Options

Hidden Findings discovered in Backspacer Cover (Updated)

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Man what the Hell is This? I started at the beginning thumbing through this thread not realizing how many pages it had. Ledderman10 told me about it after I posted how I liked his Johnny Guitar Watson toon avatar. He sent me here and how I wished I had jumped in from the beginning.

This was amazing and I love mysteries and so do many of you :D !

Anyway here's JGW live of whom I saw back in NYC. Hell of an entertainer, funkmaster and guitarist.

Vedder was inspired to write the lyrics for "Johnny Guitar" after viewing a collage of album covers that is pasted on the bathroom wall of the band's rehearsal space. He noticed the album cover for Johnny "Guitar" Watson's 1979 album, What the Hell Is This?, and imagined a man who becomes attracted to one of the various women on the cover and then wonders why this woman would rather be one of Watson's many girlfriends instead of his only one.

Johnny *GUITAR* Watson A Real Mother For Ya

J *GUITAR* W Gangster Of Love

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    :mrgreen:

I am so glad to be still reading some more good stuff.... I will be sad to see this end when we all get our CDs/LPs.... fun over here, at least for this thread. :cry:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    doompony wrote:
    someone please find the red legs. i can't keep searching for 1960s movie moments...

I almost thought she could possibly be from "Attack of the 50 ft. Woman" but I couldn't find any shots showing if she wore heels in the movie.
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:
    doompony wrote:
    someone please find the red legs. i can't keep searching for 1960s movie moments...

I almost thought she could possibly be from "Attack of the 50 ft. Woman" but I couldn't find any shots showing if she wore heels in the movie.

I'm pretty sure she was barefooted.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Hey just heard *Got Some* on ESPN Sportscenter

Peace

• Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    BEST THREAD EVER!
    Loving it
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    so just throwing it out that I love the fact that all the pictures hark "back" to another time ...
    backspacing it to years ago. I know that technically the word backspacer doesn't have to do with back-in-time, but still having the word "back" in there helps with the visuals for me. the images perfectly match the title because the title is associated with another thing from back in time (typewriters).

1st panel: 1950s-1960s gives off a Stand By Me vibe, and has the old steam engine locomotive
    2nd panel: 1960s those models sold as toys back in the day
    3rd: 1920s
    4th: 1940s-1950s
    5th: 1800s - 1950s
    6th: 1960s-70s
    7th: 1970s
    8th: 1940s

and the whole "comics" look harks back to another time as well. at least when I think of comics I think of older times when kids used to read them religiously before tv.
    Tom being as old as he is was the perfect artist for this job! job well done~
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I am loving this thread.

I have wracked my brains trying to think of a contemporary poster for the 3rd set of legs (to go with Raquel Welch and Ursula Andress). One that hadn't been mentioned that I remembered being popular around that time was Barbarella (Jane Fonda) so I tried looking at posters from that, since I didn't really remember exactly what it looked like. Wasn't even close:

News%20-%20Barbarella_Jane_Fonda.jpg

I'll keep thinking about it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Bump.
    I've loved following this.
    Has anyone thought that the legs in red dress could be someone futuristic?
    We have legs from BC, then legs from Bond.
    Could it be some sort of timeline thing?
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    edited September 2009
    Jo wrote:
    Bump.
    I've loved following this.
    Has anyone thought that the legs in red dress could be someone futuristic?
    We have legs from BC, then legs from Bond.
    Could it be some sort of timeline thing?

You mean like Uhura (sp?) form Star Trek? Futuristic and from the 60's/70's at the same time, no?

I was thinking Diana Ross or Tina Turner myself. I almost found it on the cover of "Tina Live" but the feet are in the wrong position.
    Post edited by HeavyHands on
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    how about a really skanky kelly le brock?
  • Options
    ^^^Weird Science is a little too contemporary, me thinks.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    red shoe diaries? with david duchovny. maybe one of the boys is a closet x files nerd?
  • Options
    in that interview with ed from toronto where he's talkin' about the songs he said something about a dude falling in love with a girl on an album cover.. maybe the red dress legs are from an album cover... since tina turner is a contender, could it have something to do with her role in Tommy?
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    turnerlegs.jpg

:?:
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    My partner reckons the 'red' legs belong to his fav Liz Hurley.................maybe Austin Power movie?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    turnerlegs.jpg

Very close, but album shoes are black, and knee is bent more.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    man i really hope we are given the answers soon................the red dress has been keeping me up at night
  • Options
    I just went through pages of Tom Tomorrow strips hoping it was an image he had used before...but nothing there.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    turnerlegs.jpg

Very close, but album shoes are black, and knee is bent more.

Right. That's the shot from Tina Live. But I hadn't suggested that particular shot for the reasons UncleSpaggles mentioned. Pretty darn close though. I gave it some serious thought but I don't think that the other pictures Tom Tomorrow appropriated were modified that much.
  • Options
    The other two pairs of legs are sooooo iconic though, it should be obvious. Argh!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    The other two pairs of legs are sooooo iconic though, it should be obvious. Argh!

In thinking about the word "legs" as a nickname the only person that comes to mind is Madeline Kahn as Lily VonSchtupp in Blazing Saddles because of that Harvey Korman line "Lily Lily Lily leeeggggsss Lily..." but I can't seem to locate a shot.
  • Options
    If it's any consolation Poncier I knew it was Tina the moment I saw the picture. Aren't her legs insured for millions? None like them - evah! Saw her recently on a show and she still is smokin and hasn't downsized the stiletto heels a centimeter and looks fantastic. She's an awesome woman I admire greatly. Turns 70 this year, hard to believe it.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    You'd think so.
    It's probably Tom Tomorrow's mother.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Jo wrote:
    My partner reckons the 'red' legs belong to his fav Liz Hurley.................maybe Austin Power movie?

The Austin Power's movie.
    Some 'Bond' type bloke, waking up in the 'Future' ( Spaceships included ) in ' Todays world'
    The strappy, black, high heel shoes seem to be far too sexy to belong to an earlier period.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong..........please..............i need sleep......... :arrow:
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I think Liz Hurley's legs are way skinnier and paler - those legs have shape and a bit of colour too.
  • Options
    This is probably gonna get me in hot water (even that phrase seems politically incorrect), but I think the legs have to belong to a black woman - having a black man surrounded by white women may be still too soon for some states..?

Feel free to laugh at me, I'm from the UK.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    but I think the legs have to belong to a black woman -.

At one time I was thinking Halle Berry. In Swordfish she has a little red dress and high heels, but the shoes aren't the same and I can't find the 'pose'. But I would also think a darker skinned person (or maybe mediterranean?).
  • Options
    i know the fire technically isn't there, but this train is "hellbound" and as the myth goes there's fire in hell...also not sure if this has already been posted as a possibility and i'm apologizing now for not sifting through every thread...at work right now and my lunch is pretty much over LOL.

as for the boy, the second song on this album is called "lost and lonely child"

anyway...

Savoy+Brown+-+1972+-+Hellbound+Train.jpg
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Tom Tomorrow explains the message behind the art in this article (i think it's on page 2):

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1613 ... row-part-1
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.