The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Yankees did pay way to much for Soriano but the dude had better numbers than Mo last year. If he has a great year, there's a good chance he opts out and the Yanks get that pick back.

Plus as BinuralJam said, they have the money to spend.

he wasn't that much better than Mo. And it's a 40 year old vs a 31 year old.

I am not criticizing Mo, their numbers were basically identical. Point is, the Yanks now have possibly the 2 best closers in the game in their bullpen. Plus as you said, Mo is 40, so it can't hurt to have some insurance, even though the dude is Superman. It's just a lot of money to pay a reliver not named Rivera. Like I said, I am fine with it. They clearly have the money and Cashman obviously knows their budget better than we do.

i know you weren't
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Here is a question. What type of pitcher does a package starting with Joba/Romine get the Yanks? I am sure they won't be able to do this before the season but I would imagine those two plus someone else may get a pretty damn good pitcher. Romine needs to hit a bit more but he is a solid prospect. If you add Banuelos/Becantes to that package you are looking at pretty big deal.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Here is a question. What type of pitcher does a package starting with Joba/Romine get the Yanks? I am sure they won't be able to do this before the season but I would imagine those two plus someone else may get a pretty damn good pitcher. Romine needs to hit a bit more but he is a solid prospect. If you add Banuelos/Becantes to that package you are looking at pretty big deal.

I'm sure alderson would take offers for santana
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I am sure he would. Lots of years and money left though so he definitely has to get healthy first. No way in hellI give that package up for Santana at this point.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I am sure he would. Lots of years and money left though so he definitely has to get healthy first. No way in hellI give that package up for Santana at this point.

yeah, I was just throwing it out there. that was the best I could come up with off the top of my head.

If they have extra cash laying around it might be a good time to throw some extra loot at CC. squash that loophole in his contract before it becomes any type of story during the season (I know he's said he won't opt out, but you know how that goes).
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, I was just throwing it out there. that was the best I could come up with off the top of my head.

If they have extra cash laying around it might be a good time to throw some extra loot at CC. squash that loophole in his contract before it becomes any type of story during the season (I know he's said he won't opt out, but you know how that goes).

Yeah, I will have to think about it. I am sure there will be pitchers availalbe during the season. I actually like where the Yankees are at right now. I just pray they give Joba a shot at starting. It's the only place on the team he offers any value.

Yeah, I hear that. I doubt he will opt out but I can almost promise he will ask for another year or so. I am certain they will figure it out though. He's not going anywhere.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I will have to think about it. I am sure there will be pitchers availalbe during the season. I actually like where the Yankees are at right now. I just pray they give Joba a shot at starting. It's the only place on the team he offers any value.

Yeah, I hear that. I doubt he will opt out but I can almost promise he will ask for another year or so. I am certain they will figure it out though. He's not going anywhere.

That joba stuff you bring up makes a lot of sense. If he's moving to the rotation they need to get him on the treadmill ASAP.

there will definitely be guys available during the year. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like chris carpenter be one of those guys. I think the cards are gonna suck.

If I'm CC's agent, I'm planting seeds with cashman. Considering what their rotation looks like, he will have the yanks by the balls.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

That joba stuff you bring up makes a lot of sense. If he's moving to the rotation they need to get him on the treadmill ASAP.

there will definitely be guys available during the year. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like chris carpenter be one of those guys. I think the cards are gonna suck.

If I'm CC's agent, I'm planting seeds with cashman. Considering what their rotation looks like, he will have the yanks by the balls.

Yeah, I don't see it happening though. Yanks have handled him horrible.

I can get on board with someone like Carpenter. He has had some pretty serious health issues too, right?

I hear you. I bet he gets another year or two added. He is going to be younger than Cliff Lee was this offseason. I honestly don't see this turning into a bad situation.
    Sounds like this signing went above Cashman which would make sense since he said he wouldn't lose the pick for Soriano.
  • Lose a high draft pick AND pay that ridiculous amount of money for a set up guy....I know money isn't an issue with the Yanks, but that is fucking insane.
    Lose a high draft pick AND pay that ridiculous amount of money for a set up guy....I know money isn't an issue with the Yanks, but that is fucking insane.

The thing is, he is only a set up guy on the Yanks. He is a closer and being paid like a closer, one of the best in teh league at that, which he is. Yes, it is a steep price but they have the money, with lots to spare for pitching and an outifeld bat.
    And here we go. Yanks are willing to trade Joba in a package for a starter but it would have to be a bigger package for a legit stater. Good news. Start this package with Joba and Romine and see what you can get.

This not signing Cliff Lee thing for 7 years may end up just fine (as much as I really wanted him on the Yanks)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,979
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And here we go. Yanks are willing to trade Joba in a package for a starter but it would have to be a bigger package for a legit stater. Good news. Start this package with Joba and Romine and see what you can get.

This not signing Cliff Lee thing for 7 years may end up just fine (as much as I really wanted him on the Yanks)

Who are the candidates they may be going after? Say Cole Hamels and I'll rip your balls off.
    Thank fucking god for the Yankees facial hair policy....

ept_sports_mlb_experts-82296933-1295023855.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Who are the candidates they may be going after? Say Cole Hamels and I'll rip your balls off.

hahahaha, beats the hell of out of me. Not many teams are willing to sell at this point so we will see. I am not sure they will get anything done before the season but I like the sound of this. Getting a legit starter at this point will take some serious selling on Cashmans part.

Edit: I just hope if he starts the season with the Yanks, it's as a starter.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cole Hamels........
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cole Hamels........

....sonofabitch...
  • ....sonofabitch...[/quote]

Nova and Mitre for Hamels, let's get it done.........
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024

Nova and Mitre for Hamels, let's get it done.........

and both of your testicles...

• Nova and Mitre for Hamels, let's get it done.........

and both of your testicles...

Ha, I couldn't even propose that trade in a video game.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    Thames signed with the Dodgers. What an awesome year he had last year. Wish they could have brought him back but there is no way he can do that again. Your turn Andruw Jones...
    Hughes, Joba and Boone Logan signed for 1 year to avoid arbitration.
    I miss igotid88
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    YANKEES CONSIDERED CARL PAVANO
    The Yankees paid Carl Pavano $39.95MM from 2005-08 and got 26 total appearances from the right-hander, who made annual trips to the 60-day DL. But Pavano's first stint in New York didn't stop the team from considering him this offseason. GM Brian Cashman told reporters, including Peter Botte of the New York Daily News, that the club had "several discussions" with agent Tom O'Connell, who represents the 35-year-old

Seriously? My heart skilled a beat when i saw the headline.
    As for those several discussions did they start with "so how about working for free for a year or two after all we paid him for to sit around and do jack shit?"
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Yeah, you can try to look at it from an unbiased perspective, but there's too much bad blood there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Thames signed with the Dodgers. What an awesome year he had last year. Wish they could have brought him back but there is no way he can do that again. Your turn Andruw Jones...
    That's unfortunate, Thames was pretty damn clutch.
    Sooo....Marchand made a good point. Cashman approved of a Pavano deal but didn't approve of the Soriano deal :oops: :oops: :oops:

I would have made my way up to Yankee stadium every 5 days, bought $1,200 tickets behind the dugout and screamed in Pavanos face for 7 straight months had the Yankees signed him.
    tcaporale wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That's unfortunate, Thames was pretty damn clutch.

Sad to see Thames go. I really wish he got a ring. One of my favorite part time players in a long time. That bomb off papelbon was fucking awesome.
    Andruw Jones a Yankee
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Andruw Jones a Yankee

good move. Has been inevetible for weeks. Dude gets on base, has power, can hit lefties and can play the field...done.
    And if it were 2003 the yanks would be unreal...jones, prior, arod...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And if it were 2003 the yanks would be unreal...jones, prior, arod...

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnvG8x5Uan8
    8-)