Options

Hidden Findings discovered in Backspacer Cover (Updated)

Comments

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Poncier wrote:
    Damn you Tom Yesterday.

LMAO!! :lol:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    bd10 wrote:
    when I saw the TV, I immediately thought Danny Bonaduce. http://www.cmongethappy.com/gallery/bonaduce/gallerydannypinkstripes
    How about an older Bobby Brady?
    Bobby_bradybunch1.jpg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited August 2009
    "Houston, we have a match!!!"

pearljambackspacer6.jpg

http://www.spacecollection.info/us_gemi ... 4_fdc1.jpg

Sorry about the absence of the second picture but it appeared too large for the message board to accept. Please follow the link I have placed above. Damn, I wish I could show you both pictures side by side.
    If you tilt the image a few degrees (and flip it of course), they are identical. Mr. Tomorrow inked the one arm a little differently to show more detail and neglected to draw the bulky torso area. I chalk that up to artistic license. Other parts, like the foot, are dead on. He's even holding something that can easily be replaced with a drumstick. Please note, the "negative space" of the astronauts are exactly alike.

Here's the skinny on it: "This cover from an unknown cachet, commemorates White's space walk and is cancelled on the 3-June-1965 at Cape Canaveral." -whatever that means.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I should reiterate the astronaut depicted, Edward White, was the first American to go on a spacewalk. Enimmi from the Red Mosquito message board reminded me of his gruesome demise along with the rest of the Apollo 1 crew. Granted, the image itself doesn't focus on death, like the Empire State Building lady, rather the glory of his accomplishment. Still, background info could prove pertinent.

By the by, great job everyone. Slowly but surely. If we figure them all out by Sept. 20th, we should be treated to a pancake breakfast by the band. Of course not all of us can attend. So I say the guys make us the pancakes first at PJ headquarters. Then seal and mail them in envelopes, syrup and all. :D
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    I really enjoyed reading the past 13 + pages. thanks to everyone who contributed.

someone with some time on their hands should photoshop a "discovered images Backspacer" cover with all the found images... would but I'm at work.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I really enjoyed reading the past 13 + pages. thanks to everyone who contributed.

someone with some time on their hands should photoshop a "discovered images Backspacer" cover with all the found images... would but I'm at work.

That's a humdinger of an idea! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before we solve all of them.
  • Options
    Nice work on the astronaut pleatherman..!
  • Options
    Nice work on the astronaut pleatherman..!

Thank you. I'm almost embarassed to say searching for this reference took up a very large portion of the last few days. If anyone has become half as obsessed with discovering where these illustrations originate from, I sincerely apologize because I was the one who started this blasted thread! That said, none of your lives will be complete until we finish this thing.
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,269
    Played with Paint

2mhzaew.jpg

I'm calling this backspacer image solved. :D
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    antelopeantelope Posts: 55
    Played with Paint

2mhzaew.jpg

I'm calling this backspacer image solved. :D

And here it is with the original reference slightly rotated to better match the Backspacer artwork.

dqna7s.jpg

Well done for finding this!
  • Options
    By now, I think it's obvious that most, if not all, of the pictures in the artwork are blatant copies of existing images. So now I guess the real question isn't what images he's copying but why he's copying them and I don't think it's because Tom Tomorrow can't figure out how to draw his own astronaut, brain in a vat or magician.

I think it could possibly have to do with the Carl Jung's concept of the Collective Unconscious and some of the characters in the artwork may be viewed as modern archetypes. I haven't delved into this too much further. It's also interesting to note that Jung's autobiography is titled: "Memories, Dreams, Reflections."
  • Options
    Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    backspacersmall.jpg

Here's what I've stiched together so far.

#1. I haven't seen anyone find a good enough match yet. If you find it, let me know.
    #2. Hirst's artwork copies an anotomy toy... and is "copied" by Tom Tomorrow for Backspacer.
    #3. This appears to be a composite of two posters for the magician known as Thurston. One poster has the skull and ghostly things coming out of it (strangely including a tamborine), but Tom Tomorrow has added some stuff like the eyes and additional sirens/muses/ghosts. The tophat so far appears added by Tom Tomorrow.
    #4. You have to look close at this one. But I have added in a painting of Seattle underwater that appears to have the same vantage point as Tom Tomorrow's version. The Space Needle and building touching it in the painting appear virtually identical in both versions. Original painting appears to be done by Liza Phoenix, of Seattle. It is worth noting that other buildings in Phoenix's painting do not match with Tom Tomorrow's version.
    #5. This brain photo was taken by Gaetan Lee and is of Charles Babbage's brain in the Science Museum of London. Babbage is credited with developing the first computer.
    #6. This image is from the first spacewalk by Ed White.
    #7. This is the Thurston face on top "Gilligan" and it is strangely accurate as a match. I am not convinced that it is 100%, but I have added it for others to review. The robot appears a nearly identical match to a photo of the Lost In Space robot.
    #8. The legs of the center female are essentially a perfect match of Raquel Welch. The bikini on the right appears to closely match Ursala Andress in Dr. No.
    #9. An exact match of Evelyn McHale suicide.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    backspacersmall.jpg

#1. I haven't seen anyone find a good enough match yet. If you find it, let me know.
    #2. Hirst's artwork copies an anotomy toy... and is "copied" by Tom Tomorrow for Backspacer.
    #3. This appears to be a composite of two posters for the magician known as Thurston. One poster has the skull and ghostly things coming out of it (strangely including a tamborine), but Tom Tomorrow has added some stuff like the eyes and additional sirens/muses/ghosts. The tophat so far appears added by Tom Tomorrow.
    #4. You have to look close at this one. But I have added in a painting of Seattle underwater that appears to have the same vantage point as Tom Tomorrow's version. The Space Needle and building touching it in the painting appear virtually identical in both versions. Original painting appears to be done by Liza Phoenix, of Seattle. It is worth noting that other buildings in Phoenix's painting do not match with Tom Tomorrow's version.
    #5. This brain photo was taken by Gaetan Lee and is of Charles Babbage's brain in the Science Museum of London. Babbage is credited with developing the first computer.
    #7. This is the Thurston face on top "Gilligan" and it is strangely accurate as a match. I am not convinced that it is 100%, but I have added it for others to review. The robot appears a nearly identical match to a photo of the Lost In Space robot.
    #8. The legs of the center female are essentially a perfect match of Raquel Welch. The bikini on the right appears to closely match Ursala Andress in Dr. No.

fantastic job
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    backspacersmall.jpg

Good job.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    in number 7 who is the lady in the tv.... and in 8 the red dress is not a dress it is a nitie maybe mrs robinson...
    NEVER GIVE UP
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    backspacersmall.jpg

soulfire42, nicely done !!!!!!!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    backspacersmall.jpg

sweet. great 14 page read people....wish i could have helped....i wonder what Tom Tomorrow would say about this? about fans cracking it so quick....GREAT JOB everyone.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Project+Runway+EstherAPreview.jpg

pearljambackspacer4.jpg
    This one's a little more iffy. The main discrepancy is the position of the waist and bent leg. Like the astronaut, you'll have to flip and tilt the picture to better correlate the two images. Also, like the astronauts, one hand is posed differently. The swimmer's foot on the extended leg doesn't match. The bathing suit has a different cut. Oh yeah, and she's wearing a frickin' cap and cape. There are a few other minor inconsistencies. It could just be that this is an iconic pose and there are many others like it. But if you get past all that you will find an uncanny resemblance between the two. I'll leave up to you guys/gals to judge its validness. The lady's name is Esther Williams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Williams
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659

pearljambackspacer4.jpg
    This one's a little more iffy. The main discrepancy is the position of the waist and bent leg. Like the astronaut, you'll have to flip and tilt the picture to better correlate the two images. Also, like the astronauts, one hand is posed differently. The swimmer's foot on the extended leg doesn't match. The bathing suit has a different cut. Oh yeah, and she's wearing a frickin' cap and cape. There are a few other minor inconsistencies. It could just be that this is an iconic pose and there are many others like it. But if you get past all that you will find an uncanny resemblance between the two. I'll leave up to you guys/gals to judge its validness. The lady's name is Esther Williams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Williams

You are right with Esther Williams, however I think there was a different picture I saw either here or on RM that had her with the cap and cape that made it seem a little more obvious.
  • Options
    mvw wrote:

pearljambackspacer4.jpg

You are right with Esther Williams, however I think there was a different picture I saw either here or on RM that had her with the cap and cape that made it seem a little more obvious.

Was the pose the same?
  • Options
    No. I just looked back at the picture(posted on pg. 7 of this thread) and the pose is not even close, but the outfit is almost dead on.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    mvw wrote:
    No. I just looked back at the picture(posted on pg. 7 of this thread) and the pose is not even close, but the outfit is almost dead on.

The pose of Esther Williams with Tom and Jerry (on pg. 8) is much closer. I gotta start looking at the back pages of this thread more often. Thanks for noticing. Do you think the drawing is a combination of different images? The cape in the picture you mentioned, the bottom half (w/ alterations) from the Tom and Jerry pic, and the top half, but tilted, from the one I posted. Plus a swimming cap. It works rather well. Or am I reaching too far? I understand Mr. Tomorrow would alter some things for the sake of composition. I'd still like to see a closer resemblance in the face, though.
    200px-Dangerous_When_Wet.JPG
    pearljambackspacer4.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    in number 7 who is the lady in the tv.... and in 8 the red dress is not a dress it is a nitie maybe mrs robinson...
    Without checking, I'm pretty sure Mrs. Robinson's negligee was black.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Poncier wrote:
    Black, leopard, no red...

Maybe it's Mrs. Tomorrow's legs?!!... :?
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:

I think you're right. When I was checking this before I believe I read black or blue.
  • Options
    I still think that the legs on the left belong to Farrah, with the image rotated and changed enough to be a woman standing. The red clothing (bathing suit) matches, one leg straight while the other is bent at the knee matches (though the left and right have been switched). Fits for being an iconic sex symbol of the 60's/70's easily as well.

farrahfawcettposter.jpg
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options
    Judge Sonia Sotomayor is the lady in the tv.... or what other woman from the past has a close up like that on tv that is famous....
    NEVER GIVE UP
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    I still think that the legs on the left belong to Farrah, with the image rotated and changed enough to be a woman standing. The red clothing (bathing suit) matches, one leg straight while the other is bent at the knee matches (though the left and right have been switched). Fits for being an iconic sex symbol of the 60's/70's easily as well.

farrahfawcettposter.jpg

stretching too much I think. the other legs in the panel are 60s, so the fact that Farah's is 70s doesn't help. I think what you're describing is just a common woman pose.
    we have to keep hunting...
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    check out red mosquito board thread for johnny guitar find!
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    ^^^^ thanks for the tip

3796201721_d4ec73f72e_m.jpg