Options

Jesus and Eddie: someone has to say it

Comments

• Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    I think this is one of the questions that keeps me listening and anticipating. The first things i notice in the lyrics are christian references.(i don't want to list them all, but there are plenty ex: the first six songs on Yield). I often forget and get lost in the fact that PJ is a cultural/political force in this country. To be painted into a corner or be labeled as this or that is something they have made every effort to avoid. Now when some one asks, what is PJ? The answer isn't a grunge band or an alternative band it's one of the most influential rock and roll bands ever. What is rock and roll? well that's what ever you make it to be. Sounds really corny, but that's the only conclusion i can come to.

I would just add (regarding the songs on Yield) that the lyrics on that album were influenced by Ed reading Daniel Quinn's book Ishmael. You should check it out, it's a good read.

As for Ed's religious beliefs, I guess only he knows but here's what on says on the 7/8/03 bootleg at the end of Faithful:

"I said faith in something bigger I don't know about that,
    It's faith that it's all going to work out"
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    I think this is one of the questions that keeps me listening and anticipating. The first things i notice in the lyrics are christian references.(i don't want to list them all, but there are plenty ex: the first six songs on Yield). I often forget and get lost in the fact that PJ is a cultural/political force in this country. To be painted into a corner or be labeled as this or that is something they have made every effort to avoid. Now when some one asks, what is PJ? The answer isn't a grunge band or an alternative band it's one of the most influential rock and roll bands ever. What is rock and roll? well that's what ever you make it to be. Sounds really corny, but that's the only conclusion i can come to.

I would just add (regarding the songs on Yield) that the lyrics on that album were influenced by Ed reading Daniel Quinn's book Ishmael. You should check it out, it's a good read.

As for Ed's religious beliefs, I guess only he knows but here's what on says on the 7/8/03 bootleg at the end of Faithful:

"I said faith in something bigger I don't know about that,
    It's faith that it's all going to work out"

Ishmael and My Ishmael are great books and I agree Yield was greatly influenced by the work of Mr. Quinn.

You are also right about Ed's comments after faithful. That's the DVD show. He was clear about his questions with of a there being a God.
  • Options
    One of the biggest reasons I connect with this band is the fact that they, and Eddie in particular, aren't afraid to question their "beliefs." Osho said "Doubt is not a sin, it is a sign of your intelligence." It seems like typical Christian arrogance to try and take religious meaning from the lyrics. My understanding from the collective lyrics, is that Ed trancends either believing or not believing in god. There's no need to label it. By saying one believes in god, aren't you inferring that it's possible for god to not exist? It doesn't really matter in the end. One believing or not believing has no effect on what "is." It's an entirely personal journey, and all about perspective.

Religion divides, spirituality unites. There's a higher spiritual plane when you get past so-called beliefs. From the lyrics and interviews, it seems like Ed is at that place, and it is beautiful. Peace, love, and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    MK1980MK1980 Nottingham, UK Posts: 291
    'Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends. You are my friends...'

Pearl Jam has often helped me through tough times in life...and will continue to. Their music is uplifting, beautiful and haunting all at the same time.

'...yet I'm still holding tight, to this distant dream of light, and that somehow I'll survive, but this night has been a long one, waiting on a word (sun),.. that never (just don't) comes...'

Believers (my-self included) should think about the present tense more often, because it 'seems to me it's getting harder to find an approach and a way to live...' rather than either ' re-digesting past regrets' or wishing for something that will happen when it happens.
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    I really don't want to get into this debate but have a question for the op. What scientific community are you talking about here? I am a atheist and I don't know many who support creationism. Just wanted some evidence.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    MK1980 wrote:
    'Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends. You are my friends...'

Pearl Jam has often helped me through tough times in life...and will continue to. Their music is uplifting, beautiful and haunting all at the same time.

'...yet I'm still holding tight, to this distant dream of light, and that somehow I'll survive, but this night has been a long one, waiting on a word (sun),.. that never (just don't) comes...'

Believers (my-self included) should think about the present tense more often, because it 'seems to me it's getting harder to find an approach and a way to live...' rather than either ' re-digesting past regrets' or wishing for something that will happen when it happens.
    I like your post, Pearl Jam helps me to live in the present tense. To appreciate my life, my love and God's world. I think it grounds me to here instead of the longing I have had in the past to know "there". As a believer that can be all encompassing to the point of missing the wonderful here God gave us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
  • Options
    Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    "I'd like to thank God, but I don't believe in it, for all of his love and support." -- Eddie Vedder
    June 24, 2008, Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    "....and there is no God with a plan, it's sad"......Eddie "Sad"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but was listening to one of the Philly shows the other night & at one point Ed said somehting about God...... 'if there is one'.... So there ya go. That was his stance as of October last year.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    morello wrote:
    Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but was listening to one of the Philly shows the other night & at one point Ed said somehting about God...... 'if there is one'.... So there ya go. That was his stance as of October last year.

So Eddie is an agnostic, who cares, he writes good music.
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• Options
    SpinTheWishlistSpinTheWishlist Posts: 43
    edited April 2010
    ..People who say they are one religion or another have just reached the point of never questioning anything or themselves again. They have already hit the end of the journey and have said that I am "this" or I am "that," and they want everyone else in the world to make a decision right now or else. They have to know. For what reason do they have to know. If it is out of curiosity than ok, but it never is. It is about "Are you with me or are you not?" ... Why don't you do something that is harder then praying for us and just accept us and try to challenge yourself to evolve.
    i wish
    Post edited by SpinTheWishlist on
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    One of the biggest reasons I connect with this band is the fact that they, and Eddie in particular, aren't afraid to question their "beliefs." Osho said "Doubt is not a sin, it is a sign of your intelligence." It seems like typical Christian arrogance to try and take religious meaning from the lyrics. My understanding from the collective lyrics, is that Ed trancends either believing or not believing in god. There's no need to label it. By saying one believes in god, aren't you inferring that it's possible for god to not exist? It doesn't really matter in the end. One believing or not believing has no effect on what "is." It's an entirely personal journey, and all about perspective.

Religion divides, spirituality unites. There's a higher spiritual plane when you get past so-called beliefs. From the lyrics and interviews, it seems like Ed is at that place, and it is beautiful. Peace, love, and Pearl Jam.
    actually this says it all so much better than i ever could.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    jones wrote:
    PERFECTION.jpg

DEAR GOD DON'T STRIKE ME DEAD FOR LAUGHING MY ASS OFF AT THIS PICTURE..
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    As a Christian myself, I have come to learn that patience is the key to life, just allow things to fall into place, and do what YOU as an individual ( and sometimes as a church) are supposed to do, and your life will be honored by those around you.. I have also learned VERY well that other people hate being preached at, so while I carry my Bible with me everywhere, I have long since quit thumping people's heads with it. All I can say is my interpretation of the whole thing is.. Ed is responsible for his own beliefs, just as we are for ours. No one really knows what happens after we die. Regardless of what anyone says, I am inclined to wait, and see for myself...upholding the responsibility I object myself to through my beliefs, and taking what comes.

I have also learned that EVERYTHING in life not just the Bible or music is open to interpretation, this I believe has made me a better person, and as consequence, a better Christian.. Alot of my church thinks I'm a hypocrite for going to church and listening to secular music (Pearl Jam of course) on THE WAY there. But like I said it's ALLLLLLL open to interpretation, mine is this: God knows who we'll most likely listen to, therefore he puts those people [ or in this case] bands in our lives to give us the inspiration and drive to continue moving forward in our lives. Present Tense changed my life just like becoming a Christian changed my attitude and my outlook on life and other people..Of course God still has His work cut out for him there... cause I still pretty much hate the rest of the outside world, so.. LOL Anyhow neat thread..
  • Options
    I don't know if Eddie believes in God but God believes in Eddie and is quite proud of how he brings us together in love. It is the plan.
  • Options
    Oh God, here I am on a religious topic :| LOL

Anyway, here is the way I see it:

I think Ed makes a point to not take a stance on one side of the fence. If you look at the lyrics, there are lyrics that could lead you to believe either way. It seems to me he is a master at taking himself out of the situation and looking at it objectively. I don't think he has ever said either way and I'm sure that's how he wants it to be. However, from my humble viewpoint, he is not a Bible thumper, but to say he is an atheist is a stretch too. If I had to go on lyrics only, I think there is more to support that he has a belief in something or at least some faith in something higher. However, he is very critical of it, as people on both sides of the argument make it very easy to be at times. Also, look how much his life has changed in the past few years (wife and children), people change, so who knows if he believes the same way he did 10-20 years ago? Not many of us do. Anyway, I think he want's his own personal religion to remain private. He is very respectful of our beliefs and I think we should be the same toward him. I've read several previous post and it seems to me that many are finding a small remark made years and years ago and holding on to that. Some of them I read I could make at least two or three interpretations of the meaning of the statement. So, my thoughts are that his religion (or lack of religion) is part of his private life and that is how he means it to be.

(On a side note, I attend church some and yes, there are even some thieves and lairs that sing in the choir, it's just how it is. Not only Ed, but the Bible recognizes that.)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    pandora wrote:
    I don't know if Eddie believes in God but God believes in Eddie and is quite proud of how he brings us together in love. It is the plan.

Thanks for giving us your opinion.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Thanks for giving us your opinion.
    you are welcome, you know I love you oh scary one ;)
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Why does everything have to be religious? Let me ask it again, why does everything have to be religious? Religion is an absolute. People who say they are one religion or another have just reached the point of never questioning anything or themselves again. They have already hit the end of the journey and have said that I am "this" or I am "that," and they want everyone else in the world to make a decision right now or else. They have to know. For what reason do they have to know. If it is out of curiosity than ok, but it never is. It is about "Are you with me or are you not?" The funny thing that with almost every religion (especially Christianity) the basis for that religion is accepting everyone and love. Religion should be personal and the whole community aspect of it causes people to feel a need to categorize themselves. Well, I personally think that deep down inside, Eddie and the rest of PJ are still on the journey. They have accepted some things as true in their minds, but have not made any absolute answers and have not categorized themselves. They respect the process of continuously added to their ideas of religion, spirituality, etc. What I think they do know for sure is that typical religious people are so set in their ways that they never evolve and are now so far behind reality . Yet, they accept you and don't categorize you. However, they are categorized for that as atheists or ant-religious. Well, if continuing to better yourself and to follow love and to never reach an absolute ending truth is anti-religious then "LETS' CATEGORIZE THEM AS ANTI-RELIGIOUS" and I be the first one to join them. Anti-religion is the new religion and we don't need anyone praying for us. Why don't you do something that is harder then praying for us and just accept us and try to challenge yourself to evolve.

Religious people are so afraid about how the world will end and if they are ready, when in fact they are the ones who may cause the world to end.

There is a difference between religion and spirtuality. Religion was invented to control people with a judging God. Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell, spirtuality is for those who have been there already.
  • Options
    Wow, what a thread. Me, I think everyone is welcome to their views on religion or spirituality and that no one view is right, better than the other, worse... If you're thinking you're better or smarter than someone because of your views or ideas you believe in, that's just your ego defining it self by an idea/belief. I see lots of spiritual things (..not religious) in pearl jam songs...but that's me wearing my life experience/belief "goggles" that colour what I see and make a connection. Everyone wears goggles that impact their perception and cause them to make connections that they do...and as you age and grow as a person your goggles and views may change. I'm sure EV's views on life have changed as he's aged.

I think alot of PJ songs are purposefully vague/cryptic and open to interpretation..and what makes them so great and a reason so many of us connect with the music. the lyrics mean many different things depending on what road you've travelled and what you've experienced in your life. Since we all belong to this forum, we have something in common. no reason to send hate, insulting, or dismissive comments to anyone here. Reading views written by someone with a different point of view can open your mind and maybe see that your cookie cutter image of a christian, athesist, buddhist, muslim is just that. I was tempted to gloss over posts that don't match my beliefs but thought what the hell I might learn something.

With that i leave you with this article on a chemist who won a Nobel prize this year for discovering something he was ridiculed for by his peers. Keep that mind open.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44788406/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/vindicated-ridiculed-israeli-chemist-wins-nobel/#.TwU6goH-tn8
  • Options
    sven82sven82 Posts: 152
    There are several quotes out there that proof he's an atheist, some from interviews others from concerts, e.g.: "we played here with Bad Religion...Religion is still bad!" or "I would thank God, but I don't believe in it."
    Even the lyrics show that: "I'm a thief, I'm a liar, There's my church I sing in he choir"...
    I'm glad he is an atheist.
    “There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson.” <em>Bart Simpson</em>
    "Never eat more than you can carry" <em>Miss Piggy</em>
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" <em>Stephen Roberts</em>
    "Retired? Fuck off, you're revolting. Look at your suntan, it's leather, it's like LEATHER MAN, your skin. We could make a fucking suitcase out of you. Like a crocodile, fat crocodile, fat bastard. You look like fucking Idi Amin, you know what I mean?" <em>Don Logan</em>
  • Options
    sven82sven82 Posts: 152
    Vedderwt wrote:
    I'll trust Eddie's own words from his Nashville solo show.

"I don't believe in a god"

Jesus isnt coming back.....find a new philosophy.

really? I didn't catch that

I'm not surprised...it is pretty evident in his writings

I'm convinced that at some point popular figures will emerge and be honest about their beliefs....this will lead to many more people doing so...atheism isn't as taboo as it used to be.

Over the years civilizations have created and worshiped many different gods....there is a famous quote that "atheists only believe in one less god than you do" which always made perfect sense to me

See signature ;)
    “There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson.” <em>Bart Simpson</em>
    "Never eat more than you can carry" <em>Miss Piggy</em>
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" <em>Stephen Roberts</em>
    "Retired? Fuck off, you're revolting. Look at your suntan, it's leather, it's like LEATHER MAN, your skin. We could make a fucking suitcase out of you. Like a crocodile, fat crocodile, fat bastard. You look like fucking Idi Amin, you know what I mean?" <em>Don Logan</em>
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

well said. his religious beliefs are HIS business, end of story.
    'You know time is long, and life is short.
    Begin to live while you still can.'

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.-Gilda Radner
  • Options
    SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    There is a difference between religion and spirtuality. Religion was invented to control people with a judging God. Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell, spirtuality is for those who have been there already.

I like that. :thumbup: I believe in a higher power and in the afterlife, but I don't go to church because they only want to judge us and control our lives. I believe in love, and all they teach is hate. :evil:
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    satansbed wrote:
    eddie seemed to believe in god during the writing of yeild, which might be were the religous refrences came from, but here at around 4:50 we see he does not(as of 1998 anyway) anymore

I'm not sure we are listening to the same "Yield". Yield (influenced partially by the book Ishmael) is as un-religious as you get??

M.Y.T.H. is…
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out

And more a few people over the years have tried to compare GTF to the story of Jesus. I can see parallels, but it's a stretch to cite that song as a direct nod to religion and Jesus. And on the flip side: it is possible to reference the story of Jesus without acknowledging him as a god or even acknowledging your religious leanings.

I even remember someone trying to say Ed "just had to be religious" because the word "god" appears in Sometimes (No Code, but still).

How many times has Ed said in concert or interviews that he's not religious or doesn't believe in god? How many more times does he have to say it?

I honestly don't know, or really care, what Ed's religious convictions are. But i would question my status as a fan if they started coming out with overtly religious songs. That's me being honest.

It's hard for me to see posts like this and not stick my $.02 in. I'm not trying to rile anyone up. If you take meaning from songs and it helps you in some way, then far be it for me to try and shoot you down. But this whole idea always seems like more than a stretch to me. I just don't buy it, and it always seems like people trying to force meaning into songs to fit their own beliefs.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    BinFrog wrote:
    If you take meaning from songs and it helps you in some way, then far be it for me to try and shoot you down.

I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with finding different meanings in songs, but it becomes downright creepy when people start dissecting lyrics and finding things that "prove" that he does or does not believe in god or whatever. :? They're lyrics, they could be about anything or anyone.
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • Options
    I love this song... so beautiful ... the last words ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePWkeDxRjE

for me, there has never been a more hopeful line written :D
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited October 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Options
    DinghyDog wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I love this song... so beautiful ... the last words ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePWkeDxRjE

for me, there has never been a more hopeful line written :D

My comuter's not letting me watch it. I don't suppose you could share what song and line you are talking about. I would really like to know.
    oh ... and you know it well ... it is simple and means so much to me :D

Just Breathe (Lyrics)

Artist: Pearl Jam
    Composer: Pearl Jam
    Lyrics:

Yes I understand that every life must end, aw huh,..
    As we sit alone, I know someday we must go, aw huh,..
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love,..

Some folks just have one,
    Others they got none, aw huh,..

Stay with me,..
    Let’s just breathe.

Practiced are my sins,
    Never gonna let me win, aw huh,..
    Under everything, just another human being, aw huh,..
    Yeah, I don’t wanna hurt, there’s so much in this world
    To make me bleed.

Stay with me,..
    You’re all I see.

Did I say that I need you?
    Did I say that I want you?
    Oh, if I didn’t now I’m a fool you see,..
    No one knows this more than me.
    As I come clean.

I wonder everyday
    As I look upon your face, aw huh,..
    Everything you gave
    And nothing you would take, aw huh,..
    Nothing you would take,..
    Everything you gave.

Did I say that I need you?
    Oh, Did I say that I want you?
    Oh, if I didn’t now I’m a fool you see,..
    No one knows this more than me.
    I come clean.

Nothing you would take,..
    Everything you gave.
    Hold me till I die,..
    Meet you on the other side.
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited October 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on