Options

hey... you anti-huge corporation people who are freaking out

Comments

• Options
    norm wrote:
    ugh! i really believe some of you like the band more for their image than their music...and that's sad

"image" would imply fakeness...it's more we were like-minded in their ideology..and when they suddenly change it after 15+ years it is hypocritical...

for me.. i love the music...but it was the like-mindedness that made me an uber fan...that extra something that seperated them from all the other useless rock douche-bags out there!!! :twisted:
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    norm wrote:
    ugh! i really believe some of you like the band more for their image than their music...and that's sad

"hey norm.. i couldnt agree more"

Noam Chomsky - 1998 ©

Ed likes Noam.. i now borrow all his books from the library
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    All I know is if Green Day or Coldplay or whoever teamed up with Target.....you'd all be calling them corporate sell-outs.

Nah. I genuinely wouldn't have a problem with it. Especially if neither of those bands had record companies.

I think Green Day might be sell-outs for other reasons.

How can you say Green Day might be sell-outs and defend PJ at the same time?

The whole "guyliner makeover" thing just doesn't sit right with me. That's the main thing.

That, and I thought the timing of their "let's bash Bush" album was a little curious ... it came out when Bush bashing was fashionable, not when Pearl Jam and the Dixie Chicks were getting death threats. But that might just be a coincidence.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    norm wrote:

"image" would imply fakeness...it's more we were like-minded in their ideology..and when they suddenly change it after 15+ years it is hypocritical...

You sound young. Get back to me in 15 years and let me know if everything that is important to you now is as important to you then. I promise I won't call you a hypocrite.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    dunkman wrote:
    norm wrote:

"hey norm.. i couldnt agree more"

Noam Chomsky - 1998 ©

Ed likes Noam.. i now borrow all his books from the library

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ..and when they suddenly change it after 15+ years it is hypocritical...

Has the world stood still for the past 15 years? Are you the same person you were 15 years ago (rhetorical question as you were probably still sucking your thumb trying to get the round peg in the square hole...). The world around us has changed, people change, people adapt.

Come gather 'round people
    Wherever you roam
    And admit that the waters
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    You'll be drenched to the bone.
    If your time to you
    Is worth savin'
    Then you better start swimmin'
    Or you'll sink like a stone
    For the times they are a-changin'.
  • Options
    All I know is if Green Day or Coldplay or whoever teamed up with Target.....you'd all be calling them corporate sell-outs.

Nah. I genuinely wouldn't have a problem with it. Especially if neither of those bands had record companies.

I think Green Day might be sell-outs for other reasons.
    That Verizon text message screen at MSG last year was one of the biggest sell-out moves I've ever seen.

So your definition of "sell out" is ... what? ... making money?

To me, when we're talking about music, selling out means sacrificing your artistic integrity -- ie, your music -- in order to make money. On the purest level, it means writing songs you don't believe in and you don't even like, in order to fit in with whatever the flavor of the month is.

You can sell out without ever taking a dime from Verizon or Target or whoever.

And, you can also taking money from Verizon and Target and the fucking Republican National Committee, and so long as your music stays pure, and you are writing songs you believe in, you are not a sell out.

When Target starts telling Pearl Jam what can and can't be on their record, then I'll start to think about the sell-out word.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    redrock wrote:

Has the world stood still for the past 15 years? Are you the same person you were 15 years ago (rhetorical question as you were probably still sucking your thumb trying to get the round peg in the square hole...). The world around us has changed, people change, people adapt.

Wherever you roam
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    If your time to you
    Is worth savin'

The times are a-changin' alright. Ticket prices were $35 in 2000 and they were $85 in 2008. and please don't say that it's just because of inflation.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Wherever you roam
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    If your time to you
    Is worth savin'

The times are a-changin' alright. Ticket prices were $35 in 2000 and they were $85 in 2008. and please don't say that it's just because of inflation.

Nah. It's because Pearl Jam is a band for old people now. That's what happens when you get to that point. Your ticket prices go up.

See The Who. And The Stones. Etc Etc.

Also, all bands are more dependent upon touring to make their money these days than they were in 2000. Demise of the record industry and what not.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Of course not just inflation, everything has massively gone up... goods, gas, electricity, salaries, etc.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options

To me, when we're talking about music, selling out means sacrificing your artistic integrity -- ie, your music -- in order to make money. On the purest level, it means writing songs you don't believe in and you don't even like, in order to fit in with whatever the flavor of the month is.

And, you can also taking money from Verizon and Target and the fucking Republican National Committee, and so long as your music stays pure, and you are writing songs you believe in, you are not a sell out.

When Target starts telling Pearl Jam what can and can't be on their record, then I'll start to think about the sell-out word.

You're contradicting yourself here because you said in an earlier post that Green Day wearing eyeliner made them sell-outs. But wearing eyeliner didn't make them sacrifice their artistic integrity musically. and I doubt they made any money by wearing eyeliner...unlike PJ who cashed in on the Verizon text message screen.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Nah. It's because Pearl Jam is a band for old people now. That's what happens when you get to that point. Your ticket prices go up.

See The Who. And The Stones. Etc Etc.

Also, all bands are more dependent upon touring to make their money these days than they were in 2000. Demise of the record industry and what not.

But The Who and The Rolling Stones never made it a point to be for the "little guy" as Pearl Jam has in the past. And I think that the reason that ticket prices started going way up in the 2000's is because that's when their album sales started going way down.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Really??? Who put out that album?? Pearl Jam themselves? No, it was *gasp* a record label called Sony
    Did Sony sell those albums??? NO.

Um ... yes they did. They sold them to Target. And Best Buy. And (horror of horrors!) Wal-Mart.
    Duh. See, this is the reason I don't like trying to reason with you, because you know what I'm talking about, yet like to twist it so it sounds like you don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    norm wrote:

for me.. i love the music...but it was the like-mindedness that made me an uber fan...that extra something that seperated them from all the other useless rock douche-bags out there!!! :twisted:
    I really think that a lot of fans don't know what the band's social issues were all about. That's a big reason why I like them and respect them. But like Crazy Breed says, they suddenly decide to hop the fence and are suddenly not who they used to be. That's not simply image.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    Sellout defined: the act of shooting a commercial for Target.

Just because Pearl Jam is selling out, it doesn't mean the music is going to suck or anything. They would never change their style to make money... at least I hope.
  • Options
    You sound young. Get back to me in 15 years and let me know if everything that is important to you now is as important to you then. I promise I won't call you a hypocrite.

no, i am not "young" and integrity will never cease to be important to me!!!

see..that's what happens when you assume..you make an ass out of you and you alone.
  • Options
    norm wrote:

You're the one who sounds very young here. You shop at Walmart first of all and don't have much social awareness at all. You also sound like you have no idea how to think for yourself: you let the TV tell you how to think, don't you?
  • Options
    new_sheeple_dees.jpg
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Um ... yes they did. They sold them to Target. And Best Buy. And (horror of horrors!) Wal-Mart.
    Duh. See, this is the reason I don't like trying to reason with you, because you know what I'm talking about, yet like to twist it so it sounds like you don't.

Sony did sell/distribute those records to those stores.. PJ had a contract with Sony who sold those records (obviously knowing how and were they would be distributed). PJ pocketed money from these deals. Here PJ cut the middle man (Sony). The deals are similar. If you're saying when PJ entered a contract with Sony (global corporation), they did not themselves (PJ or PJ corp.) talk to Target and arrange the deals - you may be right - that's what Sony was for. OK, here PJ corp. are dealing directly with Target and that's what bugs you? Is that the difference you are making? Thinking that maybe while a distribution company was making the deals, PJ were not directly involved and therefore stayed 'clean'?
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102

no, i am not "young" and integrity will never cease to be important to me!!!

see..that's what happens when you assume..you make an ass out of you and you alone.

What lacks integrity in the Target deal? PJ still has integrity. That is silly. If you imply that you must be a poor schmuck that never engages in a capitalistic transaction to maintain "integrity," then fuck integrity.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    Just as a bit of information, not sure if anyone will think it's important, but I do. :)

These are some of the people Pearl Jam are involved with.

And I personally think it's an excellent idea to work with people from the inside to seek change in our society. We can only try...and that's what activism is all about.

xo

http://www.pearljam.com/activism/non-pr ... anizations

Activism

* Pacific Salmon Stronghold Conservation Act
    * A note from our friend Andy Bernstein, founder of HeadCount
    * National Day of Service
    * Announcing the Launch of evergreenfilm.org!
    * BODY OF WAR released on DVD
    * Holiday Giving –Vitalogy Foundation and Pearl Jam Personal Contributions
    * Pearl Jam: Vote for Change? 2004 Tour Film
    * E-cycling
    * Alternative News
    * Carbon Portfolio
    * Non-Profits
    * Politics, What Now?
    * Talk Back!

Non-Profits, Benefits and Organizations

This section of the site lists organizations that we support, financially or otherwise.
    ANIMAL PROTECTION ORGANIZATIONS

* ASPCA
    * Humane Society
    * In Defense of Animals
    * International Fund for Animal Welfare
    * Oceana
    * PETA
    * Protect Seals
    * Animal Legal Defense Fund
    * Animal Protection Institute

ARTS AND EDUCATION ORGANIZATIONS

* 826 Seattle
    * Arts Corps
    * MOLO Care
    * The Northwest School
    * Northwest Literacy Foundation/Fill the Shelves in Public Schools Book Campaign
    * Book Campaign
    * Rock and Roll Camp for Girls
    * VERA Project

HEALTH-RELATED ORGANIZATIONS

* Advocacy for Patients
    * Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
    * Lifelong AIDS Alliance

ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS

* Conservation International
    * Environmental Careers Organization
    * Honor the Earth
    * Washington Wilderness Coalition
    * American Solar Energy Society
    * Bonneville Environmental Foundation
    * Conservation International
    * WA Clean Energy Initiative (with Jay Islee)
    * Green Empowerment
    * Honor the Earth (Native Community, Energy Projects, & Alternatives)
    * Cascade Land Conservancy
    * Islandwood
    * Clif Green Notes
    * Reverb

NATIVE AMERICAN HOUSING ORGANIZATIONS

* Native American Rights Fund
    * The Red Feather Development Group

WOMEN'S ISSUES ORGANIZATIONS

* Choice USA
    * www.feministmajority.org
    * www.plannedparenthood.org
    * www.now.org
    * www.naral.org
    * Home Alive

ARTIST RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS

* Future of Music Coalition
    * Air Traffic Control

HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS

* Amnesty International
    * CARE
    * Concerned United Birthparents (CUB)
    * Doctors Without Borders
    * Save the Children
    * Oxfam
    * Project Hello
    * West Memphis Three

2006 TOUR BENEFICIARIES

* 9 May Toronto
    The White Ribbon Campaign
    * 10 May Toronto
    Sketch
    * 12 May Albany
    Grand Street Community Arts
    * 14 May Hartford
    Advocacy for Patients with Chronic Illness
    * 24 May Boston
    Horizons for Homeless Children
    * 25 May Boston
    ZUMIX
    * 27 May Philadelphia
    The Innocence Project
    * 28 May Philadelphia
    The Spiral Q Puppet Theater
    * 30 May Washington, DC
    Future of Music Coalition
    * 1 June East Rutherford
    The Community FoodBank of New Jersey
    * 3 June East Rutherford
    The Damien Echols Support Fund (WM3)
    * 23 June Pittsburgh
    * 24 June Cincinnati
    Elementz: The Hip Hop Youth Arts Center
    * 6 July Las Vegas
    Cure Autism Now
    * 7 July San Diego
    The San Dieguito High School Academy Foundation
    * 9&10 July Los Angeles
    The Surfrider Foundation
    * 13 July Santa Barbara
    The Grassroots Organization
    * 15 July San Francisco
    Air Traffic Control
    * 16 July San Francisco
    The Edible Schoolyard
    * 18 July San Francisco
    The Youth Media Council
    * 22-23 July George
    Arts Corps
    * 22-23 July George
    826 Seattle
    * 22-23 July George
    The Vera Project
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    new_sheeple_dees.jpg

You have quite the amount of arrogance. I love how you lecture us on how we all are sheep. You tru;ly believe that you are smarter than everybody else. I will bah when I watch Billy Oh tonight.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    Ah Kat.... pops in to give us a reality check every once in a while! :D
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    samnation wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    This band doesn't even need to produce another album to make money, all they have to do is tour ala the Grateful Dead way of making money. This is all about the money.

That implies to me that the only reason they record new music is to make money, which I disagree with. Pearl Jam are talented guys that create quality music. Each of them individually have had creative projects in between Pearl Jam releases. Clearly they want to keep creating new music.

Yes, but they should travel from town to town via U-Haul to sell that new music, but not for cash, which is an instrument of the evil U.S. government. You should be able to barter for it, possibly using your hemp underwear.

:mrgreen:

i cannot believe that i actually appear 'in line' with the evidently evil, out-to-ruin-the-world corps in this discussion......everyone who knows me would laugh! :lol: however, in this discussion.....all of this simply makes sense. HOW ELSE are pearl jam to independently put out their own music?! can someone explain this to me? and ya know, it's not just about making $$$ for themselves, as individuals...they have a whole team of employees, who yea....not so rich as pj...and yea, i am sure they want to get paid for their efforts too. beyond which, they want to REACH their fans....ALL of them.....even the ones who aren';t fans yet. best way to do that is a distribution deal, and yea, a biggie. again, target seems the best fit out of who is out there. i think the fact that pj chose target BECAUSE target accepts pj wants indie stores to have their work too...speaks volumes about pj, in a good way. apparently i am in the minority there.

and hello....target is not walmart.....there IS a difference.
    tho perhaps this all falls in line who think obama....mccain...same difference right? they're 'all the same' too...... :roll:

funny too....we are having this discussion on the internet....probably on microsoft, apple, or any of those big computer corp computers.....hahahahahaha. irony........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Sellout defined: the act of shooting a commercial for Target.

Just because Pearl Jam is selling out, it doesn't mean the music is going to suck or anything. They would never change their style to make money... at least I hope.

From what I understand, and I might be wrong, the commericial isn't FOR Target ("Come to Target for your toilet paper and other knick knacks!") ... The commercial is for "Backspacer," which happens to be available at Target.
  • Options
    funny too....we are having this discussion on the internet....probably on microsoft, apple, or any of those big computer corp computers.....hahahahahaha. irony........

Yeah but........ necessary evil those!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    I will bah when I watch Billy Oh tonight.

I bet you will PJBrowneye..i bet you will.
  • Options
    I'm reposting this because I want your response.

You're contradicting yourself here because you said in an earlier post that Green Day wearing eyeliner made them sell-outs. But wearing eyeliner didn't make them sacrifice their artistic integrity musically. and I doubt they made any money by wearing eyeliner...unlike PJ who cashed in on the Verizon text message screen.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Kat wrote:
    And I personally think it's an excellent idea to work with people from the inside to seek change in our society. We can only try...and that's what activism is all about.

exactly.
    work the system to change the system.
    :)

redrock, getting my yogurt for 62 cents as opposed to 99 cents....also a necessary evil i say. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,792
    JJ13769 wrote:
    TO ANSWER SOMEBODY'S QUESTION.....I DONT AND NEVER HAVE SHOPPED AT THOSE STORES. AND I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO DONT.

if you've never stood foot in a corporate store, but you're against it, then isn't that just being closed minded?

know your enemy!
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg