Options

Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    Long Road gets me every time.

When I first saw PJ was in high school ’91, they played with RHCP and Smashing Pumpkins. A group of senior guys were going to Austin, including my best friends older brother and his best friend Chris (who I was In LOVE with). So we skipped soccer practice and headed to Austin (remember when your biggest worry was your high school coach catching you drinking at a party??? Those were the days…)

That night was the first time I saw PJ and I was blown away. We had such a great time, what an amazing experience we all shared that night.

Fast forward to today and 2 of our group are gone. Chris fell out of the back of a truck while helping a friend move and died before EMS could even get there. Luis was killed when his tire blew out and he lost control of his car on the drive from Austin back to San Antonio for summer break.

I hadn’t talked to them in years, but I still miss them, miss the people that shared my youth. Long Road makes me think of them because it’s true, in the end we all are all heading the same place, we ALL walk the long road.
    Miss you guys.
  • Options
    Crystal the PistolCrystal the Pistol Houston, TX Posts: 140
    Long Road gets me every time.

When I first saw PJ was in high school ’91, they played with RHCP and Smashing Pumpkins. A group of senior guys were going to Austin, including my best friends older brother and his best friend Chris (who I was In LOVE with). So we skipped soccer practice and headed to Austin (remember when your biggest worry was your high school coach catching you drinking at a party??? Those were the days…)

That night was the first time I saw PJ and I was blown away. We had such a great time, what an amazing experience we all shared that night.

Fast forward to today and 2 of our group are gone. Chris fell out of the back of a truck while helping a friend move and died before EMS could even get there. Luis was killed when his tire blew out and he lost control of his car on the drive from Austin back to San Antonio for summer break.

I hadn’t talked to them in years, but I still miss them, miss the people that shared my youth. Long Road makes me think of them because it’s true, in the end we all are all heading the same place, we ALL walk the long road.
    Miss you guys.

I am so sorry for your loss. :( Hopefully you have found peace over the years.

‎"Missing someone isn't about how long it has been since you've seen them or the amount of time since you've talked. It's about that very moment when you find yourself doing something and wishing they were right there by your side.”
    AUSTIN: 9/16/1995
    THE WOODLANDS: 10/14/2000
    THE WOODLANDS: 4/6/2003
    NEW YORK: 6/24/2008
    NEW ORLEANS: 5/1/2010
    EAST TROY: 9/3/2011 & 9/4/2011
    PENSACOLA: 9/21/2012
    HOUSTON: 11/12/2012 (ev)
    DALLAS: 11/15/2013
    AUSTIN: 10/5/2014
    TULSA: 10/8/2014
    FT. LAUDERDALE: 4/8/2016
    MIAMI: 4/9/2016
    TAMPA: 4/11/2016
    JACKSONVILLE: 4/13/2016
    NEW ORLEANS: 4/23/2016
    BOSTON: 8/5/2016
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Nothingman really brings me down. Reminds me of my divorce..

Would rather not hear that song again.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    SCMike10 wrote:
    My wife attended only her second PJ concert last year (1st Mansfield show; her first was the previous night in Hartford :) ). She couldn't understand why I would drag her to see the same band THREE TIMES in 4 NIGHTS!! :shock: When PJ started playing Black, I looked over and tears where streaming down her face. We both are counting the days to Philly- she insisted in getting tix for all 4 nights :!:

As for me; shit- so many times I have been choked up. Seeing my 5 year old daughter doing the hallelujahs in Do the Evolution...reflecting on my past mistakes on Thumbing My Way...thinking on how blessed I am after hearing Just Breathe the first time...

Hearing my oldest daughter sing "no short haired yellow belly son of tricky dickys gonna mother Hubbard soft soap me with just a pocket full of hope" perfectly at the age of 8 got me choked up.
  • Options
    carmenerecarmenere Posts: 21
    No Code..with Around the Bend..and Off he goes.
    I am mine.
  • Options
    Jam.HeadJam.Head Posts: 23
    I've cried a few times but, last year in Hamilton takes the cake.

When Eddie dedicated 'I Remember You' to Johnny Ramone, it really got to me. It was such an honest, and humbling thing to share. It was really obvious that this friendship had a deep impact on Eddie, and I felt myself hanging on to every word he said, because for anyone who has ever lost someone they love, it was easy to relate to. I loved his reference to his daughter being present, and the 'cycle of life' too. It was a really emotional moment. It really felt like he was opening up to a room full of old friends. There's not a lot of bands that can REALLY do that these days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSkIbl78FI
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    SCMike10 wrote:
    My wife attended only her second PJ concert last year (1st Mansfield show; her first was the previous night in Hartford :) ). She couldn't understand why I would drag her to see the same band THREE TIMES in 4 NIGHTS!! :shock: When PJ started playing Black, I looked over and tears where streaming down her face. We both are counting the days to Philly- she insisted in getting tix for all 4 nights :!:

As for me; shit- so many times I have been choked up. Seeing my 5 year old daughter doing the hallelujahs in Do the Evolution...reflecting on my past mistakes on Thumbing My Way...thinking on how blessed I am after hearing Just Breathe the first time...

Hearing my oldest daughter sing "no short haired yellow belly son of tricky dickys gonna mother Hubbard soft soap me with just a pocket full of hope" perfectly at the age of 8 got me choked up.
    :clap::clap::lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Lots :lol: For different reasons,from different songs,at different times,and sometimes completely random.......Like watching the video someone posted the other day,Masters of War at Bob Dylans 50th,me at the comp tears streaming down my face :lol: Sometimes it makes me cry because it is awesome and beautiful......I thought I was just a geek :?
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-ajvoGx8Y
    this got me for some reason..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    matt76matt76 Posts: 1
    Absolutely, black, army reserve, sad, just breathe, just beautiful..:....
  • Options
    melivilmelivil Posts: 5
    yes, last november, when PJ played just breathe
    Melissa Villarroel
  • Options
    Jam.Head wrote:

When Eddie dedicated 'I Remember You' to Johnny Ramone, it really got to me. It was such an honest, and humbling thing to share. It was really obvious that this friendship had a deep impact on Eddie, and I felt myself hanging on to every word he said, because for anyone who has ever lost someone they love, it was easy to relate to. I loved his reference to his daughter being present, and the 'cycle of life' too. It was a really emotional moment. It really felt like he was opening up to a room full of old friends. There's not a lot of bands that can REALLY do that these days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSkIbl78FI

I shared in this moment, in a room of 15,000, with Eddie talking the way he does, it felt intimate and special. He has such a strong connection to beauty in this world, including the beauty he finds in his connection to his fans. As though he channels something sacred, beyond the rest of us, me anyway. I am endlessly amazed by his raw honesty and willingness to share this gift.

Come back gets me every time. Especially here, in another soulful dedication to his friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHkgzFXp ... re=related
  • Options
    Jam.HeadJam.Head Posts: 23
    Jam.Head wrote:

I shared in this moment, in a room of 15,000, with Eddie talking the way he does, it felt intimate and special. He has such a strong connection to beauty in this world, including the beauty he finds in his connection to his fans. As though he channels something sacred, beyond the rest of us, me anyway. I am endlessly amazed by his raw honesty and willingness to share this gift.

That's exactly how we felt. Thanks for using the words I couldn't find to explain it. :) Thanks for the link too. He's such a class act!

Come back gets me every time. Especially here, in another soulful dedication to his friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHkgzFXp ... re=related
  • Options
    ^^ Thank you! And thanks for the link you posted - it was really nice to relive a bit of that night again. So cool to talk with someone I probably crossed paths with.
  • Options
    Tora74Tora74 Posts: 107
    I prefer to think of it as a nice Release

Then go have a smoke in a Tree ;)

PEACE!!!
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    3.29.94 St. Pete, FL
    9.21.12 Pensacola, FL
    11.1.13 New Orleans, LA
    10.14.14 Memphis, TN
    4.13.16 Jacksonville, FL
    EV 11.21.12 Memphis, TN
    EV 11.28.12 Orlando, FL
  • Options
    AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Oh ya...again... :lol:
    Funny how one time it can be one song,next time a different one
    The other day in my truck while driving and Hard Sun came on...no reason,just felt it,next thing I know all weepy :lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    Release for sure, nearly every time i hear it I get choked up. I'm quite sure I've left people with their mouths open in awe of me sitting at stop light singing at at a dedicated volume like nobody is watching with tears streaming down my face,

All those Yesterdays and Given to Fly trip my tear trigger as well.
    Norman, Oklahoma 12-12-1991*Dallas, Texas 11-12-1993*Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 11-23-1993*Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 04-03-2003*(EV) Tulsa, Oklahoma 11-18-2012* Tulsa, OK 10-08-2014
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    MokkihewaMokkihewa Posts: 79
    Yes, I've cried many times because of Pearl Jam songs, but in a relieving and renewing way. It has been a kind of eye opener to me. When I fell for Pearl Jam at first it was because I had lost myself completely and their songs made me come back on the right track. These songs made me cry and still makes me cry, in a good way :) :

1.Indifference: (I will hold the candle - 'Til it burns up my arm)
    2.Garden: (I'll go with my hands bound - Into your garden, garden of stone)
    3.Black: (Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be... yeah... - I know someday you'll have a beautiful life..)
    4.All or None
    5.State of Love and Trust: (And I listen for the voice inside my head - Nothin', I'll do this one myself)
    6.Release

Denmark Copenhagen Forum 10-07-2012
  • Options
    leekstokieleekstokie Stoke-on-Trent - UK Posts: 902
    Release - every time I hear it i get goosebumps, the lyrics are so powerful. First time i got to see Pearl Jam last week in Manchester and they opened with Release, i started to have tears in my eyes. (grown man crying, rather embarrassing)
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • Options
    majkamajka Posts: 3
    maybe 2 or 3 times.. and it was always the same song (last kiss)
  • Options
    BM271849BM271849 Posts: 4
    To Many times to count, and several songs, but BLACK will always be the one , with the best and worst memories of my life!
    Brenda McLaughlin
  • Options
    MisssicMisssic Posts: 4
    o yes...everytime i hear Release...it reminds me of my Mother....the last Time was Amsterdam 2 when PJ played Release, and it was my first PJ show after 20 years of waiting..so i´ve cried a lot that Night
    I´ll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    I have never cried at any concert yet... but PJ in Stockholm almost got me. Tired, exhausted and full with joy I almost began wining at the end of 'Black'.

Who knows what woulda happend if 'Release' had been played... ;)
    Stockholm, Ericsson Globe Arena - Jul 07, 2012
    Stockholm Friends Arena - Jun 28, 2014
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    PatrikJarl wrote:
    I have never cried at any concert yet... but PJ in Stockholm almost got me. Tired, exhausted and full with joy I almost began wining at the end of 'Black'.

Who knows what woulda happend if 'Release' had been played... ;)
    You would cry like a baby... 8-)

Yep, happened to me in Manchester 1... was crying like mad, couldn't believe it :o As soon as I heard the first seconds of Release... crying and shaking, omg... :)
    Also Night 2, Inside Job, which I would NEVER think it would happen, but this song is SO POWERFULL live... I actually had to control myself so I wouldn't start to cry out loud! :o:D
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    I was close to crying a few times this tour, but Comeback during Berlin 2 put me over the edge. We were all in tears.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,846
    On this tour: Release, LBC and both It's OK tags on Daughter.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    StefVGStefVG Posts: 29
    Always when the intro starts (Philip Glass - Metamorphosis II) followed by Long Road.
    Always after Yellow Ledbetter......(=concert ends).
    And its very difficult to keep the eyes dry when hearing PJ now after such a fantastic tour.
    Paris/Antwerp/Dusseldorf/Nijmegen/Werchter/Rotterdam/Manchester/London/
    Dublin/Belfast/London/Nijmegen/Werchter/Toronto 1&2/Ottawa/Hamilton/
    Amsterdam 1&2/Werchter/Berlin 1&2/Stockholm/Oslo/Kopenhagen/NY 1&2/Baltimore/Amsterdam 1&2/Milan/Trieste/Vienna/Berlin/Stockholm/Oslo/Werchter
  • Options
    Come Back always...
    I cried at my 15th PJ show. Bristow 2010...cried like a baby.
    cried just today over "Oh Dear Dad...can you see me now?" But it feels good and bad and strange.
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~