The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    The Fixer wrote:
    keith law compared montero to frank thomas. if I was a yanks fan, that's a pretty good reason to justify keeping him (assuming they agree with that premise)

everyone is going crazy for the red sox. they certainly had a solid offseason with the gonzalez/crawford moves...but they still have questions in their rotation too (beckett, lackey, dice-k)

Yeah, it seems like the Yankees are as high on Montero right now as they ever have been. Dave Cameron from FanGraphs wrote the other day that his inability to catch is one of the most overblown beliefs in baseball and that he will be a fine catcher.

Yeah, Bostons problem last year was not their offense. Sure it will be a great offense but they need their pitching to bounce back.
    So.... Johnny Damon. Not sure how this works
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So.... Johnny Damon. Not sure how this works

got him back?

cant hurt?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    [quote="neilybabes86"

got him back?

cant hurt?[/quote]

both parties are interested but he might be looking for more playing time. I bet I happens
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    [quote="neilybabes86"

got him back?

cant hurt?

both parties are interested but he might be looking for more playing time. I bet I happens[/quote]

got the money obviously.. interesting

he can just around the bases on the phillies :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    wow, this could be an underrated story this season.

CC Sabathia's out clause. Sabathia has the contractual right to void the rest of his deal at the end of this season, and he has stated repeatedly that he has no intention of exercising this right. But remember, Sabathia -- who is two years younger than Lee -- could have extraordinary leverage if he remains healthy all season, because he could become a free agent again, and the Yankees could lose their ace, theoretically. Could Sabathia seek an extension? Will the Yankees tack on a year or two, or a little extra money per year? Or would Sabathia opt out of his deal and again become the most coveted free-agent pitcher?
    The Fixer wrote:

CC Sabathia's out clause. Sabathia has the contractual right to void the rest of his deal at the end of this season, and he has stated repeatedly that he has no intention of exercising this right. But remember, Sabathia -- who is two years younger than Lee -- could have extraordinary leverage if he remains healthy all season, because he could become a free agent again, and the Yankees could lose their ace, theoretically. Could Sabathia seek an extension? Will the Yankees tack on a year or two, or a little extra money per year? Or would Sabathia opt out of his deal and again become the most coveted free-agent pitcher?

He has said a bunch of times that he is no opting out and that he only wanted it in case he wasn't happy in New York. He said he moved his family there and that it's now their home. That said, I think it would be silly for him to not try and get an extra year or two and if I were the Yankees, I would give it to him.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,563
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

He has said a bunch of times that he is no opting out and that he only wanted it in case he wasn't happy in New York. He said he moved his family there and that it's now their home. That said, I think it would be silly for him to not try and get an extra year or two and if I were the Yankees, I would give it to him.

i heard he wants to take his talents to south philadelphia next year. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ya, got 200 million lying around?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,979
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

ya, got 200 million lying around?

Apparently that amount wasn't needed the first time around... ;)
  • i heard he wants to take his talents to south philadelphia next year. :mrgreen:

He just doesn't do it for me. I can't get over the Brett Myers walk & Victorino grand slam. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Vlad Yes/No? one year, lots of $$$ to get him to come. Never know who's gona get hurt.
    Vlad Yes/No? one year, lots of $$$ to get him to come. Never know who's gona get hurt.

Don't see it, DH is already clogged up.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    I guess they're looking at andruw jones as a 4th OF.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    I guess they're looking at andruw jones as a 4th OF.

That would be a great option to fill the Thames role, just don't know if they can get him as many at bats as he would like.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Imagine if Pryor does great in the minors, gets called up, and has a resurgence in his career and dominates in the majors.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    They need to sign rafael soriano.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    They need to sign rafael soriano.

Would love it but a couple things to consider. Is he willing to pitch the 8th inning and is it worth giving up a draft pick for a reliever? I bet if Pettitte retires they make a strong push for Soriano.
    Mattingly received more votes than Tino Martinez.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Mattingly received more votes than Tino Martinez.

:D:D:D
    So I guess Soriano says the Yankees are the only team he would set up for and the sides have been in contact. Not sure how I feel about losing a first round pick for a reliever or giving a mulit year contract to a reliever but if you are going to have a rough staff, a bullpen with Joba, Robertson, Feliciano, Soriano and Mo is a good thing. I could be convinced this is a good idea if it were to happen.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So I guess Soriano says the Yankees are the only team he would set up for and the sides have been in contact. Not sure how I feel about losing a first round pick for a reliever or giving a mulit year contract to a reliever but if you are going to have a rough staff, a bullpen with Joba, Robertson, Feliciano, Soriano and Mo is a good thing. I could be convinced this is a good idea if it were to happen.

Sounds like it would help fill the void of Kerry Wood.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sounds like it would help fill the void of Kerry Wood.

For sure, and you can certaintly bank on him being better than Kerry Wood over a full season.

Edit: Damn, dude has basically identical numbers to Mo last year.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Doesn't look like the Yanks are going to get Soriano after all, as Cashman is unwilling to give up their #1 draft choice.
    tcaporale wrote:
    Doesn't look like the Yanks are going to get Soriano after all, as Cashman is unwilling to give up their #1 draft choice.

Would give them a lock down bullpen but 2-3 years of good money and losing a draft pick is a lot to lose for a reliever. Like I said, I could have gone either way with this.

Heyman (Boras talking head) says the Yanks are talking with Jones, I would love this, especially since he can play defense, in case Gardners wrist doesn't hold up. But since it's from Heyman and Jones is a Boras client, take it with a grain of salt.
    Pettitte won't be starting the season according to reports.
    I miss igotid88
    Brian Cashman says "it's a misunderstanding" He never said start. Nothing has changed yet.
    I miss igotid88
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Apparently the Yanks are going for Justin Duchscherer now?

Looks like all of the potential starters they're looking into have had injury problems the last few years.

There's gotta be someone who's healthy out there.
    Pettitte will pitch this year. I am sure of it.

Yanks will take some risks on some injury prone pitchers and see what happens. Keep in mind they still have one hell of an offense.
    something tells he Pettitte will come back in June instead of April.
    I miss igotid88