Options

*** LA 3 Fanviews Here 10/06/09 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
edited October 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
October 6, 2009 Universal City, California, Gibson Amphitheater
Opening Band: Ben Harper and Relentless7

Set List: Sometimes, Breakerfall, (Interstellar Overdrive)/Corduroy, Save You, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Got Some, Unthought Known, Faithfull, Even Flow, Unemployable, Daughter, Johnny Guitar, Given To Fly, Off He Goes, Comatose, The Fixer, Do The Evolution

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Lukin w/string quartet, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Jazz Odyssey, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Once, Footsteps, Hunger Strike w/Chris Cornell, Alive w/Jerry Cantrell

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
Thank you :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yes, you read it correctly...

...and our minds were even more blown than yours...

Paraphrasing from Eddie: Sometimes it takes just one person to make something great...Ladies and Gentlemen, Chris Cornell...

And you will buy this boot!

Blew away (I think) the Santa Barbara Bowl performance of Hunger Strike where Chris was not in good voice. He sounded amazing, the band was amazing. Great show made incredible by this...

,,,and at the start of the Alive solo, Mike hands his guitar over to Jerry Cantrell who makes our ears bleed...

Just breathtaking!
  • Options
    WOW - I can't believe what I read on that setlist! Congrat's LA3 - looking forward to reading the posts and for my two tickets to LA4 - the closer!
    AW
  • Options
    Did I mention I need one for LA4???
    They can do anything and now is not the time to miss a show. I Will get crazy with you...buy you beers...sing every word of every song (but my voice is shot from the first three LA shows so you won't be able to hear my awful voice :))...thoffman@mvfinc.com if you got an extra...

Before Chris Cornell made us lose our collective breath, Faithful was such a highlight as was Unemployable. They're playing enough hits for my wife to enjoy her second LA show (Corduroy, EWBTIAST, Daughter, Once, Alive--the walk to the car explained the mamason trilogy that we got)...and enough for the diehards to enjoy. FOOT FREAKIN' STEPS!

While I could do without the same 1st encore, Just Breathe, The End and Red Mosquito (with Senor Ben) are so special at the Universal Amphitheater, that it would be a shame to waste the opportunity to hear it again and again--because we won't get to hear it like this on the 2012 tour (fingers crossed!)
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,333
    Well, that was one hell of a second encore, that's for sure. I almost expected them to bring out Kurt Cobain for the third encore.

The setlist read:

HUNGER W/ ?

The only way it could have been better would have been for Chris Cornell to come out during "Footsteps" and have it morph into "Times Of Trouble" and then go into "Hunger Strike." Next time.

Highlights of the main set included a pitch-perfect "Breakerfall" and "Yield" stalwarts "Given To Fly" and "Do The Evolution." "Rearviewmirror" was even better than usual, a little different on the stretched-out part and shorter and tighter on the freakout finish. "Comatose" was phenomenal-- two minutes of primal rock.

I didn't notice this the other night, but "Jazz Odyssey" actually sounds a fair bit like the tuning-up intro to "Last Exit" on the "Vitalogy" record.

Even though the second encore was special, this show was not quite on the level of the first two L.A. shows, in my opinion, which admittedly may not be skewed because I was in the 11th and 13th rows for the first two shows and way up in about the 50th row in the middle of a dead zone of contemplative fans tonight. I don't usually pay that much attention to what the rest of the crowd is doing, but it was hard not to notice tonight. A lot of raised hands in the front, not so much in the back. I have never seen as many people head for the exits for bathroom and beverage breaks as when they went into "Unemployable." I was sitting on the aisle and it was a mass exodus. It was funny to see many of these same folks scrambling back when the next song was "Daughter."

The main set was solid, and the second encore was, as already mentioned, special. But, as good as "Just Breathe" and "The End" sound with the strings (and "The End" just sounds better and better), the first encore has become very predictable. Even "Lukin" with strings has become part of the routine.

I will be interested to hear what others who weren't in the dead zone have to say about this show.

Show started at 8:43 p.m., and ended at 10:47 p.m. Home at 11:06 p.m.-- gotta love Gibson!
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    Sea wrote:
    Hunger Strike w/Chris Cornell, Alive w/Jerry Cantrell

Holy. Crap.
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    Thanks 10club, glad this was my one show I used them for.

AMAZING, and we get to do it tomorrow night one more time. PJ should play two shows every week in L.A. until it falls off into the ocean.
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited October 2009
    That was one of the greatest rock shows of all time. That alone was worth the price of the ticket from Australia. Incredible show, HUNGER STRIKE!!!!! Amazing audience response to everything - I have some great pics I'll check out soon!

I don't know how they are going to top that tomorrow night but I'll be there to see them try!

I was 10C - Orc 5 Row EE Seat 5 and from where I was the whole crowd were going off.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Pearl FUCKING Jam!!!
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,333
    One more thing: while Jerry Cantrell banged out the "Alive" solo, Mike walked around pulling up the setlists and handing them out to fans.

And thanks to the guy in front of me in Section 11 who sat for the entire show, giving me a clear line of sight to the stage.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    scottbirdscottbird Posts: 132
    Wow, awesome guests, will we get the Boss in Philly?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Wow...Luckies! Anxiously awaiting the youtube vid.....

small gripe.......of all the great s/t songs, unemployable is not one of them and is making too many set appearances. :)
  • Options
    Holy Fuck. What do i say to that...? It sounded so good. I was 8 rows back, on Mike's side...

Amazing. A part of history.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 502
    BF25394 wrote:
    Well, that was one hell of a second encore, that's for sure. I almost expected them to bring out Kurt Cobain for the third encore.

The setlist read:

HUNGER W/ ?

The only way it could have been better would have been for Chris Cornell to come out during "Footsteps" and have it morph into "Times Of Trouble" and then go into "Hunger Strike." Next time.

Highlights of the main set included a pitch-perfect "Breakerfall" and "Yield" stalwarts "Given To Fly" and "Do The Evolution." "Rearviewmirror" was even better than usual, a little different on the stretched-out part and shorter and tighter on the freakout finish. "Comatose" was phenomenal-- two minutes of primal rock.

I didn't notice this the other night, but "Jazz Odyssey" actually sounds a fair bit like the tuning-up intro to "Last Exit" on the "Vitalogy" record.

Even though the second encore was special, this show was not quite on the level of the first two L.A. shows, in my opinion, which admittedly may not be skewed because I was in the 11th and 13th rows for the first two shows and way up in about the 50th row in the middle of a dead zone of contemplative fans tonight. I don't usually pay that much attention to what the rest of the crowd is doing, but it was hard not to notice tonight. A lot of raised hands in the front, not so much in the back. I have never seen as many people head for the exits for bathroom and beverage breaks as when they went into "Unemployable." I was sitting on the aisle and it was a mass exodus. It was funny to see many of these same folks scrambling back when the next song was "Daughter."

The main set was solid, and the second encore was, as already mentioned, special. But, as good as "Just Breathe" and "The End" sound with the strings (and "The End" just sounds better and better), the first encore has become very predictable. Even "Lukin" with strings has become part of the routine.

I will be interested to hear what others who weren't in the dead zone have to say about this show.

Show started at 8:43 p.m., and ended at 10:47 p.m. Home at 11:06 p.m.-- gotta love Gibson!

Agree with this review 100%. Very solid show with a tremendous second encore. Footsteps followed by Hunger Strike was amazing. Second time for me seeing Cornell since I was at SB in '03. I was much closer to the stage than the writer of the above review, about 10 rows back on Mike's side after being 2nd and 4th row the first two nights. Very energetic performance.

Crowd was definitely into it close to the stage but there was a very un-Pearl Jam like number of repeats from the second show. I thought it was quite odd that Evolution, Daughter, GTF, Once, etc were all played again. Just Breathe and The End are fabulous beyond words so I understand them being played every night, after all they are on the new album but I def think they also should have Ben play a different song than Red Mosquito on some of these nights. Indifference would be real nice. Hopefully tomorrow's show will be totally different.

So far IMO I think the second night was best by far.
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    Wow! Chris Cornell and Jerry Cantrell!!!!! this was AWESOME Thank You Chris and Sam for helping get my ticket!!! You Guys Rock!!!! :D
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited October 2009
    Let's call it the Times of Trouble Quadology, that way the next time Once, Footsteps, Hunger Strike with all the members of Temple of the Dog, and then Alive are played back, to back, to back, to back, we will know what we are getting. ;)8-):mrgreen:

Great show. Energy was between night 1 and night 2 until Chris Cornell came out, then the roof exploded off.

It was permagrin, weak in the knees, laughing like a lunatic time. (Pretty much the same thing that happened to me at Santa Barbara 03).

Sometimes was an awesome opener. Something different and really set up for a great night with a bunch of interesting and great choices.

Breakerfall, Faithfull, Johnny Guitar, Unemployable, Comotose and Off he goes were other highlights from the main set. The Fixer sounded better than ever, and Got Some was also off the hook. I've been slowly moving up from Lodge N, to Orch 5 JJ, to tonight with fucking ridiculous seats, Orch 3 BB. 11 rows from the stage and 2 back in the center Orch.

Thanks to Kat(Edit, not that Kat) for the hookup. Our seats will only be better tomorrow if we hit the lottery. Although I felt like I already hit with all the good things that have happened at LA 1, 2, and 3.
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
    When sitting in the message pit watching setlists, the main set and 1st encore would seem plain vanilla. I was in GG on Mike's side. GG is 7 rows up from the pit which was eye level to the band. Amazing perspective. The band played with all engines firing. The show was amazing. So the plain vanilla was really the richest, best vanilla anyone could imagine. The 2nd encore had the toppings. That was when I knew I was witnessing something special. Cornell looked like Howard Stern standing there with long hair towering over the rest of the band. He sounded great. The whole thing was great. That was it for me. My one show. Was awesome!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Heleka7Heleka7 Posts: 66
    Can't believe I was there!!!!
    annoying part...crazy rave dancing chick in the aisle next to me.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    Wow...Luckies! Anxiously awaiting the youtube vid.....

small gripe.......of all the great s/t songs, unemployable is not one of them and is making too many set appearances. :)

I don't know about that-- I fucking LOVE Unemployable. By far my favorite song from the last album.

Anyways, opinions are opinions.

By the way, sick show. I was there. Unbelievable.
    2013: Baltimore, Los Angeles (1&2), Seattle
    2009: Los Angeles (1,2,3,4)
    2008: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2003: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2000: Maryland
    1998: Washington, DC
  • Options
    chidoonechidoone Posts: 327
    Oh my god!! I just can't believe it... Congratulations LA the second encore is just unbelievable.... Cornell and Cantrell.... can't wait to have this bootleg!!!!!!
  • Options
    im uploading the "hunger Strike" on Youtube right now....search HM3Hernandez
  • Options
    Any post of Hunger Strike ?

Cmon people you can make our days !!
  • Options

Cheers mate !
  • Options
    chidoone wrote:

Cheers mate !

I just watch it Cornell voice sounds amazing !!! Thanks again for sharing now I can go to work with a smile on my face
  • Options
    tcarr11tcarr11 Posts: 33
    I still can't believe I was at this show!!!! That was FUCKING AMAZING!!!! I have never had the pleasure to see Hunger Strike...I am still shaking. Wow wow wow...what will tomorrow hold???

I am such a fan of the Yield album and all the tracks rocked tonight! And I've never heard Rearview rock so hard!!

I was in Lodge, but had LAME people around me...oh well at least I rocked it and can't wait for tomorrow!

Peace!
    LA - 98 (2), 2000, 2009 (4)
    Bridge School - 99, 2001, 2003
    San Bernadino - 2000
    RAC - 2002
    ATP - 2002 "speed thrash ukulele"
    Astoria!!!, London - 2006
    Perth, Australia - 2009
  • Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I got chills seeing thar.
    96: 10-2 Hartford
    03: 7-11 Mansfield 3
    04: 9-28 Boston 1
    08: 6-28 Mansfield 1
    09: 10-30 Philly 3, 10-31 Philly 4
    10: 5-15 Hartford, 5-17 Boston
    11: 9-3 Alpine Valley, 9-4 Alpine Valley
    13: 10-15 Worcester 1, 10-16 Worcester 2, 10-25 Hartford
    16: 4-29 Philly 2, 5-1 MSG 1, 8-5 Fenway 1, 8-7 Fenway 2
    18: 9-2 Fenway 1, 9-4 Fenway 2
    21: 9-26 Ohana
    22: 5-6 LA, 5-7 LA, 5-16 Fresno
    EV SOLO: 8-2-08 Boston 2, 6-8-09 Albany 1, 6-15-11 Providence, 6-16-11 Boston, 6-18-11 Hartford, 11-1-12 Las Vegas
    Tres Mts: 3-27-11 Boston
  • Options
    Heleka7Heleka7 Posts: 66
    That had to be the best version of Rearviewmirror EVER!!! Still can't believe I was there.
  • Options
    tcarr11 wrote:
    I still can't believe I was at this show!!!! That was FUCKING AMAZING!!!! I have never had the pleasure to see Hunger Strike...I am still shaking. Wow wow wow...what will tomorrow hold???

I am such a fan of the Yield album and all the tracks rocked tonight! And I've never heard Rearview rock so hard!!

I was in Lodge, but had LAME people around me...oh well at least I rocked it and can't wait for tomorrow!

Peace!

who sold you a ticket in such a lame section? ; )
  • Options
    Footsteps live!!!!!!!! ENJOY!!!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D86Vh-QF5_Q
  • Options
    wow. wow. wow.

I was at LA2, in my 10c seats, and that show blew my mind. This time, in the Loge section, I thought I might feel a bit of a letdown, but the opening set of songs took care of that! Sometimes, Breakerfall... SO pumped to hear Faithful, and then got a tear in my eye during Off He Goes. I know, I'm a softy.

I thought the encores were going to be a little less exciting, since they seemed to be following the same script as LA 2 had been, but then Eddie busted out the harmonica, and since they had just played Once, I figured it was going to be Footsteps, and I was STOKED. Of course, I would have been pumped if it was Smile, too, as that's one of my favorites, but you can't beat the trilogy...

And then when Ed said something about it being a special night because of someone in attendance, I figured he was going to point out a family member, or an old friend, or something - and then he said Chris Cornell... !!! The place went apesh*t, I got chills all over the place, and then Hunger Strike just absolutely slayed the room.

I had not been sure about buying a poster at first, but after that... wow... AND after freaking Jerry Cantrell showed up to shred on Alive, I knew it was a once-in-a-blue-moon kinda show, so I bought the damn poster!
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    Wow! Chris Cornell and Jerry Cantrell!!!!! this was AWESOME Thank You Chris and Sam for helping get my ticket!!! You Guys Rock!!!! :D

You're welcome my friend. See you tomorrow!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC