**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    play the south
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    mfc2006 wrote:
    shep wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

I don't think I've ever even heard a song my arcade fire before, to be honest. And I agree, other than MMJ headlining, ACL is pretty weak this year.

I would like to see MMJ again, however, I'm not paying for the festival just to see them. And with no headline acts I actually want to see.... I mean Kayne West? Stevie Wonder?.... Unless they are going to do a duet about gay fish I have no interest...

And that says a lot, cause usually I will use any excuse to go to Austin for a weekend... I just feel ripped off because they sold all the 3-day passes before the line-up was even announced... that was the only reason they were able to get away with this crap.

Voodoo is the only festival left I can think of that hasn't announced it's line-up... so maybe there's still some hope... but probably not for PJ... I just want a good festival line-up...

yup. i'm glad that we didn't buy 3 day passes this year. this will be the 1st year where we only go to one day. we're going on Saturday....hope to catch some aftershows as well. i really thought the lineup would be better b/c it's their 10th anniversary. oh well!

back on topic....

PJ,
    play the South.

Regards,
    Matt

Well the only good thing about it for me is that I bought 3-day hard tickets... when they actually show up I'll have no problem getting rid of them...

Actually a little rotted about that too - one of my friends offered to take the tickets and my hotel off my hands.... I was going to scalp both of them (I bought tickets for 165 and 3-day passes are going for over 200 each on fleabay and I have the best hotel in Austin booked for the trip and I can transfer my reservation to someone else)... but I can't do it cause my friend wants it.... :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    mfc2006 wrote:

yup. i'm glad that we didn't buy 3 day passes this year. this will be the 1st year where we only go to one day. we're going on Saturday....hope to catch some aftershows as well. i really thought the lineup would be better b/c it's their 10th anniversary. oh well!

back on topic....

PJ,
    play the South.

Regards,
    Matt
    Matt - who's playing on Saturday that you want to see?

And yes, PJ PLEASE play the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    LukinFan wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

back on topic....

PJ,
    play the South.

Regards,
    Matt

my morning jacket
    cee-lo green
    iron & wine
    gillian welch

there are others, but that's just from the top of my head. should be fun!

play the south 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

back on topic....

PJ,
    play the South.

Regards,
    Matt

my morning jacket
    cee-lo green
    iron & wine
    gillian welch

there are others, but that's just from the top of my head. should be fun!

play the south 8-)
    looks like you picked a good day 8-)

and yes, play the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    * * urmysunshine.gif* *

* * * Play The South! * * *
    :D
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• FWIW,
    the birdie says you should still invest in a good pair of flipflops.
    Both of the P bands.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    FWIW,
    Both of the P bands.
    I truly hope your friend is right, but why would they hold out a name like PJ, wouldn't that hurt ticket sales?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• LukinFan wrote:
    FWIW,
    Both of the P bands.
    I truly hope your friend is right, but why would they hold out a name like PJ, wouldn't that hurt ticket sales?

i dunno.
    pearljamdontgiveup.jpg
    LukinFan wrote:
    FWIW,
    Both of the P bands.

i dunno.
    pearljamdontgiveup.jpg
    8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• jopetto75jopetto75 Posts: 397
    The South needs u PJ!!! Tour please, for all of us music lovers down here. Thanks
    until next time......
  • Flutter GirlFlutter Girl Posts: 548
    edited June 2011
    LukinFan wrote:
    FWIW,
    Both of the P bands.

They're waiting till PJ sells out their own festival.
    Hasn't deluna only announced part of the line-up? I'm going to both them and voodoo..should be fun, even if PJ doesn't do either of them..but still got my fingers fingerscrossed.gif
    Post edited by Flutter Girl on
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    I have a hard time believing they would have trouble selling out major markets like Atlanta, Raleigh/Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, WPB/Tampa, so why don't they play here?
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    EZ1221C wrote:
    I have a hard time believing they would have trouble selling out major markets like Atlanta, Raleigh/Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, WPB/Tampa, so why don't they play here?

I ask myself that almost daily and can never come up with a rational possibility.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all

They're waiting till PJ sells out their own festival. fingerscrossed.gif

Bingo.
    EZ1221C wrote:

It is a very good question that I've never heard anyone come up with a real answer for... (other then people from the northeast stating that everyone who lives here is basically a hick)...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • EZ1221C wrote:

I ask myself that almost daily and can never come up with a rational possibility.

I think the perennial lack of tour dates in the south has more to do with the distance between markets than with the demand for the band.

It is far more economical for PJ to continue to bounce back & forth between DC, Jersey, Philly, New York, and Boston than it is for them to drive multiple buses & planes up and down the south east coast from NC, to GA to FL, to LA in order to grab a handful of shows that may or may not sell out.

Of course demand has *something* to do with it, but they'd be more likely to play these places more often if they didn't have to trek across their arms and assholes to get to them.

:(
    the south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    do it
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    HopeDove.jpg

On the wings of Hope . . . forever faithful!

PLAY THE SOUTH! :D
    EZ1221C wrote:

I think the perennial lack of tour dates in the south has more to do with the distance between markets than with the demand for the band.

It is far more economical for PJ to continue to bounce back & forth between DC, Jersey, Philly, New York, and Boston than it is for them to drive multiple buses & planes up and down the south east coast from NC, to GA to FL, to LA in order to grab a handful of shows that may or may not sell out.

Of course demand has *something* to do with it, but they'd be more likely to play these places more often if they didn't have to trek across their arms and assholes to get to them.

:(

True, the distances between some southern cities is greater (although Houston to Dallas is 3 1/2 hours and you hit a total population of 12 million between the two). But even with the bigger gaps between markets, it eventually starts to feel like a slap in the face to a very loyal and financially invested fan base. We've paid 10 club dues, bought albums, merch, etc. just like everyone else. And they've played down here before to sell out crowds. So if not wanting to sit on the bus for an extra couple of hours is the reason, I'd be pretty off-put by that. We (southern fans) are just as much a part of making the band what they are (rich and successful) as the fans in the northeast.

Also, they've flown to and traveled across Europe 4 times since the 2003 tour. South America, Aussie/NZ, and now twice across Canada - all since touring the southern US. Not exactly short trips. Actually they are much, much, much longer trips than hitting a handful of major southern American cities. So the question still remains - why are we working on 9 years waiting down here?
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

True, the distances between some southern cities is greater (although Houston to Dallas is 3 1/2 hours and you hit a total population of 12 million between the two). But even with the bigger gaps between markets, it eventually starts to feel like a slap in the face to a very loyal and financially invested fan base. We've paid 10 club dues, bought albums, merch, etc. just like everyone else. And they've played down here before to sell out crowds. So if not wanting to sit on the bus for an extra couple of hours is the reason, I'd be pretty off-put by that. We (southern fans) are just as much a part of making the band what they are (rich and successful) as the fans in the northeast.

Also, they've flown to and traveled across Europe 4 times since the 2003 tour. South America, Aussie/NZ, and now twice across Canada - all since touring the southern US. Not exactly short trips. Actually they are much, much, much longer trips than hitting a handful of major southern American cities. So the question still remains - why are we working on 9 years waiting down here?

Well put.

One thing I would like to add, particularly about this Canadian tour (especially the western swing) is that in this situation the distance between cities is significantly larger than say Dallas to Houston or Houston to New Orleans, etc etc, and the Canadian cities are about 1/5th the population.... which only stands to disprove the above arguement...

You can get to more fans and cover significantly less distance in the southern US than you can across Western Canada, yet they have now had 2 tours to our 0 in the last 8 years.

Makes no sense.
    shep wrote:

Well put.

One thing I would like to add, particularly about this Canadian tour (especially the western swing) is that in this situation the distance between cities is significantly larger than say Dallas to Houston or Houston to New Orleans, etc etc, and the Canadian cities are about 1/5th the population.... which only stands to disprove the above arguement...

You can get to more fans and cover significantly less distance in the southern US than you can across Western Canada, yet they have now had 2 tours to our 0 in the last 8 years.

Makes no sense.

Indeed, makes no sense at all. I just cannot wrap my head around it - all the traveling they've done, all over the world since they last played the south. It can't be money then. So what's the next plausible excuse? I don't buy politics - the Bush from Texas thing is ridiculous. I don't think for one second the band is so juvenille as to avoid the south based on that. Distance? Clearly not the reason (re: Canada 2005, 2011). Can't sell out shows? Please - we've proven that to be untrue time and again. Some of the biggest markets in this country are in the south. Shows sell out. Bands with not near the prestige of PJ sell out down here. I'd love to hear a realistic, honest discussion about this on AET. Hopefully the question will get asked and will be given serious treatment. This is beyond absurd at this point.

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I started to believe that theory until they scheduled 2 shows in LA, one in TX and then back to LA for 2 more.

And then played Jazz Fest in 2010 and skipped up from NO to KC.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Indeed, makes no sense at all. I just cannot wrap my head around it - all the traveling they've done, all over the world since they last played the south. It can't be money then. So what's the next plausible excuse? I don't buy politics - the Bush from Texas thing is ridiculous. I don't think for one second the band is so juvenille as to avoid the south based on that. Distance? Clearly not the reason (re: Canada 2005, 2011). Can't sell out shows? Please - we've proven that to be untrue time and again. Some of the biggest markets in this country are in the south. Shows sell out. Bands with not near the prestige of PJ sell out down here. I'd love to hear a realistic, honest discussion about this on AET. Hopefully the question will get asked and will be given serious treatment. This is beyond absurd at this point.

Unfortunately you're never going to have an honest and serious discussion about this on AET. If it gets brought up to Kelly Curtis or Tim Bierman they are just going to brush off the question and say something like "there were scheduling conflicts for when we were planning the tour" or something along those lines to cut the conversation short. End of story. Next caller. This is what they've done in the past and what they'll do again in the future because they don't really want to answer the question.

And you're never going to have an honest, serious discussion on these forums because you're just going to get someone from the northeast shitting all over the people from the south (like periodically happens in this thread) because they operate under the assumption that the south is a wasteland of gun-toting hicks and retards, herding cattle and spilling oil whenever they get the chance.

Clearly at this point in seems that PJ (and for that matter now Soundgarden as well) is only interested in the big paydays in the south... i.e. our major music festivals. It's just absurd.
    Agreed - they clearly aren't adverse to travel.

Just for kicks, I looked up the events calendar at the Toyota Center and Woodlands Pavillion - the 2 major concert venues in Houston.

Toyota Center: Nothing planned between October 13 and December 1. Unused December 5 - December 29. No events scheduled from December 31 - February 9.

Woodlands Pavillion: There are currently 12 events planned for October - December. That leaves 80 calendar days open until the end of 2011.

We have places available. Please come to Houston when you're done with Canada.

shep wrote:

Unfortunately you're never going to have an honest and serious discussion about this on AET. If it gets brought up to Kelly Curtis or Tim Bierman they are just going to brush off the question and say something like "there were scheduling conflicts for when we were planning the tour" or something along those lines to cut the conversation short. End of story. Next caller. This is what they've done in the past and what they'll do again in the future because they don't really want to answer the question.

And you're never going to have an honest, serious discussion on these forums because you're just going to get someone from the northeast shitting all over the people from the south (like periodically happens in this thread) because they operate under the assumption that the south is a wasteland of gun-toting hicks and retards, herding cattle and spilling oil whenever they get the chance.

Clearly at this point in seems that PJ (and for that matter now Soundgarden as well) is only interested in the big paydays in the south... i.e. our major music festivals. It's just absurd.

Well, we are a bunch of gun-slinging neocons, but we do love our PJ. So I hope they change their minds. And yes, there are plenty of folks who either stereotype southerners or boldly preach "if you really want to see the band, quit complaining and travel." I have. A lot. It's expensive. And the people who say that usually live in a place that PJ visits every tour.

Anyway, it's unfortunate that Tim or anyone else from the band won't address the south issue. We have a more-than-legit question about their lack of presence down here and it's a shame that as fans we can't get a reasonable response.

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    Great posts Zack. You've made every point for me.

PLAY TEXAS!!!!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    Flagg wrote:
    I started to believe that theory until they scheduled 2 shows in LA, one in TX and then back to LA for 2 more.

And then played Jazz Fest in 2010 and skipped up from NO to KC.
    well said
    www.RLMcDaniel.com