The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    And one other thing. CC stayed true to his word (for an extra $30 mil) and the Yankees took care of this quickly and cleanly. Plenty of time to get to work on the other issues and not let this drag out. Darvish is number one on my list now that Wilson completely shit the bed in the playoffs.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,795
    what if he wasn't going to opt out and they offered him that money for nothing.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:

He was opting out if they didn't get something done. It made zero sense not to.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Wow. Great news. I am pretty shocked at this. Sounds like a fair deal all around. Well done to both sides.

So this is essentially only a 1 year extension and possibly 2? I am even more suprised, he definitely could have got a guaranteed 6 year deal on the market.

HE DID THE RIGHT THING...MEGA props
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Wow. Great news. I am pretty shocked at this. Sounds like a fair deal all around. Well done to both sides.

So this is essentially only a 1 year extension and possibly 2? I am even more suprised, he definitely could have got a guaranteed 6 year deal on the market.

HE DID THE RIGHT THING...MEGA props

He definitely did. He kept his word and the Yankees took care of him. He could have squeezed the Yankees for something absurd if he wanted to. Granted he is getting paid a shit load but if he dragged it out, he could have EASILY gotten 6 years, even though he pretty much did
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And one other thing. CC stayed true to his word (for an extra $30 mil) and the Yankees took care of this quickly and cleanly. Plenty of time to get to work on the other issues and not let this drag out. Darvish is number one on my list now that Wilson completely shit the bed in the playoffs.

I kind of like Mark Buehrle more than any of the other pitchers sitting out there now.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,795
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

I know I was just thinking out loud in print on a message board
    I miss igotid88
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I kind of like Mark Buehrle more than any of the other pitchers sitting out there now.

Yeah, I like him too and have always thought he would be a good pick up. He is just another softer tosser and that makes me a little nervous. Buehrle would be a good pick up in that he wouldn't be a very big contract and wouldn't have too much of an impact on the big free agent class coming up.
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

I hear you. I just don't see any scenario where he wasn't going to get paid more. Just glad this was handled so well, not used to that with the Yankees
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

lay off the ganja ;):lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cashman signed for 3 more years. Damn, I am not used to this type of drama free offseason. Not too many holes to fill. Just have to figure out another starter or two and the bench and the Yanks are essentially set.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cashman signed for 3 more years. Damn, I am not used to this type of drama free offseason. Not too many holes to fill. Just have to figure out another starter or two and the bench and the Yanks are essentially set.

He's one of three Yankee GMs to last at least a decade.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • I read today that the only GM in team history to last longer than him was Ed Barrow from 1920-1945. That's a long-ass time to be the GM. I can see Cashman matching that, though, as long as the team doesn't miss the playoffs in consecutive years.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's crazy. Some of the numbers the Yankees had in that press release are pretty damn impressive.
  • Sabathia's contract extension done deal- 1-year, $25 m. for 2016, and a $5 million buyout in 2017. Total guaranteed, five years, $122 m with $25m option for '17

CC via Twitter

"Yankee fans, I'll be here fighting for number 28 next year,"

Good deal for the Yanks :D

Maybe Jimmy Rollins will tweet: "I'm coming back for #3 Phillies fans!" :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you guys really think that's a good deal? ... i think CC is on his downside ... i would have let him opt out and taken the draft picks then signed darvish and trade for some young arm ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    you guys really think that's a good deal? ... i think CC is on his downside ... i would have let him opt out and taken the draft picks then signed darvish and trade for some young arm ...

I think the thing is they are kind of fucked without him. He is still a solid pitcher and a horse. I never thought he was all that great.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    polaris_x wrote:

This is nonsense. Trade top prospects for a young arm and sign an unkown and have the Yankees go into 2012 with a rotation of Darvish/Some Young Arm (Gio Gonzalez)/Nova/Huges/AJ? Yeeeaaah, not happening. We're talking about the Yankees, not the Rays.

CC had a bad month and people think he's going downhill. Dude has pitched 705 innings to a 3.18 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP over the past 3 years in the AL East.

CC would have easily got a 6 year contract on the open market and possibly a 7th year. If they were willing to go 6 or 7 years with Lee, who was a year older at the time, then there is no reason not to give CC the same amount of years.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is nonsense. Trade top prospects for a young arm and sign an unkown and have the Yankees go into 2012 with a rotation of Darvish/Some Young Arm (Gio Gonzalez)/Nova/Huges/AJ? Yeeeaaah, not happening. We're talking about the Yankees, not the Rays.

CC had a bad month and people think he's going downhill. Dude has pitched 705 innings to a 3.18 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP over the past 3 years in the AL East.

CC would have easily got a 6 year contract on the open market and possibly a 7th year. If they were willing to go 6 or 7 years with Lee, who was a year older at the time, then there is no reason not to give CC the same amount of years.

CC is like the highest paid pitcher in baseball ... he's had like 1 year when his era has been below 3 ... ya - he's a horse (fields like one too) ... but is he worth that kind of money for the next 6 years? ... he's gonna be like 32 next year ... not old by any stretch but he's not a control pitcher like maddux - he relies on that fastball to set up his out pitches ...

having said that - i do get the fact this is the yankees and really payroll is inconsequential ... and that you do need a veteran starter in the rotation ... i suppose i'm looking at this more from a point on whether he is worth that kind of money ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    CC is like the highest paid pitcher in baseball ... he's had like 1 year when his era has been below 3 ... ya - he's a horse (fields like one too) ... but is he worth that kind of money for the next 6 years? ... he's gonna be like 32 next year ... not old by any stretch but he's not a control pitcher like maddux - he relies on that fastball to set up his out pitches ...

having said that - i do get the fact this is the yankees and really payroll is inconsequential ... and that you do need a veteran starter in the rotation ... i suppose i'm looking at this more from a point on whether he is worth that kind of money ...

Apparently, we disagree on EVERYTHING....

No - he is not worth that kind of money over the next 6 years. But, he is worth that kind of money over the next 3 (at least) and the rest will be gravy.

Saying he hasn't had an ERA under 3 is silly. He was the Cy Young last year (2010) without a doubt. Why do you think Felix doesn't want to be traded from Seattle? You think he wants to face Toronto, Boston et. al that many times as opposed to Oakland? Must be nice pitching to 3 man lineups (other than Texas) the majority of your games.

Plus, he never misses a start. If you think it's easy to win an average of 20 games a year with the Yankees (59 over 3 years), then why hasn't anyone else done that in the modern era?

There is no other pitcher in the majors I'd rather have in NY other than maybe Halladay. It's not just being a good pitcher. IT's putting up with everything else and thriving.

So, this was a no brainer signing for both sides.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't see how he isn't worth that money to the Yanks. In 2016/17 is he going to pitch like he did the past 3 years? Probably not, but the Yanks know that and they are paying him for the next 4 years and giving him security. Like I said, I don't think he would have had a problem at all getting a 6 or possibly 7 year deal on the open market.

I think it's a great deal for both sides.

No - he is not worth that kind of money over the next 6 years. But, he is worth that kind of money over the next 3 (at least) and the rest will be gravy.

Saying he hasn't had an ERA under 3 is silly. He was the Cy Young last year (2010) without a doubt. Why do you think Felix doesn't want to be traded from Seattle? You think he wants to face Toronto, Boston et. al that many times as opposed to Oakland? Must be nice pitching to 3 man lineups (other than Texas) the majority of your games.

Plus, he never misses a start. If you think it's easy to win an average of 20 games a year with the Yankees (59 over 3 years), then why hasn't anyone else done that in the modern era?

There is no other pitcher in the majors I'd rather have in NY other than maybe Halladay. It's not just being a good pitcher. IT's putting up with everything else and thriving.

well ... he didn't win the cy young last year ... i already said, he has been durable ...

yeah - i betcha if you took CC's era against the Toronto, Boston and Tampa ... it'd be over 4 ...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't see how he isn't worth that money to the Yanks. In 2016/17 is he going to pitch like he did the past 3 years? Probably not, but the Yanks know that and they are paying him for the next 4 years and giving him security. Like I said, I don't think he would have had a problem at all getting a 6 or possibly 7 year deal on the open market.

I think it's a great deal for both sides.

hard to say ... how many teams can afford to sink $150 million in the next 6 years? ... and give up major draft picks? ... there are only a few teams ...

but again - you are right in that money is not really an issue for the yanks so in that regard, it's really just a matter of having him in your lineup ...
  • He's been one of the (if not THE) most consistently excellent pitchers in baseball over the last 5-6 years. He not only hasn't had a bad year in that span, he's been among the best pitchers in baseball every one of those years. Cliff Lee got a similar contract based on 1 Cy Young season and the false belief that he's a postseason deity (based on his performance against the Yankees--and he still doesn't have a World Series ring) despite being 2 years older than CC and a less-consistent track record.

I don't even understand how you can suggest letting a guy who is having a run of success that's putting him into Hall of Fame status and sign an unproven Japanese pitcher. Are you familiar with the history of Japanese pitchers in Major Leage Baseball? It has never been a story that ends well no matter how well it begins.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    cc-sabathia-autographed-signed-2009-ws-baseball-mlb-cecc0.jpg

bilde?Site=C4&Date=20091105&Category=BLOG36&ArtNo=91105022&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Did-Yankees-buy-World-Series-
    He's been one of the (if not THE) most consistently excellent pitchers in baseball over the last 5-6 years. He not only hasn't had a bad year in that span, he's been among the best pitchers in baseball every one of those years. Cliff Lee got a similar contract based on 1 Cy Young season and the false belief that he's a postseason deity (based on his performance against the Yankees--and he still doesn't have a World Series ring) despite being 2 years older than CC and a less-consistent track record.

I don't even understand how you can suggest letting a guy who is having a run of success that's putting him into Hall of Fame status and sign an unproven Japanese pitcher. Are you familiar with the history of Japanese pitchers in Major Leage Baseball? It has never been a story that ends well no matter how well it begins.

I agree with you on CC but I think Darvish should be on the Yankees list and they should take a serious run at him. I know it has been said many times, but he seems to be the real deal and will take a lower contract than Wilson, who I don't want the Yankees going near.

Cashman said today that they are better prepared now to scout Japanese players than they were in the past so I would imagine they know what they think about him and whether they are going to make a run at him. From what I read and his age, I think he could be a good pickup, with much less risk than Wilson.
  • You would be wrong. It was high against Boston this year, but his ERA against Tampa was 2.51 and against Toronto it was 3.30. Also, from 2009-2010, he was 4-2 with a 3.04 ERA against Boston.
    polaris_x wrote:

well ... he didn't win the cy young last year ... i already said, he has been durable ...

yeah - i betcha if you took CC's era against the Toronto, Boston and Tampa ... it'd be over 4 ...
    You would be wrong. It was high against Boston this year, but his ERA against Tampa was 2.51 and against Toronto it was 3.30. Also, from 2009-2010, he was 4-2 with a 3.04 ERA against Boston.

what is his era combined against tampa, boston and toronto? ... my claim was for those 3 teams combined based on what Edson said ...
  • I have no idea. I didn't sit there and do the math, I looked up his 2011 stats and found the breakdowns. If you want to know his ERA vs the AL East, I can tell you it was 3.70 but that includes Baltimore and you don't want to include them for some reason even though they're in the division.
    polaris_x wrote:
    You would be wrong. It was high against Boston this year, but his ERA against Tampa was 2.51 and against Toronto it was 3.30. Also, from 2009-2010, he was 4-2 with a 3.04 ERA against Boston.

what is his era combined against tampa, boston and toronto? ... my claim was for those 3 teams combined based on what Edson said ...
  • I'm having trouble following the argument.

I understand why the Yanks wanted to keep CC. He's perfect for them. He's not gonna twirl shutouts, but they don't need him to. He's the 7-8 inning, 2-4 run guy, and that's usually good for a win with that offense. I mean, he's a really good pitcher, but I don't think he's great. And he wouldn't be worth that money for any other team. But if you've got it, you might as well spend it I guess.