what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    Good for you for checking.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,624

imalive said:

this is on my mind in respect to the perceived "clique" thing (which I don't believe exists).....

don't assume any thread is a clique thing....join in...and,if for some reason, you aren't "engaged," move on.

there is a super duper old timer here who doesn't seem to like me much....they never post in any thread I've started and if I post in one of "their" threads, they always ignore me.....whatever....I don't lose a lot of sleep over feeling left out.

I'm cool with just about anyone in the AET.....MT is a whole nother kettle of fish and, for that reason, I rarely venture into its treacherous waters!

there is a clique. does it bother me? no. it didn't bother me in real life in high school. it doesn't bother me as an adult on the internet.

one dude on here who is everyone's fave constantly says harsh shit to me. don't know why. don't really care. I assume it's because I'm not in the "group". have your group. the "in" crowd on the internet is kind of sad, in my opinion. I'm nice to everyone equally. or at least I try to be. some just feel they are better than others. and let them. it's their problem.

I need a name! :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    81 Oh wait . . . . . that's a number ;)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

An Open Letter to Kat (and Sea, and the other mods, whoever you might be):

When I got back from work today, I found out that whispering hands had been banned. I don't come to the site while at work; if I did, I'd never get anything done. So I didn't see any of this unfold in real time, and it may be that I've missed some posts that have been deleted; I'm sure I've missed some PMs behind the scenes.

I understand that you do a difficult job. I've never been a site moderator, but I live with someone who has been a mod on two different forums, and I can see the job is the very definition of "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

I've read WH's comments in this thread, and I agree that they come across very badly. I'm not really surprised she got banned for them. However, I'm not sure that she intended them to read quite as they sound. WH loves animals, and I think the animal metaphor came naturally to her without her really thinking through how disrespectful it sounded. I think she was suggesting that you mods have dealt with a lot over the years and might be fed up with dealing with juvenile behaviour.

Although I don't know her personally, I do know that whispering hands is a passionate, outspoken person who wears her heart on her sleeve. She has been honest on the forum about having problems with anger. I remember her posts the day she was fired from her job at the factory - from the story she told us, I believe that profanity was freely dispensed, tools were thrown, and a few unwise personal comments were made. She recognized that her anger had gotten the best of her, and vowed to do better in the future. Life is a learning process and I'm sure if she gets another chance to return to the forum she will try to manage it better here, too. I would ask that you consider giving her another chance. or the forum will be poorer for it.

From behind these bars I still read her post as a direct disguised insult.
    Well, you could be right. I really don't know. I just think there's a chance it was something else.

PS - I never sense there is a clique, although in wouldn't know - I've always been oblivious to that kind of thing... There is a shitload of random derailing going on lately though, and I think it's been disengaging a lot of people from some threads, which is something that Kat mentioned - the chat room comment - that rang true to me.
    if someone were to say, for example, "I'm looking for a good inspirational book" that thread should NOT get derailed......but if it's thread about nothing, like an episode of Seinfeld, I don't see how you can derail it.....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

So.... I'm annoyed at Starbucks. They got me all excited about adding coconut milk as an option. I love coconut milk for its taste and many health benefits and like to vary what I eat so appreciate options. Then I asked to read the label. Cane sugar. Grrr

to piggyback on to this.
    I have started to boycott Starbucks.
    I used to go there almost every weekday for coffee.
    I drink mine iced/black but with no ice. simple enough- huge profit at $2.40 for the tall.
    last time I ordered it they told me they had to charge extra for no ice.... WTF?
    no way am I supporting that shit.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    that's like paying more for salt free soup.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    imalive said:

PJ_Soul said:

When I got back from work today, I found out that whispering hands had been banned. I don't come to the site while at work; if I did, I'd never get anything done. So I didn't see any of this unfold in real time, and it may be that I've missed some posts that have been deleted; I'm sure I've missed some PMs behind the scenes.

I understand that you do a difficult job. I've never been a site moderator, but I live with someone who has been a mod on two different forums, and I can see the job is the very definition of "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

I've read WH's comments in this thread, and I agree that they come across very badly. I'm not really surprised she got banned for them. However, I'm not sure that she intended them to read quite as they sound. WH loves animals, and I think the animal metaphor came naturally to her without her really thinking through how disrespectful it sounded. I think she was suggesting that you mods have dealt with a lot over the years and might be fed up with dealing with juvenile behaviour.

Although I don't know her personally, I do know that whispering hands is a passionate, outspoken person who wears her heart on her sleeve. She has been honest on the forum about having problems with anger. I remember her posts the day she was fired from her job at the factory - from the story she told us, I believe that profanity was freely dispensed, tools were thrown, and a few unwise personal comments were made. She recognized that her anger had gotten the best of her, and vowed to do better in the future. Life is a learning process and I'm sure if she gets another chance to return to the forum she will try to manage it better here, too. I would ask that you consider giving her another chance. or the forum will be poorer for it.

Well, you could be right. I really don't know. I just think there's a chance it was something else.

PS - I never sense there is a clique, although in wouldn't know - I've always been oblivious to that kind of thing... There is a shitload of random derailing going on lately though, and I think it's been disengaging a lot of people from some threads, which is something that Kat mentioned - the chat room comment - that rang true to me.
    if someone were to say, for example, "I'm looking for a good inspirational book" that thread should NOT get derailed......but if it's thread about nothing, like an episode of Seinfeld, I don't see how you can derail it.....

I think the threads about nothing were the best in awhile. Things never got stale. It's not a clique thing. Chime in w/ your thoughts and roll with it
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    imalive said:

that's like paying more for salt free soup.

yeah, it's BS.
    technically I am getting more coffee but really???
    how much is that costing starfux
    and I hate watered down coffee.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

imalive said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think the threads about nothing were the best in awhile. Things never got stale. It's not a clique thing. Chime in w/ your thoughts and roll with it
    Everyone is invited!!!!
    just don't be a @******

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I'm thinking i'm giving up too much of my free time to a 'hobby' that causes me more stress than anything else in my life
  • Options

I'm thinking i'm giving up too much of my free time to a 'hobby' that causes me more stress than anything else in my life

what is your "hobby"?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Badminton, but played at a level that makes it a bit more than a hobby
  • Options

Badminton, but played at a level that makes it a bit more than a hobby

I never played badminton at anything higher than the "barefoot, beer in other hand" level.

I also never knew there was an "n" in the middle of badminton.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    So you pronounced it bad - mitten? :p
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,033

LOL!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243

imalive said:

PJ_Soul said:

Agreed. Completely random, completely funny. People could/can post as much or as little as they wanted.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options

LOL!

:rofl:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    SD48277 said:

LOL!

:rofl:
    Yep, I :rofl:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

imalive said:

this is on my mind in respect to the perceived "clique" thing (which I don't believe exists).....

don't assume any thread is a clique thing....join in...and,if for some reason, you aren't "engaged," move on.

there is a super duper old timer here who doesn't seem to like me much....they never post in any thread I've started and if I post in one of "their" threads, they always ignore me.....whatever....I don't lose a lot of sleep over feeling left out.

I'm cool with just about anyone in the AET.....MT is a whole nother kettle of fish and, for that reason, I rarely venture into its treacherous waters!

there is a clique. does it bother me? no. it didn't bother me in real life in high school. it doesn't bother me as an adult on the internet.

one dude on here who is everyone's fave constantly says harsh shit to me. don't know why. don't really care. I assume it's because I'm not in the "group". have your group. the "in" crowd on the internet is kind of sad, in my opinion. I'm nice to everyone equally. or at least I try to be. some just feel they are better than others. and let them. it's their problem.

There are cliques everywhere. Whatever, some people don't think there is, but they don't see everything that goes on in every single thread. I know some people don't like me either, they've said really shitty stuff to me out in the open, so I just clicked the 'foe' button.

I really miss that button, and I just ignore the people that I know I should stay away from.

The forum and internet are what you make of it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

There are cliques everywhere. Whatever, some people don't think there is, but they don't see everything that goes on in every single thread. I know some people don't like me either, they've said really shitty stuff to me out in the open, so I just clicked the 'foe' button.

I really miss that button, and I just ignore the people that I know I should stay away from.

The forum and internet are what you make of it.

I like you. :smiley:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

I like you. :smiley:

Back at 'cha! ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    dang eh...
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,737
    edited February 2015
    badbrains said:

There's also a lot of crying going on in here to. Do you guys hear some of yourselves? What are we 5? Follow the rules little one, don't derail a thread or try to be funny. Oh come on. People joking around should be encouraged.

Again, the issue people were having was the way we were being reprimanded. And if you don't think we were being talked down to, I'm telling you, we were. I have the pms. I won't post them but I can tell you that being talked to like a 5 year old sucks. Would anyone accept it? Would the mods accept it? I don't think anyone would. Kat didn't like the way WH expressed herself so she banned her. Ill be honest, after reading my pm I would've banned the mod for how I was talked to. Imalive even made a comment regarding it. You can't expect or ask to be respected when you yourself aren't respecting others. It goes both ways. That being said, I hope WH does get a second chance cuz she deserves it. I would say sorry for derailing this thread but how can you derail a thread about what's on your mind.

You can't derail this thread in particular. Or the random thread. But come on. People are going into threads with a real topic and finding page after page of totally nonsensical (to them) conversations between 3 people. That actually does drive members away from the forums. Keep that stuff IN the totally random threads! That's what they're there for!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I hope this isn't taboo to ask.....if so, I plead ignorance......where's northern dragon?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    canada?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    imalive said:

I hope this isn't taboo to ask.....if so, I plead ignorance......where's northern dragon?

I think she's taking a break: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/5753961/#Comment_5753961

Seventh comment.
    It's not her 'last post', but I think she was pretty upset the other day. Hope she's okay, but I understand needing a break from some types of social media.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    i need vacation
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    So glad it's Friday and I don't have to get up tomorrow :)
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    imalive said:

Slaying dragons
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Well put it simply a Pearl Jam tour announcement :)