fu ... ice-63256/
    https://twitter.com/#!/BillHall_III/status/166986219681624064
    @BillHall_III
    Bill Hall
    IT'S OFFICIAL IM A YANKEE!!!!!!!! #IwannaRing!!!!
    I miss igotid88
  • Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees signed Russell Branyan to a minor-league deal. It's a relatively harmless signing unless they wind up deciding to give him a shot at DH instead of signing Damon or Matsui. I highly doubt he'll actually make the team.
  • Branyan's a worthy gamble. probably won't do anything, but he does have 8 HR's in 47 at bats at New yankee Stadium
  • He's already faced AJ 47 times in the new stadium? :)
    Branyan's a worthy gamble. probably won't do anything, but he does have 8 HR's in 47 at bats at New yankee Stadium