Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I don't feel like cooking
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Jason P said:

Why do we refer to every country south of the US as Latin America despite no one speaks Latin?

Do Americans use that term 'Latin America'. I don't think Europeans use it
    No one uses that phrase except PJ.
    I think it's because saying "South America and Mexico" was too much. :lol:
    Well I know Americans use the phrase 'Latinos', seemingly to refer to people of such nationalities, so there must be some origin to it. Seems fairly erroneous though it is acknowledged in OED

OED: Latin America: those countries in Central and South America in which Spanish or Portuguese is the dominant language collectively

Latin: Used as a designation for the European peoples which speak languages descended from Latin; often with implication of the erroneous notion that these peoples are of Roman descent. Also ellipt. for Latin American.
    Sorry hun I was just being funny. Yes, most of the people from Spanish speaking countries south of the US identify as Latinos. Tbh I've never heard of Brazilians identifying as Latino but I guess maybe. I was trying to avoid whitesplaining it though since there's plenty of people who know better than me lol.
    I don't think Americans use three phrase Latino. They call everyone Mexicans. :lol: (JOKE)
    Well I never know what to believe as Americans and Europeans tend to see the world very differently ;)
    Um ok not sure what that's supposed to mean but someone from Colombia calling themselves Latino is the same thing as someone from Italy calling themselves European. Like no one calls themselves south American or north American or central American. You can be Colombian and Latino just like you can be Italian and European. That's all.
    I really do think PJ just used that phrase to avoid "....And Mexico"
    Ah you see I thought Latino was a word used by Americans for people from those countries, not by the people themselves, hence the confusion!
  • Options
    after reading some of these posts all I can think of is one of my friends who people commonly refer to as Oriental....he always tells them "I am Not A Rug!"

Carry on with the South American stuff....
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Pleas stop with the holiday music and what not...it isn't even turkey day.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

after reading some of these posts all I can think of is one of my friends who people commonly refer to as Oriental....he always tells them "I am Not A Rug!"

Nah I'm out, I've no clue what I'm talking about at this point :)
  • Options

Sprunkn7 said:

'Oriental' is actually considered derogatory when you are talking about people. Similar to when people call Native Americans 'Indian/Injun/Redskin'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    RKCNDY said:

Sprunkn7 said:

'Oriental' is actually considered derogatory when you are talking about people. Similar to when people call Native Americans 'Indian/Injun/Redskin'
    Back in the day, The Real World Season 2 taught me, "Oriental are rugs, Asian are people." I've never forgotten that. I'm Polish. Do you know how many jokes I hear?
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I'm a Slovak so I hear ya.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

I'm a Slovak so I hear ya.

Nothing beats being Irish and being mistaken for English!
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    things mums been lovingly told shared to me and things my friend mary has warned someone and they overlooked it, thinking they know better, oh well theres always the hard way to learn if you want to take that route but dont expect me to care
  • Options
    Oradour-sur-Glane
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Jason P said:

Why do we refer to every country south of the US as Latin America despite no one speaks Latin?

Do Americans use that term 'Latin America'. I don't think Europeans use it
    No one uses that phrase except PJ.
    I think it's because saying "South America and Mexico" was too much. :lol:
    Well I know Americans use the phrase 'Latinos', seemingly to refer to people of such nationalities, so there must be some origin to it. Seems fairly erroneous though it is acknowledged in OED

OED: Latin America: those countries in Central and South America in which Spanish or Portuguese is the dominant language collectively

Latin: Used as a designation for the European peoples which speak languages descended from Latin; often with implication of the erroneous notion that these peoples are of Roman descent. Also ellipt. for Latin American.
    Sorry hun I was just being funny. Yes, most of the people from Spanish speaking countries south of the US identify as Latinos. Tbh I've never heard of Brazilians identifying as Latino but I guess maybe. I was trying to avoid whitesplaining it though since there's plenty of people who know better than me lol.
    I don't think Americans use three phrase Latino. They call everyone Mexicans. :lol: (JOKE)
    Well I never know what to believe as Americans and Europeans tend to see the world very differently ;)
    Um ok not sure what that's supposed to mean but someone from Colombia calling themselves Latino is the same thing as someone from Italy calling themselves European. Like no one calls themselves south American or north American or central American. You can be Colombian and Latino just like you can be Italian and European. That's all.
    I really do think PJ just used that phrase to avoid "....And Mexico"
    Ah you see I thought Latino was a word used by Americans for people from those countries, not by the people themselves, hence the confusion!
    I guess you missed my Mexican joke lol.

I'm watching tv and it's set in a coffee shop and now in craving pastries :disappointed:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Can't wait to meet my mom's cousins who neither of us have seen in years this weekend.
  • Options
    cheated on my boyfriend with 7 different guys ''several times'' one being his friend also and also another being his cousin i couldnt care less bc he was a jerk and one guy i left him for started to be like him so i left him as well straight away but luckily my last love wasnt like that and we we're happy the thought makes me puke when i see signs of him but one can find out the hard way if one likes and i have no reason to lie about this no reason at all instead take heed bc your doing it all wrong and yes im distracted totally and only holding on to the past memories of a different time
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

cheated on my boyfriend with 7 different guys ''several times'' one being his friend also and also another being his cousin i couldnt care less bc he was a jerk and one guy i left him for started to be like him so i left him as well straight away but luckily my last love wasnt like that and we we're happy the thought makes me puke when i see signs of him but one can find out the hard way if one likes and i have no reason to lie about this no reason at all instead take heed bc your doing it all wrong and yes im distracted totally and only holding on to the past memories of a different time

Whoa...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,499
    Last night was great, tonight is the night..VAMOS..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Christmas and my holiday vacation
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    I'm being wayyyy to nice and I'm getting hosed. I don't like it one bit.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

JWPearl said:

Whoa...
    +1
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

If your boyfriend was a 'jerk', surely you should have just left him rather than cheating on him with 7 different guys, if you want to be the better person?
  • Options

JWPearl said:

If your boyfriend was a 'jerk', surely you should have just left him rather than cheating on him with 7 different guys, if you want to be the better person?
    i didnt see that as an option at the time
    was hoping hed change and i was only 15-21 when i was with him
    was still a child when i met him
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

JWPearl said:

Fair enough, I've never even been in a relationship so I guess I'm not really in a position to comment on anyone else's anyway :)
  • Options

JWPearl said:

JWPearl said:

Fair enough, I've never even been in a relationship so I guess I'm not really in a position to comment on anyone else's anyway :)
    sorry to hear that obviously you know what you want or you probably just need to get out more
    and if your shy you need to be a little more daring perhaps
    but i dont know just assuming..
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    How smelly my daughters poopy diaper is.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

JWPearl said:

JWPearl said:

sorry to hear that obviously you know what you want or you probably just need to get out more
    and if your shy you need to be a little more daring perhaps
    but i dont know just assuming..
    Yeah I think I'm a lost cause at this point :p
  • Options
    no your not.. you just need to put more effort bc your perfect match is probably just as reserved as you, so its difficult but i still think you have hope jn..
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

no your not.. you just need to put more effort bc your perfect match is probably just as reserved as you, so its difficult but i still think you have hope jn..

Cheers :)
  • Options
    no worries jn
    i remember you saying that you were the girl
    next to the bride, the tall one
    nice slim figure, tall, not ugly, nice person
    by what ive read
    theres just not too many nice people around
    for nice people like you anymore but you will find
    the needle in the haystack..
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

no worries jn
    i remember you saying that you were the girl
    next to the bride, the tall one
    nice slim figure, tall, not ugly, nice person
    by what ive read
    theres just not too many nice people around
    for nice people like you anymore but you will find
    the needle in the haystack..

Guess you've got to have hope!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,499
    No Release again, but its ok..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..