Options

*** LA 3 Fanviews Here 10/06/09 ***

Comments

• Options
    I made the trek down to LA from Seattle for this show... and there is no question in my mind that it was worth it! The venue for the Seattle shows sucked, so it was nice to see PJ in a venue where their sound could be appreciated much more. I could not believe it when Cornell came on stage. I am always a fan of hearing Alive, Once, and Footsteps. That Mr. Cantrell is one sneaky S.O.B. I didn't even notice him on stage at first. Awesome show... I doubt I will forget it anytime soon. Thanks guys.
    "He won the lottery by being born. Big hand slapped a white male American."

Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane and Phoenix 2013
    Vancouver 2011
    LA, Seattle I, Seattle II 2009
    Milan, The Gorge I and The Gorge II 2006
    The Gorge 2005
    Listening since '92
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Heleka7 wrote:
    Is anyone else having trouble processing that last night really happened?

Yep! I woke up the next morning thinking it was the best dream I have ever had...
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    anyone have a straight shot of the band with cornell and jerry from the end of the show

thanks
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    smallgroup.jpg
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    Sea wrote:
    Hunger Strike w/Chris Cornell, Alive w/Jerry Cantrell

Holy. Crap.

You said it. Holy shit I go away for one week and come back to see this setlist WITH these guests. My God, unbelievable.
  • Options
    gerald605gerald605 Posts: 180
    metsfan wrote:
    anyone have a straight shot of the band with cornell and jerry from the end of the show

thanks

I have a couple fairly good high res shots

http://e.gerald605.com/albums/uploads/l ... 00320s.jpg
    http://e.gerald605.com/albums/uploads/l ... 00321s.jpg

not sure if i posted the rest of the shots on this thread but just in case...
    http://e.gerald605.com/thumbnails.php?album=19
    Play Sacramento!
  • Options
    huge thanks to restlesssoul and gerald605. i"ll buy either of you a beer if we are ever at the same concert or pre party.

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Looks like Josh Freese was at this show too!
    http://twitpic.com/kkklf
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    MR37543MR37543 Posts: 46
    Hi everyone, nice to meet you. I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster but not new to the 10C or the forum. I used to post on thee olde Synergy board as vitolochica.

First off, I just wanted to say thank you to the Ten Club. I love you, thanks for taking care of me and spoiling me rotten. :)

It's been six days since this show and I can't stop thinking about it. I've been to a few shows thus far but this show, this show hit my heart like a ton of bricks and made me cry. I think it was the unexpected Seattle reunion or perhaps the sheer joy, love and confidence that this band radiates on stage and shares with the crowd. It was amazing and I am still humbled by the experience. Thank you Pearl Jam. Thank you.
    "I know that I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am mine."
  • Options
    MR37543 wrote:
    Hi everyone, nice to meet you. I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster but not new to the 10C or the forum. I used to post on thee olde Synergy board as vitolochica.

First off, I just wanted to say thank you to the Ten Club. I love you, thanks for taking care of me and spoiling me rotten. :)

It's been six days since this show and I can't stop thinking about it. I've been to a few shows thus far but this show, this show hit my heart like a ton of bricks and made me cry. I think it was the unexpected Seattle reunion or perhaps the sheer joy, love and confidence that this band radiates on stage and shares with the crowd. It was amazing and I am still humbled by the experience. Thank you Pearl Jam. Thank you.

Welcome to the board! Nice review too; I'm very freakin' jealous of all you west coast folks right now :D
  • Options
    A few days after LA3, Roy and I went into his Hollywood studio and I video taped him taking a journey on Amongst The Waves. No rehearsals, pure improvisation. Respect to Stone who wrote such an beautiful melody.

Check it out -- http://bit.ly/Amongst
  • Options
    Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136
    Very nice pics. Love the b&W shots. Thanks for sharing
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • Options
    so pissed I couldn't get my hands on the dodgers shirt. Saw them on ebay but 100 bucks? Hope they will have some up in the store after the tour.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I need this boot
  • Options
    MR37543MR37543 Posts: 46
    Welcome to the board! Nice review too; I'm very freakin' jealous of all you west coast folks right now :D

Thanks for the warm welcome! The band is heading to the East Coast, are you going to see them in Philly? :)
    "I know that I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am mine."
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    U2 Pulled The Plug…Through Pearl Jam I Reconnect

Pearl Jam @ Universal Ampitheatre, Universal City, CA 10/6/09
    Friday, October 9, 2009 at 10:12am

Prior to this show, I had an amazing week back East in New York City, my biological and emotional home. That week, the people who I spent it with, the music we enjoyed, the food that we ate, and the moments that we shared officially became my cumulative best music-related experience. A complete package of sight, sound, company, solitude, new friends and old. Once I returned home to the beautiful land of the Gods, Goddesses, and avocados I took a very long nap and settled in, went about the normal business of the days and damned if it didn’t feel as blunt as a dull knife. WTH? I listened to music, watched the news, went shopping, blah, blah, blah, oh, and I even went to a couple of shows in my normal mode to get my live music jones…but it kind of felt like blunt knife. I enjoyed the shows, sure, but not with the same heady recognition that sounds were entering my body. Not with the same energy, not with the same hunger. It practically took a “Hunger Strike” to identify the problem: I had blown a fuse.

Somehow, some way the massive combination of U2 x 2, Muse x 2, White Lies, Greg Laswell, cupcakes, a British invasion and a white trash engagement party had tripped my switch. So much so that I’ve felt a disconnect emulating depression when all it comes down to the fact that I was suddenly undone and unplugged by so much that was above and beyond my expectations.

3995338859_f5b737a615.jpg

Pearl Jam are my American contemporary to the global U2, as the band and their music have sung for, championed for, protested for, and rocked for generations in various stages of their lives only to still ring significant and germane while others end up with starring roles on “Where Are They Now?” This isn’t so much a review of Wednesday night’s Pearl Jam show at Gibson Ampitheatre (their third in a sold-out line of four) as much as it is an emotional analysis of its heft. Passion and good will are two traits synonymous with the spirit of Pearl Jam and those two things become ever clear as they continually manifest themselves in another quality: unpredictability.

3991036886_b8323706d9.jpg
    The softer side of Pearl Jam

From the unusual opening song “Sometimes” to the abstract fuck-up-edness of their “Jazz Odyssey” (aka transition time to reset the stage) to the fresh and heart swelling “Unthought Unknown” to the likely and unlikely placement of a string quartet to the moment I was reduced to the likes of an adoring, screaming groupie whipped by the band, their performance ferocity, and moments they created just for me...and 5,999 of my closest friends.

3991047946_2c153e285f.jpg
    "Red Mosquito" w/ Ben Harper

Pearl Jam doesn’t need special guests or helping hands in order to thrash out a proper rock show but the music is a family- a brotherhood, if you will- and Pearl Jam’s family has deep and healthy roots . Couple that with the fact that they’re not averse to being party to one of a kind events or random acts of music with friends. (See them back in December 2006 when they said, “Hell yeah, U2, we’ll be your opening band in Hawaii. Good times!”) Friend and opening act Ben Harper had Stone Gossard on his knees when he sat in with his slide guitar on “Red Mosquito”. Harper’s presence is never a surprise but a pleasure, nonetheless. What wound up happening on the Universal Ampitheatre stage was not only a typically balls to the wall high energy PJ show (Even Flow, Do The Evolution, Breakerfall, Save You, Got Some, Johnny Guitar) bolstered by waves of gentle beauty and sing-a-longs (The End, Breathe, Elderly Woman, Faithfull, Off He Goes), but it was one of those shows where you walked (or stumbled depending on how much beer you had) away with a shaking head full of “Did that really just happen?”. Or, if you’re like me, once Eddie Vedder pronounced, “I think sometimes the presence of one man can really change the energy of a show and make it special” and Chris Cornell waltzed out on the stage you completely lost your mind and lapsed into groupie scream. So much so that I announced to my companion for the eve that I totally forgave Cornell for his “Scream”...and I think I meant it. That’s how visceral this was to me and probably to my other 5,999 friends.

3991070822_646ea6cf2c.jpg
    Temple of the Dog 2009....complete with rock & roll hands

And once we saw Cornell’s curly mop we knew “it” was going to happen. “It” hasn’t happened since a one-off performance in Santa Barbara in 2003. “It” was the resurrection of Temple of the Dog (all of its members present and accounted for on that fucking stage) as Cornell and Vedder went back to the basics of rock blues to perform the most precious “Hunger Strike”. Vedder on low with his rich timbre, Cornell on high reaching and crushing those frightening notes. It only got worse (better) as during the anthemic song of survival “AliveMike McCready was handling his business like a pro until he disappeared from the stage. A weird series of guitar chords or two later and out came Alice In Chains guitarist, Jerry Cantrell, strapped with Mike’s guitar and he proceeded to shred the rest of “Alive” into a wonderfully dark and dirty place. The room exploded, brothers in musical arms stood with those arms wrapped around one another and, once again (and finally) I felt that thing inside me swell to the point that it threatened to overflow.

3990304763_4d8f32088d.jpg
    Jerry Cantrell & Jeff Ament post-guitar handoff-"Alive"

3990310171_ce83f35468.jpg
    Brothers in arms

Leave it to Pearl Jam to plug me back in. And for that, I thank them very much.

3991062500_89ce7285fc.jpg

Wait...did I mention that in addition to Chris Cornell, the whole of Soundgarden was in the house (and the backstage)? No lie, I'm not the only one who saw it (paging Firecloud). New Alice in Chains singer William Duvall and his hair....present. Oh, this could mean great things to come...

3990295351_3734d77af8.jpg
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    great article/review/pictures!!!!

it really was special....that feeling when CC walked on stage and we knew we were getting Hunger Strike was electric!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    great article/review/pictures!!!!

it really was special....that feeling when CC walked on stage and we knew we were getting Hunger Strike was electric!
    Amen to that!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    jim rome just had jerry and mike on from aic.
    they killed it.
    jerry told the story about being at the LA show the other night and being blown away by hunger strike and watching alive and havin mccready run over to him during the second solo with a guitar screaming, "just solo in E...SOLO IN E!!"

one of my favorite interviews on rome ever
  • Options
    mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    Cornell and Cantrell as special guests?! You lucky, lucky fuckers!

OMG you lucky ass mother fuckers! Cornell, Cantrell with PJ!!! I saw the youtube videos... just amazing. Words can not do it justice. Yes this will be a very popular boot indeed!
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MEGATRON wrote:
    they killed it.
    jerry told the story about being at the LA show the other night and being blown away by hunger strike and watching alive and havin mccready run over to him during the second solo with a guitar screaming, "just solo in E...SOLO IN E!!"

I need to find that interview.

McCready: "just solo in E...SOLO IN E!!"

Cantrell: :shock:

That's amazing!
    Post edited by dharma69 on

FaceSpace
  • Options
    LA3 and 4 are up for sale!!!!! Got em and they are already in heavy rotation on the iphone. Well worth the wait. Go get 'em guys and gals and enjoy the memories.
  • Options
    surferzsurferz Posts: 54
    It was truly a phenomonal show.
    The LA 2009 Grunge reunion - thank you guys!
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,571
    dharma69 wrote:
    MEGATRON wrote:
    they killed it.

That's amazing!

Did anyone tape that?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,571
    surferz wrote:
    It was truly a phenomonal show.
    The LA 2009 Grunge reunion - thank you guys!

how many of you are posting dude? :lol:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    U2 Pulled The Plug…Through Pearl Jam I Reconnect

Pearl Jam @ Universal Ampitheatre, Universal City, CA 10/6/09
    Friday, October 9, 2009 at 10:12am

Prior to this show, I had an amazing week back East in New York City, my biological and emotional home. That week, the people who I spent it with, the music we enjoyed, the food that we ate, and the moments that we shared officially became my cumulative best music-related experience. A complete package of sight, sound, company, solitude, new friends and old. Once I returned home to the beautiful land of the Gods, Goddesses, and avocados I took a very long nap and settled in, went about the normal business of the days and damned if it didn’t feel as blunt as a dull knife. WTH? I listened to music, watched the news, went shopping, blah, blah, blah, oh, and I even went to a couple of shows in my normal mode to get my live music jones…but it kind of felt like blunt knife. I enjoyed the shows, sure, but not with the same heady recognition that sounds were entering my body. Not with the same energy, not with the same hunger. It practically took a “Hunger Strike” to identify the problem: I had blown a fuse.

Somehow, some way the massive combination of U2 x 2, Muse x 2, White Lies, Greg Laswell, cupcakes, a British invasion and a white trash engagement party had tripped my switch. So much so that I’ve felt a disconnect emulating depression when all it comes down to the fact that I was suddenly undone and unplugged by so much that was above and beyond my expectations.

3995338859_f5b737a615.jpg

Pearl Jam are my American contemporary to the global U2, as the band and their music have sung for, championed for, protested for, and rocked for generations in various stages of their lives only to still ring significant and germane while others end up with starring roles on “Where Are They Now?” This isn’t so much a review of Wednesday night’s Pearl Jam show at Gibson Ampitheatre (their third in a sold-out line of four) as much as it is an emotional analysis of its heft. Passion and good will are two traits synonymous with the spirit of Pearl Jam and those two things become ever clear as they continually manifest themselves in another quality: unpredictability.

3991036886_b8323706d9.jpg
    The softer side of Pearl Jam

From the unusual opening song “Sometimes” to the abstract fuck-up-edness of their “Jazz Odyssey” (aka transition time to reset the stage) to the fresh and heart swelling “Unthought Unknown” to the likely and unlikely placement of a string quartet to the moment I was reduced to the likes of an adoring, screaming groupie whipped by the band, their performance ferocity, and moments they created just for me...and 5,999 of my closest friends.

3991047946_2c153e285f.jpg
    "Red Mosquito" w/ Ben Harper

Pearl Jam doesn’t need special guests or helping hands in order to thrash out a proper rock show but the music is a family- a brotherhood, if you will- and Pearl Jam’s family has deep and healthy roots . Couple that with the fact that they’re not averse to being party to one of a kind events or random acts of music with friends. (See them back in December 2006 when they said, “Hell yeah, U2, we’ll be your opening band in Hawaii. Good times!”) Friend and opening act Ben Harper had Stone Gossard on his knees when he sat in with his slide guitar on “Red Mosquito”. Harper’s presence is never a surprise but a pleasure, nonetheless. What wound up happening on the Universal Ampitheatre stage was not only a typically balls to the wall high energy PJ show (Even Flow, Do The Evolution, Breakerfall, Save You, Got Some, Johnny Guitar) bolstered by waves of gentle beauty and sing-a-longs (The End, Breathe, Elderly Woman, Faithfull, Off He Goes), but it was one of those shows where you walked (or stumbled depending on how much beer you had) away with a shaking head full of “Did that really just happen?”. Or, if you’re like me, once Eddie Vedder pronounced, “I think sometimes the presence of one man can really change the energy of a show and make it special” and Chris Cornell waltzed out on the stage you completely lost your mind and lapsed into groupie scream. So much so that I announced to my companion for the eve that I totally forgave Cornell for his “Scream”...and I think I meant it. That’s how visceral this was to me and probably to my other 5,999 friends.

3991070822_646ea6cf2c.jpg
    Temple of the Dog 2009....complete with rock & roll hands

And once we saw Cornell’s curly mop we knew “it” was going to happen. “It” hasn’t happened since a one-off performance in Santa Barbara in 2003. “It” was the resurrection of Temple of the Dog (all of its members present and accounted for on that fucking stage) as Cornell and Vedder went back to the basics of rock blues to perform the most precious “Hunger Strike”. Vedder on low with his rich timbre, Cornell on high reaching and crushing those frightening notes. It only got worse (better) as during the anthemic song of survival “AliveMike McCready was handling his business like a pro until he disappeared from the stage. A weird series of guitar chords or two later and out came Alice In Chains guitarist, Jerry Cantrell, strapped with Mike’s guitar and he proceeded to shred the rest of “Alive” into a wonderfully dark and dirty place. The room exploded, brothers in musical arms stood with those arms wrapped around one another and, once again (and finally) I felt that thing inside me swell to the point that it threatened to overflow.

3990304763_4d8f32088d.jpg
    Jerry Cantrell & Jeff Ament post-guitar handoff-"Alive"

3990310171_ce83f35468.jpg
    Brothers in arms

Leave it to Pearl Jam to plug me back in. And for that, I thank them very much.

3991062500_89ce7285fc.jpg

Wait...did I mention that in addition to Chris Cornell, the whole of Soundgarden was in the house (and the backstage)? No lie, I'm not the only one who saw it (paging Firecloud). New Alice in Chains singer William Duvall and his hair....present. Oh, this could mean great things to come...

3990295351_3734d77af8.jpg
    this is the best concert review i've ever seen on here.

SOLAT319 wrote:
    dharma69 wrote:
    MEGATRON wrote:
    they killed it.

That's amazing!

Did anyone tape that?
    try jimrome.com or search for it on espn.com

• Options
    I waited for it... and turned it up reeeaaaal loud.... and fuck me! It was incredible. I got chills all over again... to be there when Eddie said Chris' name... i'll never forget it..
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    amazing fotos!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Thanks Metsfan, I appreciate that. If it's good it's because I really meant it. That evening lit me up so much that it almost hurt and I was with someone who was digging it just as much as I was which makes for a complete package.

Wow...I just listened to McCready's solo in Corduroy and DAMN.

FaceSpace