Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    'The End' guts me.. my dad passed away in May and

my mom passed away in 2010 and without going into details about her relationship with my dad..

just seems as if she could've spoken, she would have left saying those words ~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Costa Rica, Just Breathe (I've been away from the one I love for 3 weeks now... as he introduced it)....
    If so, what song(s)?
  • ML8224ML8224 Posts: 40
    Black...wrigley field
  • Black in early 90's. college friend killed himself and that song always got me.

Just Breathe after a friends wife died of breast cancer. The End as well. Just chokes me up. He could have wrote The End.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Ever since I lost my dad, I cry like a baby during release. Opening with that song both at Alpine and Wrigley just tore right through me...
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Watching Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns from Wrigley made me cry when I watched it yesterday. Even just hearing the opening chords brought tears to my eyes. It was just beautiful!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Long Road. -- lost my mom in 2005 and this is the one that gets me. And the Chicago night 1 in 2009 bootleg can get to me a bit since that show had a lot of emotion running through it due to Jeff's friend's passing that spring.
    1995 - Milwaukee, Night 1 ~~~ 2004 - VFC Toledo ~~~ 2006 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2009 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~
    2011 - PJ 20 East Troy, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2013 - Wrigley ~~~ 2014 - Moline ~~~ 2016 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2018 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2022 - STL~~~ 2023 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2
  • LaEscapiaLaEscapia Posts: 6
    God, Yes. More times than I can count, more songs than I can remember. Sometimes just the sound of Ed's voice can choke me up. I remember once, when I was really going through some tough shit, "Hard To Imagine" hit me like a ton of bricks and I broke down. It was so cathartic. And the day Backspacer was released coincided with one of the longest, toughest nights of my life. "Unthought Known," "Speed of Sound," and "Force of Nature" got me through that night. I'm not ashamed to say Pearl Jam's music has brought me to tears. It's part of why I love it so much. And after my father died, "Come Back" absolutely tore me up. I was driving home from visiting my mom, and that song came on as I was driving through the mountains of East Tennessee. Every word seemed to express exactly what I knew my mother was going through. I was driving and crying. It was beautiful.
    "Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up
    Leaving puddles on the ground"
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Just listened to Future Days for the first time. Couldn't make it through. I guess I'm going through some stuff. Hit me right where I lived.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Many thanks Dimi, that doesn't make me cry, but it does give me 'goosebumps'

In answer to the original poster - Yes, quite a few times, but some of those times are private
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • lazlobluelazloblue Posts: 738
    Release does it to me quite often.

Sometimes it sneaks up on me in the middle of the song. :o
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Friend of mine has been battling brain cancer for years now. About 3 months ago found out there was no hope. Found out last night he has 2 months according to the doctor. Put in a mixed CD while cooking dinner of PJ I made about a year ago tonight. Making dinner and The End came on and I just broke down. He has 3 kids, 3, 6 and 16. Life just isnt fair. :cry: Whatever problems we have in our lives, be it work, a breakup or whatever. It just puts things in perspective.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • tcadd94tcadd94 Posts: 611
    Oh, man.

Thumbing my Way
    Present Tense
    Come Back - (especially the 06 Italy shows for some reason)
    Guaranteed - if it counts
    Nothingman
    Parachutes

Probably some more. PJ has gotten me through many hard times. What can I say, I'm a sensitive dude. ;)
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • The film "Big Fish" came out right after I lost my Dad, so that whole movie was a hard watch, awesome as it was.

That being said, I still choke up every time I hear "Man of the Hour".
  • cydoniacydonia Posts: 456
    Yes. The first time I saw them in manchester in 2000, I was brought to tears when they played nothingman. And in 2009 when they opened with long road. The last time I saw them in manchester, my mum had recently been diagnosed with cancer and she made the gig. It was such a powerful experience and felt tearful throughout the whole concert. Thankyou prearl jam.
  • ratonesratones Posts: 165
    Friend of mine has been battling brain cancer for years now. About 3 months ago found out there was no hope. Found out last night he has 2 months according to the doctor. Put in a mixed CD while cooking dinner of PJ I made about a year ago tonight. Making dinner and The End came on and I just broke down. He has 3 kids, 3, 6 and 16. Life just isnt fair. :cry: Whatever problems we have in our lives, be it work, a breakup or whatever. It just puts things in perspective.

Can't agree more with the last sentence. Sometimes we forget how little our own problems really are in the grand scheme of things.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Only once. Come back at Wrigley.
  • Release gets me every time. Eyes filling up just writing this :cry:
    Happy up here in my tree
  • present tense last night
  • Cried last night listening to the cover of "It Happened Today"-so beautiful and full of emotion.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Come Back did the first time i heard it. it was shortly after a friend of mine was killed in iraq. made me think of his wife and daughter. great song, but i don't play it much. hits too close to home. Release definitely brought tears to my eyes the first time i heard it live. crowd reaction was so moving. it was as if all of the pent up negative energy in the arena was let go with just two words spoken in unison by 20,000+ "release me"
  • I'm sure many of us have this same feeling but I feel that as I get older and experience new things in life (birth of a child, marriage, etc.) some of the songs take on new meanings and feelings. Lately I get choked up during Man of the Hour and Long Road. Maybe it's because I've decided those are my funeral songs (along with Satisfied Mind by Johnny Cash). My wife is also listening to a lot of PJ for the first time and her overwhelming feedback of the music/lyrics/vocals is the emotion that is conveyed. She has been closed to tears many times from many different songs.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
  • I will probably be burned for this one, but the combination of Just Breathe and The End did it to me. My father in law had died and these songs hit home... Hard... I remember I was in Nijmegen (Netherlands) and Ed played Just Breathe, well, it just choked me. It all came back. I was bruised and punched because of the bad security of London Calling a few days before (even was a bit scared of the crowd), but when this song came, it just washed me away...

They are simple and stripped down songs, small songs, with large messages.
  • WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    You guys will think this is a "too soon" moment, but last night "Sirens" made me cry. Regardless of what your interpretations of the song are, it made me think about how in love with my fiance I am and how lucky I am to be with her. Anyways, that's my story of how Pearl Jam has made me cry haha.
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Yeah, when they announced a BDO festival only appearance.
    Seeing I hate BDO and won't be going, it made me cry (on the inside).
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014