The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Some people (Bill Maddon specifically) are beginning to say that Cashman may leave after this season because he wants to prove himself with a smaller budget. Have read this in a few places recently. I don't really buy it. No one is going to pay him what the Yankees will and as much as a challenge would be nice, why the fuck would you leave a team with a $210 million budget?
    Interesting stuff from Cashman this morning...

He does not see Jeter staying at short for the next 4 years.
    Joba's injury is worse than we were aware of and he has not been the same since. It sounds like that's the reason he's not a starter and won't be.
    One starter away from being a World Series contender

And a bunch of other stuff.
    Let's just start by saying, no way the guy makes the team but....

:x :x :x
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Talking about Bartolo Colon?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes, let's all agree to never talk about him being associated with the Yankees again, there is no way he makes the team.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,566
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes, let's all agree to never talk about him being associated with the Yankees again, there is no way he makes the team.
    :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Colon looks like the Phillie Phanatic. Especially the body type
    I said...I don't want to talk about it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

here you go buddy...this should cheer you up

(from Law's Minor League Org Rankings that came out today)

9. New York Yankees
    Gary Sanchez had a tremendous debut season, Dellin Betances and Andrew Brackman got healthy, and Manny Banuelos saw his stuff tick up and they're backed up with a lot of back-end starter depth. They rival Toronto for the best catching depth in the minors and took a couple of intriguing guys later in the 2010 draft, one of whom I'll discuss Friday.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

9. New York Yankees
    Gary Sanchez had a tremendous debut season, Dellin Betances and Andrew Brackman got healthy, and Manny Banuelos saw his stuff tick up and they're backed up with a lot of back-end starter depth. They rival Toronto for the best catching depth in the minors and took a couple of intriguing guys later in the 2010 draft, one of whom I'll discuss Friday.

Thanks, man. I saw he released this today and that the Yanks were 9 but didn't read it since I don't have insider. Definitely good news. Also saw MLB.com had their prospect rankings out and Montero was 9th, seems a little low to me. The Angels kid was 1, Harper 2 (I believe) and Brown 3, so I took it with a grain of salt with Harper already that high after playing 1 AFL season.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

9. New York Yankees

Thanks, man. I saw he released this today and that the Yanks were 9 but didn't read it since I don't have insider. Definitely good news. Also saw MLB.com had their prospect rankings out and Montero was 9th, seems a little low to me. The Angels kid was 1, Harper 2 (I believe) and Brown 3, so I took it with a grain of salt with Harper already that high after playing 1 AFL season.

That kid Mike Trout for the Angels is supposed to be a monster. He's a South Jersey kid too. Apparently he has been timed as the fastest player ever to get out of the box to first...which is crazy since he hits RH.
    The Fixer wrote:
    That kid Mike Trout for the Angels is supposed to be a monster. He's a South Jersey kid too. Apparently he has been timed as the fastest player ever to get out of the box to first...which is crazy since he hits RH.

Yeah, that's his name, was blanking on it. Didn't realize he was from south jersey. I didn't read that but have heard he is crazy fast.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    David Cone is back in the booth. 25 games
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:

i wish paul o'neill called more games than he does. him, michael kay, and ken singleton are great together in the booth.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:

i wish paul o'neill called more games than he does. him, michael kay, and ken singleton are great together in the booth.
    Definitely.

Does anyone know if Al Leiter is doing games also?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    This makes me happy...

We can all agree on one thing about Montero: He’s going to hit. And by that, I mean he’s going to hit for average, get on base and have huge power — the type of offensive profile that plays anywhere on the field and in the lineup. Montero is a physical beast, the rare front-foot hitter who can generate big-time power, reminiscent of Frank Thomas who was, himself, also a patient and disciplined hitter.

Of course, the question on Montero since the Yankees signed him has been his ultimate position. He has the arm strength to remain a catcher, but takes way too long to get rid of the ball. He’s not a bad athlete, but his bulk has always made it hard for him to get his body moving quickly the way a catcher has to move to block balls or jump out of the crouch to throwing position. There’s also a concern about the long-term effects that catching will have on Montero’s knees. He is listed at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, and only five players in MLB history have caught 200 games at or above those numbers, three of them (Joe Mauer, Chris Snyder, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia) have had knee and/or back problems.

With a bat this potentially strong, why risk injury or give up the 20-25 games a year when your catcher has to rest? Montero could solve the Yankees’ DH problem for the next 10 years if they commit to it, a move they are unlikely to ever regret.
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Definitely.

Glad to see Cone back. Am sure Leiter will be around still.
    As does this...

Banuelos was on the prospect radar last year as a competitive, strike-throwing lefthander with a good changeup and a chance to add velocity. Now he’s a 19-year-old on the cusp of the majors with a three-pitch mix where all three pitches will at least flash above-average.

Banuelos did pick up some velocity and will now work at 90-94 mph with his fastball; he commands the pitch extremely well to both sides of the plate, and its only flaw is a lack of sink. His changeup in the 78-84 range has both excellent arm speed and tremendous fade, and he showed an improved curveball with two-plane break in the upper 70s.

Banuelos’ 2010 season started in June because he had his appendix removed right before the season started, but he had little trouble with high-A hitters and finished strongly in Double-A and in the Arizona Fall League. He’ll start 2011 in Double-A, but even though he’s 19 he’s close to maxed out physically now, so he’s just a few refinements away from being able to help the big league club.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Definitely.

Glad to see Cone back. Am sure Leiter will be around still.
    I like when Leiter calls games. He always gives you a great insight into the pitchers and shows the way they throw a certain pitch.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Here you go fellas...my gift to you since we share our hatred of the Red Sox. And because you just signed the phillie phanatic.

Let me know if there are any other players or teams you're interested in seeing.

Rank Player
    4 Jesus Montero
    Bats: Right Throws: Right
    Position: Catcher Organization: New York Yankees
    Top '10 Level: AAA (Scranton Wilkes-Barre)
    2010 ranking: 10

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    123AB
    453HR
    21RBI
    75SB

SO
    91BB
    46AVG
    .289OBP
    .353SLG
    We can all agree on one thing about Montero: He's going to hit. And by that, I mean he's going to hit for average, get on base and have huge power -- the type of offensive profile that plays anywhere on the field and in the lineup. Montero is a physical beast, the rare front-foot hitter who can generate big-time power, reminiscent of Frank Thomas who was, himself, also a patient and disciplined hitter.

Of course, the question on Montero since the Yankees signed him has been his ultimate position. He has the arm strength to remain a catcher, but takes way too long to get rid of the ball. He's not a bad athlete, but his bulk has always made it hard for him to get his body moving quickly the way a catcher has to move to block balls or jump out of the crouch to throwing position. There's also a concern about the long-term effects that catching will have on Montero's knees. He is listed at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, and only five players in MLB history have caught 200 games at or above those numbers, three of them (Joe Mauer, Chris Snyder, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia) have had knee and/or back problems.

With a bat this potentially strong, why risk injury or give up the 20-25 games a year when your catcher has to rest? Montero could solve the Yankees' DH problem for the next 10 years if they commit to it, a move they are unlikely to ever regret.

Rank Player
    12 Manny Banuelos
    Bats: Left Throws: Left
    Position: Pitcher Organization: New York Yankees
    Top '10 Level: AA (Trenton)
    2010 ranking: 96

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    15IP
    64.2W
    0L
    4ERA

SO
    85BB
    25H
    54HR
    3BAA
    Banuelos was on the prospect radar last year as a competitive, strike-throwing lefthander with a good changeup and a chance to add velocity. Now he's a 19-year-old on the cusp of the majors with a three-pitch mix where all three pitches will at least flash above-average.

Banuelos did pick up some velocity and will now work at 90-94 mph with his fastball; he commands the pitch extremely well to both sides of the plate, and its only flaw is a lack of sink. His changeup in the 78-84 range has both excellent arm speed and tremendous fade, and he showed an improved curveball with two-plane break in the upper 70s.

Banuelos' 2010 season started in June because he had his appendix removed right before the season started, but he had little trouble with high-A hitters and finished strongly in Double-A and in the Arizona Fall League. He'll start 2011 in Double-A, but even though he's 19 he's close to maxed out physically now, so he's just a few refinements away from being able to help the big league club.

68 Gary Sanchez
    Top '10 Level: Single-A
    2010 ranking: UR

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    47AB
    173HR
    8RBI
    43SB

SO
    44BB
    14AVG
    .329OBP
    .393SLG
    The Yankees are loaded with prospects who currently catch, and while they probably won't all pan out at the position, it's a good area in which to have a surplus. Sanchez is the furthest away, and has a chance to replace Jesus Montero at the top of the Yankees' prospect rankings soon. The two are similar overall; Sanchez has a better chance to catch with a slightly lower ceiling at the plate. He's going to be very physical, but has plenty of agility behind the plate with an above-average arm and quick release.

At the plate, his swing is loose and quick and he keeps his weight back well, giving him the potential to hit for both average and power. There's still a lot of projection involved in that evaluation, and he's barely 18 years old at the moment, but his youth and distance from the majors are the only things keeping him out of the top echelon of this list.

73 Dellin Betances
    Position: Starting Pitcher Organization: New York Yankees

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    17IP
    85.1W
    8L
    1ERA

SO
    108BB
    22H
    53HR
    4BAA
    Betances has a big body and a big arm, but still has a lot of work to do as a pitcher. Fully recovered from Tommy John surgery, he'll hit 96-97 and pitch in the low 90s, and has a solid-average changeup with both good arm speed and fade. His curveball is wildly inconsistent; I saw it well below-average, and have talked to scouts who saw it the same and scouts who saw it as a grade 55 or better pitch. Despite his size, Betances doesn't get great extension out front and his early release point could be behind the trouble I saw him have with the curve.

He's not a great athlete or fielder. He is also only 22 with just shy of 300 innings total in three-plus years in pro ball, so time is on his side for him to improve his feel or his body control or for the Yankees to continue refining his delivery. There's No. 1 starter potential here, but the probability isn't there yet.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    Randy Levine ripped Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg a new asshole today. Because of his belief that the Rangers last meeting with Lee gave the Phils a chance to jump in! And that he's glad Lee didn't sign with NYY. Wow what a shock, u mean it's better you won't face Lee in a Yankee uniform only potentially in a WS matchup( what an amateur)

I liked Levine's remark about keeping the Rangers out of shared revenue for 3 years staigjt before opening his mouth...... Stay off welfare, classic response

The yanks always get shit for having the most money, seems some of that loot helped the Rangers from turning into the GM of MLB...... Oh I forgot they took MLB $$ :)

Fuck off Chuck
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Randy Levine ripped Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg a new asshole today. Because of his belief that the Rangers last meeting with Lee gave the Phils a chance to jump in! And that he's glad Lee didn't sign with NYY. Wow what a shock, u mean it's better you won't face Lee in a Yankee uniform only potentially in a WS matchup( what an amateur)

I liked Levine's remark about keeping the Rangers out of shared revenue for 3 years staigjt before opening his mouth...... Stay off welfare, classic response

The yanks always get shit for having the most money, seems some of that loot helped the Rangers from turning into the GM of MLB...... Oh I forgot they took MLB $$ :)

Fuck off Chuck

I typicaly roll my eyes when Levine opens his mouth, but I really enjoyed this. Welcome to the big leagues Chuck.
    if he really said, 'stay off welfare', then that is one of the best trash talking lines I have ever heard.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    edited January 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    Here you go fellas...my gift to you since we share our hatred of the Red Sox. And because you just signed the phillie phanatic.

Let me know if there are any other players or teams you're interested in seeing.

Rank Player
    4 Jesus Montero
    Top '10 Level: AAA (Scranton Wilkes-Barre)
    2010 ranking: 10

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    123AB
    453HR
    21RBI
    75SB

SO
    91BB
    46AVG
    .289OBP
    .353SLG
    We can all agree on one thing about Montero: He's going to hit. And by that, I mean he's going to hit for average, get on base and have huge power -- the type of offensive profile that plays anywhere on the field and in the lineup. Montero is a physical beast, the rare front-foot hitter who can generate big-time power, reminiscent of Frank Thomas who was, himself, also a patient and disciplined hitter.

Of course, the question on Montero since the Yankees signed him has been his ultimate position. He has the arm strength to remain a catcher, but takes way too long to get rid of the ball. He's not a bad athlete, but his bulk has always made it hard for him to get his body moving quickly the way a catcher has to move to block balls or jump out of the crouch to throwing position. There's also a concern about the long-term effects that catching will have on Montero's knees. He is listed at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, and only five players in MLB history have caught 200 games at or above those numbers, three of them (Joe Mauer, Chris Snyder, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia) have had knee and/or back problems.

With a bat this potentially strong, why risk injury or give up the 20-25 games a year when your catcher has to rest? Montero could solve the Yankees' DH problem for the next 10 years if they commit to it, a move they are unlikely to ever regret.

Rank Player
    12 Manny Banuelos
    Bats: Left Throws: Left
    Position: Pitcher Organization: New York Yankees
    2010 ranking: 96

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    15IP
    64.2W
    0L
    4ERA

SO
    85BB
    25H
    54HR
    3BAA
    Banuelos was on the prospect radar last year as a competitive, strike-throwing lefthander with a good changeup and a chance to add velocity. Now he's a 19-year-old on the cusp of the majors with a three-pitch mix where all three pitches will at least flash above-average.

Banuelos' 2010 season started in June because he had his appendix removed right before the season started, but he had little trouble with high-A hitters and finished strongly in Double-A and in the Arizona Fall League. He'll start 2011 in Double-A, but even though he's 19 he's close to maxed out physically now, so he's just a few refinements away from being able to help the big league club.

68 Gary Sanchez
    Top '10 Level: Single-A

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    47AB
    173HR
    8RBI
    43SB

SO
    44BB
    14AVG
    .329OBP
    .393SLG
    The Yankees are loaded with prospects who currently catch, and while they probably won't all pan out at the position, it's a good area in which to have a surplus. Sanchez is the furthest away, and has a chance to replace Jesus Montero at the top of the Yankees' prospect rankings soon. The two are similar overall; Sanchez has a better chance to catch with a slightly lower ceiling at the plate. He's going to be very physical, but has plenty of agility behind the plate with an above-average arm and quick release.

At the plate, his swing is loose and quick and he keeps his weight back well, giving him the potential to hit for both average and power. There's still a lot of projection involved in that evaluation, and he's barely 18 years old at the moment, but his youth and distance from the majors are the only things keeping him out of the top echelon of this list.

73 Dellin Betances
    Position: Starting Pitcher Organization: New York Yankees

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    17IP
    85.1W
    8L
    1ERA

SO
    108BB
    22H
    53HR
    4BAA
    Betances has a big body and a big arm, but still has a lot of work to do as a pitcher. Fully recovered from Tommy John surgery, he'll hit 96-97 and pitch in the low 90s, and has a solid-average changeup with both good arm speed and fade. His curveball is wildly inconsistent; I saw it well below-average, and have talked to scouts who saw it the same and scouts who saw it as a grade 55 or better pitch. Despite his size, Betances doesn't get great extension out front and his early release point could be behind the trouble I saw him have with the curve.

He's not a great athlete or fielder. He is also only 22 with just shy of 300 innings total in three-plus years in pro ball, so time is on his side for him to improve his feel or his body control or for the Yankees to continue refining his delivery. There's No. 1 starter potential here, but the probability isn't there yet.

I am extremely excited about this. The Yankees have not had a showing like this in a long time. Not to mention Romine just missed the list. I can't wait for some of these kids hitting the big leagues. As much money as the Yanks spend, they are going to need cheap production with the Arod contract so Montero and Banuelos could be really helptul

Edit: Also crazy Sanchez is so high. 3 top catching prospects...hell yeah.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    The Fixer wrote:
    if he really said, 'stay off welfare', then that is one of the best trash talking lines I have ever heard.

The whole thing is pure gold

“Chuck’s delusional. He’s been in the game for a few minutes and yet he thinks he knows what everyone’s thinking. I think he should let Cliff Lee speak for himself. (Greenberg) would really impress us when he keeps the Rangers off of welfare and keeps them from receiving revenue sharing the next three years.”
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The whole thing is pure gold

“Chuck’s delusional. He’s been in the game for a few minutes and yet he thinks he knows what everyone’s thinking. I think he should let Cliff Lee speak for himself. (Greenberg) would really impress us when he keeps the Rangers off of welfare and keeps them from receiving revenue sharing the next three years.”

that is gold. hahahaha
    Just fucking horrible.

Please Andy, I and the rest of the Yankees fan base is begging.
  • and the Yankees just signed Freddy Garcia to a minor league deal.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    and the Yankees just signed Freddy Garcia to a minor league deal.

was about to post this.
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,566
    and the Yankees just signed Freddy Garcia to a minor league deal.

did this team turn into the pre-2007 phillies all of a sudden?

joe blanton...come and get him :)
    www.myspace.com