Options

Hidden Findings discovered in Backspacer Cover (Updated)

Comments

• Options
    I'd say its worth reading through the whole thread tbh.

I'm just too lazy...! and I'm saving myself for your review of Binaural ;)
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,959
    LOL, tell you what mate - you read this thread and I promise to keep my review very short.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Can anyone please sum up what the result is so far?

By the way - the yellow fish in the 4th picture could relate to Jeff Ament´s sideproject Three Fish.

Don´t know if this has already been stated...
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    To me the legs to the left look like the legs of Tina Turner. The colour fits, the era-theme fits, the short dress/nightie look fits, but I just can´t find the right picture.
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    someone please find the red legs. i can't keep searching for 1960s movie moments...
  • Options
    best reading I had in a long while
    intresting finds and great fun to see all those speculations (and spot on similar pics/drawings)

AWESOME, keep up the good work y'all !!!!
    This land is mine, this land is free, I'll do what I want but irresponsibly

#192XXX
  • Options
    New York times article on Tom Tomorrow and how the inspiration of the cover came to be. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/arts/music/08pearl.html :D
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    Nice article, thanks
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    New York times article on Tom Tomorrow and how the inspiration of the cover came to be. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/arts/music/08pearl.html :D

Thanks so much, Crazy Marcus!!!

Wow...now he's too good to even email to anymore! :shock: He's more famous now!

*removes him from my email addy book* :P ;)

That was a really great article!

Wow... can you imagine how much nerves it takes to walk up to Ed and "can you give me a job?"

glad it worked out well in the end! :mrgreen:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,944
    Interesting - we can expect at least one more Tom Tomorrow concert poster, then!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    What does it mean?
    subscriber-only edition of the October issue of Spin
    I can't get that cover unless I subscribe? :(
    PJ: 07-16-06 ; 08-28-09 ; 10-23-10 ; 11-26-13
    EV: 04-08-08 ; 07-05-11
    Mike: 07-07-11 ; 05-20-12
    Soundgarden: 07-21-11

10C #271XXX
    Since 2002
  • Options
    Tom Tomorrow clarifies the NY article:
    http://thismodernworld.com/4890

September 7, 2009
    Tom Tomorrow:
    Part of the family

There’s a great article in Tuesday’s New York Times about my collaboration with Pearl Jam (already online here). One small error at the beginning though: I didn’t contact Eddie after I lost all the VVM papers because I wanted a poster gig — I contacted him because I was contacting everyone I knew in cities where I’d lost a paper, encouraging them to write letters to the editor.

What I actually said was to the writer that I’d known Eddie a long time, but never in my wildest dreams expected to be tapped for an album cover — at most, I kind of hoped that maybe someday I might get to do a poster for the band, but it wasn’t something I was ever going to bug him about.

Apart from that small nit, though, I really can’t complain ..!

… adding: this seems like good news — apparently the rest of my old papers are now free to reinstate the strip at their own discretion.

Lately Mr. Perkins has gotten some good news: last week “This Modern World” returned to The Village Voice. Andy Van De Voorde, the executive associate editor of Village Voice Media, said it would be up to the discretion of each paper in the chain whether to reinstate the strip, and so far no others have.

Sounds like a good time to contact the editors, if you live in one of the affected cities (which I am deliberately not listing, to avoid astroturfing — much better if the letters they get are from real readers aware of the situation) … and you Village Voice readers, don’t forget to send your thanks…

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 7:07 PM
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    channelx.jpg
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    Oh man this thread is amazing and exhausting in equal abundance....!!!! :)
  • Options
    RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    We need an overview because to search this topic is sh*t...

How about topicstarter to put everything in the first post...

Will be much easier to check the findings of the cover ;)
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Options
    RideRick wrote:
    We need an overview because to search this topic is sh*t...

How about topicstarter to put everything in the first post...

Will be much easier to check the findings of the cover ;)

I'll see what I can do. Was hoping to wait until we completely solve this thing but that goal is becoming more and more elusive.
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited September 2009
    By popular demand, I've included an update to the original post as a swift alternative for those who don't care to trudge through the past twenty-some pages (even though it's well worth it). It's meant to only brush upon the dense amount of info that has been discussed. Let me know if I missed anything of significant importance.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Options
    By popular demand, I've included an update to the original post as a swift alternative for those who don't care to trudge thru the past three hundred and some posts (even though it's well worth it).

I agree. :D But thanks for taking the trouble to update your first post with additional information! Nice job on recapping the entire thread! :mrgreen:
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    IamMine wrote:
    By popular demand, I've included an update to the original post as a swift alternative for those who don't care to trudge thru the past three hundred and some posts (even though it's well worth it).

I agree. :D But thanks for taking the trouble to update your first post with additional information! Nice job on recapping the entire thread! :mrgreen:

No problem. I also added some links to the first post of the original material Tom Tomorrow appropriated.
  • Options
    IamMine wrote:

No problem. I also added some links to the first post of the original material Tom Tomorrow appropriated.

Nice,

So, there is still no exact match on some of the first frame, on the legs in the red dress and on the meaning behind the Seattle picture.

Are we still assuming that each picture represents a song on the album?
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    So, there is still no exact match on some of the first frame, on the legs in the red dress and on the meaning behind the Seattle picture.
    Are we still assuming that each picture represents a song on the album?

I read Tom Tomorrow put the Empire State Lady "amongst the waves" without even knowing Eddie was writing that song. Of course, Johnny Guitar is the obvious one. The rest may or may not be more implicit, depending if the lyric sheets and album package reveal anything. I've looked endlessly for the locomotive but it's just one dead end after another. By now, we have an entire think tank looking for those legs.
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 498
    One of the all time great threads - thanks everyone!

For what it's worth, I just got the Fixer 45, and the two circles in the corners (PJ and Backspacer) DO glow in the dark.

Wonder if certain images on the LP will light up and shed some light (pun intended) on the mystery.
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024 Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 498
    The mystery of the little red dress now solved...

Sandy-Orphan-Annies-Dog.jpg
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024 Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2
  • Options
    If you want to go ahead and make a separate thread about this news - go ahead. I feel like a stalker if I do! ;)

_______________________________________________________________________________

http://thismodernworld.com/4896

September 9th, 2009
    Tom Tomorrow:
    It’s only rock and roll

appleevent.jpg

From today’s Apple press event. Via.

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 2:00 PM
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    IamMine wrote:
    If you want to go ahead and make a separate thread about this news - go ahead. I feel like a stalker if I do! ;)

_______________________________________________________________________________

http://thismodernworld.com/4896

September 9th, 2009
    Tom Tomorrow:
    It’s only rock and roll

appleevent.jpg

From today’s Apple press event. Via.

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 2:00 PM

cool shit! what is that!?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    I think this thread might come back alive soon...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,560

cool shit! what is that!?
    Steve Jobs threw it up on the screen during yesterday's(?) Apple Music Event. Bill Gates will probably go with REO Speedwagon when he unveils the next Zune :mrgreen: . Yeah, I'm a Mac snob.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    igotid_8 wrote:
    The mystery of the little red dress now solved...

Sandy-Orphan-Annies-Dog.jpg

lol!!
  • Options
    LOL