Options

Hidden Findings discovered in Backspacer Cover (Updated)

Comments

• Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Yeah...I really thought it was Kristy McNicholl, but now it's most likely that kid in the photo - which looks more like Stone than ed....and my orignal thought about the "gilligan" is that he actually really reminded me of Bill Nye (the science guy)...but not sure how this all fits in...if the kid photo is Mike, then he appeared on Almost Live, which is where Bill Nye (the science) guy got his start....cut to lame list guys scratching their heads and looking confused. :lol:
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Guys.... guys.... check this out!

Tom Tomorrow's latest post at http://thismodernworld.com/4868:

August 18, 2009
    Tom Tomorrow:
    Backspacer promo
    There’s a ten minute Pearl Jam promo video here. I was there in the rehearsal space the day it was shot, lurking in the shadows, drinking wine from a plastic cup. It’s no wonder I came back from Seattle enthusiastic about the experience of working in an office.

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 8:39 AM
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow!!!!... this lucky penguin got to hang out that day!

Who wants to dare asking him about that kid picture??

I double dare you.... :twisted:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    All I have to say is if it's this much fun looking at the 9 pics on the cover, I can't WAIT to see the 28 page color booklet in the vinyl edition.

*drools*

That is so true 8-)

But what a fantastic job you're doing with findig out what the pictures mean...
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Bump!

Check out this cartoon from Tom Tomorrow in 2005, looks like he just changed the bathing suit color in the third panel and used it for the underwater Seattle image:

http://dir.salon.com/story/comics/tomo/2005/04/04/tomo/
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Bump!

Check out this cartoon from Tom Tomorrow in 2005, looks like he just changed the bathing suit color in the third panel and used it for the underwater Seattle image:

good catch.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Bump!

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner!!!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Bump!

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner!!!

Nice! It even has those THREE FISH in the pic... :)
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    I took the liberty of emailing Tomorrow and I actually got a response! Unfortunately, it was one basically telling me that he can't tell me anything :P
    The artwork was a collaboration in which the band was very involved. Whether or not to discuss the specific meanings of the images is their decision, not mine, and I have to honor that. I can say that they were great guys to work with though!

:ugeek:
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    pearljambackspacer4.jpg

Maybe just maybe... the kid looking in is Daniel san from The Karate Kid... she is 'snap kicking' him to the head in Seattle.

Maybe the woman is a Seattle Sea-monkey?
  • Options
    Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    Two things I read over at "the sky i scrape" message board...

1) The cover will be partially glow in the dark!

2) Mike said in a recent interview that their childhoods were interwoven into the artwork or something along those lines, hence, all three children are possibly band members. Stone's is from the promo video, so the other two are probably Ed, Mike, or Jeff. Does anyone in PJ have green eyes?
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Dark Star wrote:
    Two things I read over at "the sky i scrape" message board...

1) The cover will be partially glow in the dark!

2) Mike said in a recent interview that their childhoods were interwoven into the artwork or something along those lines, hence, all three children are possibly band members. Stone's is from the promo video, so the other two are probably Ed, Mike, or Jeff. Does anyone in PJ have green eyes?

Yeah i just googled green eyes and pearl jam... nothing heh

So which band member was a little chubby and dreamt of being in stand by me? :) hahaha... dreams are funny
  • Options
    Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    Also, I think I was on to something with the drums being those of Keith Moon. A moon man playing the same red and white drums that Keith did (sans the Who logo), plus it's Ed's favorite band.
  • Options
    I've looked for pictures before and found nothing. Thought I'd look again and found this today.
    And the swimsuit's increasing popularity was reinforced by its appearance in contemporary movies like Annette Funicello's How To Stuff a Wild Bikini and Raquel Welch's One Million Years B.C. One of the bikini's earliest and most memorable film roles came in the 1962 Bond film Dr. No. (A journalist who saw an advance screening reported, "Actress Ursula Andress fills wet bikinis as if she were going downwind behind twin spinnakers.")

BeachBlanketBingoBigPic.jpg

Annette Funicello's movie's from the 1960-70s are
    Head (1968)
    Fireball 500 (1966)
    Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (1965)
    How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965)
    Ski Party (1965) (uncredited)
    The Monkey's Uncle (1965)
    Beach Blanket Bingo (1965)
    Pajama Party (1964)
    Bikini Beach (1964)
    Muscle Beach Party (1964)
    The Misadventures of Merlin Jones (1964)
    Beach Party (1963)Elfego Baca: Six Gun Law (1962)

Anyone know these?
    PJ: 07-16-06 ; 08-28-09 ; 10-23-10 ; 11-26-13
    EV: 04-08-08 ; 07-05-11
    Mike: 07-07-11 ; 05-20-12
    Soundgarden: 07-21-11

10C #271XXX
    Since 2002
  • Options
    Wow.

Has the mystery of the red dress/swimsuit finally been solved?

I think this might be it...
  • Options
    Wow.

Has the mystery of the red dress/swimsuit finally been solved?

I think this might be it...

i just posted my guess of the solution like an hour ago

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=109161
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    This is a great thread. Good job everyone!
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,279
    I've looked for pictures before and found nothing. Thought I'd look again and found this today.
    And the swimsuit's increasing popularity was reinforced by its appearance in contemporary movies like Annette Funicello's How To Stuff a Wild Bikini and Raquel Welch's One Million Years B.C. One of the bikini's earliest and most memorable film roles came in the 1962 Bond film Dr. No. (A journalist who saw an advance screening reported, "Actress Ursula Andress fills wet bikinis as if she were going downwind behind twin spinnakers.")

BeachBlanketBingoBigPic.jpg

Annette Funicello's movie's from the 1960-70s are
    Head (1968)
    Fireball 500 (1966)
    Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (1965)
    How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965)
    Ski Party (1965) (uncredited)
    The Monkey's Uncle (1965)
    Beach Blanket Bingo (1965)
    Pajama Party (1964)
    Bikini Beach (1964)
    Muscle Beach Party (1964)
    The Misadventures of Merlin Jones (1964)
    Beach Party (1963)Elfego Baca: Six Gun Law (1962)

Anyone know these?
    I'd say close but no cigar. At least on that exact picture.
    Album cover has right leg forward, Annette has left leg forward, Annette has fringes, Ms. Backspacer does not, and Ms. Backspacer has shoes, Annette we can't see, but it was a beach movie, so she was probably barefoot.

I know many years ago I saw at least in part Beach Blanket Bingo and How to Stuff a Wild Bikini, one of the local Boston stations used to show these movies on Saturday afternoons when I was a kid.

And of course there's the Monkees/Jack Nicholson collaberation "Head" a veritable cinematic masterpiece...Ok I couldn't type that with a straight face.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    am i on invisible mode?

check out the link in my previous post for "ms. Backspacer"

EDIT for those who don't want to link

7401_Hollywood_Diner_Poster.jpg
  • Options
    am i on invisible mode?

Close, but no cigar, me thinks.

The dress and shoes are different colours and styles, and the legs are in a different position.

I think it's still a mystery.
  • Options
    now you're definitely looking too deep into it if you dont think that's a match
  • Options

well what makes you so sure it's the right one? the other one is pretty damn close too. closer than yours i'd say.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've seen that poster too and what's the backstory behind it? With all the other images, there's at least a description on the 'net of who or what is in that image. The photo just looks like a generic diner shot.
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Options
    moozeekfan wrote:
    Yeah, I've seen that poster too and what's the backstory behind it? With all the other images, there's at least a description on the 'net of who or what is in that image. The photo just looks like a generic diner shot.

it's elvis presley on the far left, marilyn monroe is the woman, james dean on the far right and marlon brando in the pink shirt.
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    am i on invisible mode?

I don't know if you're right, but that version of Marilyn Monroe can sit on my stool any day.

Edit: Em, stool might not be the best term to use in this instance...
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    JohnnyGuitarWatson-3HoursPastMidnig.jpg79beebcf.jpg
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,817
    Best 20 consecutive pages I've read on this forum in a long time...
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    i know these ain't right but oh well.

Pajamis-Blankets-Movie-Night4-1.jpg

Hello-Betty-Boop-web.jpg
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options

I think it has to be the exact match too, the legs are in the wrong position and the shoe is not exactly the same, i wouldn't think it has to be a match if the other 2 weren't, Ursula Andrews and Raquel Welch are in the exact position as the picture of their famous characters, so the third one must be too.

I hope they do an interview with Tom Tomorrow on DEEP next time so he can explain it all to us :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Is anybody volunteering to collate this info, I've kind of been trying to follow all of this thread but it is soooo confusing. As far as I get it, each panel represents a song from the album and the pictures are copies of old stuff from pop culture, right? Does anyone know enough about it all to quickly recap for us morons who haven't followed the amazing treasue hunt you have all been taking part in?
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,959
    I'd say its worth reading through the whole thread tbh.
    Nature drunk and High