Options

Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    The last two lines of of "Breathe" when my dog took her last breath. :cry:
    And "she holds the hand that holds her down, she will rise up/above" when I was younger and finally got away from my abusive father.
    And "Once Divided" while going through my divorce.
    Those are some sad ones...but I cried tears of joy when I heard "Given to Fly" live, as it's my favorite song. And MacCready's solo on "Alive" is also joyful.

Interesting, too, that I just found this thread, because--and sorry if this is too personal and maybe off topic--I tried to convey why/how the music and hearing it live is such an emotional experience for me to my current significant other (who likes their music but isn't a serious fan), and he said he can't think of ANY music that would bring up any emotions for him. :shock: I know he's numb in general from depression, but when I told him that was sad and made me feel sorry for him, he argued that it wasn't sad, "just different"

I don't know, for me I feel like if you don't like dogs (our bond with this species goes back millions of years) and no form of music evokes some kind of emotional response, ever, then you are missing something of what it means to be human.

Which led me to another question: how many of you reading this have a significant other who is as much of a fan as you are?

Just curious. Thinking about starting a 10 C dating site. :lol:
  • Options
    mqmq Posts: 1
    constantly. when i first heard sirens, was literally hearing sirens going off in my town saying "flooding is imminent". seek higher ground. this is right after I learned of my cousins child being swept away and killed in flood waters. awful. i know the lyrics have different meaning - but cannot help think of that night every time i hear the song.
  • Options
    Loads of times. First time I saw them in 2006 at Leeds Festival and they played Black. Held hands with my friends and shed a tear. Most recently upon hearing Future Days and feeling it relate to my own life I went to pieces on a car journey. No other band can do that to me.
  • Options
    too many times to list.

Agree!
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    all the time...
    when i found out my buddy past away in a motorcycle accident, off he goes hit the spot. it was therapeutic, it helped me release the sadness. many numerous random other times. most recent, day after show in seattle. i found myself wandering the streets of downtown sobbing, missing, heartbroken, longing to see them again.
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    When I first heard Alive back in 1991, I cried my eyes out, finally someone who had approximately the same experience that I had, with my "dad". I felt I wasn't alone anymore
    Daughter- Dyslectic as I am, the struggle the girl in Daughter has was very recognizable.
    Indifference, Let the records play, Breath, Rearviewmirror, the list goes on and on, but maybe it's very easy to make me cry ;)
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    the first time i saw them..the seconds before play ''go''..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    So many times. Just a couple of examples:

The first time I saw the band live, last year in Stockholm... They started with Elderly woman, and the response and joy from the crowd was just overwhelming, that added to my own feeling when they were on stage before me after almost 20 years of waiting...

The day Sirens was released was really bad and tiring for me, and when I listened to the song for the first time in the evening, it was just so soothing and lovely I couldn't help but cry.
    Also, the combination of My Father's Son and Sirens on the record - reflecting my past with a shithead of a father and trying to not let that affect my own future, and my present calm and good situation.

Light Years does it almost every time, makes me think of my little brother who passed away a long time ago.
  • Options
    barnburner13barnburner13 Princeton, Illinois Posts: 8
    oh man...more times than I would like to admit..."Just Breathe" always get me, as does "Black"...
    Nov 26, 1991 Normal, Illinois July 19, 2013 Wrigley FIeld
  • Options
    pbrm_pearljampbrm_pearljam Amsterdam Posts: 38
    Going thru the shitholes of life at the moment...this one does it for me......

So f*cking powerfull........and healing......

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FaW6tSiU21s
    See the path.....cut by the moon.....for you to walk on........

NIJMEGEN 2007 - AHOY 2009 - NIJMEGEN 2010 - AMSTERDAM-1 2012
    AMSTERDAM-2 2012 !!!!!!!!
    ED 25-7-2012

AMSTERDAM 1+2 2014
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Was at a loss for words with Pete Seeger's death, a man who seemingly made every moment count and spread the good stuff to others. I saw this from BDO and lost it…A favorite rendition at a quiet moment. May the joy and love you bring spread like wildfire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnViqmhCIlU&feature=youtu.be
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    embrace said:

Was at a loss for words with Pete Seeger's death, a man who seemingly made every moment count and spread the good stuff to others. I saw this from BDO and lost it…A favorite rendition at a quiet moment. May the joy and love you bring spread like wildfire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnViqmhCIlU&feature=youtu.be

great.. :)>-
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    Sure they have.
    Release, Garden, Given to fly, Present tense and mostly Indifference
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I got a bit misty-eyed in Baltimore when Man of the Hour was played. My grandfather died last March. He was easily the most important male figure in my entire life. The lyrics to that song just resonated that night in a way they hadn't before. One of the most special moments at a PJ show ever for me.
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Of course, they did ! When i saw them in Paris for the first time (i was in the first row !!!! Ed was just in front of me - I kept waiting to see them for 10 years ! so long)
    and when i listen to Come Back, All or None, Indifference, Immortality, Nothing as it seems, Unthought known : Melodies and lyrics on these songs are so wonderful

I still cry on Rearviewmirror too, for personal reasons...
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    luvstone95luvstone95 down by the river Posts: 3
    I cried at least once at every show that I have been to, each time it's a different song. I cried during Blood at the October 28th 2009 Philly show because of all the pain I was releasing. Then in 2013 23rd Anniversary show, during Sirens when all five of the guys harmonized, I bawled my eyes out. Plus it was the first time in the pit.
  • Options
    EvnfloEvnflo Johns Island SC Posts: 33
    I cry or tear up on Jeremy every time because of the emotion for which the song was written. The pain that must have been felt for lack of love and affection. No one deserves that. Especially young kids.
    Remember back, the early days, When you were young, and thus amazed, suddenly the channel changed the first time you saw blood.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    The first time I heard the song Daughter, I bawled...I was like 13, with an absent father and that song captured every emotion I felt about him I played it on repeat for days...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524
    Release me - especially the line
    I wait up in the dark for you to speak to me
    When I saw Ed solo this year he spoke about his father and he got really choked up about it. I was bawling and I'm sure there was hardly a dry eye in the house
  • Options
    r00thless91r00thless91 Santa Ana, CA Posts: 43
    all the time. thats why i love them.
  • Options
    marynicole27marynicole27 USA Posts: 25
    I have no idea why, but "I just want to scream 'hello'" makes me cry EVERY time I hear it. I don't know how I connect to it, I just know it hits me very hard every time.
    November 1, 2013 - Voodoo Festival
    October 5, 2014 - ACL festival

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I have no idea why, but "I just want to scream 'hello'" makes me cry EVERY time I hear it. I don't know how I connect to it, I just know it hits me very hard every time.

I think this is a perfect item to add to the list. It doesn't seem like it would be sentimental but it shows how impacting PJ can be. (Welcome to the board, post #12!)

The first time I cried in years & years was when my father was dying and it was Pearl Jam that unlocked probably 15 years' worth of sorrow, angst, frustration, joy, etc....
    When people ask me about why I love PJ so much and why I am one of the obsessive/faithful, I tell them that not only are they the soundtrack for my life but that it was through Pearl Jam that I was able to learn how to feel again.
    I now cry pretty easily. Not talking bawl my eyes out but tear up....every show a different song will get me but also when I see a special moment with my nephew, son, wife, etc...I will wipe a tear or 5 away. Never used to be able to cry even when I should have.
    Thank you Pearl Jam!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Wrigley, Release. Great way to start the evening.
  • Options
    marynicole27marynicole27 USA Posts: 25

I think this is a perfect item to add to the list. It doesn't seem like it would be sentimental but it shows how impacting PJ can be. (Welcome to the board, post #12!)

Thank you! Pearl Jam's the best at making everyone feel alive!
    November 1, 2013 - Voodoo Festival
    October 5, 2014 - ACL festival

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited January 2015
    I never did add my list......... But as for a song that makes me cry every time.. Parting Ways. It came out just as my Fiancé cheated on me. And that broke my heart.. I thought I had recovered some.. But then as a get well present.. ( all this happen after my horse accident left me in the hospital for nine months), my Brother flew down to Oklahoma, where I was losing everything I had worked my now broken ass off for, to give me some inspiration. And with him was Binaural. I listened to that song one time. It made me sob. Like really sob.. Which REALLY hurt, cause I had just gotten a freshly minted plate screwed to my pelvic bone, and rods put in my knee and my foot. So crying that hard really hurt. But the funny thing ended up being that in the end, I related to the fact that the female protagonist in the song ended up realizing her fate was for the best, and bravely walking away. That song still makes me cry.. Mostly cause that fucker ( my ex) ruined my faith in love, though he had some help from the NEXT guy I dated, who cheated on me as well, but much worse so.. And every so often, when I'm crying over the first guy, I get this twinge of pain in my ass. Lol so I can literally say this guy Ed, was a pain in my ass!! But there's a few more that make me cry.. That just the only one that makes me cry EVERY time.
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Black - Past couple of years since I've seen my ex so that "I know someday..." part hits home for me.
    Indifference
    Nothing As It Seems - Just because it sounds like Comfortably Numb.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    In 2011 I had a bad flare up of anxiety and in the days leading up to a very big trip I was listening to Eddie's cover of 'My City of Ruin' in the car and burst into tears during the 'rise up, c'mon rise up' bit. Only time its ever happened.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    Thought i had posted in this thread, but i guess not......fargo 2003....2nd show, 1st in a decade....Ed started into Arc....couldnt contain the emotion.

Then pretty much the entire fucking show in St Paul 2014.

Then i am sitting in my living room a few months later, listening to the st paul boot, and it fucking happened again. I just started weeping.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 885
    The first time I cryed was watching Black on the MTV unplugged.
    But then the first time I saw them was at Wrigley Field 2013 and the second those guitar notes for Release started played I basically weeped the whole concert
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,228
    Tears of sadness and joy: Sleight Of Hand / Footsteps / Black / Leatherman / Indifference / Off He Goes / Wishlist / Come Back / Just Breathe / I Got ID / Force Of Nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABsaQ1439gc
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024