Options

Jesus and Eddie: someone has to say it

In searching the forums for topics maybe this is taboo. I'm new to the 10c and not the best at figuring out the meanings of songs. I think one of the great things about PJ is that we can put ourselves, our situations in the songs and make them something very personal.
I searched the web to find out Ed's faith, and disturbingly he is being claimed by atheists. Based on a quote cica1998. I find this extremely hard to believe. It is widely believed, even in the scientific community it's gaining ground that there is an intelligent creator of earth and life as we know it. Only about 8% of the U.S. claims atheism. And most intelligent thinking people believe in some sort of higher power. I'm not trying to pick a fight w/ the 8%ers, I have found that to be pretty fruitless and ugly.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any input as to where Ed and the band stand today. I read in the fanviews of Nashville that Ed mentioned God, and is playing in a former church tonight. Any other Christian Jammers out there, lets pray for his heart to be opened, if it isn't already.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    its not disturbing at all........ just because the majority believe something doesnt make it right. then it would be okay for the germans to be anti semites in the forties.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    PERFECTION.jpg
  • Options
    I think this is one of the questions that keeps me listening and anticipating. The first things i notice in the lyrics are christian references.(i don't want to list them all, but there are plenty ex: the first six songs on Yield). I often forget and get lost in the fact that PJ is a cultural/political force in this country. To be painted into a corner or be labeled as this or that is something they have made every effort to avoid. Now when some one asks, what is PJ? The answer isn't a grunge band or an alternative band it's one of the most influential rock and roll bands ever. What is rock and roll? well that's what ever you make it to be. Sounds really corny, but that's the only conclusion i can come to.
  • Options
    DL278632DL278632 Posts: 7
    THERE IS SOMETHING VERY SPECIAL THAT HAPPENS WHEN ALL THE MEMBERS OF PEARL JAM COME TO GETHER TO PUT MUSIC TOGETHER. I BELIEVE THEY WANT NOTHING MORE THEN TO BE SINGING ABOUT TRUTH AND WHAT IS RIGHT AND ESPECIALLY THE GREATEST FORCE ON EARTH,LOVE.THE FACT IS NONE OF THESE THINGS EXIST TO ITS FULLEST OUTSIDE OF GODS WORD BECAUSE ITS WHO HE IS, ITS HIS CHARACTER AND NATURE.YOU ARE VERY RIGHT WHEN YOU MENTIONED ALL THE LYRICS POINTING TOWARD SCRIPTURE THAT THEY HAVE,THERE IS ALOT, WHICH TELLS YOU IS COMING FROM THEIR SPIRITS .THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.I BELIEVE THE LORD HAS BEEN TUGGING (JUST AS HE DOES TO US ALL)ON ALL THEIR HEARTS IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS.AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY
  • Options
    Why does everything have to be religious? Let me ask it again, why does everything have to be religious? Religion is an absolute. People who say they are one religion or another have just reached the point of never questioning anything or themselves again. They have already hit the end of the journey and have said that I am "this" or I am "that," and they want everyone else in the world to make a decision right now or else. They have to know. For what reason do they have to know. If it is out of curiosity than ok, but it never is. It is about "Are you with me or are you not?" The funny thing that with almost every religion (especially Christianity) the basis for that religion is accepting everyone and love. Religion should be personal and the whole community aspect of it causes people to feel a need to categorize themselves. Well, I personally think that deep down inside, Eddie and the rest of PJ are still on the journey. They have accepted some things as true in their minds, but have not made any absolute answers and have not categorized themselves. They respect the process of continuously added to their ideas of religion, spirituality, etc. What I think they do know for sure is that typical religious people are so set in their ways that they never evolve and are now so far behind reality . Yet, they accept you and don't categorize you. However, they are categorized for that as atheists or ant-religious. Well, if continuing to better yourself and to follow love and to never reach an absolute ending truth is anti-religious then "LETS' CATEGORIZE THEM AS ANTI-RELIGIOUS" and I be the first one to join them. Anti-religion is the new religion and we don't need anyone praying for us. Why don't you do something that is harder then praying for us and just accept us and try to challenge yourself to evolve.

Religious people are so afraid about how the world will end and if they are ready, when in fact they are the ones who may cause the world to end.
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    MEGATRON wrote:
    PERFECTION.jpg

:D Eddie Vedder is perfect in his imperfection

Anyway, I don't believe in God or Jesus or Budda or whatever, and I couldn't care less about the religious inclination of Eddie and the band
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    eddie seemed to believe in god during the writing of yeild, which might be were the religous refrences came from, but here at around 4:50 we see he does not(as of 1998 anyway) anymore
  • Options
    I found on a website that ed doesn't believe in god (www.celebatheists.com), and there's also a couple quotes of him showing that... he has a strong oppinion and i pretty sure that he's atheist..
  • Options
    In reference to the above post, the interview with Jeanine Garafalo is the one I had mentioned as the only reference I've found, and its 11 years old. I'm wondering if there is any updated info, or a more accurate discussion with Ed about the topic. I haven't found a quote by Ed claiming outright to be an atheist, a christian, agnostic, or whatever. Back in 1998, he seemed to have a lot of questions about God. And its hard to not be turned off to force fed faith. But I'm wondering what answers he's gotten since then and how his views have evolved. Especially since having children. I don't think you can appreciate the mystery and miracle of life until you help to create one and see it enter the world. And see that it has its own soul.

I also think that is why "everything has to be religious". (Well, i hate the term religious, actually. it simply conjurs up images of hypocrites and rules). But I think it has to do with our souls. This is my theory. As human beings, we are born with souls that are connected to God. But when we "lose our innocence" or make that first deliberate decision to break the basic moral code (that all humans seem to inexplicably have), that connection is severed. And we spend the rest of our lives either trying to find our way back, running away from, or just filling the hole with whatever we can: work, pleasure, objects, etc
    So every human has to deal with this faith issue throughout their lives. A lot of PJ lyrics remind me of wrestling with those issues.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    In reference to the above post, the interview with Jeanine Garafalo is the one I had mentioned as the only reference I've found, and its 11 years old. I'm wondering if there is any updated info, or a more accurate discussion with Ed about the topic. I haven't found a quote by Ed claiming outright to be an atheist, a christian, agnostic, or whatever. Back in 1998, he seemed to have a lot of questions about God. And its hard to not be turned off to force fed faith. But I'm wondering what answers he's gotten since then and how his views have evolved. Especially since having children. I don't think you can appreciate the mystery and miracle of life until you help to create one and see it enter the world. And see that it has its own soul.

I also think that is why "everything has to be religious". (Well, i hate the term religious, actually. it simply conjurs up images of hypocrites and rules). But I think it has to do with our souls. This is my theory. As human beings, we are born with souls that are connected to God. But when we "lose our innocence" or make that first deliberate decision to break the basic moral code (that all humans seem to inexplicably have), that connection is severed. And we spend the rest of our lives either trying to find our way back, running away from, or just filling the hole with whatever we can: work, pleasure, objects, etc
    So every human has to deal with this faith issue throughout their lives. A lot of PJ lyrics remind me of wrestling with those issues.
    Hm, I haven't heard that "connection with God" theory before - very cool!

I'm of the belief that God was an organic life form, whose energy was converted into the modern day universe, everything that was, and everything that will be in it. It's not so much a "God is dead" theory, but a "God is everything" theory. I like it, as it helps me feel interconnected with the universe and all its (living and non-living) beauty. I'm part of God, as is everyone and everything. We are all bound together through our common God-provided energy. It also helps me understand Karma - we do something good for someone else, and since we all share energy, we are doing something good for ourselves.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Seek my part could not have said it better.

walkthehemisphere, the reason you say that the term "religious" conjures up thoughts of hypocrisy and rules is because, that is exactly what the term refers to.

As stated by Seek my part, all religions seem to have a mantra of acceptance, and love; but when it comes to reality, all religions are equally as bigoted as one another. A vast majority of the wars in the history of this world have been waged between religions fighting for what they believe in - when if you really dig deep down, you're all just fighting for your version of the same thing.

The simple thesis of all religion is that we simply want to belong and have a purpose. No-one, religious or otherwise, has the right to judge other individuals on his or her own beliefs. As Seek my part stated, and as I mentioned earlier, why is it that religion cannot accept those who do not share their beliefs? Where is the acceptance?

I would respectfully suggest that your breaking the connection theory is someone baseless. Crime, disease, tragedy, they are not religious, they care not who you believe in. There are many a religious person who has broken the connection, and whom use their beliefs as a shield in which to hide behind. As there are many atheists who are not worthy of the life they live.

This world is not black & white. Until religions begin to learn to accept those for who they are, rather than whose team they're on, the gap between us all will continue to widen.
    Any other Christian Jammers out there, lets pray for his heart to be opened, if it isn't already.

Let us instead pray that Eddie remains true to whatever faith that drives him - be it religious, or non-religious.

Let us instead pray that we all become accepting of a person for who they are and not who they follow.

Perhaps Eddie, Stone, and Jack said it best....

Come to send, not condescend
    Transcendental consequence
    Is to transcend where we are
    Who are we? Who we are
    Trampled moss on your souls
    Changes all you're a part
    Seen it all, not at all
    Can't defend fucked up man
    Take me a for a ride before we leave...
    Circumstance, clapping hands
    Driving winds, happenstance
    Off the track, in the mud
    That's the moss in the aforementioned verse

Just a little time, before we leave...
    Stop light, plays its part
    So I would say you've got a part
    What's your part? Who you are
    You are who, who you are
  • Options
    PJ sings and writes songs of love, bettering the world, acceptance, challenges of mankind, etc. The last time I checked these ideas and concepts were not owned by any one religion but really just a part of the process of life. If they were writing songs about making sure your child is baptized or they will go to hell, making sure to go to church every Sunday just to see what other people are wearing, passing judgment onto others, following rules created over a thousand years ago and not evolving, etc. then I would say they are religious. These are the concepts and ideas that are owned by and created by religions.

If you hate something, don't you do it too.
  • Options
    I like the message of acceptance . I know I'm guilty of passing judgment. One of the hard things to swallow in the bible is that there is only one way to the father and that's through the son. So, it's hard to go through life knowing that people you love won't accept that. It really is black and white, some people think it's militant or exclusive or a way to feel better than everyone. It's in that moment that you can suspend disbelief that god raised his son from the dead, that he reveals himself to you, and makes you new truly reborn. i know it sounds like i ate the brown acid, but i have found it to be true. All jesus says you have to do is love god with all your heart and treat others as you wish you were treated, and that's the path to the kingdom of heaven. it's simple, has nothing to do with clothes or baptism or sunday.
    I also believe that evil is at work on this earth, heaven and earth belong to god and his will is done but, we all have free will and the deceiver is rampant(brown acid). Why are there wars, and little kids getting bombed and why does god allow cancer to kill people? Maybe because it's up to us as humans, to stop the wars and cure cancer, does that sound like the end of the road or just the beginning?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Seek my part could not have said it better.

walkthehemisphere, the reason you say that the term "religious" conjures up thoughts of hypocrisy and rules is because, that is exactly what the term refers to.

As stated by Seek my part, all religions seem to have a mantra of acceptance, and love; but when it comes to reality, all religions are equally as bigoted as one another. A vast majority of the wars in the history of this world have been waged between religions fighting for what they believe in - when if you really dig deep down, you're all just fighting for your version of the same thing.

The simple thesis of all religion is that we simply want to belong and have a purpose. No-one, religious or otherwise, has the right to judge other individuals on his or her own beliefs. As Seek my part stated, and as I mentioned earlier, why is it that religion cannot accept those who do not share their beliefs? Where is the acceptance?

I would respectfully suggest that your breaking the connection theory is someone baseless. Crime, disease, tragedy, they are not religious, they care not who you believe in. There are many a religious person who has broken the connection, and whom use their beliefs as a shield in which to hide behind. As there are many atheists who are not worthy of the life they live.

This world is not black & white. Until religions begin to learn to accept those for who they are, rather than whose team they're on, the gap between us all will continue to widen.
    Any other Christian Jammers out there, lets pray for his heart to be opened, if it isn't already.

Let us instead pray that Eddie remains true to whatever faith that drives him - be it religious, or non-religious.

Let us instead pray that we all become accepting of a person for who they are and not who they follow.

Perhaps Eddie, Stone, and Jack said it best....

Come to send, not condescend
    Transcendental consequence
    Is to transcend where we are
    Who are we? Who we are
    Trampled moss on your souls
    Changes all you're a part
    Seen it all, not at all
    Can't defend fucked up man
    Take me a for a ride before we leave...
    Circumstance, clapping hands
    Driving winds, happenstance
    Off the track, in the mud
    That's the moss in the aforementioned verse

Just a little time, before we leave...
    Stop light, plays its part
    So I would say you've got a part
    What's your part? Who you are
    You are who, who you are
    This kind of thinking is what drew me to differentiate between religion, and belief - two radically different ideas. Everyone is entitled to a belief naturally, and I think it benefits every single person with a belief TO believe. On the other hand, sadly, I see nothing but trouble from religion. Religion has always been there to explain the unexplainable, and to provide an absolute moral code to live by. The problem is that the odds are that if one religion is right, the others are wrong. If that's the case, then one absolute moral code is correct - the others are biased, and chosen by mankind. According to wikipedia, the two largest religions - Christianity and Islam - have 1.8 billion members, and between 1.5 and 2.1 billion members, respectively. What this means is that, with my train of thought there, a minimum of 1.5 billion people - just considering two main religions - are living by a non-absolute moral code. I personally think when you see these kinds of numbers, it really doesn't make sense to live one's life by these moral codes. The odds are against your absolute truth being an absolute truth - independent of what religion you are in. Did that make sense? :lol:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    This kind of thinking is what drew me to differentiate between religion, and belief - two radically different ideas. Everyone is entitled to a belief naturally, and I think it benefits every single person with a belief TO believe. On the other hand, sadly, I see nothing but trouble from religion. Religion has always been there to explain the unexplainable, and to provide an absolute moral code to live by.

Thank you! :D Thats what I wanted to say when I said I didn't like the term "religion".

I agree with you about the energy thing, too. I mean, energy has always been. It can be neither created nor destroyed. I think our souls, our essence, must be energy. Its what is left when this body is gone. I've heard it said that humans are spirit and flesh. The flesh dies, but the spirit lives on. Here is a thought: when our separation with God occurs, the spirit is cut off and we are only living in the flesh. We either remain this way (don't bother seeking God), or reconnect the spirit (seek and find Him). Then when we die, our flesh dies, but our spirit is set free to be in God's presence ( a transference of energy).

I love the way "I'm Open" shows the loss of innocence-the disconnect:
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him. By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact. No tradebacks. So this is what it's like to be an adult.

Actually, I thought there were a lot of faith/God references in No Code and Yield. "avacado", too. Well, all of them have some references. Given to Fly makes me think of Jesus. I'm sure its not about that, but it is to me.
    You know, it would be smart of the band members not to publicly claim any one faith anyways because unfortunately, people are crazy! :lol:

And an interesting side note about Christianity/Judaism and Islam. Did you know that they share the same common ancestors, but the division comes from brothers? Abraham had two sons: Isaac and Ishmael. Isaac ended up being the father of judaism/christianity and Muhammad (and Islam) is descended from Ishmael. Kinda funny that they are the most populated faiths! I ramble.... ;)
  • Options
    Hey walkthehemisphere,

You're actually not a bad bloke for being so religious. Being as anti-religion as I am, that's quite a surprising thing for me to say hehe

Might I respectfully suggest that the inspiration doesn't necessarily come from religion, or a God - but from whatever someone believes in.

If we have nothing to believe in, then there is nothing to inspire us. Everyone needs something or someone to believe in. It is how they themselves interpret it that determines whether these inspirations are religious, mythical, or of this world.

It just so happens that the word religion was smacked on the early belief systems and that over time has manifested to be seen as something that is above and beyond this world.

If Jesus was in fact a common person who walked this Earth 2000+ years ago - who is to say that Eddie cannot be to the people of today, that Jesus was to the people of that time?

Not throwing Eddie up there specifically - but the same could be for say, someone in these forums. Maybe they found their "God" from the inspirational words written in the forums.

In the end, what it boils down to is that we all need something to believe in, something to move towards, something to inspire....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,159
    :D:D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    In searching the forums for topics maybe this is taboo. I'm new to the 10c and not the best at figuring out the meanings of songs. I think one of the great things about PJ is that we can put ourselves, our situations in the songs and make them something very personal.
    I searched the web to find out Ed's faith, and disturbingly he is being claimed by atheists. Based on a quote cica1998. I find this extremely hard to believe. It is widely believed, even in the scientific community it's gaining ground that there is an intelligent creator of earth and life as we know it. Only about 8% of the U.S. claims atheism. And most intelligent thinking people believe in some sort of higher power. I'm not trying to pick a fight w/ the 8%ers, I have found that to be pretty fruitless and ugly.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any input as to where Ed and the band stand today. I read in the fanviews of Nashville that Ed mentioned God, and is playing in a former church tonight. Any other Christian Jammers out there, lets pray for his heart to be opened, if it isn't already.

Couple things...

First, the scientific community (great majority) does not support an intelligent creator. That is a thought that for whatever reason has been accepted by you but it is false.

Second, I'm not sure where you got 8% but it is much higher than that. In the USA it is more like 15% that either claim to be atheist or agnostic. In Europe this % is much higher...

Third...I believe that Eddie is an atheist. I can see where you might be fooled by some of the lyrics in Yield but take this example from "Faithful"

M.y.t.h. is
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out
    Drowned you are, you are, you are a furry thing
    And everything is you
    Me you, you me, its all related
    Whats a boy to do?
    Just be darling and I will be too
    Faithful to you

Atheists believe that religion is a myth....that seems to be where Eddie is pointing you
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I am not interested in getting involved in an argument about religion. I believe in God, you don't. My prerogative and yours.

I just want to add one thing, use it - don't use it:

On the 22 June 2006 Live at the Gorge disc there is a version of Black in which he sings:
    I take a walk outside
    I'm surrounded by.....God
    I can feel His laughter
    so why do I sear?

Co-incidence?
    That strange spot in the sky was me from South Africa fly
  • Options
    walkthehemisphere

God bless you man. I am also a Christian jammer. Whatever Eddie is, he has said himself that he wants the lyrics to mean to you what they mean to you - he doesn't want to prescribe a meaning/s.

I can see Christ in Given to fly too so if the shoe fits, wear it and revel in the feeling it gives your particular foot.

Please bring Pearl Jam to South Africa
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I am not interested in getting involved in an argument about religion. I believe in God, you don't. My prerogative and yours.

On the 22 June 2006 Live at the Gorge disc there is a version of Black in which he sings:
    I take a walk outside
    I can feel His laughter
    so why do I sear?

Co-incidence?

I should add that I'm not trying to start an argument either...what is apparent to me might not be apparent to others and of course I can't state for a fact what Eddie actually believes...but his quotes from other sources and his lyrics seem to indicate atheism to me.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    First, the scientific community (great majority) does not support an intelligent creator. That is a thought that for whatever reason has been accepted by you but it is false.

Second, I'm not sure where you got 8% but it is much higher than that. In the USA it is more like 15% that either claim to be atheist or agnostic. In Europe this % is much higher...

Just want to clarify that:

It is widely believed, even in the scientific community it's gaining ground that there is an intelligent creator of earth and life as we know it.

"Gaining ground" doesn't mean the majority. It means that people in the scientific community are beginning to break out of the macro-evolution box that they've been forced into by others (think wealthy) who benefit financially from the belief (in macro-evolution). If you're here by accident, your life really has no purpose other than to make money to buy things. (all those in the NY stock exchange cheer wildly). So those at the head of the machine force feed this belief to the public, keeping them peacefully in ignorance and "empowered" by an , 'i can do whatever i want' attitude. Thank God some people aren't afraid to stand up to this.

2)Only about 8% of the U.S. claims atheism.

You included agnostics in your argument, but the 8% is in reference to atheists only. Agnostics do believe in something...they just don't know what to call it! :-) And the 8% is generous. Some polls say less than 5%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism
    I take a walk outside
    I can feel His laughter

Thats awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I think God shines through in many many songs.
  • Options
    robcascie wrote:
    MEGATRON wrote:
    PERFECTION.jpg

:D Eddie Vedder is perfect in his imperfection

Anyway, I don't believe in God or Jesus or Budda or whatever, and I couldn't care less about the religious inclination of Eddie and the band
    im a cristian but he is got a point.. :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

I take a walk outside
    I can feel His laughter
    so why do I sear?

Co-incidence?

I should add that I'm not trying to start an argument either...what is apparent to me might not be apparent to others and of course I can't state for a fact what Eddie actually believes...but his quotes from other sources and his lyrics seem to indicate atheism to me.

Peace man, like I said - my prerogative and yours.

Whatever you do, just bring Pearl Jam to South Africa.
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Why doesn't someone just say it, the man friggin looks like Jesus, especially up close in person.

(Of course, if we knew what Jesus really looked like, Ed might be dark skinned)

I met him in a drug store once and the whole place was filled with light. It could have just been me. I'm not trying to say Ed is Jesus, but if Jesus did come back, would anyone recognize him?

Plus, religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there.

I imagine Ed believes in miracles, he's got two little ones at home. I would also guess he is more spiritual in thought and does not stick to one particular practice. As the original poster said, "I hope he opens his heart" or something like that....

I'm pretty sure the man's heart is a an open door already.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Why does everything have to be religious? Let me ask it again, why does everything have to be religious? Religion is an absolute. People who say they are one religion or another have just reached the point of never questioning anything or themselves again. They have already hit the end of the journey and have said that I am "this" or I am "that," and they want everyone else in the world to make a decision right now or else. They have to know. For what reason do they have to know. If it is out of curiosity than ok, but it never is. It is about "Are you with me or are you not?" The funny thing that with almost every religion (especially Christianity) the basis for that religion is accepting everyone and love. Religion should be personal and the whole community aspect of it causes people to feel a need to categorize themselves. Well, I personally think that deep down inside, Eddie and the rest of PJ are still on the journey. They have accepted some things as true in their minds, but have not made any absolute answers and have not categorized themselves. They respect the process of continuously added to their ideas of religion, spirituality, etc. What I think they do know for sure is that typical religious people are so set in their ways that they never evolve and are now so far behind reality . Yet, they accept you and don't categorize you. However, they are categorized for that as atheists or ant-religious. Well, if continuing to better yourself and to follow love and to never reach an absolute ending truth is anti-religious then "LETS' CATEGORIZE THEM AS ANTI-RELIGIOUS" and I be the first one to join them. Anti-religion is the new religion and we don't need anyone praying for us. Why don't you do something that is harder then praying for us and just accept us and try to challenge yourself to evolve.

Religious people are so afraid about how the world will end and if they are ready, when in fact they are the ones who may cause the world to end.

And here comes the so-called annoying +1....
    along with something else to consider. Eastern religions and philosophies were practicing love and the pursuit of "truth" a couple of thousand years before the Christians ever showed up, yet I had a Christian tell me that I was "going to hell", because I hadn't been "born again" into the Christian faith.

I'm not saying Christians are wrong to believe as they do, obviously Christianity is what speaks to them. I do tire of them being the only religion that tries to apply THEIR beliefs to EVERYTHING, as if they are the all knowing, all seeing ultimate truth. Jesus was not God, he was a man.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    walkthehemisphere

God bless you man. I am also a Christian jammer. Whatever Eddie is, he has said himself that he wants the lyrics to mean to you what they mean to you - he doesn't want to prescribe a meaning/s.

I can see Christ in Given to fly too so if the shoe fits, wear it and revel in the feeling it gives your particular foot.

Please bring Pearl Jam to South Africa
    great avatar.. :)
  • Options
    Why doesn't someone just say it, the man friggin looks like Jesus, especially up close in person.

(Of course, if we knew what Jesus really looked like, Ed might be dark skinned)

I met him in a drug store once and the whole place was filled with light. It could have just been me. I'm not trying to say Ed is Jesus, but if Jesus did come back, would anyone recognize him?

Plus, religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there.

I imagine Ed believes in miracles, he's got two little ones at home. I would also guess he is more spiritual in thought and does not stick to one particular practice. As the original poster said, "I hope he opens his heart" or something like that....

I'm pretty sure the man's heart is a an open door already.
    no coment more exept 100000000000% right.. :)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    satansbed wrote:
    its not disturbing at all........ just because the majority believe something doesnt make it right. then it would be okay for the germans to be anti semites in the forties.

Totally.

Why is it disturbing that he isn't Christian? If you want Ed to have an open mind and consider Christianity, perhaps you should do the same and appreciate Athieism. Some people aren't as sure about religion as others are.

After all, it's all faith. Not everybody can believe a story from a book, and then shape their lives around it...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    And most intelligent thinking people believe in some sort of higher power.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you're saying that only people of a faith are intelligent...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2