**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• jgrossmanjgrossman Posts: 103
    Bump for me and you.
  • LukinFan wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    I started to believe that theory until they scheduled 2 shows in LA, one in TX and then back to LA for 2 more.

And then played Jazz Fest in 2010 and skipped up from NO to KC.
    well said

When I saw the tour dates that year (LA to Austin and back to LA).. it broke my little heart. Selfish probably isn't the word, but that's what it seemed like. Selfish with a fat paycheck.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    LukinFan wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    I started to believe that theory until they scheduled 2 shows in LA, one in TX and then back to LA for 2 more.

And then played Jazz Fest in 2010 and skipped up from NO to KC.
    well said

When I saw the tour dates that year (LA to Austin and back to LA).. it broke my little heart. Selfish probably isn't the word, but that's what it seemed like. Selfish with a fat paycheck.

Selfish in more ways than one. Not only did they get a big fat paycheck, they were given the opportunity to record an episode of the ACL TV show, during which Backspacer was given national television promotion (If memory serves correct they did about 15 songs, including all of Backspacer except Speed of Sound? So of 15 songs, 10 of them from Backspacer?)

Makes the trip to ACL seem even more like a promotional opportunity than anything else.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    Eddie made a big deal that he couldn't believe they hadn't played Austin since '95. They either don't know or they don't care that they've ignored us for so long.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    Eddie made a big deal that he couldn't believe they hadn't played Austin since '95. They either don't know or they don't care that they've ignored us for so long.

I do recall quite a loud booo! from the crowd when he said that.
    ComeToTX wrote:

deserved
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Everyone here has made some great points and I agree. It's really disappointing to see a band that I love so much continue to ignore much of its loyal fan base. People have asked tim during the AET and you're right..he just gives a non-answer like scheduling conflicts or "we just couldn't work it out." You couldn't find any open dates in 8 years? Are we supposed to believe that? Unfortunately, the only reason that we have for why they don't play down here is just that they don't want to. :( I think it's as simple as that. It has to be when you've gone to canada/south america/australia/europe multiple times since playing major cities in your own country.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Better Dan wrote:
    ...Unfortunately, the only reason that we have for why they don't play down here is just that they don't want to. :( I think it's as simple as that...

Painful, but seemingly the only conclusion we're left to draw.

In a time where the census and demographics show our country's population is trending towards southern residency and our cities are growing, these guys continue to cash-in at their favorite cities/venues and ignore the possibility that we might have some PJ money on reserve, too.

Whatever. I'm shelling-out to go to Wisconsin after sitting out for 3 years. That's kind of my tipping point.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    play the damn south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:
    ...Unfortunately, the only reason that we have for why they don't play down here is just that they don't want to. :( I think it's as simple as that...

In a time where the census and demographics show our country's population is trending towards southern residency and our cities are growing, these guys continue to cash-in at their favorite cities/venues and ignore the possibility that we might have some PJ money on reserve, too.

Whatever. I'm shelling-out to go to Wisconsin after sitting out for 3 years. That's kind of my tipping point.

Earlier in this thread someone compared the low population of the cities they are playing in Canada to the highly populated metropolitan areas around San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas. I've done this similar comparison for other cities they play and it really gets to be ridiculous.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

+1
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    ComeToTX wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

deserved

He did say "What the fuck were we thinking?" right after that. And showed us his UT stool he has been using since forever.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Better Dan wrote:
    Earlier in this thread someone compared the low population of the cities they are playing in Canada to the highly populated metropolitan areas around San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas. I've done this similar comparison for other cities they play and it really gets to be ridiculous.
    by Citizen Zack » Tue May 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Just some food for thought - and yes, I realize this is a massive waste of time:

Pearl Jam is playing 10 Canadien shows in 9 cities. I got curious about the populations of the areas they will play in comparison to some of the southern stops they've skipped over the last 8 years.

Canada 2011 Shows - (Metro area population)

Montreal (3,635,571)
    Toronto (5,113,149)
    Vancouver (2,116,581)
    Ottawa (1,130,761)
    Calgary (1,079,310)
    Edmonton (1,034,945)
    Hamilton (692,911)
    Winnipeg (694,668)
    Saskatoon (265,259)

Total Canada sites metro area population - 15,763,155

A few major cities in the south US (Metro area population)

Houston (6,108,060)
    Dallas (6,477,313)
    Atlanta (5,268,860)

Each of these 3 cities is bigger than Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon combined (by over 1 million people). Combined, these three cities outdo all the Canada sites by over 2 million people! In 3 cities that haven't seen a show in 8 years!

If you throw in San Antonio, the population of just 3 Texas cities - Houston, Dallas, SA - is 14,727,873. That's almost equal to all of the Canada sites combined, just in one state.

If you were to set up a hypothetical tour of 9 south US cities that would be realistic for the band to play, it might look something like this:

Houston (6,108,060)
    Dallas (6,477,313)
    Oklahoma City (1,257,987)
    Atlanta (5,268,860)
    New Orleans (1,235,650)
    Charlotte (1,745,524)
    Memphis (1,305,946)
    West Palm Beach (5,413,212)
    Tampa (2,733,761)

Total metro area population: 31,546,313

That's twice the number of people than in the areas of Canada they're playing. So really, why can't they play the south? I just refuse to believe it's because they feel like they can't sell enough tickets here. But they can in Saskatoon (no offense to residents of Saskatoon)? That would mean they're looking for cost effective tours. Since the last time they toured the majority of the south, they've played Europe 4 times, Australia/New Zealand, and South America - and rumors have it that they'll be in South America again at the end of 2011. That's 6, and now possibly 7, major international trips without playing some of the most populated areas of the United States. And now a second trip through Canada. Hardly cost effective when compared to playng in the US.

Honestly, I wouldn't take those shows away from Canada or anywhere else if I could. I'm happy they are getting to see the band. But what in the world is keeping them from playing the south? There are tons of fans down here who have supported this band from day one and they continue to act like we don't exist. They can easily sell tickets here.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
    Flagg wrote:

He did say "What the fuck were we thinking?" right after that. And showed us his UT stool he has been using since forever.
    why would he have a UT stool? Kind of strange
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

I forgot exactly what he said, but he got it when they played Austin in 95.
    Better Dan wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

that makes sense
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Better Dan wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

He didn't say how or why he had the UT stool....

He went on a little rant about how every time he's sat on a stool onstage since 95 (be it a PJ, Eddie, or miscellanous concert) it's been on that particular UT stool and that it was one of his favorite possessions...

For some reason at the time when he said it I took it as one of his bullshit statements... I still think he was bullshitting, although I've never seen pictures where I could prove one way or the other...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Yeah, I took the UT stool comment in jest. I don't think he was serious, just trying to stir up the Austin crowd.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

good ol Ed!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I wonder if it's the same stool he's sitting on in the Can't Keep video?! ;):D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    play the south..so cool fans there..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • play the south..so cool fans there..
    :)
    page 3 bump.
  • jopetto75jopetto75 Posts: 397
    play the south tour the south. I do believe it has a lot to do with oil and the bush administration.SAD if so I hope I am wrong. Oil is a big part of them making there millions, how could they tour without it?
    until next time......
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    do it
    tour the south

• grizahamgrizaham Posts: 338
    the cicadas even want PJ to play the south
    hurry their time is limited
    Seen PJ 21 times live from 1994-2019

Anyone else see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=159494

Good lord I hope it's true!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

jopetto75 wrote:
    play the south tour the south. I do believe it has a lot to do with oil and the bush administration.SAD if so I hope I am wrong. Oil is a big part of them making there millions, how could they tour without it?

I'm only going to say this once, cause I'm sure a lot of people on this board will disagree with me, but...

The entire rock and roll industry couldn't exist without the use of oil. And to turn up your nose at it, well...

It's easy to say that there are "better alternatives" - to those people I challenge them to find it. We've been working on "better alternatives" for over 100 years, and the fact is that to date we have not found a better, more efficient, and more ecomonical way to power our transportation.

This band couldn't, no band, couldn't exist without the use of oil at the current day and age (and the past 100 years leading up to now).

My response would be, if you're going to complain about oil and it's "evils" - don't use it. See how far your bike gets you. For most of us, you certainly won't be able to make it to Alpine Valley, WI.
    i love the UT stool. check out my avatar for proof. up close it looks like it's been around that long. i remember thinking it was a joke too and someone on here correcting me and saying they had noticed it multiple times over the years.