Options

hey... you anti-huge corporation people who are freaking out

Comments

• Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    what about SOS (share our strength), Meals on Wheels, The food Bank... these are all corporations. Not saying that all are good and holy. But lets be reasonable, you've never shopped at these big companies?

I'll be amazed that you've never. Its the way society is now. Yes, there are small companies, and I try to support them, but when I need something and the big chains have it, I'm going to go.

Its not about the blinders- its about reality.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I refuse to waste any more time talking about this with someone who gladly shops at Walmart.

How very enlightened of you. If you applied this to your everyday life, sooner or later you'd be mute.

Which, come to think of it ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I refuse to waste any more time talking about this with someone who gladly shops at Walmart.

How very enlightened of you. If you applied this to your everyday life, sooner or later you'd be mute.

My point is that we'll never agree. So, I'm not going to try and get you to see my POV, not worth the effort.
  • Options
    vduboise wrote:
    what about SOS (share our strength), Meals on Wheels, The food Bank... these are all corporations. Not saying that all are good and holy. But lets be reasonable, you've never shopped at these big companies?

I'll be amazed that you've never. Its the way society is now. Yes, there are small companies, and I try to support them, but when I need something and the big chains have it, I'm going to go.

They aren't corporations, they are Non-Profits. BIG difference.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    JJ13769 wrote:
    TO ANSWER SOMEBODY'S QUESTION.....I DONT AND NEVER HAVE SHOPPED AT THOSE STORES. AND I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO DONT.
    I refuse to shop there also, unless I have to. Support local business!!

“If those in charge of our society - politicians, corporate executives, and owners of press and television - can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves.”

Howard Zinn quote

come on... give me your own quote... dont follow... lead ;)

local business need evil multi coporations

i live in rural Scotland... its fucking dairy farms as far as the eye can see... the milk is collected, its then transoprted to a central company.. this company then sells the milk to Tesco, ASDA, etc (multi-billion pounds supermarket companies)... i then buy the milk from the big supermarket.

ergo... thats how i support local businesses... i keep cow farmers in a fucking viable business... they should be naming udders after my kids.
    Local business needs local customers, not corporations. The big guy does not do justice what they can do themselves. And I quoted Zinn, because Ed respects him so...or at least used to.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited June 2009
    redrock wrote:
    That's not answering the question I asked you. Please DO THINK and tell me.....

i've explained this many times in the past few days and all the threads get deleted..i'm not wasting my time any more!! you are free to think as you choose..and i am free to do the same..let's leave it at that.

I was just asking a question... I'm not debating whether it is right or wrong, whether PJ should have a deal with Target or not, just asking a valid question. I don't know what you think the difference between the two corporations are and why one is OK and one isn't. I haven't seen that explanation in any of the threads - deleted or not. Enlighten me.

EDIT: Maybe you can help Jeanwah ..... you and U R A Crazy Breed seem to be on similar levels (and I'm not saying this in any nasty/sarcastic way)
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

My point is that we'll never agree. So, I'm not going to try and get you to see my POV, not worth the effort.

Fair enough. Go ahead and be wrong all the time ;)
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    vduboise wrote:

They aren't corporations, they are Non-Profits. BIG difference.
    even tho they are non profits, they are a corporation. Because they do good, does that mean that they don't make money? They do- and ask for donations (which I choose to support), just as a choose to support others.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    That's not answering the question I asked you. Please DO THINK and tell me.....

i've explained this many times in the past few days and all the threads get deleted..i'm not wasting my time any more!! you are free to think as you choose..and i am free to do the same..let's leave it at that.

I was just asking a question... I'm not debating whether it is right or wrong, whether PJ should have a deal with Target or not, just asking a valid question. I don't know what you think the difference between the two corporations are and why one is OK and one isn't. I haven't seen that explanation in any of the threads - deleted or not. Enlighten me.

Honestly it's REALLY easy to google stuff like this... I will do it.

"Target Corporation is consistently ranked as one of the most philanthropic companies in the country. It ranked #11 in Fortune Magazine's "Top 20 Most Admired Companies" for 2007, largely in part to the donation efforts of the company as a whole."
  • Options
    According to a November 2005 Forbes article, it ranked as the highest cash-giving company in America in percentage of income given (2.1%).

Target donates around 5 percent of its pre-tax operating profit; it gives over $3 million a week (up from $2 million in years prior) to the communities in which it operates.

It also gives a percentage of charges from its Target Visa to schools designated by the cardholders.

To date, Target has given over $150 million to schools across the United States through this program.

Target's corporate by-laws state it must give 5 percent of its pre-tax profits to charity.
  • Options
    Target released a 13-page report in 2007 that outlined their current and future plans for becoming more earth-friendly according to LEED. Such efforts include installing sand filtration systems for the store's wastewater. Recycling programs will be aimed at garment hangers, corrugated cardboard, electronics, shopping carts, shrink wrap, construction wastes, carpeting and ceiling tiles and roofing materials. All stores in Oklahoma will be partnered with Oklahoma Gas & Electric to exclusively use wind power for all Target stores in order to reduce Carbon emissions. Stores nationwide use only LED and fluorescent lights and low-flow restrooms that reduce waste water by 30%. Some Target stores are installing roof gardens or green roofs, which absorb storm water and cut down on surface runoff, mitigate temperature fluctuations and provide habitats for birds. There are currently four green-roof Target stores in Chicago.
  • Options
    During disasters, Target has been a major benefactor for relief efforts. Target provided monetary and product donations during the September 11 attacks; it also donated money for relief efforts for the 2004 tsunami in South Asia and donated $1.5 million (U.S.) to the American Red Cross in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It also allowed its store properties in the affected area to be used as command centers for relief organizations. It also donated supplies such as water and bug spray. Besides these major disasters, Target also regularly lends support to disasters that are not as well known or only affect a regional area.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    [
    Local business needs local customers, not corporations. The big guy does not do justice what they can do themselves. And I quoted Zinn, because Ed respects him so...or at least used to.
    These big businesses would not exist if there were not a demand for them. People want what they want- regardless of where they get it from. Yes, it would be nice to get my produce from the farm- but if the farm is 20 miles away, as apposed to down the block, then it makes a difference.

Remember, these big companies were once a small local company that had high demand, and needed to expand. And expand- to be what they are now. Yes, they may not be great, but they provide a service that people want.

If you don't want these companies, then don't support them.
  • Options
    So, there are differences between Target and other big box store...

Yeah, it's a corporation, but it's the least evil of all of them... they do some pretty great things with their money.

I just get frustrated when people spew things from their mouths (fingertips?) without looking into it first...
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jeanwah wrote:

no, local retail business need local customers... local businesses can encompass a huge variety of differing business... why i used dairy farmers... there are also oat&wheat farms who sell to Kelloggs... huge company... but Kelloggs do not own millions of acres of land... they buy their product from local business.

i couldnt give a fuck who Ed respects.... make up your own mind... dont quote Zinn because Ed might like him... urgh.

ok fine... dont buy the new album at Target... track it down elsewhere.. do your bit... for every little indie store that might stay open thats good news... but if everyone stayed away from big stores then 1000s upon thousands of people would lose their jobs... how many people do WalMart employ? if everyone stopped going who would pay those poor joes wages??? no-one...

somebody strip the moral sheriffs of their badges...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited June 2009
    Honestly it's REALLY easy to google stuff like this... I will do it.

"Target Corporation is consistently ranked as one of the most philanthropic companies in the country. It ranked #11 in Fortune Magazine's "Top 20 Most Admired Companies" for 2007, largely in part to the donation efforts of the company as a whole."

I know about Target AND Sony, I'm just wondering why the poster thinks it's not OK for PJ to deal with Target but it seemed OK to deal with Sony - again from a large CORPORATION point of view. It seems his problem is with Target being a large corporation. Thus my question....
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    According to a November 2005 Forbes article, it ranked as the highest cash-giving company in America in percentage of income given (2.1%).

Target donates around 5 percent of its pre-tax operating profit; it gives over $3 million a week (up from $2 million in years prior) to the communities in which it operates.

It also gives a percentage of charges from its Target Visa to schools designated by the cardholders.

To date, Target has given over $150 million to schools across the United States through this program.

Target's corporate by-laws state it must give 5 percent of its pre-tax profits to charity.

:)
    i was wondering when this would get stated.
    i am not saying target is some angelic corp, but nor is it evil incarnate. it's a business, so obviously it makes business decisions....some good for others, some probably not. however, it does seem that their model for operation tries to be based on 'good'....and i do believe, by big-box retailer's standards, that they pay fairly well, benefits packages, etc. not too shabby.

i love tar-jay. ;)
    tis a great store. i love what they do for the communities. while i agree we all 'should' give back, many don't....and certainly don't 'have' to....and yet they do. sure, they get hefty tax breaks b/c of it, but don't we all when we give?

bottomline.....if pj is going to get in bed with a big box retailer - and why NOT?....they ARE working out deals to distribute their OWN music, directly......i think target is the 'ideal' corp for em.

let's be 'realistic' here......pj Is out to make $$$. in 1991 they were out to make $$$. of course they are! however, even TODAY....i think they still very much show how they suppor their fans, their communities...and you bet.....creating a new business model for thsemselves to have better CONTROL over their art, their 'product'......and wasn't pj ALWAYS about that? doing things on their terms, as they want? perhaps some of you don't 'approve'....fair enough.....i just honestly can't see WHY.

glad i missed a good deal of the bru-ha-ha on the porch this past week, from the little i've gleaned from here today, it was shock-and-awe drama.......:P

as an aside...and they ARE still supporting the indie stores too, sheesh! so YOU can choose to support your local indie store, but for the vast majority of people around w/o an indie store and therefore the big box chains ARE their only options, that or online usually......they can get it at target! or sure, support 10c with an album purchase. the thing of it is, pj is trying to get their music to be accessible to EVERYone....thus the different avenues. and sure, imagine that....they also actually want to get paid for their art, their work.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    This is from Curtis on an interview with Billboard
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/exc ... 8374.story

"I make decisions around the band's business that are consistent with their overall philosophy," said Curtis, "which is to sell music in a way that's accessible and affordable to their fans, on every distribution platform that their fans access music, and in a way that takes care of the little guys.

"Everyone's making assumptions because Target is a big corporation," said Curtis. "Its important to remember we just got out of this 18 year relationship with Sony, and I'm pretty sure they are a bigger corporation than Target. We have the freedom to pick our partners and more control when we've ever had before. We're excited to choose who we're in business with."
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

i am not saying target is some angelic corp, but nor is it evil incarnate. it's a business, so obviously it makes business decisions....some good for others, some probably not. however, it does seem that their model for operation tries to be based on 'good'....and i do believe, by big-box retailer's standards, that they pay fairly well, benefits packages, etc. not too shabby.

i love tar-jay. ;)
    tis a great store. i love what they do for the communities. while i agree we all 'should' give back, many don't....and certainly don't 'have' to....and yet they do. sure, they get hefty tax breaks b/c of it, but don't we all when we give?

bottomline.....if pj is going to get in bed with a big box retailer - and why NOT?....they ARE working out deals to distribute their OWN music, directly......i think target is the 'ideal' corp for em.

let's be 'realistic' here......pj Is out to make $$$. in 1991 they were out to make $$$. of course they are! however, even TODAY....i think they still very much show how they suppor their fans, their communities...and you bet.....creating a new business model for thsemselves to have better CONTROL over their art, their 'product'......and wasn't pj ALWAYS about that? doing things on their terms, as they want? perhaps some of you don't 'approve'....fair enough.....i just honestly can't see WHY.

glad i missed a good deal of the bru-ha-ha on the porch this past week, from the little i've gleaned from here today, it was shock-and-awe drama.......:P

as an aside...and they ARE still supporting the indie stores too, sheesh! so YOU can choose to support your local indie store, but for the vast majority of people around w/o an indie store and therefore the big box chains ARE their only options, that or online usually......they can get it at target! or sure, support 10c with an album purchase. the thing of it is, pj is trying to get their music to be accessible to EVERYone....thus the different avenues. and sure, imagine that....they also actually want to get paid for their art, their work.

are 'you' on a 'sponsored' putting 'words' in 'quotes' challenge or something. :mrgreen:;);)

p.s. ' ;) '
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options

i love tar-jay. ;)

Hey ... something we agree on. WTF? :)
  • Options
    Hey ... something we agree on. WTF? :)

stranger things have happened.
    hey, i'm a lefty moderate...too left-leaning for the conservatives, but not quite left enough for the lefties. :mrgreen:
    and sure, while i may be a dreamer...it's still also possible to realize, we DO live and exist in reality, and how can we do so the best we can, on our terms, in our current times and circumstances. sure seems to me that is all pearl jam is trying to do too, and i say kudos to them for trying something new. and no, i don't think they need to follow other, new, trends.....and it's a-ok with me for them to blaze their own path.

vduboise wrote:
    This is from Curtis on an interview with Billboard
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/exc ... 8374.story

"I make decisions around the band's business that are consistent with their overall philosophy," said Curtis, "which is to sell music in a way that's accessible and affordable to their fans, on every distribution platform that their fans access music, and in a way that takes care of the little guys.

"Everyone's making assumptions because Target is a big corporation," said Curtis. "Its important to remember we just got out of this 18 year relationship with Sony, and I'm pretty sure they are a bigger corporation than Target. We have the freedom to pick our partners and more control when we've ever had before. We're excited to choose who we're in business with."

eggs-actly. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    Funny thing is...Pearl Jam is a corporation.

:lol:
  • Options
    Drew263 wrote:

absolutely.

but of course they are not a HUGE, evil-take-over-the-world corporation like target now, right? ;) so that makes ALL the difference. :? seriously, corporations, in and of themselves, are not inherently *evil*.....they are simply a way of incorporating/protecting your business.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    JT252714JT252714 Posts: 8
    edited June 2009
    Target rules. And I shop there as equally as I shop at Easy Street.
    Post edited by JT252714 on
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,843
    Drew263 wrote:

Sure is....

and...

They sell $200 poster books to their fans....
    $150 re-mastered albums....
    $50 posters...
    baby clothes.......
    more t-shirts than the band KISS.....

etc.
    etc.
    etc....

And Pearl Jam fans have NO PROBLEM handing over thousands and thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$ to their FAN CLUB............

and yet....

Those same fans get bent out of shape because Pearl Jam strikes a deal with Target????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    I WILL BET THAT EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD SHOPS AT TARGET......it really is a joke when you guys get all bent out of shape.....GET A LIFE.....REALLY ....FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO BITCH ABOUT...

side note......if you had a product that sold only to a CERTAIN GROUP of people ....A SHRINKING group of people (aka us "fans")......and you starting to realize that you need to get it out to a BIGGER GROUP of people....A)to MAKE MORE MONEY....B)GET MORE FANS...C) STAY TO GETHER AS A BAND..ETC>ETC>ETC>..........its called marketing .....GOOGLE IT.....

and yes i did say MAKE MORE MONEY.................omg the pearl jam police are going to get me

have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,269
    dunkman wrote:
    about PJ using Target and recording adverts and releasing mini-flash games, Rock Band, etc, etc.....

do you read this forum from a hemp computer that you hand built... and are you using a "parrot on a unicycle"™ powered internet connection?

just wondering ;)
    :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,153
    Target is great. Honestly don't know why this is still here. Grow up people.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    just because you are not aware of the difference doesn't mean there isn't one....i'm sick to death of trying to explain to people who are too fucking complacent to know why they should be pissed in the first place, why Target sucks...just let the shit go..seems it's the "pro multi national corporation people" who keep brining this shit up...if you love being fucked over, ripped off and exploited, that's your bizz..just fucking drop it already!!!!!!!!!! CHRIST!! :x

and for your information dunky...i carved my PC by hand!! WHAT UP?!!! :mrgreen:

wood-computer2.jpg

Actually the Apple I looked kinda like that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    joe2468 wrote:
    I WILL BET THAT EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD SHOPS AT TARGET......it really is a joke when you guys get all bent out of shape.....GET A LIFE.....REALLY ....FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO BITCH ABOUT...

side note......if you had a product that sold only to a CERTAIN GROUP of people ....A SHRINKING group of people (aka us "fans")......and you starting to realize that you need to get it out to a BIGGER GROUP of people....A)to MAKE MORE MONEY....B)GET MORE FANS...C) STAY TO GETHER AS A BAND..ETC>ETC>ETC>..........its called marketing .....GOOGLE IT.....

and yes i did say MAKE MORE MONEY.................omg the pearl jam police are going to get me

Amen. If you don't like corporations and think making profits is wrong that's fine. You'll just need to go ahead and put your money where your mouth is (har har) sell all your possessions and live in the jungle. No one is going to stop you. You can build your own stereo out of fucking bamboo and coconuts and we'll air drop in the new album.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul