The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    When I first heard the news my first thought was about the 2011 Yankees. Now it just hit me that we will never see pettitte pitch again and damn, that sucks. Been a pleasure.
    igotid88 wrote:
    i think we all expected this. especially the longer he took.

I thought he was coming back. Was sure of it.
  • This quote from Torre sums it up best, I asked him about Pettitte after a May game in 2007 against the Red Sox:

"He never got a lot of attention when he was here last time. "Not that he wanted it but there was always somebody who was higher up on the ladder. He sort of liked being in the shadows.

"But coming back as he has here, he's getting a lot more attention. But he's never shied away from responsibility. He lost a game 3-2 to the Mets, he pitched a helluva ballgame and felt that he let everybody down. That's what he's all about. He has a heart this big and I'm just glad New York brings out the best in him."
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    When I first heard the news my first thought was about the 2011 Yankees. Now it just hit me that we will never see pettitte pitch again and damn, that sucks. Been a pleasure.

Well there's still a chance. Others have come out of retirement in the past.
    I miss igotid88
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,942
    AP = HOF??? :?

I'd give it a definite maybe :lol: . His win total probably doesn't stack up but from a non-Yankee fan (not hard core into everything he's done) I will say I can't remember him EVER being non-competitive in a BIG game. Did he ever have a shit game in the post season?

and, back to steroids...let him in the Hall....but NOT because you buy his explanation or because he's a nice guy. that's not fair to "my guy"....the guy with the bad explanation and the bad personality :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,566
    imalive wrote:

I'd give it a definite maybe :lol: . His win total probably doesn't stack up but from a non-Yankee fan (not hard core into everything he's done) I will say I can't remember him EVER being non-competitive in a BIG game. Did he ever have a shit game in the post season?

and, back to steroids...let him in the Hall....but NOT because you buy his explanation or because he's a nice guy. that's not fair to "my guy"....the guy with the bad explanation and the bad personality :lol:

jeff kent? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • imalive wrote:

It'll take a couple of years, but he'll eventually make it. Like you said his win total ain't high and I believe his career era would be the highest among current hall of fame pitchers.
    imalive wrote:

I say no. He is a first balloter in the hall of very good but I don't think he is Cooperstown material. Not taking anything away from his career, it was great, just don't think it's hall of fame worthy. Great big game pitcher.

And you know I don't care about the steroids and HGH for any of them.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,942
    imalive wrote:

jeff kent? :lol:
    jeff kent is one of those guys like palmiero who we "know" never took steroids. what? palmiero did take steroids? :wtf: :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I say no. He is a first balloter in the hall of very good but I don't think he is Cooperstown material. Not taking anything away from his career, it was great, just don't think it's hall of fame worthy. Great big game pitcher.

And you know I don't care about the steroids and HGH for any of them.

I agree, not quite a Hall of Famer. But good enough for a NYY retired number.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • one of the most disappointing things about him retiring to me is that he could have made the HOF with a few good years (assuming his one time HGH use admission does not disqualify him in the eye of the voters). I would have loved to see him make a run at 300, granted it would have taken 4 or 5 quality seasons. This is a great opportunity for the kids in the system. Cashman has been drafting pitchers like crazy the last 5 years or so. It's high time we saw some fruit of that labor, Joba and Hughes aside. The 2 best prospects, Betances and banuelos are said to be 1 year away at least, but maybe someone else steps up, much like Pettitte did in 1995
    one of the most disappointing things about him retiring to me is that he could have made the HOF with a few good years (assuming his one time HGH use admission does not disqualify him in the eye of the voters). I would have loved to see him make a run at 300, granted it would have taken 4 or 5 quality seasons. This is a great opportunity for the kids in the system. Cashman has been drafting pitchers like crazy the last 5 years or so. It's high time we saw some fruit of that labor, Joba and Hughes aside. The 2 best prospects, Betances and banuelos are said to be 1 year away at least, but maybe someone else steps up, much like Pettitte did in 1995

You see what Keith Law had to say about Banuelos? Great stuff.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Hughes and Jeter came in early.
    I miss igotid88
    The Mexican Gangster signs with the Red Sox. I really liked the dude. Hope he gets rocked this year though.
    What is too much for Liriano? Montero is off limits, for Liriano at least.

Not sure I would move Banuelos for him.
    Cafardo's Latest: Pettitte, Millwood, Blanton
    By Luke Adams
    Even now that Andy Pettitte has announced his retirement, it seems the debate over whether he'll pitch again won't die. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe talked to one scout who, following Pettitte's press conference, was still unconvinced the left-hander is done for good.

"I get the feeling his career isn’t over. For one, he can still pitch at a high level. Secondly, he didn’t retire with any conviction. The stuff about going back and forth on whether or not to pitch leads me to believe he’ll decide to pitch again."

Whether or not the scout is on to something, the Yankees are looking elsewhere for starting pitching. Cafardo has a couple notes on their search among this week's hot stove updates....

We heard yesterday that the Indians were "making progress" with Kevin Millwood, who is talking to multiple clubs. Cafardo names the Yankees, Mets, and Tribe as teams still in on the right-hander, with salary as the primary hang-up. Given Scott Boras' success so far this offseason, it would actually be somewhat surprising if he and Millwood don't eventually get what they're asking for.

The Yanks will "see what they have" with pitchers like Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, and Sergio Mitre before they consider trading for someone like Joe Blanton.
    www.myspace.com
    By Luke Adams
    Even now that Andy Pettitte has announced his retirement, it seems the debate over whether he'll pitch again won't die. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe talked to one scout who, following Pettitte's press conference, was still unconvinced the left-hander is done for good.

"I get the feeling his career isn’t over. For one, he can still pitch at a high level. Secondly, he didn’t retire with any conviction. The stuff about going back and forth on whether or not to pitch leads me to believe he’ll decide to pitch again."

Whether or not the scout is on to something, the Yankees are looking elsewhere for starting pitching. Cafardo has a couple notes on their search among this week's hot stove updates....

We heard yesterday that the Indians were "making progress" with Kevin Millwood, who is talking to multiple clubs. Cafardo names the Yankees, Mets, and Tribe as teams still in on the right-hander, with salary as the primary hang-up. Given Scott Boras' success so far this offseason, it would actually be somewhat surprising if he and Millwood don't eventually get what they're asking for.

The Yanks will "see what they have" with pitchers like Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, and Sergio Mitre before they consider trading for someone like Joe Blanton.

I think they are going to see what they have before they go after someone like Liriano or Carpenter (if he becomes available), not Blanton, that would be dumb.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    By Luke Adams

I think they are going to see what they have before they go after someone like Liriano or Carpenter (if he becomes available), not Blanton, that would be dumb.

kevin millwood ;) ....i'm definitely referring to the yankees as the pre 2007 phillies if that ever happens

i was at his no hitter back in '03. that was 100% awesome.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    By Luke Adams

kevin millwood ;) ....i'm definitely referring to the yankees as the pre 2007 phillies if that ever happens

i was at his no hitter back in '03. that was 100% awesome.

I don't see that happening. He is asking for a lot of money and stinks.

That's pretty sweet, would love to see a no hitter or perfect game.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

My closest I think was Vicente Padilla :o for the Phils at Shea Stadium - no hitter through 7 if I remember correctly.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    My father was at Doc Gooden's no hitter in '96.

Would love to see something like that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

My closest I think was Vicente Padilla :o for the Phils at Shea Stadium - no hitter through 7 if I remember correctly.

the cool thing about the millwood game was that the phils only had 4 hits of their own and the score was 1-0. so the game was super intense. plus the giants were an offensive machine back then. he struck out bonds late in the game and the vet went nuts.
    www.myspace.com
  • the cool thing about the millwood game was that the phils only had 4 hits of their own and the score was 1-0. so the game was super intense. plus the giants were an offensive machine back then. he struck out bonds late in the game and the vet went nuts.

It was cool how the Thome and Millwood signings created a buzz at The Vet that year. At least it didn't go out with a complete thud.

So yeah, Kevin Millwood and the Yankees, that should work out great. :lol:

the cool thing about the millwood game was that the phils only had 4 hits of their own and the score was 1-0. so the game was super intense. plus the giants were an offensive machine back then. he struck out bonds late in the game and the vet went nuts.

It was cool how the Thome and Millwood signings created a buzz at The Vet that year. At least it didn't go out with a complete thud.

So yeah, Kevin Millwood and the Yankees, that should work out great. :lol:

they should then bring bobby abreu back and call it a day. :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • Do any Yank fans here who live outside NY have or have a suggestion as to which cable package I should get to be able to see all the Yanks games on tv? I'm moving out of state and will no longer have YES in my cable.
    Haven't done a ton of research yet but I know i don't want the mlb package that gives you ever single game and dont want one where you can only stream online.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Do any Yank fans here who live outside NY have or have a suggestion as to which cable package I should get to be able to see all the Yanks games on tv? I'm moving out of state and will no longer have YES in my cable.
    Haven't done a ton of research yet but I know i don't want the mlb package that gives you ever single game and dont want one where you can only stream online.
    I probably should have mentioned my new place wil have verizon fios. according to their channel guide though we will be way out of their region, it may include the YES network?!?!????
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Do any Yank fans here who live outside NY have or have a suggestion as to which cable package I should get to be able to see all the Yanks games on tv? I'm moving out of state and will no longer have YES in my cable.
    I probably should have mentioned my new place wil have verizon fios. according to their channel guide though we will be way out of their region, it may include the YES network?!?!????
    I have Comcast and it has YES.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Do any Yank fans here who live outside NY have or have a suggestion as to which cable package I should get to be able to see all the Yanks games on tv? I'm moving out of state and will no longer have YES in my cable.

You will have to buy the Extra Innings package. It will be my 4th or 5th season with it. It costs around $160 for the season but you get every game except Saturday day games because of Fox. Sweet that you get YES with Fios but the games will be blacked out and you will have to buy the pacakge. Its great to have though.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

need to get a baseball package for this upcoming season myself. i have comcast, and i think my only bet is MLB network??
    rival. wrote:

need to get a baseball package for this upcoming season myself. i have comcast, and i think my only bet is MLB network??

Comast has MLB Extra Innings. You get pretty much every game.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Progra ... nings.html