Options

Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    redkeethredkeeth Posts: 123
    Nothing man

I was 18 going away to school and I felt my GF didn't care I was leaving and the lyrics were so perfect for that time in my life. I was driving to southern California from Sacramento thinking. "She don't want him, she don't need him after he's gone into the sun burn burn burn nothin' man...."

Release

My estranged father and I have so much in common yet are not physically close, e is terminally ill and will pass any day month or year soon. He inspired me to love and feel music.

Low light

just because....
    * Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003
    * Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 18, 2006
    * Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009

• Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,002
    Put on the Gorge 05 show while going to sleep last night & somehow i woke up when the Black solo was on then Hard To Imagine finished off the disk i just cried myself back to sleep. It has been a rough year!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    pennylane106pennylane106 Posts: 135
    edited November 2011
    . 'Black', 'I Am Mine' (particularly off Live on Ten Legs), 'Nothingman', and 'All or None' (off Boston 7-11-03)...not to mention every (though few) live performances i've seen to date.

There's nothing like the power of music and especially Pearl Jam's music. We're all really lucky.
    Post edited by pennylane106 on
    'You know time is long, and life is short.
    Begin to live while you still can.'

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.-Gilda Radner
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    Just watched Come Back from the extras features on PJ20, that song still gets me.
  • Options
    The Long Road does it nearly every time. Come Back and Black haven't actually made me cry but there's some gut-wrenching power about them which echoes really deeply.
    Pearl Jam+ Social Distortion, dear God, please make this happen again!!
  • Options
    Well it all depends on my mood at the moment but... I remember a long time ago crying with Garden, Relese and Just Breath.

I guess my life is just a movie and for every Good or Bad moment the soundrack in my head is always a Pearl Jam song :D
    I became insane withlong intervals of horrible sanity... Edgar Allan Poe.
  • Options
    Yees, so many times! When I was 12/13 I had lots of troubles at home and I used to listen to "Alive" and "Footsteps" all the time... I guess I cried everyday listening to these songs, and they are still very important to me. When all the problems got solved I tattooed "Alive" on my lip, maybe I wouldn't be alive now (haha) if it wasn't for their songs (:
    Rio de Janeiro - 06/11/11 - Apoteose <3
  • Options
    Man of the hour is always a good one for that
    no more crowbars to my head
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    when i was watching the pj20 movie the other day, and the footage of roskilde festival, when the scene where the camera flashed to eddie's reaction, i found myself shedding a tear also.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    I've been close a few times but recently, they definitely made me cry. I'm sure a lot of you have already heard about nothingman4's story about the most recent Calgary show but for those of you who haven't, I'm going to regale you:

A few years back, our cousin was killed in an oil rig accident, which shook our family up big time. We all got tattoos in his honour, each of us with different lyrics which reminded us of him. I chose "There's just one thing left to be said, Say hello to Heaven", as Chris Cornell was the last concert I'd seen with Sean. His brother, Ben, picked "We were but stones, your light made us stars" from Light Years.

Anyway, back in September, Mike (nothingman4), my roommate and I were on the patio in Calgary, waiting to go get our TenClub tickets, when Mike McCready walked past. We all ran out to talk to him, got our pictures taken, etc. Before he left, nothingman4 asked McCready if they could play Deep for Sean. He explained the situation of Sean's death and mentioned that there would be a lot of his family in the audience. McCready said he'd see what he could do but couldn't promise anything.

Fast forward to that night and Ed says "Back when we only had 9 songs, we used to play this one a lot but we don't play it much anymore. However, there's a young man out there who wants to hear it. This one's for Sean." and they busted into Deep. I was a wreck.

And THEN after they finished with Deep, completely coincidental, Ed said, "This one's for Sean, too" and they busted into Light Years. I was a blubbering mess. I don't know how that all happened to work out like that, but it did. They definitely made me cry that night.
  • Options
    davidronn wrote:
    And THEN after they finished with Deep, completely coincidental, Ed said, "This one's for Sean, too" and they busted into Light Years. I was a blubbering mess. I don't know how that all happened to work out like that, but it did. They definitely made me cry that night.

Wow that gave me the shivers. Thanks for sharing that story.
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    goosebumps with teary-ish eyes a few times. love the band that much!
  • Options
    Sure, certain musics means a lot to me, we agree in a special way to see the world. Release, Footsteps and Off He Goes made me cry a lot here in Brazil!!!!!
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    yes, too many fucken times lately
  • Options
    The use of "Just Breathe" at the end of PJ20. The film was an emotional rush of feelings and memories for me anyway, and "Just Breathe" was the perfect cherry on top.
  • Options
    I cried last night watching The Fans Are Alright, at the part where Cameron Crowe is reading one fan's story to Eddie and Hard To Imagine starts playing, just beautiful! :cry:
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    I literally just finished watching "The Fans Are Alright" and the first performance after Roskilde when they played It's Okay damn near ruined me.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    davidronn wrote:
    I literally just finished watching "The Fans Are Alright" and the first performance after Roskilde when they played It's Okay damn near ruined me.
    this
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    Lately, whenever I hear "Chloe/Crown of Thorns" and "Nothingman" I start to cry. This has also happened with "Release", "Light Years", and "Man of the Hour", especially the EV solo version.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Too many to count..But the most emberrassing was out fishing in a boat full of guys, I'm the only chick and COME BACK plays on my headphones, I just lost my best friend to Cancer a month earlier. I missed him so much and it was my first outing since his death. I lost it with snot running down my face and everyone was so uncomfortable..luckily they are good friends and forgave me, even invited me again!
    Hearts & thoughts
  • Options
    MJP311MJP311 Posts: 16
    This is all 100% true and from the heart.

I find it really difficult to cry. Just the way I was brought up (raised) probably. Even now. I just bottle shit up and implode after a while.

My Dad died in September 2009, following heart surgery, then my Mum, utterly heartbroken, committed suicide in April 2010. Words can never express....nothing in life can ever prepare you something like that. I'm not looking for sympathy I'm definitely over the worst now. I just want to share with like-minded fans how this wonderful band helped me get through the worst time of my life.

I'll always associate certain Pearl Jam songs with that horrible period in my life. Backspacer came out a few days after my Dad died. But...I wouldn't change a thing. Those songs helped me to express my grief - helped me to cry and really helped me through the grieving process. I used to have a few drinks, wait until everyone went to bed, put on my ipod (I'd a playlist made of the songs which I knew 'worked'), look at old photos and cry my eyes out. It was the only way I could get any kind of release. But it worked and was incredibly therapuetic.

The likes of ''Off he goes' (I was listening to that this morning and was nearly welling up driving to work),the lyrics don't even have to be about loss and grief, but when I hear that now I just see my Dad in his perfectully unkempt clothes, it's just so melancholy and beautiful. 'Nothingman' too...my Dad was nothing to the world...it didn't even bat an eyelid when he died but he was the world to me. 'The End', 'Yellow Ledbetter', 'Just Breathe', and of course 'Release' to name a few others...but the one that was written just for me at that time was of course 'Come Back'. I love that song beyond anything I could ever express here. I so hope they play it when they do Manchester next June. I've never seen them before live and I'm so excited!

Mike
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    When the date for Manchester was two days before the end of school so I can't go!!!! :evil:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I cannot listen to The End without crying. My mother was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma within weeks of Backspacer's release. I took her to see Eddie Vedder in Providence in June and was crying and and holding her hand while listening to him perform this beautiful song. The lyrics are just so incredible and the timing of the release of the song was just unbelievable...

"It’s my fault, now I been caught a sickness in my bones. How it pains to leave you here with the kids on your own. Just don’t let me go. Help me see myself, cause I can no longer tell. Looking out from the inside of the bottom of a well. It’s hell, I yell, but no one hears. Before I disappear, whisper in my ear. Give me something to echo in my unknown futures ear. My dear, The End comes near. I’m here, but not much longer"

This song has helped me to cope with my mother's cancer and helped me to express my grief as well as share in hers. I am grateful to Pearl Jam for once again providing me with the right song at the right time, as they have so many times over their twenty year history. When Ten was released, I was ten years old. Now I am thirty and it is amazing to look back on the band's twenty year history as a backdrop to my own youth and adulthood. We are all grown up now, and still I feel that spiritual connection to Pearl Jam's music, like no other connection that I have ever felt. I know you all understand... Thanks for letting me share, and thanks for the topic.
    September 15, 1998 Mansfield MA/ August 29, 2000 Mansfield, MA/ June 11, 2008 West Palm Beach, FL/ July 2, 2012 Prague, Czech Republic/ July 4, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ July 5, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ September 21, 2012 Pensacola, FL/ July 16, 2013 London, ON, Canada/ July 19, 2013 Chicago, IL/ October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY/ October 25, 2013 Hartford, CT/ November 23, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 24, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 26, 2013 Oakland, CA/ November 29, 2013 Portland, OR/ November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
  • Options
    About six years ago, while I was a senior in high school, i was working late and was held up at knifepoint. The man who committed the crime was a fellow co-worker. A few days later, while I was in school, the detective told me that the robbery had to do with a drug ring that my manager and district manager were running. The news that people I trusted had done such a horrible thing to me tore me apart. I left school that afternoon in bad shape but I was holding myself together. When I got in my truck to leave school I turned on the radio just as Yellow Ledbetter was beginning to play. I cried my eyes out as I was trying to decipher the lyrics and think about what I had just learned. Although the lyrics of that song are up for debate, I clearly heard Mr. Vedder sing the line, "I want to leave it again." This made me think about how bad I wanted to leave everything behind. I though about how all I wanted was to leave these bad people behind. I have never cried that hard in my life and everytime I hear that song the tears start to flow...
    ...We are the victims of desire...
  • Options
    I remember watching an interview with Eddie Vedder and him describing the signifigance to him of "sad songs" and have been trying to track it down.....if anyone could be of some help id appreciate it.
    Thanks
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free"
    - Eddie Vedder