*** Toronto Fanviews Here 8/21/09 ***

15678911»

Comments

• nami, u still playing at clairlea?
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • did anyone catch what Ed said right before they kicked into Lukin? He mumbled something but i couldn't make it out.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    nami, u still playing at clairlea?

Wrong person there bud.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • I know that Ed never really introduces Stone whilst in TO. But is it just me or is Stone the chugging factor to a good show or not. He was on fire on the 21st.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• I’m a little late in making a post but as stated earlier, better late than never. Out of all the shows I have seen to so far, it has always been never rather than late. Regardless, each show has been a huge impact in many different ways and altogether it has been a life long journey, which is still going. My plan was to write about the journey at a later time with respect to every show I’ve attended but I felt compelled to write at this time. At this point in time I do not think this will be my last Pearl Jam show so I will save the journey article for a better time and stick with this show only.

To start it off, thank you 10c for the great seats. I was unable to catch the preset due to the enormous beer lines. From all the times that I have been to the amphitheater, I have never seen the lines this busy. It was like everything was in slow motion and to top it off the security guard just stood there in a daze. Emergency, we need beer right now!!! Still, he just stood there. I guess it is obvious that I missed the opening act. Ah well, what can you do? Either way, I think this show will go down in history. It is very similar to when I saw the Eagles play in 2008 with Joe Walsh and Don Henley doing their solo performances. Altogether that show was over 3 hours and I can definitely see Pearl Jam doing this in the future. Hopefully they make this a piece of history and add the preset to the bootleg. It is a long shot, but dam it is Pearl Jam. It will definitely give Mike and Stone more recognition for their solo performances and I think they deserve that respect.

As for the show, the band put on a stellar performance. The video footage of Mike soloing was amazing. Pure raw energy! As for the crowd energy, I think there could have been way more potential. Don’t get me wrong, the energy was still amazing but compared to some of the other shows I’ve attended, I found that there were a lot more spectators watching the band rather than becoming part of the band. The articles from the program in 2003 give good examples with respect to the crowd and band becoming one. In my opinion those articles were sheer brilliance. It definitely changed my perspective with regards to live music. Maybe it was the seats, but I did not feel that energy. There only seemed to be a handful of people in front of me participating while everyone else just seemed to watch or hold their camera. Either way it didn’t stop me from going crazy. It did feel a bit awkward at times but what could you do? As for everyone behind me, I have no idea how they reacted but from the sounds of it, maybe that’s where the crowd energy was.

As for people with their cameras, I can’t say that I’m much of a fan. It definitely takes away from the live experience but at the same time it is nice to be able to watch some of the videos after the show is done, especially the preset. What to do, what to do? Maybe if Pearl Jam decides to release DVDs of their shows then people will not have to bring their cameras to begin with. I know it’s a long shot but they did have a huge video display at the show, so I know it can be done. They are also the pioneers of bootlegs, so why not take that extra step and reach for the limits. Regardless, I am happy as long as the live experience maintains its integrity.

As for the set list, I have no complaints. Each show I have been to seems to always have some kind of unique purpose. Whether it is karma or not is another question. A couple of days after this show I was shown an email at my work meeting (work meeting happens the first half hour of every shift and is usually about work) that stated similarities between JFK and Lincoln. The magic number seemed to be 100. As well the email showed the US 20-dollar bill being folded which revealed an image of the Twin Towers burning. I knew of the 20-dollar bill folding but never saw it done. After that, I had the song “Do the Evolution” in my mind with the 2010 lyrics running through my head. When I got home that day I found one US 10-dollar bill and one US 20-dollar bill in one of my drawers so I tried folding the 10-dollar bill the same way as the 20 and to my amazement you get the same picture except that the buildings are darker. I wouldn’t really call this karma but it is still crazy if you ask me. At this time I do not have any other American money so I have no idea if any of the other bills do this as well or is it just the 20 and 10? Hopefully that is what the lyrics are about and that the fire is already done and over with. Who knows though! I did have the opportunity in asking Eddie about the 2010 lyrics after the Toronto show in 2003, but it never happened. Ah well. Either way the Pearl Jam shows have been a great experience and I still hope for many more. It has been awesome energy throughout. At some point in time I will write about all the shows I have attended, but for now I think I have done enough writing. Thank you Pearl Jam. Peace on Earth. Live and Love Life as Long as possible and of course JAM when given the opportunity. Over and out!
  • did anyone catch what Ed said right before they kicked into Lukin? He mumbled something but i couldn't make it out.
    Right before lukin, "this is a about a guy who says he doesn't like Canada but I know he likes it cause he hates it, so he loves it... cause you couldn't love something without hating it"
  • edvedd wrote:
    It was the 2nd. time porch was played tonight. they played it after Leaving Here in London.

what a combination that was!!

when Ed said this a "holland, dozzier & holland song" i went mental....a few folks around me wasnt sure what was coming until the opening chords of Leavin Here kicked in!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • of the girl....just listened to it on the boot. wonderful! now some cordoroy.
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    edited October 2009
    with all honesty...it was so well written, and soooo well played out

it was the perfect setlist for me. thank you so much!!!!

there are never enough words to say...

all of it
    Post edited by helplessdancer on
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    had no tickets. bought a tix from someone two weeks before. got 10TH ROW SEAT. preset is awesome. view amazing. dick dude works for the venue kept telling me to stop taking videos. great photos. (flickr:dillsnufus) good time.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    had no tickets. bought a tix from someone two weeks before. got 10TH ROW SEAT. preset is awesome. view amazing. dick dude works for the venue kept telling me to stop taking videos. great photos. (flickr:dillsnufus) good time.

were they videos of reading childrens books with a terrible accent and wig?
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • edibervanedibervan Posts: 243
    Apologizing for the laaaate response and the long post ahead, here I am to share some thoughts about the gig...

It took me a while to read all the posts in the thread!
    No problem, I've just put on my headphones and the bootleg to play, and magically I was pratically there in the Amphitheather yet again!
    Veeeery nice!
    =]

It was a longer trip for me and my friends than most of you, I suppose... We left Brasil thursday to arrive in Toronto just 4 hours prior to the show... and we just got back home sunday.
    Yep, a weekend to remember, apart from the several hours in planes!
    An oportunity I have been waiting and feeding with joy from a long time ago, after all, untill this concert I only had ONE CHANCE to check my favorite band in 2005 when they toured South America...

First of all, important things I've read here that got the the goosebumps:
    - "permanent smile" - yeah, I got it too and it is still lasting!
    - "religious experience" - yeah, say what you want, but the kind of energy and love we all shared that night was incredible and not common AT ALL!!
    - "the flow between the crowd and the band" - yeah, if you haven't feel it and noticed what the present tense is made of, you're definetly dead! :D

And I loved these words by SS25454:
    "it's like the chicken and the egg - you don't know where it starts but it just grows into something amazing.
    I've come to the conclusion that every pearl jam show is special - every song is special - doesn't matter what you go wanting to hear - what you get is always the best - and once again I left the show with that same feeling I always get - christmas morning
    and Ed was just so Ed - he makes me laugh, he makes me cry, he makes me sing and he makes me smile - there's only one Ed - and no, he's not on a pedestal, he's there in front of you loving the music just as much as you are"

That's pretty much what I sensed too! =]
    Even though the process of living in a harsh no-love-for-you world like the one we see today takes sometimes more than we're willing to give, these guys manage to turn every second around and close to them special and full of... of LIFE, the REAL LIFE we're supposed to live in our day-to-day routine.
    And it buffles me every time I realise they're just humans, after all... no 360 stage scenarios, no hardcore technology, no nothing... just some 5 incredibly talented guys makin music and dancing with us all!

The gig itself was a bit "too much too good", if posible... I just feel sorry for the rest of my days, for they are going to have a hard time trying to be like august 21st!
    =]
    My girl and I made a pact to ourselves right after the avocato album was released: we were going to follow these guys untill at least these songs were played live to us:
    - Red Mosquito, In Hiding, Faithfull, Wishlist, Off He Goes, Rearviewmirror, Severed Hand, Rockin' in the Free World, the special "My whole life like a picture of a sunny day" medley in Not For You and Porch
    This concert alone gave us almost the whole Yeld pack (Wishlist, Off He Goes and Faithfull), let aside Rockin', the medley and Porch in a kick ass version!
    And they also played Brain of J!!!! Astonishing, I really never expected it!! GREAT set indeed!!

I'd be gratefull if I wasn't completely burnt out and simply floating!
    thanks a lot guys!!!!

Mike's solos on Even FLow and Alive, and also his hypnotic guitar in POrch (with the greatest of the singalongs too, thanks to the cheerful crowd!) and Why Go were stunning and alien, sorry to all the other guitar players in this planet!
    Oh, and this is imposible not to mention: Betterman is a tear-factory... great, great song!!

Loved the canadian style to enjoy a rock concert, loved the atmosphere and the party we all threw together!
    Loved the new friends, loved the canadian beer, loved the colorfull and so much ALIVE city thru the windows of the venue... What the heck was that whole amusement park there? It was amazing to feel the happiness and the life pouring both inside and outside the amphitheather, life simply couldn't make more sense!

From now on, Toronto itself is my personal "fixer" for when I need to remember to "fight to get IT back again"!
    :D

Didn't love the longest of the lines to the restroom and didn't love the tough walk with no signs wahtsoever to exit the place.
    But, hey, the night ended with some nice wheatbeers in Little Italy (Cafe Diplomatico, I guess) and the whole Toronto experience was something of a renewal to the "good life subscription" for me and my party!

All in all, it is true that the Love WE gave was equal to the Love we saved that night!

I am more than glad and trully given to fly, once again, thanks to this band and the amazing fans they have - yeah, I mean YOU!
    I apreciate every single moment we spent together and I will never forget the feeling in the air!

Here's to YOU, then...
    I hope I can be there once again sometime and I hope we can dance and sing and have one more lifetime in style like this!
    =]

P.S. - I wonder if I am able to get nice tickets like most of you mentioned... I saw this concert in the very last seating row and got a blast... Guess if I ever get nice tickets (now that I am a 10c member I can dream!) I would definetly leave the ground for good! =]
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,027
    tuktuk wrote:
    did anyone catch what Ed said right before they kicked into Lukin? He mumbled something but i couldn't make it out.
    Right before lukin, "this is a about a guy who says he doesn't like Canada but I know he likes it cause he hates it, so he loves it... cause you couldn't love something without hating it"

It almost sounds like he is saying chelios instead of lukin in the song. I could be wrong but it sounds like it.
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Bump. Simply to mention that seeing PJ open for themselves was such a treat
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    this show so far is the most underrated. great performance by the whole band. the setlist wasn't special except for the preset that isn't bootleged.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,063
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    this show so far is the most underrated. great performance by the whole band. the setlist wasn't special except for the preset that isn't bootleged.

once that fan bootleg get's released .. oh mama!
    though i hope pearl jam does release it someday to the massess!

"This is about a guy who says he dosn't like killing but i know he likes killing because he loves too hate it and you can't hate something without loving it ...................."

Toronto / Sept 21/96 -Barrie/aug 22/98- Auburn Hills, /oct 07 /00
    Grand Rapids /oct 03/04 -London/sept 12/05-Hamilton /sept 13/05
    Toronto/sept 19/05 -Toronto/ may 09/06 - Toronto/aug 21/09- Hamilton /sept 15 /11
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,121
    One year ago...the BEST preset ever! What a great night that was...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,063
    JimmyV wrote:

It sure was. An amazing Wishlist Foundation preparty & an amazing show with great friends!
    I can't wait to do it again! :)
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,121
    demetrios wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

It sure was. An amazing Wishlist Foundation preparty & an amazing show with great friends!

It was my first preparty. Such an awesome way to start the night, now we never miss 'em before a show.

And the guy who organized it did a great job. ;)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Definetly the best preset!!!!!

Peace!
    Peace,
    JimmyV wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

It was my first preparty. Such an awesome way to start the night, now we never miss 'em before a show.

And the guy who organized it did a great job. ;)

If it wasn't for Nick, Chris, Jon, Angie, BK, Tom & many others, he wouldn't of made it all possible! :)
  • Bump30Bump30 Posts: 446
    JimmyV wrote:

It was my first PJ show!!! Talk about getting spoiled!
    Toronto - 2009
    Hartford - 2010
    Ed Solo - Hartford - 2011
    Toronto X 2, Ottawa & Hamilton - 2011
    Ed Solo - Jacksonville - 2012
    London, Pittsburgh & Buffalo - 2013
    No shows in 2014 :-(
  • RD171825RD171825 Posts: 443
    Such a great night, perfect weather, amazing crowd, band was on. It was my girlfriends sisters first show she was back on the lawn with her boyfriend and late getting in I was so worried they were gonna be late. To see the look on her face after the show was over was simply priceless.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    almost the best day/night I have had in my life, favourite show ever
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit