*** 2009 Dallas Cowboys ***

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    tybird wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    It would not surprise me if Mike Shannahan was not the head coach by year end.
    The problem with this is that Mike would want the power over the roster....not sure that the Jones boys are ready to share that piece of the pie....I would be happy with Shanny.

You make a excellent point, but if Jones ever wants to win a super bowl again he will need to give some control to the head coach...There are 3 good coaches available, Cowher, Gruden, Shannahan. I think Cowher wants to coach close to his home in North Carolina, plus he'll probably demand over 6 Million to coach, he also might never coach again, who knows. I am thinking it will be between Gruden and Shannahan, and oddly enough they both worked for Al Davis who is controlling, so they would know what their getting into. Dallas needs to change its coach, Wade is just not head coach material.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    I don't put this loss all on Romo, the bottom line is when they were down in the 4th he lead them to the go ahead score, then all the D had to was make a stop and they didn't. If the D don't player better they'll be lucky to win 5 games. It was also up to the coaches to see that Romo was off his game and call low risk high reward passes which they did not. All QB's have bad games, Romo is no different, he'll bounce back this week.

The QB has the single greatest part in a team winning or losing. Especially in the NFL. You just can't hide a guy in that position. The D may not have answered the bell on the last drive, but if things were executed like they should have been throughout the entire game, it wouldn't have come to that.

Short crossing routes in man coverage at short depths have to be automatic. I'm not saying that 1 play caused us to lose, but we did give up points we shouldn't have. It changed the momentum of the game. Who knows, those 3 points may have lost the game for us. It just seems like he loses poise for long stretches during games. He's too streaky. You need a QB who is a rock back there. He has to be steady and dependable through each game. Romo is a little like Favre in that way and it's one of the reasons Brett has a single Superbowl in 40 years of playing. Thank God for Reggie White or he wouldn't have that. I'm telling you, Romo better pull his shit together or we'll be bitching on message boards until that motherfucker retires.

Regards,

Cowboys fan since 1977.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I don't put this loss all on Romo, the bottom line is when they were down in the 4th he lead them to the go ahead score, then all the D had to was make a stop and they didn't. If the D don't player better they'll be lucky to win 5 games. It was also up to the coaches to see that Romo was off his game and call low risk high reward passes which they did not. All QB's have bad games, Romo is no different, he'll bounce back this week.

The QB has the single greatest part in a team winning or losing. Especially in the NFL. You just can't hide a guy in that position. The D may not have answered the bell on the last drive, but if things were executed like they should have been throughout the entire game, it wouldn't have come to that.

Short crossing routes in man coverage at short depths have to be automatic. I'm not saying that 1 play caused us to lose, but we did give up points we shouldn't have. It changed the momentum of the game. Who knows, those 3 points may have lost the game for us. It just seems like he loses poise for long stretches during games. He's too streaky. You need a QB who is a rock back there. He has to be steady and dependable through each game. Romo is a little like Favre in that way and it's one of the reasons Brett has a single Superbowl in 40 years of playing. Thank God for Reggie White or he wouldn't have that. I'm telling you, Romo better pull his shit together or we'll be bitching on message boards until that motherfucker retires.

Regards,

Cowboys fan since 1977.

Your points are valid, and the consistency will never be there with the current coaching staff, they are not tough enough on him. So maybe instead of always using high draft pick on the defensive side of the ball draft a QB who will challenge Romo for the job.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Yeah. I could get on board with that. May be some decent QB's coming out in the next draft too. Spend some of that billion on a solid foundation for the team.
    Nice win by the Boys. The D played better. got some sacks and turnovers. Romo played well. 3 games in and the running game is just dominant, hopefully Felix is OK, if not Barber will be back next week. Now I know this was only Carolina, but after that display against the Giants we'll take this.

• best thing about the first half was Pearl jam leading to commercial break, other than that horrible. Nick Folk missing that field goal was an exclamation point on a shitty first half.Wade must save all his energy for the lockerroom, but I am tired of seeing him with that confused look on his face all game long. Second half I was glad to see, particularly, the Defense stopping the first 3-4 drives, an interception (heyyyyyy), and the running game excellence, even without MBIII.Tackling was atrocious (Carpenter) but luckily the Panthers forgot how to tackle as well. Anyways, they pulled it out in the second half and a wins a win. They need to light a fire under their asses.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Did what they were supposed to do, beat a bad team. But I agree on the tackling. It is a good thing Newman had that pick six because I was ready to call him out after a HORRIBLE first half.

This team just needs to become a run first team. The run game has been incredible all three games. And when you have that and Romo not making dumb mistakes, you can win any game.

But, yeah. That first half was ugly, ugly football.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Our offensive line is fucking great. Romo is still a retard. What a stupid fucking throw across the field to Choice. That's the kind of shit that will lose a game for you. I propose we just go to a power running game like the Giants...if we can go 1 game without getting a RB hurt. Take the play making burden off Romo's shoulders because he's clearly not a stable QB. He's good enough to be dangerous but not carry a team.

In summation, Wade Phillips is clueless and Romo is a QB from Eastern Illinois with no history of winning big games and awful throwing mechanics. Stick to the run and learn to defend the downfield pass and we'll be fine.

ALSO, if we develop our run game, which happens to be pretty awesome, we can compete in cold weather games like we'll have to play later in Philly and NY. The plus side to that is keeping the ball out of the air where Romo just loves to be Mr. Cutie Pants and force shit.
  • That was the worst football game I have ever watched.
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • how many red zone opportunities did the Cowboys have? And the play calling--being on the 3 yard line and throwing 2 imcomplete pop ups in the end zone? Lots of improvement to be made.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Flagg wrote:
    Did what they were supposed to do, beat a bad team. But I agree on the tackling. It is a good thing Newman had that pick six because I was ready to call him out after a HORRIBLE first half.

This team just needs to become a run first team. The run game has been incredible all three games. And when you have that and Romo not making dumb mistakes, you can win any game.

Funny how a team that had home field advantage in last year's playoffs is suddenly a "bad team"....but, yes...they are either now bad or we made them look that way last night. Me, I'm always happy with a Cowboys' win. 8-)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Romo is still a retard. What a stupid fucking throw across the field to Choice.

He's much better than anyone they've had since Aikman. He's also improved over last year, he's holds the ball more securely, I'm willing to see how he progress's throughout the season. It's still only Carolina. I do agree that with the way the O line is playing and the 3 headed monster running attack Dallas would be best served to have Romo become more of a game manager, but he still has to make plays and they have to stay balanced on offence.

how many red zone opportunities did the Cowboys have? And the play calling--being on the 3 yard line and throwing 2 imcomplete pop ups in the end zone? Lots of improvement to be made.

The first pass Williams should have caught, if he's your number he has to make that catch. That could be our biggest problem we have no number 1 wide receiver, however, he is being paid like a number 1. Dallas needs to draft a WR very early in next years draft, we've spent enough high picks on this D.

best thing about the first half was Pearl jam leading to commercial break, other than that horrible. Nick Folk missing that field goal was an exclamation point on a shitty first half.Wade must save all his energy for the lockerroom, but I am tired of seeing him with that confused look on his face all game long. Second half I was glad to see, particularly, the Defense stopping the first 3-4 drives, an interception (heyyyyyy), and the running game excellence, even without MBIII.Tackling was atrocious (Carpenter) but luckily the Panthers forgot how to tackle as well. Anyways, they pulled it out in the second half and a wins a win. They need to light a fire under their asses.
    How does Carpenter keep a job, he is just not very good. I liked the way Butler played, that have to seriously think about platooning him and Spencer, because Spencer has not been very good as of yet. Maybe that 2nd half is the real Dallas D and things will come together.

how many red zone opportunities did the Cowboys have? And the play calling--being on the 3 yard line and throwing 2 imcomplete pop ups in the end zone? Lots of improvement to be made.

Yes! That was completely retarded. Why didn't they just run it up the middle twice?

It is like they win despite their coaching and what they are being told to do.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    tybird wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Funny how a team that had home field advantage in last year's playoffs is suddenly a "bad team"....but, yes...they are either now bad or we made them look that way last night. Me, I'm always happy with a Cowboys' win. 8-)

Yep. 0-3 makes them bad. They aren't making the playoffs this year.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    tybird wrote:

The curse of the NFC South.....no one repeats as champ
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    tybird wrote:

The curse of the NFC South.....no one repeats as champ

Miami is even crazier. Going from 1-15 to winning the division to being luck to win 4 games this year.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Miami is even crazier. Going from 1-15 to winning the division to being luck to win 4 games this year.[/quote][/quote]

might be the state. Look at the Tampa Bay Rays.
    Miami is even crazier. Going from 1-15 to winning the division to being luck to win 4 games this year.
    [/quote]

might be the state. Look at the Tampa Bay Rays.[/quote]
    Good point....Marlins win a title, trade off all the components, stink for a couple of years, win another title, trade off all the components.

The Lightning win the last Stanley Cup before the lock-out, have stunk ever since.

The Buccaneers basically imploded after they won the Super Bowl too
    Felix Jones to miss a couple of weeks with a PCL sprain. Well that's about right. Starting to think he is fragile.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Felix Jones to miss a couple of weeks with a PCL sprain. Well that's about right. Starting to think he is fragile.
    I think the remaining Raider fan is probably thinking the same thing about McFadden. :roll:
    edited October 2009
    Flagg wrote:
    As I placed my head on the pillow last night.....I was visited by a Ghost of Cowboys Past....Mike Sharrod. :twisted:
    Post edited by tybird on
    Flagg wrote:
    Is it fragile? I just don't understand, it's not like he's taking huge hits. Same with Barber's injury, he was in the clear and pulled up lame. Could it maybe the athletic therapist aren't doing their properly in getting these guys loosened and ready to play game day and keeping them loose? Another area of the team that needs to be looked at. Probably a moot point anyhow, I suspect at seasons end the entire staff with the exception of Houck and the special teams coach will be shown the door. The sad part of the cowboys is that Jerry has seen what a great line coach and special teams coach has done for those 2 units, why he won't bring in great coaching for the rest of the team.

• mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    Flagg wrote:

Yes! That was completely retarded. Why didn't they just run it up the middle twice?

I agree with that statement. I am way more upset with Jason Garrett than anyone else on the team. We have to get a different Off Coordinator. His stock was high at one time, but now he seems to lack any creativity, esp with the passing game. I want to see what this offense can do with a good OC.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
    mr.pink wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

I agree with that statement. I am way more upset with Jason Garrett than anyone else on the team. We have to get a different Off Coordinator. His stock was high at one time, but now he seems to lack any creativity, esp with the passing game. I want to see what this offense can do with a good OC.

Analyst say its the same type of offence that Aikman ran, here's the problem...Romo is not Aikman...Williams is not Irvin...Barber, Jones and Choice rapped in one is no Smith and as good as this O line is playing the O line Aikman had was in a league of its own. I agree Garrett has to go, he waits to long to adjust to what the other team is doing, the Giants game was a great example, the Giants always had a safety over the top effectively taking away the deep pass, he should have recognized this and adjusted his game plan, allowing Rome more short and intermediate options, not to mention that the running game was killing the Giants, he should have ran the ball down their throats until they were forced to bring in safety help.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Analyst say its the same type of offence that Aikman ran, here's the problem...Romo is not Aikman...Williams is not Irvin...Barber, Jones and Choice rapped in one is no Smith and as good as this O line is playing the O line Aikman had was in a league of its own. I agree Garrett has to go, he waits to long to adjust to what the other team is doing, the Giants game was a great example, the Giants always had a safety over the top effectively taking away the deep pass, he should have recognized this and adjusted his game plan, allowing Rome more short and intermediate options, not to mention that the running game was killing the Giants, he should have ran the ball down their throats until they were forced to bring in safety help.

we did run quite a bit, if you remember. Romo just gave that one away. Its a version of the offense of those days but almost everyone in the NFL's offense is. If receivers aren't getting open no matter which receivers you have, its a lack of creativity. Do you watch the Cowboys? Its pretty easy to see that Garrett is strugling if you do.
    mr.pink wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

we did run quite a bit, if you remember. Romo just gave that one away. Its a version of the offense of those days but almost everyone in the NFL's offense is. If receivers aren't getting open no matter which receivers you have, its a lack of creativity. Do you watch the Cowboys? Its pretty easy to see that Garrett is strugling if you do.
    Yea I watch the Cowboys and they did run the ball a lot against the just, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out you keep running until they prove they can stop it. As far as Garrett goes, it's not struggling he just doesn't know what he's doing, the whole coaching staff should have been gone. It's a timing offence, they don't have the wide receivers who can execute it. Roy Williams at best is a number 2 receiver, they still need a number 1.

lukin2006 wrote:
    mr.pink wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yea I watch the Cowboys and they did run the ball a lot against the just, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out you keep running until they prove they can stop it. As far as Garrett goes, it's not struggling he just doesn't know what he's doing, the whole coaching staff should have been gone. It's a timing offence, they don't have the wide receivers who can execute it. Roy Williams at best is a number 2 receiver, they still need a number 1.

I've got to wonder what would have happened if Sean Payton would have waited one more year and took over after Parcels. When he was the OC, you could tell how creative the passing game was. Garett was his understudy and is just a shell of him. Philips seems like a very effective DC. As a HC, he's just Jerry's boy. The last two games the passing defense has actually been good. We haven't had a good secondary in years, always made me wonder about Campo's ability. Dallas has drafted coners and safties in the first few picks for many years. Is Newman finally going to live up to his potential this year?
    Holy crap, why is Spencer even on the field, if he can't make the interception then at least knock the ball away.