what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

After seeing a just-right-for-me real estate listing, I am seriously considering moving back to Florida.

I think my wife and I have to have a serious talk about what's best for the family.

Too many pros and cons. We'll have to write them all down, I think. The problem is that some of the items carry more weight than others.

Oh well, what to do?

New York is awesome. I live in Vancouver, considered to be one of the most liveable and beautiful cities in the world, and wish i could move to where you are, while I wouldn't even go to Florida for a free vacation. But that's just me obviously! Must be a pretty amazing property deal you've got your eyes on! Good luck with your decision.
    haha I dont blame you! Fla and Vancouver and/or NY are like three different planets! Most peopl eI know that have moved here after the age of 20-25 really dont like it much...or it takes them a few years to warm up to it (no pun intended).

If you like the ocean and outdoors, Florida is pretty sweet, but its got its major flaws of course. Dankind, you used to live here in FLA, am I right? was it west coast?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • my show tonight. new venue, new city, new chance to bring the noise.

Cool Gimme, kick some ass!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,885

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

After seeing a just-right-for-me real estate listing, I am seriously considering moving back to Florida.

I think my wife and I have to have a serious talk about what's best for the family.

Too many pros and cons. We'll have to write them all down, I think. The problem is that some of the items carry more weight than others.

Oh well, what to do?

New York is awesome. I live in Vancouver, considered to be one of the most liveable and beautiful cities in the world, and wish i could move to where you are, while I wouldn't even go to Florida for a free vacation. But that's just me obviously! Must be a pretty amazing property deal you've got your eyes on! Good luck with your decision.
    haha I dont blame you! Fla and Vancouver and/or NY are like three different planets! Most peopl eI know that have moved here after the age of 20-25 really dont like it much...or it takes them a few years to warm up to it (no pun intended).

If you like the ocean and outdoors, Florida is pretty sweet, but its got its major flaws of course. Dankind, you used to live here in FLA, am I right? was it west coast?
    If you like the ocean and outdoors Vancouver is pretty sweet. ;) Honestly, when i was in Florida i didn't want to leave air conditioning, lol! But NYC... :x I feel like i belong there! Luckily, people feel differently about these things. If we didn't we'd all probably be at war constantly, fighting for the same spot, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

Oh well, what to do?

If you like the ocean and outdoors Vancouver is pretty sweet. ;) Honestly, when i was in Florida i didn't want to leave air conditioning, lol! But NYC... :x I feel like i belong there! Luckily, people feel differently about these things. If we didn't we'd all probably be at war constantly, fighting for the same spot, lol.
    Yeah the humidity here can be a beast if you're not used to it. Lol
    I loved NYC too when I visited. I thought about moving there, but I knew it would have only be temporary...it just didnt work out, but I knew I wouldnt have been able to take it for an extended period.
    But what I meant about the ocean -- it also depends on what kind of person you are if you enjoy it in FLA. Some just like to relax on the beach, and you can do that anywhere. But in Florida, we have some of the most amazing diving, boating, kayaking/paddle boarding, fishing, and decent surfing (sometimes)...I couldnt live away from these crystal clear blue waters for long..
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    edited February 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

Oh well, what to do?

I love Brooklyn. I never want to leave, and if we could get by without ever leaving, I would lobby for staying here indefinitely. Thing is, we pretty much fucked our way out of the entire tri-state area. A month after we closed on our one-bedroom co-op (which we were converting to a one-and-a-half-bedroom), my wife slips me the sonogram of number two.

It's crazy! We're not poor and make well over the national average (I think), but there's absolutely no conceivable way that we can afford a desirable three-bedroom property that would be within a commutable distance to our jobs in Manhattan. Once you get out of the five boroughs and into Westchester County, Long Island, Connecticut or New Jersey, the property taxes have five figures!

There are other families in the neighborhood with more than one kid who seem to have similar jobs to us but seem to get along much better (e.g., they have nannies, they go out all the time, they wear their money, etc.). I have no idea how. They must be independently wealthy on top of their jobs (trust funds, inheritances, etc.)

It sucks! My daughter is crazy about it here, and the opportunities she and her brother would have growing up here are ones that I could only have dreamt of growing up in Florida. (And I did.) I mean, if she gets into the right schools with the right programs, a field trip to the museum is a field trip the Met, a field trip to the theatre is a field trip to Broadway, a field trip to learn about music is a field trip to Julliard. It's going to be a terribly tough pill to swallow when we have to leave.

And JP, good memory. I grew up in Sarasota/Bradenton. And PJ_Soul, that being the case, I am prepared for Florida weather. I've lived in the Northeast for over 15 years now, and this winter has been the absolute worst. There's a Bob Dylan line that goes something like "I'm going where the climate suits my clothes," and seeing as how I don't own a single pair of snowboots but multiple pairs of flip-flops and sandals, Florida suits that lyric well. (I also think that I own more shortpants than long pants.) Anyway, I've rambled long enough.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited February 2014
    Oh I understand that far too well Dankind! Vancouver is the third most expensive city in the world! I do love it here, but when you have a salary well above average and don't have a hope in hell of owning anything EVER unless your parents die in the same home they bought before 2005 or sell their home and give you a huge downpayment (which many parents are doing now, but not mine), something is amiss! The average price of a house here is now $1M. The average price of a condo is $560K. @-) And of course one can't save a downpayment on their own because everything else is expensive too. But.... unless i could make it to NYC, i can't leave this place. There is a reason it's so expensive, just like where you are. They are amazing places to live! ..... just not amazing places to buy homes. :( I don't have kids though. If i did, i might be thinking about moving too. Otherwise i'd have to move out to the boonies and commute four hours a day to have a home appropriate for children.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    I hear you dankind. We are in nj within commutable distance to manhattan, about 30 min train ride. Many of my neighbors commute everyday. Our taxes aren't quite 5 figures. You may be surprised if you look closely at specific towns. Nj is notorious for high property taxes but some localities (like ours) are a bit lower than others. My kids field trips are much as you described. We have one of the highest ranking schools in the state. The opportunity here is something I wouldn't personally sacrifice having grown up in the Midwest where I had to travel at least 2 hours to see anything remotely resembling a city and where there was zero diversity. I love that my kids have friends of many different ethnicities, religions, cultures, languages, family make-up etc.... I will work until I'm too old to move but I feel like this opportunity to grow up here is worth it. Again, I'm comparing to what I grew up with which I'm sure is waaaay worse than Florida in the diversity/culture department. Good luck with your decision.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • Wow, that's some stiff house prices :-O Before I moved from Germany to Michigan, I pretty much thought the weather would be almost the same. Oh well. This is my second winter here and it's the longest and worst and coldest winter I have endured so far. I'm looking forward to the weather warming up, but there will be a week of spring and then the heat will bounce down for the next couple of months. I love spring, so it is a little hard to get used to. Plus, thunderstorms. Whenever the weather changes there's thunderstorms. I cannot remember having had that many in Germany. They scare me, they sound louder and more heavy. But I will get used to that...
    Other than that I like it here. I think it's cool that we have seasons. Florida sounds good, but I wouldn't want to live there either. Rattlesnakes, alligators and co. are too much for my already confused European brain :\"> :P

Best of luck, dankind!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Dankind I think this weather brings out that conversation in people. I've been here my whole life so I can't compare to a childhood in the suburbs where you have a whole house and a backyard and a hose and shit you know, this "city life" is all I know. But a woman I used to work with once told me that the way she and her husband did it was they found a home they could afford in area where they felt safe, and over the years made improvements where/when they could, and they had a nice life in that home in Brooklyn(which included several kids) and they just kinda hoped that the neighborhood would improve with them. I don't know Brooklyn to suggest any neighborhoods to you, but maybe keep in mind that longevity factor. What's desirable right now may be out of reasonable price range but what might be desirable in 5 years might be just within your reach.

That said I've already heard this one from my mother. After the last snowfall (not that little 2" spittle the one before that) she announced she's retiring before next winter and I'm just gonna have to support her for a few years until she finds a nice seasonal rental condo someplace warm for the winter. *facepalm
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,071
    edited February 2014

my show tonight. new venue, new city, new chance to bring the noise.

Cool Gimme, kick some ass!
    oh i am gonna bring it.... and you KNOW this, man.... :)

Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I love when beautiful bartenders not only pay your tab, but pay for your breakfast, AND come back to your place for a nightcap.... It is sometimes nice to be in a band....

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Is Pepsi Max as bad for you as Coke Zero in the way that coke cleans coins ?
    JWPearl said:

Is Pepsi Max as bad for you as Coke Zero in the way that coke cleans coins ?

Worse.
    I googled it and Coke is worse :P Dont know why i asked
  • Wahoooooooooo! Come on, Friday!!!
    Lately all i've been dreaming about is the circus and performing different acts without wanting to end it because I was told to or and because i feel badly wasted/bent.....
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    long distance relationships are hard.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Soooo....

*UPS SurePost is the same as UPS Mail Innovations...yet its different. SurePost is WAY SLOOOOOOOOOOOWER than Mail Innovations-yes, it *really* is!

*since my mail carrier does the route on foot, he does not carry packages and deliver them with the mail, a DIFFERENT carrier who drives the mail truck will come by around 6pm and deliver that package.

image :crazy:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • samjam said:

Yes, they are! But they bring you closer together as well :) There will be a point where on of you will have to make a decision if you wanna move things forward... But it can be worth it! Hang in there! Communicate! At least you don't have a 6 hour time difference and visiting each other doesn't cost an arm and a leg ;)

• samjam said:

Yes, they are! But they bring you closer together as well :) There will be a point where on of you will have to make a decision if you wanna move things forward... But it can be worth it! Hang in there! Communicate! At least you don't have a 6 hour time difference and visiting each other doesn't cost an arm and a leg ;)

totally :)

• afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

samjam said:

Like Lisa said, the distance is hard, but it can also provide time to build a strong foundation for the relationship. We used Skype even though neither of us used it before and that really helped us stay connected as well as notes and texts and of course calling each other. Hang in there! If it's meant to be...it will be :D I wish you guys tons of happiness :D You deserve it!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    did you see me? i saw you.

samjam said:

Like Lisa said, the distance is hard, but it can also provide time to build a strong foundation for the relationship. We used Skype even though neither of us used it before and that really helped us stay connected as well as notes and texts and of course calling each other. Hang in there! If it's meant to be...it will be :D I wish you guys tons of happiness :D You deserve it!
    Thanks guys :) It's really hard--even harder than either of us thought-- but we're very very happy and we're making it work!
    ~not a dude~
    Sounds sweet :)
    Just found an old NYT article written about my Dad....he was such an amazing man.
    ~not a dude~
  • I cant decide...
    Should I spend $375 on those bootlegs, and another $750 on those posters?
    Or should I spend a week in Cancun?
    Decisions decisions.

:@)
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Led Zep is. I want to see them live 8-| Actually Robert Plant is coming over here this summer, thinking of actually catching him live. Decisions decisions
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Toronto.

• I cant decide...
    Should I spend $375 on those bootlegs, and another $750 on those posters?
    Or should I spend a week in Cancun?
    Decisions decisions.

:@)

I thought you sold a bunch of Sevens on Ebay and were considering retiring?
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    edited February 2014
    Northern Lights watching Portlandia loving Seattle
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on