The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Trumbo rumors with Robertson's name coming up. I don't like it. Just sign Pena if that's what youre looking for

As much as i would hate to lose DRob i would do this trade in a heartbeat however this rumor seems like total internet bs not sure why people are putting any stock in it.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Trumbo rumors with Robertson's name coming up. I don't like it. Just sign Pena if that's what youre looking for

Agree 100%. Trumbo is massively overrated.
    If there are rumors of Robertson for Trumbo, I'd bet they were started on the West Coast. That deal would heavily favor the Angels. Robertson would be their closer and they'd be unloading a spare part since 1B is filled by Pujols and they just re-signed Morales so I'm guessing they expect him to finally be able to play again (and they'll probably stubbornly keep sending Abreu out there as the DH if Morales isn't ready to start the year). Even if Hughes goes back to the bullpen this year there's no guarantee that Chamberlain will be 100% right away so there's no sense in the Yankees trading away one of their best relievers for a DH when he won't even be in the lineup every day. I'd rather see them sign Damon or Pena to a 1-year deal (preferably Damon since he's had success in NY and can hit better than .230).

You can live with Pena's .230 if he posts a .360 OBP. Hell, that's 70 points on Trumbo.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Oh, I'd take Pena over Trumbo in a heartbeat. There's no reason for the team to trade any of its relievers for a DH who will probably only get to start about 120 to 130 games. I'd still prefer Damon, though. He can play the outfiled or 1B if they really need him to and he strikes out much less than Pena. Considering that Tex seems to be morphing into a .250 hitter, they don't need another slugger who hits for a low average if they can find a better option. Damon usually has a similar OBP as Pena, plus he can steal bases and has proven he can handle the NY media and pressure as well as anybody. I'm not really sure how Pena would handle being booed because he's hitting .220 with 1.1 K/game. He's also just 1 year removed from hitting under .200 playing in the AL East, so that scares me a little.
    pjl44 wrote:
    If there are rumors of Robertson for Trumbo, I'd bet they were started on the West Coast. That deal would heavily favor the Angels. Robertson would be their closer and they'd be unloading a spare part since 1B is filled by Pujols and they just re-signed Morales so I'm guessing they expect him to finally be able to play again (and they'll probably stubbornly keep sending Abreu out there as the DH if Morales isn't ready to start the year). Even if Hughes goes back to the bullpen this year there's no guarantee that Chamberlain will be 100% right away so there's no sense in the Yankees trading away one of their best relievers for a DH when he won't even be in the lineup every day. I'd rather see them sign Damon or Pena to a 1-year deal (preferably Damon since he's had success in NY and can hit better than .230).

You can live with Pena's .230 if he posts a .360 OBP. Hell, that's 70 points on Trumbo.
    Oh, I'd take Pena over Trumbo in a heartbeat. There's no reason for the team to trade any of its relievers for a DH who will probably only get to start about 120 to 130 games. I'd still prefer Damon, though. He can play the outfiled or 1B if they really need him to and he strikes out much less than Pena. Considering that Tex seems to be morphing into a .250 hitter, they don't need another slugger who hits for a low average if they can find a better option. Damon usually has a similar OBP as Pena, plus he can steal bases and has proven he can handle the NY media and pressure as well as anybody. I'm not really sure how Pena would handle being booed because he's hitting .220 with 1.1 K/game. He's also just 1 year removed from hitting under .200 playing in the AL East, so that scares me a little.
    pjl44 wrote:

Lots of good points in there. And the point you made on Teixeira can be applied to Granderson and ARod, too. When you step back and look at the middle of their lineup, it's plus power with average hit. Against good pitching, you're prone to the sort of systematic slumps like what happened against Detroit in the playoffs. Just get to October and hope for the best, I guess.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

As much as i would hate to lose DRob i would do this trade in a heartbeat however this rumor seems like total internet bs not sure why people are putting any stock in it.

99 out of 100 times, I would agree with you. Trading a reliever for 5 years for a hitter with power is something I would do almost every time. Not for Trumbo though, I can't get past a sub .300 OBP.
    pjl44 wrote:

Lots of good points in there. And the point you made on Teixeira can be applied to Granderson and ARod, too. When you step back and look at the middle of their lineup, it's plus power with average hit. Against good pitching, you're prone to the sort of systematic slumps like what happened against Detroit in the playoffs. Just get to October and hope for the best, I guess.

I'd prefer Pena or Damon to Trumbo. It's only money for those two.

A healthy Arod and a bounce back from Tex, and this team could be really really dangerous with the moves they made.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    I wouldn't say A-Rod is a .250 hitter
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:

Wait, did you mean to say a $25 million hitter? :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    igotid88 wrote:

True, .270. But my larger point is that .269 is the 50th percentile in MLB and the middle of their order is average to below-average in that regard.
    pjl44 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

True, .270. But my larger point is that .269 is the 50th percentile in MLB and the middle of their order is average to below-average in that regard.

If he misses a lot of games again. But if he's healthy for most of the year i can see him hitting .290
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

If he misses a lot of games again. But if he's healthy for most of the year i can see him hitting .290

Last three years were .276, .270, and .286. Not saying he doesn't have it in him, but going forward I'd bet the under on .290.
    Yea like i said if he's healthy. He hasn't played a full season in awhile.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Yea like i said if he's healthy. He hasn't played a full season in awhile.

At least they only owe him another 6/143. Ugh.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I read a rumor of Matsui possibly coming back.
    Hughes signed for 1 year deal. I hope they don't give up on him if he has a bad spring training. You wouldn't think so since he's the youngest of him, AJ, and Freddy. And has more upside.
    I miss igotid88
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I read the same thing. I think I'd rather see Damon come back to NY because he can still run balls down in the OF if they really need him to play the field once in a while but Matsui could be a good option if that doesn't work. His numbers were down last year but I wonder how much of that was due to playing in Oakland as opposed to age. He hit 31 points higher on the road than at home (.267 vs .236) and homered twice as often (ever 32.3 AB on the road vs. every 64.8 AB at home), so playing half his games in Yankee Stadium could bring him closer to his 2009-2010 production than his 2011 numbers.
    DS1119 wrote:
    I read a rumor of Matsui possibly coming back.
    Bruce at Yankee stadium this year? Their release about Roger Waters said another very big announcment will be coming soon. I would think it has to be.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bruce at Yankee stadium this year? Their release about Roger Waters said another very big announcment will be coming soon. I would think it has to be.
    That would be sick. It would be either before or after Europe. I can see during one of the Yankees' early season road trips.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That would be sick. It would be either before or after Europe. I can see during one of the Yankees' early season road trips.

The speculation I have seen has during the early September road trip.

Also sounds like there will be other sporting events there this summer. There is absoulutely no chance of this happening but a man can dream about a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight at Yankees stadium. Jesus, that would be the greatest thing ever.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Ok ... as stated in the Sox thread, I'm not even paying attention to baseball just yet (not like the Sox have done anything positive to get me revved up) ... but I *just* noticed the Yankees picked up both Pineda and Kuroda?

Damn, Pineda's gonna be a beast.

Kuroda has been a long standing bargain on my fantasy team ... so, I've got a soft spot for him.

Well played Mr. Cashman ... tip o' the cap to you.

... and yeah, I know this may be a week after the fact ... but, consider it a chance to gloat again.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The speculation I have seen has during the early September road trip.

Also sounds like there will be other sporting events there this summer. There is absoulutely no chance of this happening but a man can dream about a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight at Yankees stadium. Jesus, that would be the greatest thing ever.
    That would make more sense since it would be warmer in early September. Did he ever play the old stadium?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    jimed14 wrote:
    Ok ... as stated in the Sox thread, I'm not even paying attention to baseball just yet (not like the Sox have done anything positive to get me revved up) ... but I *just* noticed the Yankees picked up both Pineda and Kuroda?

Damn, Pineda's gonna be a beast.

Kuroda has been a long standing bargain on my fantasy team ... so, I've got a soft spot for him.

Well played Mr. Cashman ... tip o' the cap to you.

... and yeah, I know this may be a week after the fact ... but, consider it a chance to gloat again.

Yessir, it was not a bad Friday night in Yankeeland when that went down. It hurts losing Montero, it's insane how attached we are to the kid considering he had a total of 69 big league at bats, but that is the kind of pitcher you trade him for. I have really high hopes for Pineda. I agree, he's going to be good. Kuroda is about as consistent as it gets. The Yankees went from having a weak rotation to having one of the best. To go along with a very good bullpen and good lineup, I cant wait for this season.

Best team in the AL on paper, we all know who that team was last year though and how that worked out so we'll see. I really like where this team is at right now though.
    Newch91 wrote:
    That would make more sense since it would be warmer in early September. Did he ever play the old stadium?

No clue
    Gardner finally got himself a decent payday. $2.8 million. Well deserved. :thumbup: :clap:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    cliffy i will follow your beliefs in this thread

this kid has never felt pressure yet ,so i'am always concerned about that

jesus is gonna put up big batting numbers for many years...as long as he stays in AL

big gamble

but we need the DH slot for our aging guys so i understand
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jesus is gonna put up big batting numbers for many years...as long as he stays in AL

Might want to temper those expectations now that he's playing his home games at Safeco, which *kills* right handed power numbers.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    cliffy i will follow your beliefs in this thread

this kid has never felt pressure yet ,so i'am always concerned about that

big gamble

but we need the DH slot for our aging guys so i understand

I hear you man. It's definitely a gamble, but one I think they had to make. You know how much I liked Montero but I am happy with the trade as of now. I think Pineda is going to be good. Hitters can be replaced, as much fun as it would have been to watch Montero hit in Yankee stadium for lots of years, pitching is a much bigger need.

First comments from Pineda

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... bled=false
    jimed14 wrote:

Might want to temper those expectations now that he's playing his home games at Safeco, which *kills* right handed power numbers.

Yeah, at least Montero has some serious opposite field power though as we saw at the end of last season.
    Posada to officially announce retirement tomorrow.
    I miss igotid88