Options

hey... you anti-huge corporation people who are freaking out

Comments

• Options
    potnikpotnik Posts: 447
    Target is cool, it is where I found my favorite Pearl Jam shirt, back in '98 or something. Maybe a little later, just a black tee shirt with a shark on it that says Pearl Jam. Never saw it in any other store, maybe they struck a deal with them all the way back then.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    vduboise wrote:
    seriously, do people not shop at these big corporations? Even Whole Foods- which is a big organic supermarket- that greenies and purists love for their healthier way of life- is a CORPORATION. This is the way life is now. Corporations exists, and people should get over themselves.

Pearl Jam can do what ever they want. They don't have to have the approval of every person in the world. I like their music, I go to their concerts, and I'm happy.

The more of you that leave, the closer I can get :D

Didn't you know? Most of these people grow their own vegetables in their backyards, weave their own clothes out of cotton (although they apologize to the plants for raping their bounty first) and wipe with pine cones.

Close. Everyone's a "critic" these days.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    JJ13769 wrote:
    TO ANSWER SOMEBODY'S QUESTION.....I DONT AND NEVER HAVE SHOPPED AT THOSE STORES. AND I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO DONT.
    Where do you shop??
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,372
    I LOVE TARGET.

THEN AGAIN, I ALSO LOVE KAT AND SEA.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I Christmas shop at Target. I like the Super Target, but there isn't one near me.

Shaun White and Tony Hawk have exclusive deals with Target, it hasn't hurt their image too much.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    when these non-Target people go out jogging do they float on tiny clouds and not wear Nike or Adidas... is there an ethically moral mp3 player they can listen to?

What a shame they havent heard the new PJ song.. well i assume thats the case seeing as how it was broadcast on the massive NBC corporation's network.... and if they did watch it i hope the evil mass manufactured television scorched their eyes off and gave them leprosy of the ears.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    when these non-Target people go out jogging do they float on tiny clouds and not wear Nike or Adidas... is there an ethically moral mp3 player they can listen to?

What a shame they havent heard the new PJ song.. well i assume thats the case seeing as how it was broadcast on the massive NBC corporation's network.... and if they did watch it i hope the evil mass manufactured television scorched their eyes off and gave them leprosy of the ears.

nice way to beat the fuck out of a dead horse..give it a rest..it's over!! move on....or are you just trying to piss me/us off and start some shit?
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    dunkman wrote:

nice way to beat the fuck out of a dead horse..give it a rest..it's over!! move on....or are you just trying to piss me/us off and start some shit?

How many times a day do you change your avatar?

I think we should keep on beating that horse, just for Crazy Breed. In addition, lets start discussing Bush, Obama, and organized religion. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:

DeadHorse™ - for all your glue requirements
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

How many times a day do you change your avatar?

I think we should keep on beating that horse, just for Crazy Breed. In addition, lets start discussing Bush, Obama, and organized religion. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

i change my avatar to suit my mood.

and if we are going to talk about Bush, Obama and religion...you better get something to bite down on! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

DeadHorse™ - for all your glue requirements

like the glue that holds my Air-Jordan's together?? :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: yup that's right i wear Jordan's and the newest ones are mostly sewn together...it's cutting edge tech. they are trying to get away from using that cancer causing glue. 8-)
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited September 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    like the glue that holds my Air-Jordan's together?? :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: yup that's right i wear Jordan's and the newest ones are mostly sewn together...it's cutting edge tech. they are trying to get away from using that cancer causing glue. 8-)

I bet they're sewn together by 9-year-old girls in Malaysia ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

you better get something to bite down on! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Cool, I have just learned something else about you. You listen to Coldplay.
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    The best thing about Target used to be the shopping cart escalators. Now, it's Pearl Jam!
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    I think that this Target deal is a pathetic attempt to sell more records. Radiohead they are not.

But hey, it's smart business to do this. Avocado, Riot Act, Binaural, Yield, and No Code COMBINED have sold less than VS. I want to believe that this Target deal is an attempt to get the music to the masses.....but I think it's a ploy to make more money.

Or maybe it's just because they "love and adore" Target as Kelly Curtis has put it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:

you better get something to bite down on! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Cool, I have just learned something else about you. You listen to Coldplay.

no!, i most certainly do not listen to Coldplay!!!
  • Options

no!, i most certainly do not listen to Coldplay!!!

Well when you start discussing stickin it in another man's behind, I can only assume.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    dunkman wrote:
    about PJ using Target and recording adverts and releasing mini-flash games, Rock Band, etc, etc.....

do you read this forum from a hemp computer that you hand built... and are you using a "parrot on a unicycle"™ powered internet connection?

just wondering ;)

i get my milk from a cow in the backyard

it doesn't taste that good but it's the right thing to do
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Well when you start discussing stickin it in another man's behind, I can only assume.

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!!!! :? :? :? :o:o
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    NewJPage wrote:

Alright, I'm going to say it now. I am so fucking sick of this kind of bullshit!

Ummm.....hello? Its a fucking high school job. You aren't SUPPOSE to be making good money at Target or Wal-Mart at the grunt level.

I've worked at Target, and while yeah I had complaints about my wage at what not, I realized I was just a low level stock boy. I swear all these sites that bitch and moan about how Target or Wal-Mart pay their employees shit only talk to the grunt level worker.

I know for a fact that at the store I worked at the supervisors AKA Team Leads made a minimum of $12 an hour. And the store manager of my store was making damn near $100,000 a year.

But that doesn't sell newspapers.....errrrr bring people into the website. So lets go talk to the guy who works there part-time as an after school job, or talk to the kid who dropped out of college and see how much he is making. And then we can make broad generalizations about the entire company.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I think that this Target deal is a pathetic attempt to sell more records. Radiohead they are not.

But hey, it's smart business to do this. Avocado, Riot Act, Binaural, Yield, and No Code COMBINED have sold less than VS. I want to believe that this Target deal is an attempt to get the music to the masses.....but I think it's a ploy to make more money.

Or maybe it's just because they "love and adore" Target as Kelly Curtis has put it.

How is it pathetic?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Drew263 wrote:
    Funny thing is...Pearl Jam is a corporation.

:lol:
    Sure is....

and...

They sell $200 poster books to their fans....
    $150 re-mastered albums....
    $50 posters...
    baby clothes.......
    more t-shirts than the band KISS.....

etc.
    etc.
    etc....

And Pearl Jam fans have NO PROBLEM handing over thousands and thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$ to their FAN CLUB............

and yet....

Those same fans get bent out of shape because Pearl Jam strikes a deal with Target????

And it has to be said...by buying from 10C, we usually pay more for the goods than we do when we buy elsewhere 1(which I choose wholeheardly to do and of my own free will, as I want as much of the money I spend on PJ to go directly to PJ :)) Over the last number of years I have paid more for tix from 10C than through Ticketbastard, paid more for cd's/dvd's from 10C than my local retailer etc. So dont make out that PJ are the saviours of the free world, they deserve to get as much money from their product as they can get and I do remember reading an interview with Jeff not too long ago where he pointed out that with the royalties from 10 and vs, the band felt very uncomfortable with the amounts of money they made so they jointly decided to give shitloads of it away, and he went on to say that now they feel that they deserve to keep the money they earn (or words to that effect).

And I will go back to what I said in my first post in this thread....SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get off your fucking moral highhorses and either support the band you 'love' or dont. This Target deal gives the band the freedom to sell in local shops etc so what it the big fucking problem :evil:
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

How is it pathetic?

even better question....why can't this deal be about an attempt to get the music to the masses.....AND a ploy to make more money....wtf is wrong with that? honestly, who in the hell in their career DOESN'T try to make more $$$? rich or no......people always work harder to provide for their future, their families...their livlihood. cmon now......are pj held to a higher standard than the rest of us? should their musical pursuits be 100% altruistic, only to share with the masses, and not ALSO b/c they want to make a good living, be rewarded for their creativity, and sure.....ALSO provide for ALL the people who WORK for them, their livlihoods, retention, etc. i simply do not understand. pj is doing the best they can to BALANCE their own needs, the needs/desires of their fans...and sure....the greater community at large. they can only work within the confines of our times, make the best decisions they can on what is 'out there' right now, etc.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756

How is it pathetic?

Because it comes off (to me) as a "desperate times call for desperate measures" technique.

I dunno, Kelly Curtis saying "they love and adore Target" struck me the wrong way. Like he's towing the company line as they say.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:

Why else would I bite down on something?
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    PJBuckeye wrote:

Why else would I bite down on something?

when people get mad they grind their teeth...wow....ass fuck never in a million years came to mind...you don't live down south in the woods do you? ;):mrgreen::mrgreen::lol::lol:
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277

How is it pathetic?

Because it comes off (to me) as a "desperate times call for desperate measures" technique.

I dunno, Kelly Curtis saying "they love and adore Target" struck me the wrong way. Like he's towing the company line as they say.

I believe Curtis was speaking about their relationship with Target in the context of Target not having an issue with Pearl Jam releasing their music through the Coalition of Independent Music Stores (CIMS) and the Ten Club. And keep in mind that Pearl Jam still retains full ownership of their master recordings, image, etc. This is just a distribution deal to get their CD in to one of the 3 nationwide retail stores that actually still sell music in 2009. Good for Pearl Jam that they are able to cut out the record label middleman who DOES want to own their masters and exploit their catalog.

target+lady.jpg
    Sam
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

How is it pathetic?

really?
    obviously it's all our own inference and all....but really, i personally think that it is simply b/c they are SELF-producing/promoting/distributing this album, a first for them....it's simply more DIRECT. before, anything else that went on to promote their album, one would say 'oh it's the record label' etc......but now, we know it's 10c/pj making all these decisions. thing of it is, how ELSE are they supposed to get their music OUT THERE? shall they ONLY distribute to indie shops - a guarantee of failure - only online - alienate some fans - etc - etc...? they are doing this on their OWN, they have to make these decisions to remain viable, for their fans, and yes...for THEMselves. that isn't 'desperate' that's business. muscians, like all creative people....always have to balance ART with COMMERCE.

and seriously, wtf is wrong with loving/adoring target? :P i said as much earlier...but as 'big retail corps' go.....target is a pretty 'ideal' partner for pj. obviously they are BIG...but they DO give back, a LOT, to the communities they profit from.....sounds quite a good fit for pj.

i simply see it as pj being realistic, and working within the times, balance, as best they can...

samnation wrote:
    I believe Curtis was speaking about their relationship with Target in the context of Target not having an issue with Pearl Jam releasing their music through the Coalition of Independent Music Stores (CIMS) and the Ten Club. And keep in mind that Pearl Jam still retains full ownership of their master recordings, image, etc. This is just a distribution deal to get their CD in to one of the 3 nationwide retail stores that actually still sell music in 2009. Good for Pearl Jam that they are able to cut out the record label middleman who DOES want to own their masters and exploit their catalog.

another excellent point. target seems like they were the most flexible, least demanding, of the partnership.....and it's still win-win for them both.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow