Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    why oh why did igby have to wake me up 15 minutes early?
    also, wow - not sure why i checked in this morning for the first time in years - and quite surprised to see this thread on page one, and actually still recognize a few names here!
    hello all!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    ^^^Wonderful to see you, D2D!!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    SD48277 said:

^^^Wonderful to see you, D2D!!

yup!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095

why oh why did igby have to wake me up 15 minutes early?
    also, wow - not sure why i checked in this morning for the first time in years - and quite surprised to see this thread on page one, and actually still recognize a few names here!
    hello all!

Welcome back!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Anyone fancy helping with a name that tune challenge?

The competition is called 'stripped back' and they started off by just playing the guitar bit of a song, they've since added drums and still nobody has gotten it.

You'll find it at 8.07am on Morning Glory with Dee and Marty at the link below. Help! To me it sounds a little ZZ-Top, definitely some kind of classic rock I think....

http://www.nova.ie/listen-back/thursday/
  • Options
    I need to put away my Halloween stuff. Boo!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Sprunkn7 said:

I need to put away my Halloween stuff. Boo!

I know someone who keeps it up all year. Her house is just Halloween themed. See, you don't have to put it up unless you really wanna.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    Another Chinook, I can feel it.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    discipline is still discipline and is acceptable if told it was meant for it..... :wings:
  • Options
    oh and if given permission to do so,, very important how you ask and if your told,, two very different things,, if your told well good then ask how you can and if you can your way or then asked how you should be told how to do so..
  • Options
    wondering whats wrong in my gut. def something is off
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Why do we refer to every country south of the US as Latin America despite no one speaks Latin?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Tonight pj party in fucking buenos aires..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Jason P said:

Why do we refer to every country south of the US as Latin America despite no one speaks Latin?

People are geographically ignorant...?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    23scidoo said:

Tonight pj party in fucking buenos aires..

Have a fantastic time!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    The weekend is almost here. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Do Americans use that term 'Latin America'. I don't think Europeans use it
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Jason P said:

No one uses that phrase except PJ.
    I think it's because saying "South America and Mexico" was too much. :lol:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    ldent42 said:

Jason P said:

Well I know Americans use the phrase 'Latinos', seemingly to refer to people of such nationalities, so there must be some origin to it. Seems fairly erroneous though it is acknowledged in OED

OED: Latin America: those countries in Central and South America in which Spanish or Portuguese is the dominant language collectively

Latin: Used as a designation for the European peoples which speak languages descended from Latin; often with implication of the erroneous notion that these peoples are of Roman descent. Also ellipt. for Latin American.
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options

ldent42 said:

Jason P said:

Well I know Americans use the phrase 'Latinos', seemingly to refer to people of such nationalities, so there must be some origin to it. Seems fairly erroneous though it is acknowledged in OED

OED: Latin America: those countries in Central and South America in which Spanish or Portuguese is the dominant language collectively

Latin: Used as a designation for the European peoples which speak languages descended from Latin; often with implication of the erroneous notion that these peoples are of Roman descent. Also ellipt. for Latin American.
    Sorry hun I was just being funny. Yes, most of the people from Spanish speaking countries south of the US identify as Latinos. Tbh I've never heard of Brazilians identifying as Latino but I guess maybe. I was trying to avoid whitesplaining it though since there's plenty of people who know better than me lol.
    I don't think Americans use three phrase Latino. They call everyone Mexicans. :lol: (JOKE)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Jason P said:

Sorry hun I was just being funny. Yes, most of the people from Spanish speaking countries south of the US identify as Latinos. Tbh I've never heard of Brazilians identifying as Latino but I guess maybe. I was trying to avoid whitesplaining it though since there's plenty of people who know better than me lol.
    I don't think Americans use three phrase Latino. They call everyone Mexicans. :lol: (JOKE)
    Well I never know what to believe as Americans and Europeans tend to see the world very differently ;)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Yeah, it's simply because the languages spoken are derived from Latin. The "romance languages". It's appropriate IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, it's simply because the languages spoken are derived from Latin. The "romance languages". It's appropriate IMO.

Ah but so are Italian and many other languages, are people of such nationalities also to be referred to as Latino? Latin America makes sense to a point but Latino is pushing it a bit :) Guess it doesn't really matter, just a curiosity
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Ah but so are Italian and many other languages, are people of such nationalities also to be referred to as Latino? Latin America makes sense to a point but Latino is pushing it a bit :) Guess it doesn't really matter, just a curiosity
    Yeah, of course other languages are too. I don't think that makes any difference. There are different terms used to encapsulate all kinds of groups of people based on various factors. Nothing wrong with that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I hope there's no family conflict drama at my grandpa's funeral.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Just got my tickets to Star Wars. The dean and I requested off that day to go see it. Boom!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I hope there's no family conflict drama at my grandpa's funeral.

i have one of those families just great isnt it
  • Options

Just got my tickets to Star Wars. The dean and I requested off that day to go see it. Boom!!

did you hear about the guy who was terminally ill and was sad bc he would not make the release of the film to see it ??
    well they did a special screening just for him.. i thought that was sweet..
  • Options
    wineday Friday!
  • Options

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Jason P said:

Well I never know what to believe as Americans and Europeans tend to see the world very differently ;)
    Um ok not sure what that's supposed to mean but someone from Colombia calling themselves Latino is the same thing as someone from Italy calling themselves European. Like no one calls themselves south American or north American or central American. You can be Colombian and Latino just like you can be Italian and European. That's all.
    I really do think PJ just used that phrase to avoid "....And Mexico"