The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Newch91 wrote:
    They better win the World Series this year, otherwise I'm going to be very pissed off about them trading away Montero. They wouldn't accept trades that included Montero before, but now they do. Makes no sense to me. This Pineda kid better deliver this year.

Typical Yankees fan. Shakes head.

I am a Yankees fan and you disappoint. Let the kid pitch before preparing to boo him.

It's a great trade. Career dh's suck no matter how good. Especially when Jeets and ARod need the spot. Montero is a total waste on this team. The fact they got quality without giving up any addl quality is a coup. This is not Ken Phelps they got.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Newch91 wrote:
    Jay Buhner called...he was laughing.
    Did someone say Jay Buhner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwSxqnRW-8[/quote]

:lol:

I heard Phelps is Pineda's godfather. :lol:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Newch91 wrote:
    They better win the World Series this year, otherwise I'm going to be very pissed off about them trading away Montero. They wouldn't accept trades that included Montero before, but now they do. Makes no sense to me. This Pineda kid better deliver this year.

But this is the kind of trade you make for Montero, not for older pitchers with less years. This is much much better than a Ubaldo trade for Montero, which is what I can think of them turning down.

5 years of Pineda vs. 6 years of Montero. Dude seems like the real deal, legit numbers. 1.1 whip. A little too much of a fly ball pitcher, but great stuff, rookies don't usually strike that many people out and have that control. Dude has some development to go, but he should be legit.

Honestly, it has nothing to do with the world series next year. This team could have a rotation with 4 very good pitchers in their 20's in a year or so, along with prospects coming up.

I love the way Montero hits, the Yankees obviously only see him as a DH though.
    I guess the Yanks offered Montero, Banuelos, Betances, plus more for Felix. Wow.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    DS1119 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Jay Buhner called...he was laughing.
    Did someone say Jay Buhner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwSxqnRW-8

I heard Phelps is Pineda's godfather. :lol:[/quote]
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I hope this isn't the case since it will mean the yanks failed miserably on joba and hughes but I can see Aj and Freddy battling for the 5th spot and Hughes heading to the bullpen.

Just fucking think, the yanks rotation in 2013 and beyond could be CC and 4 legit pitchers in their 20's. fuck me thats awesome.

Hughes will bounce back this year. He actually had a lot of good starts last year. Just hope his arm is better.
    I miss igotid88
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I love this trade for the yanks
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Damn. You guys just got a stud. Just saw this..... and the amateur remarks on this trade.
    Damn. You guys just got a stud. Just saw this..... and the amateur remarks on this trade.

Can't remember how many "stud" pitchers have come and gone. As a Yankee fan I hope this works out...but I'm not holding my breath. Montero could have gone for some more established pitchers so we will see. We all do remember taht Jaba was a "stud" pitcher right...and we saw what happened to him. Alright, bad example, Hughes was a "stud"...oopps another bad one, ok Wong was a "stud" pitcher, oh never mind I'm getting depressed now. :?
    Newch91 wrote:

I am a Yankees fan and you disappoint. Let the kid pitch before preparing to boo him.

It's a great trade. Career dh's suck no matter how good. Especially when Jeets and ARod need the spot. Montero is a total waste on this team. The fact they got quality without giving up any addl quality is a coup. This is not Ken Phelps they got.
    I have a right to be disappointed.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    DS1119 wrote:

Can't remember how many "stud" pitchers have come and gone. As a Yankee fan I hope this works out...but I'm not holding my breath. Montero could have gone for some more established pitchers so we will see. We all do remember taht Jaba was a "stud" pitcher right...and we saw what happened to him. Alright, bad example, Hughes was a "stud"...oopps another bad one, ok Wong was a "stud" pitcher, oh never mind I'm getting depressed now. :?

I wouldn't put Hughes in the bad category.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I wouldn't put Hughes in the bad category.

Bad example is what I meant with that. The jury is still out with him I guess...but the clock is ticking.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Chicks do dig the long ball. :lol: don't hurt yourself on the way off the bandwagon. (or on the way back on ;) ).
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I'm not sure what to make of yesterday's deals. I'm glad to see Pineda come over but I'm sad to see Montero go. If his call-up last season was an indication of his bat, he's going to be good. Kuroda on a 1-year deal is ok even though I would have preferred Oswalt. As long as he's replacing AJ and not Hughes, then it's a definite upgrade.

I have to wonder what this means for the rotation next year. They've got CC, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova presumably 1-4. That leaves Garcia, Hughes, and AJ battling for the 5th spot. I'd love to see Hughes in that spot, maybe put him 4th and let Nova develop in the 5th spot for another year. It's good to have some backup plans but this could be interesting. Garcia didn't really win the rotation battle with Colon last spring but the team didn't think he'd be as good in relief as Colon. If that's the case, what happens if Hughes out-pitches him in camp this year? Obviously, Hughes has had success in relief but I think it's a mistake to move him back to the bullpen if they ever want him to be a starter again. They don't really need Hughes in the bullpen, even if Chamberlain needs a little extra time to recover from his surgery but having Hughes, Chamberlain, Soriano, Robertson, and Rivera in the bullpen would be an insanely good relief group.
    More established pitchers dont come with 5 years or team control. This kid is good and the only way I see this trade not working out is if he gets injured. This is the kind of trade you make for montero, a young stud pitcher who you are going t have for a long time. I hate to see montero go, but this is a fair trade. Shit, lesser pitchers were traded for 4 top prospects, the Yankees only lost one of their big time prospects. Trades are hard to swallow when they include someone like montero, but Pineda is going to be the real deal.

I could see noesi doing really well out there in the park.

Yanks held onto Sanchez, Williams, betances, banuelos and were able to get the exact type if pitcher they needed. And they got a second big pitching prospect.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am happy. My only concern is can the kid go from pitching in a huge pitchers park like Seattle to the bronze. Will the smaller stadium make him more average and more importantly does he have the mental make up to pitch under the ny lights.
    I hope he will.

As much as I hate losing out on montero you can't dh a 22 year old and with the older bats it will be good to have the db spot open to rest them
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    From Dave Cameron

Among qualified AL starting pitchers last year, only Brandon Morrow and Justin Verlander posted a higher strikeout rate than Pineda, who whiffed 24.9% of the batters he faced. His K% was better than David Price, CC Sabathia, and yes, even Felix. Pineda’s live fastball and willingness to live up in the strike zone led to a lot of swinging strikes, and that had nothing to do with the park he played in.

Lots of young pitchers can throw hard and rack up strikeouts, however. What sets Pineda apart is his impeccable command at such a young age. 66 percent of the pitches he threw last year were strikes, and his 7.9% BB% was below the league average. It is highly uncommon to see a kid with that kind of live arm arrive in the Major Leagues pounding the zone, but that’s exactly what Pineda did. 94-97 MPH fastballs to get ahead, and then an out-pitch slider or a fastball out of the zone with two strikes to get the K. It was a recipe for success, and Pineda used his command of those two pitches to establish himself as one of the game’s best young starting pitchers.

So, while he’s not perfect (his change-up is lousy and left-handers can still jump on him from time to time), Yankees fans should be thrilled with their new addition. And, given the price that other young arms have been fetching this winter, they should be even more thrilled with the cost.

Pineda is the third quality young arm to get traded this winter, following the trades that shipped Gio Gonzalez to Washington and Mat Latos to Cincinnati. Given that both pitchers come with one fewer year of team control and lack Pineda’s dominating fastball, a strong case could be made that the Yankees new starter is the most valuable asset of the three guys that were moved. However, compared to the other two packages surrendered, the Yankees didn’t really pay much of a premium to get Pineda, and one could even make an argument that they gave up less value overall than what the Reds surrendered to get Latos.
    I'm not sure what to make of yesterday's deals. I'm glad to see Pineda come over but I'm sad to see Montero go. If his call-up last season was an indication of his bat, he's going to be good. Kuroda on a 1-year deal is ok even though I would have preferred Oswalt. As long as he's replacing AJ and not Hughes, then it's a definite upgrade.

I have to wonder what this means for the rotation next year. They've got CC, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova presumably 1-4. That leaves Garcia, Hughes, and AJ battling for the 5th spot. I'd love to see Hughes in that spot, maybe put him 4th and let Nova develop in the 5th spot for another year. It's good to have some backup plans but this could be interesting. Garcia didn't really win the rotation battle with Colon last spring but the team didn't think he'd be as good in relief as Colon. If that's the case, what happens if Hughes out-pitches him in camp this year? Obviously, Hughes has had success in relief but I think it's a mistake to move him back to the bullpen if they ever want him to be a starter again. They don't really need Hughes in the bullpen, even if Chamberlain needs a little extra time to recover from his surgery but having Hughes, Chamberlain, Soriano, Robertson, and Rivera in the bullpen would be an insanely good relief group.

Oswalt's back has to be scaring everyone off, seems like teams don't think he can make it through a season. There were rumors here in Philly last year that it was much worse than than was reported.

Garcia on the cheap can be moved, if need be. I do think this means Hughes to relief is most likely the outcome, which I hate. The triple a rotation did just get a little less crowded with Noesi being moved so maybe they will start him out there. I believe he has an option left.
    Newch91 wrote:

Chicks do dig the long ball. :lol: don't hurt yourself on the way off the bandwagon. (or on the way back on ;) ).
    :lol: Is it off the wagon or on the wagon? ;)

Don't worry, I'll still be rooting them on this season. No way I'll be off the bandwagon. I've been on it all my life.
  • Hate to lose Montero but it was only a matter of time with Sanchez our future at catcher and Arod soon to be a full time dh. Campos looks like a good get as well and holding on to the B & B boys we have some serious front line depth in the system.

Its pretty much a lock the first time Pineda gets lit up you can bet you'll see this on the back pages.

aaa7ed77.jpg
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Personally I like this deal. I never saw an everyday spot for Montero in the lineup. The knock on him has always been his defense and the Yanks have much better all around catching prospects to fill in once Martin's deal is up. I don't see Montero being a DH so early in his career and he isn't going to get enough time at first with Tex's gold glove there. So essentially the Yanks traded a part-time player for a legit starting pitcher in Pineda.

When I saw Pineda pitch in the All-Star game last year I was wondering where this kid came from. I figured Seattle would trade King Felix and reap a coup of prospects before trading Pineda. I will be curious to see how he adapts to the Bronx Zoo.

As far as other rumored deals the Yanks dangled Montero in... I like this deal better. Every deal that rumored to include Montero also included too many other prospects. Supposedly NY could have had Cliff Lee in a deal with Seattle, but I'm sure NY would have had to give up a lot more prospects for Lee. The value of this trade was in the Yanks favor for once. NY gets a young power pitcher with great command and strike out ability under their control through 2016. NY gives up a power hitting prospect in return, but offense has never been a problem during the season for the Yanks, starting pitching has.

I'm looking forward to my Spring Training trip even more now! :D
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    Lot of weight and expectations will be on this kid's shoulders. Hope it works but I'm not holding my breath. The way Montero was hyped and even performed last year, the boo birds will be out in full force for this kid in the spring. I could see if he was 22 and came up through the Yankee system, but to be traded for and thrown into the fire...not so sure. :?
    Talks about booing a 23 year old stud before he steps foot in Yankee stadium...wonderful.

This team is good. I can't fucking wait for baseball.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Talks about booing a 23 year old stud before he steps foot in Yankee stadium...wonderful.

I've actually never booed a Yankee in my life but you and I have been to the Stadium enough to know it happens. This kid is going to have alot of pressure on him. I WANT him to succeed, I do. 28 career starts and to be honest a lot of people are already annointing the kid as the second coming of Cy Young to MLB. I saw it in this thread already. A lot of people hadn't even heard of him...then looked at his stat line and proclaim what a great trade it is.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I've actually never booed a Yankee in my life but you and I have been to the Stadium enough to know it happens. This kid is going to have alot of pressure on him. I WANT him to succeed, I do. 28 career starts and to be honest a lot of people are already annointing the kid as the second coming of Cy Young to MLB. I saw it in this thread already. A lot of people hadn't even heard of him...then looked at his stat line and proclaim what a great trade it is.

Yeah, I hear you on that. It won't be easy but I think he'll be fine. It may take a year or two to develop into the pitcher many are expecting but the kid is good. Being traded for a fan favorite definitely does put more pressure on him but if his personality is in line with the way he pitches, he'll be fine in New York.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I hear you on that. It won't be easy but I think he'll be fine. It may take a year or two to develop into the pitcher many are expecting but the kid is good. Being traded for a fan favorite definitely does put more pressure on him but if his personality is in line with the way he pitches, he'll be fine in New York.

I hope so. :thumbup:
    Trumbo rumors with Robertson's name coming up. I don't like it. Just sign Pena if that's what youre looking for
  • Newch91 wrote:
    :lol: Is it off the wagon or on the wagon? ;)

Don't worry, I'll still be rooting them on this season. No way I'll be off the bandwagon. I've been on it all my life.

I don't know, George, but I hope they keep our reservation for the World Series. Because after all, HOLDING the reservation is the point of a reservation.

Monteros are a dime a dozen. If he could catch (or play any position for that matter) it's a different story. But he's a career dh, so his upside is limited. Stats will look great, but Yankees already score plenty of runs.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Trumbo rumors with Robertson's name coming up. I don't like it. Just sign Pena if that's what youre looking for
    Yeah, can't see them giving up Robertson for anyone other than a star. He could very well replace Rivera whenever he retires.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    If there are rumors of Robertson for Trumbo, I'd bet they were started on the West Coast. That deal would heavily favor the Angels. Robertson would be their closer and they'd be unloading a spare part since 1B is filled by Pujols and they just re-signed Morales so I'm guessing they expect him to finally be able to play again (and they'll probably stubbornly keep sending Abreu out there as the DH if Morales isn't ready to start the year). Even if Hughes goes back to the bullpen this year there's no guarantee that Chamberlain will be 100% right away so there's no sense in the Yankees trading away one of their best relievers for a DH when he won't even be in the lineup every day. I'd rather see them sign Damon or Pena to a 1-year deal (preferably Damon since he's had success in NY and can hit better than .230).